GUILTY Vanderbilt Rape Retrial - Brandon Vandenburg, and Cory Batey

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Under the laws of TN his ability to 'perform' does not mitigate the crimes he committed. The state knew full well exactly what he did and they charged him. He was convicted the first time on the exact same evidence (and damn that juror from 1st trial!). It's a local story and there is much more important and far-reaching national news happening now. Publicity does not mean someone will be convicted. In fact, the less publicity the better!

Thank you for the information re: TN law! I understand publicity doesn't convict someone, thank goodness! That's not what I meant. I believe that maybe if these local stories were more publicized, connections could be made by some that yes, these things do happen and that yes, the same type of defense is used over and over and that it's BS. There's practically a formula at this point, and that's terrible. There needs to be a change. But, I also think maybe it would be worse for the victim if they are. So yeah, I don't know. This just fills me with equal parts rage and sadness. JMO :)

Under the laws of TN his ability to 'perform' does not mitigate the crimes he committed. The state knew full well exactly what he did and they charged him. He was convicted the first time on the exact same evidence (and damn that juror from 1st trial!). It's a local story and there is much more important and far-reaching national news happening now. Publicity does not mean someone will be convicted. In fact, the less publicity the better!
How did the 1st jury vote? one hold out?

The first jury convicted <mod snip> (Mod add: Vandenburg) as well as Batey, but then the defense team heard from an incarcerated sex offender that he (the sex offender) had statutorily raped the jury foreman some 20 years earlier. The jury foreman never disclosed this during his voir dire and his excuse was he didn't consider what happened a 'rape'. He was underage which is why the other guy got convicted.

Anyway, judge threw out the jury verdict and declared a mistrial and here we are for round 2.

Brandon Vandenburg found GUILTY on all 8 counts.
5 counts of aggravated rape, 2 counts of aggravated sexual battery & 1 count of unlawful photography

Vanderbilt Rape Retrial Verdict 06/18/16
[video=youtube;zwFA2_DC5nA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFA2_DC5nA[/video]

Does anyone know who the red-head is who is openly weeping when the verdict is read?

Does anyone know who the red-head is who is openly weeping when the verdict is read?

Brandon picked the wrong girl..wrong state..wrong lawyers. This was not the first time he did something like this..seemed so normal students just walked on by...interesting that father and brothers not in there..they were told the verdict in advance as the court expected some outburst by the father I am sure..the victim is so brave but honestly I would be very afraid of that father...he seems like he could go unhinged quickly. Perez was a terrible atty and may have had a better chance arguing strongly for lesser included..then he talks appeal? After 2 cases of unanimous quilt results what appeal court would hear that?

Brandon Vandenburg guilty on all counts in Vanderbilt rape retrial

The jury of seven women and five men deliberated 4½ hours before delivering the verdicts at about 8:20 p.m. Jurors found Vandenburg guilty on all eight counts, exposing him to a prison sentence of 15 to 25 years.

The victim nodded in the courtroom as the verdicts against the man she once trusted were read one by one.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/06/18/vanderbilt-rape-trial-brandon-vandenburg/86052710/

Yes it was Brandon's mother sobbing in the front row. His dad wasn't in the court room due to previous outburst I believe during the last trial verdict. No not a very good defense lawyers! imo

Thank you for posting the verdict and the info on this case. I couldn't watch this as it was just too painful. My then 17 yo daughter was raped at a frat house after being drugged. She did not know who the guys were nor did she remember much. We dealt with the ensuing medical issues, however I felt helpless as a mother to fix the residual....

I don't think any attorney could have gotten him acquitted. It was *right there* on video. Can't deny that! And the images and videos he sent to his buddies... also can't deny. This is not just a he said/she said case. This was a dumb evil jock and his dumb evil jock friends who got caught every which way they could have been caught.

Ironically it wasn't the victim herself who ever pointed the finger since she didn't even know it had happened until police told her and showed her the pictures.

