GUILTY VA - Yeardley Love, 22, UVA student, beaten to death, Charlottesville, May 2010 *civil trial 2022*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
seems the jurors are moving along at a good pace, just had a question on the 21st jury instruction - there are about 30 instructions so seems they may have taken the break from end of trial to today to think about case and come to some conclusions about which way they will vote

Judge has also said to both sides to stay close, we may have a very speedy verdict and the jury may have more questions

seems the jurors are moving along at a good pace, just had a question on the 21st jury instruction - there are about 30 instructions so seems they may have taken the break from end of trial to today to think about case and come to some conclusions about which way they will vote
Unfortunately they wanted clarification over the word "reason" in the jury instruction.
IDK maybe I'm cynical but that doesn't sound promising at this point. Then again I don't have the 21st jury instruction to see how it reads.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/16989519/huguely-trial-day-12

I hope there is a quick verdict and that it is at least 2nd degree murder...I am not sure he intended to kill her initially, but would not object to first-degree, since once he began harming her, he could have stopped before she was dead. JMO

4 hours and counting, I may have been a tad optomistic in my thinking there would be a very quick verdict

I hope there is a quick verdict and that it is at least 2nd degree murder...I am not sure he intended to kill her initially, but would not object to first-degree, since once he began harming her, he could have stopped before she was dead. JMO

he did, the ME said it took a while for her to die after the attack, so he did leave her alive

whether she could have been saved by medical intervention if she had been found before she died is doubtful due to the nature of the brain injuries she suffered according to the ME - but then the defence experts opinions would allow one to think it was reasonanable to think if she was found she could have been saved as in there opinion the brain injury was not as severe as ME said it was, I guess the jury will have to decide on what they feel his intentions were

I would go for 2nd degree murder, as I don't think he ever wanted her dead, but his actions in my opinion caused her death

jury have now asked for the letter he wrote to Yeardley - the full contents of letter not released but reporters attending say that part of it is about how he knows alcohol is ruining his life,

to me this goes to some on the jury feeling he did not intend to kill Yeardley and my impression that some had sympathy with him

jury have now asked for the letter he wrote to Yeardley - the full contents of letter not released but reporters attending say that part of it is about how he knows alcohol is ruining his life,

to me this goes to some on the jury feeling he did not intend to kill Yeardley and my impression that some had sympathy with him

Apparently, via tweets, the letter also states ""I can assure you that I will never act as I did Saturday night." It could also show that he knew he had a problem with drinking and violence but didn't address it. Kinda like the drunk driver who keeps getting DUIs until he finally kills someone. So I'm not sure whether asking for the letter is a good sign for the defense or not. I'm concerned that it's taking the jury so long. They are probably haggling over degree.

well my optimism about a fast verdict has come to nought, judge is going to inquire of them at 5pm, maybe he will see if they wish to continue on or come back for another day

I am thinking there are a couple of 'sympathetic' jurors and the rest are trying to move them to the 1st degree murder guilty verdict. I hope they do not hang.

jurors say they are progressing fine, judge will check back at 6

Verdict is in as per HLN Just waiting for everyone to get back in the courthouse. 9 hours of deliberation.

Excellent. RIP Yeardley and peace to her family.

guilty of second degree murder, I agree with jury thats what I would have gone for,

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpond1972
Back