GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It reminds of Elizabeth Smart's testimony and how LE approached her in a library once, wondering if it was her. Her kidnapper wouldn't let her remove her face covering and told LE for religious reasons that LE could not see her face. She recounted how she was so angry at herself later for not stepping forward but was scared for her life b/c the woman was squeezing her knee under the table. My point is: an adult would have jumped up and stood behind LE, shouting 'they kidnapped me!' But a 12-yr-old still isn't sure of the consequences - would LE give her back to the kidnapper? would SHE get in trouble? (she thought that up until the end, btw) A 12-year-old preteen lacks the same reasoning skills of an older teen/adult.

ETA: This is OT (kind of), but I do think Elizabeth Smart's testimony is priceless, as someone who was abducted, raped, and held captive for several months. Her thoughts/actions give alot of insight into how a child thinks and how they survive such an ordeal. Their young minds just think differently, especially regarding who is control and the consequences - such as 'getting in trouble' with parents/LE.

My own son is 12. In some ways he's very mature for his age and in others ways...... I just shake my head. My son is trying desperately to figure out things for himself and usually does remarkably well but when he doesn't GOOD GRIEF I wonder how he can sometimes be SO gullible and stupid! He believes just about EVERYTHING his friends tell him, to the point of being ridiculous. I am just very thankful he still shares everything with me and I can help him ask the tough questions and reach an intelligent conclusion, it sure is alot of work....phew!

Transcript of the statements made by JE's mother (SM) at the 3:30 presser today:

Jeff’s mother: Sally Martin at Press Conference 12/7/10

“Jeff, I called you Sunday night to see how everything was going. I told you I’d get back with you Monday. And I just found out what all was going on just yesterday. And I don’t know what’s going on because you haven’t told me. Last night I went to bed and was worried from what I know about you and Brittany. I wondered if you were hungry or if you all were cold. You know you can call me and I just want you to come home and I want you to be safe. And I know you are taking care of Brittney and if you would just take her somewhere and drop her off...call 911 or give me a call...come to the house...do whatever you need to do. We’ll help you work this out. I love you. “

To me, it sounds like maybe she didn't actually talk to him on Sunday night. More like maybe left a message saying "I'll try and reach you tomorrow"

I wonder how much cash he pulled out when he checked out of Walmart ? You know how that little machine asks if you would like cash back after swiping your card. I do not know what the limit is for Walmart but that would give him cash............

If it was a credit card and not a debit card, you cannot get cash back at the checkers line. But if they knew the pin and the credit card had a cash advance option they could get cash out from the atm.

It infuriates me that people get away with using others cards all the flipping time. How could he use a card that said Tina on it. Perhaps she presented the card? Anyways, it bugs me that no one asks for id. /rant over (sorry, I am in banking lol) Just think how it could have caught these two though....if only an id was checked...

If it was a credit card and not a debit card, you cannot get cash back at the checkers line. But if they knew the pin and the credit card had a cash advance option they could get cash out from the atm.

It infuriates me that people get away with using others cards all the flipping time. How could he use a card that said Tina on it. Perhaps she presented the card? Anyways, it bugs me that no one asks for id. /rant over (sorry, I am in banking lol) Just think how it could have caught these two though....if only an id was checked...
It's very rare anymore that you even hand a checker your card. They all have those machines at the checkout where you just swipe the card yourself. No wonder identity theft is exploding.

They also could have gone through self Check out.....?

They also could have gone through self Check out.....?

Yep, good thinking! I have never used those, as the times I have tried were disastrous (lol it took forever and nothing seemed to scan for me). When you use those, do you just scan your items, swipe your card as normal and go about your merry way?

If it was a CC and not a debit card, could they have gotten a cash advance through a Walmart card machine, or is that only possible through an actual bank ATM? I assume if they did go that route, LE would know.

I've been checking this thread obsessively all day, waiting for good news. Hope it comes really soon!

Yep, good thinking! I have never used those, as the times I have tried were disastrous (lol it took forever and nothing seemed to scan for me). When you use those, do you just scan your items, swipe your card as normal and go about your merry way?

You sure do and most times the camera isn't right above... But some Like Home depot Have a Camera right in your face as You use Self Check out...

Wonder if this is blown up from a Walmart photo? Scary dude... (OO)

click

Also I wonder if they might have boughten Cell phones?

To me, it sounds like maybe she didn't actually talk to him on Sunday night. More like maybe left a message saying "I'll try and reach you tomorrow"

your'e right.. maybe she didn't talk to him, but letting him know she's tried to call him several times

attachment.php

No that is not a Tarp..... I think....:waitasec:

I keep seeing a large bucket or round tublike thing with handle. PS - it is hard to write with the snipping tool pen, my handwriting is really not this bad!
bucket.jpg

almost all the ones i saw in the store were in a box. We just looked last weekend with the kids because they are begging to go camping and i know it will hit midnight and will get scared and run in the house (so i refuse to buy and expensive one) LOL But i humored them and we looked with promises of next summer :)

I agree that a tent comes in a box. could be big pull along cooler/tote. I noticed that Brittany is somewhat disarayed, part of blouse is tucked in and some is out. Her hair does not look freshly brushed, but this is all JMO.

Am I to understand there was a welfare check done just like the case in Mt Vernon Oh? knocked on the door and no one answers so they go away???? A welfare check was done on me a couple of months ago. The policeman knocked loudly then walked in the door. (I had left a tape recorder running, whole nother story there) If the door had been locked which most of us do when we are home....what then? do I crash this door in and save someone or do I crash this door in and I have to pay for the door as well as invasion of privacy. etc.\\

There is going to have to be a better law made for this sort of thing. This case has a lot of what we have seen over asnd over again. Someone mentioned why do they go to Walmart. I agree. I also think they are not thinking clearly or would not have left a trail to walmarts as well as run the chance of being seen by someone they knew, or for sure be on the camera.

Attachments

• newwall copy.jpg
    newwall copy.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 35
I wonder how much cash he pulled out when he checked out of Walmart ? You know how that little machine asks if you would like cash back after swiping your card. I do not know what the limit is for Walmart but that would give him cash............

I don't know if they would allow that on a credit card at Wally's. A debit card, yes.
If they did, I would hope at that point a clerk would ask for ID....but, I would say with cc..they wouldn"t give cash back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1