Goodbye <modsnip>! Hope you get decades in prison -- you earned every guilty verdict, you entitled evil rapist!

Thank you for posting the verdict and the info on this case. I couldn't watch this as it was just too painful. My then 17 yo daughter was raped at a frat house after being drugged. She did not know who the guys were nor did she remember much. We dealt with the ensuing medical issues, however I felt helpless as a mother to fix the residual....

So sorry for what your daughter and you went through. I pray your daughter is healing.

Brandon Vandenburg guilty on all counts in Vanderbilt rape retrial

The jury of seven women and five men deliberated 4½ hours before delivering the verdicts at about 8:20 p.m. Jurors found Vandenburg guilty on all eight counts, exposing him to a prison sentence of 15 to 25 years.

The victim nodded in the courtroom as the verdicts against the man she once trusted were read one by one.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/06/18/vanderbilt-rape-trial-brandon-vandenburg/86052710/

Yes it was Brandon's mother sobbing in the front row. His dad wasn't in the court room due to previous outburst I believe during the last trial verdict. No not a very good defense lawyers! imo
I was really struck by the lack of appropriate emotion for the victim.

I agree no attorney could have gotten him off but something about Perez was so slippery and insincere...they made a decision to argue only for acquittal which most agreed was a very long shot...if the jury were more focused on lesser charges it is possible some might have gone that direction due to him not actually doing things but telling others....but I agree 100% with verdict.i think the father is most upset that his son got caught not at all caring about the victim..I think Brandon is just like his dad

What's Next For Rape Convict Brandon Vandenburg

After being convicted of aggravated rape, Brandon Vandenburg spent his first days in alone in a jail cell, after which he would be moved into the jail's general population.

That's where he may soon be reunited fellow Vanderbilt rape convict Cory Batey.

[...]

His mental health was a concern. "From the jail perspective we have to protect the inmate. We put him in 72 hours observation," said sheriff's spokesperson Karla West.

She said after three days a doctor would review Vandenburg's status and then, "Probably he will be put in general populationm," said West.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/whats-next-for-rape-convict-brandon-vandenburg

Brandon Vandenburg
Appearance Details
Scheduled: 7/15/2016 9:00 AM
Judge: Watkins, Monte
Court Room: Birch Bldg, Court Room 5A
Reason: *Sentence Hearing

Cory Batey
Appearance Details
Scheduled: 7/15/2016 9:00 AM
Judge: Watkins, Monte
Court Room: Birch Bldg, Court Room 5A
Reason: *Sentence Hearing

https://sci.ccc.nashville.gov/Search/Search

Former Vanderbilt football player sentenced to 15 years in rape case

Former Vanderbilt football player Cory Batey was sentenced to 15 years in prison Friday morning just over three years after the on-campus rape.

[...]

Before reading the sentence, Judge Monte Watkins said the Vanderbilt rape case is one of the saddest cases he has ever encountered.

Ultimately Batey received 15 years in prison.

[...]

His former co-defendant Brandon Vandenburg will be sentenced on Sept. 30, 2016.

http://wavy.com/2016/07/15/former-vanderbilt-football-player-sentenced-to-15-years-in-rape-case/

Brandon Vandenburg sentenced to 17 years in Vanderbilt rape case

Prosecutors sought the upper end of the 15- to 25-year range of possible prison time for Vandenburg’s convictions of aggravated rape, aggravated sexual battery and unlawful photography. But they did not put an exact number on how much time behind bars they believed was enough.

They argued Vandenburg betrayed the victim’s trust and was a leader in the attack.

Nashville Criminal Court Judge Monte Watkins agreed with the state on those two points. And before he handed down the 17-year term, he also noted that 23-year-old Vandenburg had community support and seemed remorseful.

The sentence does not include parole eligibility, meaning Vandenburg must serve all 17 years. He is already on the sex offender registry and will be there for life based on his crimes.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...enced-17-years-vanderbilt-rape-case/91113160/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KellzBellz01
Back