GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first article says visitors can be in the park anytime but cannot sleep there. So it would appear they didn't have the tent erected there, imo. And that also leads me to now wonder just where they were staying, or had they just arrived in San Francisco? MOO

I was in downtown Seattle yesterday driving in circles looking for a place that my parking skills could put hubbys new super duty without being the first one to ding/scratch/ding it (it took several laps), but there was a huge empty lot for county vehicles that was marked 300 times with no tresspassing, no unauthorized persons, you will be prosecuted, etc etc etc

There were at least a dozen homeless people set up in tents under the no tresspassing signs. I almost took a picture since it struck me as funny how blatant it was mixed in with the cop car parking.

The one thing I'm not surprised at is they were in a large metropolitan area. It's like hiding in plain sight. What I am curious about, however, is how they could've gotten there with the national media coverage, without being detected en route unless JE drove, or had inside help. I cannot see them on a Greyhound or Amtrak. MOO

This is why I'm thinking someone helped them. If the truck driver story does play out, it would make sense to leave Tuesday since the story broke Monday. I could see JSE thinking he needed to ditch the car ASAP. If they were traveling with someone, that person could tell them to stay in hiding and have helped them out by going into stores, getting food, etc. for them. One thing that throws me off is they knew the story was all over yet they walked around in the norm in San Francisco.

I wonder if they changed their appearance ?

I lived in San Fran for 2 months. I was SCARED at the amount of homeless out there. I remember walking in the financial district one bustling morning, and one of them grabbed me. Scared the heck out of me. Everywhere.. in the nice areas, the poor areas, the touristy areas - they were everywhere. I even remember thinking at the time "if I was ever homeless, I'd come to San Fran because it's so beautiful out here."

Anyways, it's normal to see homeless camped out all over the city.

Thank God for the diligent Safeway clerk. She deserves a raise, a bonus, and national recognition.

I'm headed to bed now. Night, sleuths! :)

I was in downtown Seattle yesterday driving in circles looking for a place that my parking skills could put hubbys new super duty without being the first one to ding/scratch/ding it (it took several laps), but there was a huge empty lot for county vehicles that was marked 300 times with no tresspassing, no unauthorized persons, you will be prosecuted, etc etc etc

There were at least a dozen homeless people set up in tents under the no tresspassing signs. I almost took a picture since it struck me as funny how blatant it was mixed in with the cop car parking.

I get your point! :) However, if they couldn't legally sleep in the park, and him being wanted, I wouldn't think he would want to attract the attention of LE during a night-time park raid. It was just curiosity mainly as to how long they may have been in SF, or if they had just arrived there. MOO

The first article says visitors can be in the park anytime but cannot sleep there. So it would appear they didn't have the tent erected there, imo. And that also leads me to now wonder just where they were staying, or had they just arrived in San Francisco? MOO

there is another park just a couple of blocks north of the safeway, too.

Hence the possible truck driving friend...or possibly any truck driver in general.

O/T: (Kind of) Those Roanoker's and Salemites who have joined WS over this case...please stick around. Like someone mentioned the Berlinghoff case needs help...but also another local Roanoke Co. woman's case needs big help as well. Joan Renee Cook has been missing since around the first of the year. You can find here thread here on WS. Some "new eyes" and fresh perspectives would be great!

This case has always been in the back of mind. Once again, Joan Renee Cook is missing and her case has hit a dead end. It bothers me as well because as I said earlier, she was last seen right down the street from me. From what I hear as well, her ( ex ) ? husband has disappeared. If anyone has any insight or opinions, please feel free to check it out and help !

I get your point! :) However, if they couldn't legally sleep in the park, and him being wanted, I wouldn't think he would want to attract the attention of LE during a night-time park raid. It was just curiosity mainly as to how long they may have been in SF, or if they had just arrived there. MOO

There are tons of homeless in S.F. that sleep there, despite the laws. And I believe S.F. just passed the sit/lie law, which means you can't sit or lie down on the sidewalk (to keep homeless from doing so). This could mean a lot more people off the downtown streets and into the parks.

ETA: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/11/29/sit-lie-law-takes-to-the-streets-of-s-f/ Info on the sit/lie law.

This is why I'm thinking someone helped them. If the truck driver story does play out, it would make sense to leave Tuesday since the story broke Monday. I could see JSE thinking he needed to ditch the car ASAP. If they were traveling with someone, that person could tell them to stay in hiding and have helped them out by going into stores, getting food, etc. for them. One thing that throws me off is they knew the story was all over yet they walked around in the norm in San Francisco.

