GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Virginia has some law in place about taking cases for free, Not really sure about it I will have to get back to you but lot of Virginia death penalty cases have used public defenders.

The stepping up for attention thing isnt something I have seen done in VA.

I know that in another high profile murder last year, the "Farmville Murders"(20 year old from California who killed a college professor, her daughter who was his online girlfriend,her husband/daughters dad and her daughters friend) the court appointed him one of the best defense attorney's in the state from Richmond who specialized in Capital cases. I think when it is a slam dunk case, they want to make sure that they can't go back and say they had bad representation in the appeals. That kid ended up pleading guilty so he won't go to the electric chair but will spend the rest of his life at the worst prison in VA.

And Thank You Jesus that Brittany is safe. I had a feeling this morning that this would be the day. May the Lord help her as she begins to deal w/ and heal from all this.

S.F. shopper helps capture fugitive, kidnap victim
The San Francisco Chronicle

"A relieved Virginia police chief extended an emotional thank-you from across the country to a San Francisco woman who spotted a fugitive sought in a slaying and kidnapping as she shopped at a Safeway in the Outer Richmond on Friday afternoon.

"We're so thankful to her - for a person to be that observant, 3,000 miles away, is almost incredible," Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder said about the unidentified shopper who recognized Jeffrey Scott Easley, 32, from a TV report and called police, leading to his arrest and the recovery of 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith."

and

"On Friday, San Francisco police called Virginia police after the shopper spotted the fugitive and the girl at the Safeway at 48th Avenue and Fulton Street. They described distinctive tattoos Easley had on his calves to confirm his identity.

"We're immensely happy," Lavinder said late Friday, thanking both the alert shopper and San Francisco police for capturing the man and recovering the kidnap victim without incident.

The two, who were detained at about 1:30 p.m., had been living in a makeshift encampment near Ocean Beach, police said. The tent Easley had purchased at the Virginia Walmart was found in the encampment nearby, police said."

more

What shocks me the most, from the outside looking in this is your "typical" modern family. Nice house, decent car, good job (in a social/hospice field.) I realize that the family was riddled by the death of their son/brother, just escapes me why or if help was sought for those problems? And why JE ever came into the house? Not placing blame here, if anything just makes you realize that your next door neighbors might not be as happy (or emotionally healthy) as you imagine.

Reminds me, I should make more time for my neighbors.

This is so true !

I feel like at the time that JSE entered their lives, TS was very vulnerable. I, as a mother, would never allow someone off the internet to come into my home around my kids, but I know there's a lot of people out there who think different. Not blaming her at all. She was probably trying to make herself happy in some way. Maybe she even had hope that JSE would be some kind of father figure for BS. That's what makes it even worse and makes it very sad for me.

I definitely agree with you that you never know what is going on behind closed doors. A couple of houses around me ( I live in a nice middle class neighborhood ) have gone up for foreclosure and these are families who have parents with good jobs. I would never expect it and they never came off as if they were having financial problems. The same goes for me dealing with personal experience with my younger brother. He was in and out of trouble all the time growing-up, but we hid it from a lot of people and the people who did know said they would have never guessed we were having problems.

Been reading a little more about this, as I haven't followed the story in depth...
It seems there is no TOD for the mother yet....but it seems odd that JE and BS were seen on video, shopping that Friday night, prior to the mother being found Mon.
It appears that only two sleeping bags were purchased. Very odd...
Makes me wonder if the mother was still alive at that point in time.

I am very glad she was found safe.

I wonder when she knew mother was dead. I do not think they would reveal that to her so soon after getting her to safety... more trauma. I think she knew before hand or while traveling with him.

I hope that there are not people who are going to start saying she is part of this. She is a child. This man was a con artist, a predator on a child, even if a normal relationship with mom at first... he became fixated on Brittnay.. she then became his goal. What was the final straw with mom.. I thin she found out and told him to leave.. i think he is sick and wanted the little girl all to himself.. He did groom her.. befriend her. get her trust, probally isolate her, convince her the mom was the bad person in this

I just hope I dont hear calls to NG or JVM accusing Brittnay of willing, or participated in moms death.. she is a child and was being minuplated by him.. and very well may have bonded with him.. that is part of the grooming process.. gain trust.. make a child think he is the only one correct, perhaps have some kind of feelings.. of being a princess to him... promises that were only deception.

In short I am going to be furious if persons start blaming the victem she is a child.. no difference that a 10 year old or 8 year old.. easly controlled and 2 or 3 months is enough to do it,

May Brittnay recover from this.. ironic that she is rescues on the day that Elizabeth Smart showed such grace and inseration to basically the same situation in a sence.. thank you Elizabeth Smart.. your good karma may have led to this in some way.

a blessing but her mommy is gone.. may she one day recover and be stong and help convict this man

For now, we know that Brit is safe & warm. I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that I truly think in some way we were part of her return. She has a long road ahead. As adults, we have done our part in this somewhat happy ending.