I wonder if they changed their appearance ?

Since the store clerk recognized them, I'm doubting they changed appearance, or at least not much. I believe JE just didn't ever think they'd be recognized across the country from where the media was reporting sightings - especially with the last ones being in Alabama and Florida. And in such a diverse city as San Francisco, he could've just thought they'd blend in or no one would pay attention. MOO

there is another park just a couple of blocks north of the safeway, too.

Maybe they migrated between the two parks then. I do have a feeling, however, the car is somewhere closer to the east coast. MOO

Since the store clerk recognized them, I'm doubting they changed appearance, or at least not much. I believe JE just didn't ever think they'd be recognized across the country from where the media was reporting sightings - especially with the last ones being in Alabama and Florida. And in such a diverse city as San Francisco, he could've just thought they'd blend in or no one would pay attention. MOO

I agree. It seemed like no sightings meant they were either camping off the grid or deceased. For some reason, traveling cross country didn't seem like a possibility.

The law says one thing and the reality of it is very different in the city and everyone up here knows that. They would probably have asked someone already set up in GGP or BP or anyone of the other areas and would have gotten the answer of "don't worry about it, they never kick us out" which is very true. They really don't do raids in the area. There are a lot of good innocent down on their luck individuals living on the streets and in parks in the city, there are also a lot of criminals hiding out living the same way. It is a HUGE problem that unless you've seen it first hand you really just can't comprehend, cuz it's mind blowing, sad, but true.

I agree. It seemed like no sightings meant they were either camping off the grid or deceased. For some reason, traveling cross country didn't seem like a possibility.

Seriously... when you think of what has happened with the Amber Alerts, MSM, and shows like Nancy Grace --- it all came together to find this 12-yr-old girl. This is huge country. We have 2.3 BILLION ACRES of land! And they were about 2500 miles from their starting point. It's quite something when you think about it - that they ended up where just the right person spotted them. :woohoo:

I must say, japandaa, I have never heard of this lady being missing.. I grew up and lived in Rke my entire life up until a move to C'burg 3 yrs ago. I will certainly check this case out because that's not right. I will check this out tomorrow (after the wine from celebrating tonight has worn off :)
What is going on around here? What about the two VT kids killed last year near Jefferson Nat'l Forest? And the UVA girl? And of course 4/16 on tech's campus? And the beheading at VT two years ago? It's insane. And this is just from my regional knowledge, what about all the countrywide killings??

Just got in from a party, this is great news!! I pray that she has a strong support system no mattered how this went down, she is going to need it.

I lived in San Fran for 2 months. I was SCARED at the amount of homeless out there. I remember walking in the financial district one bustling morning, and one of them grabbed me. Scared the heck out of me. Everywhere.. in the nice areas, the poor areas, the touristy areas - they were everywhere. I even remember thinking at the time "if I was ever homeless, I'd come to San Fran because it's so beautiful out here."

Anyways, it's normal to see homeless camped out all over the city.

Thank God for the diligent Safeway clerk. She deserves a raise, a bonus, and national recognition.

I'm headed to bed now. Night, sleuths! :)

I've watched a couple of documentaries on runaways and homeless people in San Francisco. It was amazing how they had their "own" system and helped each other out, even knowing some of them had committed crimes or were underage runaways. There were so many of them too and most of the time, after time, they move on down the coast.

FYI, local news just said that the four detectives will be leaving in the morning for SF to pick up BS and that <modsnip> JE.
A woman (of course! J.K. :)) saw the two and called police.

She is in Child Protective Services and he is in the SF Jail.

We are NOT allowed to sleuth friends from Facebook/Myspace!!! As far as we know, he has NOTHING to do with this!

If something is mentioned in MSM about this friend, then you may discuss him.

KNOCK IT OFF!

I would like to know why San Francisco? What was his connection to SF? How did he know that he could hide there? This now turns to research for me for future cases. This is an anomaly and not something I've seen often, so I hope I can find some clues that will make sense of it. Old girlfriend, family, family friends he had once visited (not that he had connected with any of them, just a reason for knowing SF).

FYI, local news just said that the four detectives will be leaving in the morning for SF to pick up BS and that jerk JE.
A woman (of course! J.K. :)) saw the two and called police.

This is good news. Get them back in Virginia, then ask questions.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during these interviews yet at the same time, I know I get "emotional" watching cases on TV ; so I would probably be on a string of highs and lows from crying to wanting to hit someone. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member