I am looking forward to JE's return to our city. I believe he will get his final meal in this one hick town. (Never underestimated us that talk slow and country, we are just 'thinkin' and we will get you in the end!)

Those of you in my area and my 'out there' friends = gosh, it was really heartwarming to know you all are out there! I hope to 'see' you all again. Good night, good wishes, and Merry frickin Christmas, this guy is behind bars!! :) Love yal!

Great work today everyone. The collaboration of theories, ideas, prayers, etc. from everyone here on WebSleuths just blows me away.

We can all sleep easier tonight knowing JE has been caught, and Brittany is safe.

oh my gosh!!!!!!! Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad they found them!

Great work today everyone. The collaboration of theories, ideas, prayers, etc. from everyone here on WebSleuths just blows me away.

We can all sleep easier tonight knowing JE has been caught, and Brittany is safe.
Isn't this great Kaylynn? :)
I think you were the first one that 'befriended' me on this site the other day when I joined and I just wanna say thanks so much. Your posts are great, the people here are great and I plan to return here often. Thanks for making me feel welcome, I absolutely appreciate it!

Isn't this great Kaylynn? :)
I think you were the first one that 'befriended' me on this site the other day when I joined and I just wanna say thanks so much. Your posts are great, the people here are great and I plan to return here often. Thanks for making me feel welcome, I absolutely appreciate it!

You're so welcome! Your posts and insight has been great, and I look forward to getting to know you better on future cases that hopefully end as well as this one as!

I've been catching up on news articles and reports out of San Francisco. I am so glad I can go to sleep tonight knowing that BS is safe. I feel uneasy about what's to come, but I know everything is in God's hands and the main goal of today was to find BS alive and that was accomplished.

Good night my fellow "detectives" !

:)

I, personally, have just been lurking this thread and watching the news...just praying and praying.

My life has been so not the greatest these days (the awesome military hubby was JUST sent "overseas" a month after I moved from NY to GA to be with him again...GRRR) and sometimes it gets to be too much to follow these cases that seemingly always have horrible endings...

But this has given me such hope and increased happiness that things you think will never happen...can happen.

I am so thankful that she has been found. I have been praying and praying that she would be found...and tonight was just so thrilling for me to know that she has been found.

I attribute a lot of my happiness in this case to you guys, my fellow websleuths. You guys are amazing and smart and just amaze me every single day on many different cases.

Thanks guys.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/10/virginia.missing.child/index.html?iref=NS1

(CNN) -- A tip from someone in a San Francisco supermarket led police to a Virginia girl and her alleged abductor ending a nationwide search with an arrest, police said.

Someone in a Safeway store recognized Jeffrey Scott Easley, 32, and Brittany Mae Smith, 12, on Friday afternoon from the many times they had been featured on CNN, said San Francisco Police Officer Albie Esparza.

Police were called, and the two were found shortly thereafter outside the store -- more than 2,300 miles from where the girl was reported missing four days earlier -- Roanoke County, Virginia police Chief Ray Lavinder said Friday evening. Police in San Francisco then contacted their counterparts in Virginia with the news.

Now that I think about it.... she had a pretty large nice looking pool in her backyard, could he have drowned her? Then again, it's dang cold here, would that be impossible or another 'sunset boulevard' scenerio?

I heard it was blunt force trauma. This was from an earlier report that has since been redacted. Now I hear that LE hasn't released info how Tina died.

MOO

Mel

LE may hold off on murder charges until he gets back to VA since there wouldn't be any basis in fighting extradition over the kidnapping charges alone. MOO

They're not going to charge anyone with murder until they put all their evidence together. They need probable cause to get a warrant...all their i's must be dotted, t's crossed. It must be done in such a way that the case can't be tossed out on some tiny technicality. That would accomplish nothing. It generally doesn't work as fast as on TV, even though that would be great!

this is great news to wake up to! now hopefully we will learn what really happened... im feeling greatly relieved that je is off the streets and bs is safe and alive... no matter who played what role we KNOW that je is public enemy #1 in this mess... it appears that he had nefarious intentions from day one. i hope he gets the fullest effects of the law. he took ts's life, he took bs's mother. the fact that he didnt kill bs shouldnt make his situation any better and he better not even try to implicate bs or blame her - shes 12. he is the adult that could have prevented this IF in fact bs had even wanted to runaway or hurt her own mother...

Could it be that both JE & BS are saying that when they left that night she was out back "having a smoke" or something? I don't know if TS was a smoker or not. Do they know for sure that she was murdered? Maybe she committed suicide?

I believe that Tina was already deceased when the Walmart video is taken (whether Brittany knew that or learned it on the road I don't have an opinion yet, but I am leaning towards she knew before), and his hands are clearly not brusied or scabbed in that video, I am thinking murder weapon. When the family said beat to death I had assumed fist fight, but he may have blugenoed her with an item.

That could have been buried in the backyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic