Verdict: GUILTY!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickton was found guilty of 2nd degree but the judge ruled 25 years with NO chance of parole for 25 years.

Given that Heeney will be the sentencing judge, hopefully he could at least match that. Also, when MTR would ever apply for parole after that time, the NPB would be aware of what the whole world now knows, so IMO his chances for parole would be zilch. He can rot and die in prison like the Beast of British Columbia.

Thank you for pointing out that a person can be found guilty of 2nd degree murder and still get the maximum penalty afforded under Canadian law. Wider legal context is always useful.

a side note: What is it with all the "light" suspended sentences for pedaphiles in Canada? Seems it is taken more seriously in the states. MOO

I am actually feeling sorry for TLM today. She was basically just a kid herself who was manipulated by a monster. Deep down I think she was an OK person, just needed more guidance in life then what she had. Sorry if anyone disagrees...JMO and feeling crummy about the breaking news last night.

I see what you are saying and it does make us wonder if TLM is more a product of her own miserable life. Contrast to Rafferty who i believe was born a bad seed and thrived on himself and his selfish needs. MOO

i don't think she knew. Didn't he have a hard rive hidden behind his dresser? and you can set up browsers like Chrome and Firefox to delete your history and to enable private browsing. I'm sure he went to great pains to hide all that crap. In any case, I doubt his mom was checking up on his computer history, since he was not a teenager.

No I mean now that its public

Agreed but shouldnt have this case fallen under the grandfather rule with the warrant? To me it makes no sense, if the law changed just after Tori then why wouldnt they fall under the rules of 2009?

Just thinking, do you have links about when the rule changed and what grandfather clauses, if any, apply? Sorry am not up on that JMO

Live Rafferty chat

11:50
Randy Richmond:
@guest: Jury had no reaction during video. Some read transcript provided, some took notes.
fb_share2.png

11:50

Comment From guest
Is the jury finished watching the video of Ms, McClintic? What is the jury doing next?
fb_share2.png

dynamic_resize

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/05/11/19745676.html

guys.. I am thinking I need to go to the grocery store to speed this along... (being as I was on a roller coaster... literally.. when the Anthony verdict broke)

of course we want a different verdict.. but I think if I leave something will happen lol

11:49

Randy Richmond:
@christine: I have received a lot of feedback re: MR computer.. You said it, Everyone shocked.

11:49

Comment From christine

what has been the reaction of people regarding the 'evidence' that was released once the jury was sequestered? It is quite disturbing!

11:46

Randy Richmond:

@Tannia: Not too many people awaiting verdict. Mostly media.
fb_share2.png

11:46

Comment From Tannia

is there a lot of people surrounding the inside and outside of the courthouse waiting to hear the verdict???

11:53
Randy Richmond: @Guest. Yes, media will be allowed in courthouse and in courtroom , if necessary.
11:52
Comment From Guest
will court be open for media tomorrow?

11:52
Randy Richmond: @grant I think legal process has worked well. Judge fair to both sides. Both sides fought hard but fairly. Very emotional trial. Very hard on family. Hard on some reporters too.
11:51
Comment From grant
can you at this time give a general comments as to what you seem and heard over the past few months. And at present any concerns you may have regarding the process
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/05/11/19745676.html

He can be tried again if the verdict is not guilty ... it's all a matter of arguing that the judge erred somewhere in his rulings. I don't think that will be difficult since one of the rulings was based on a law that had not been passed at the time of the event ... speciically, the requirement for a separate search warrant for the laptop that was in the car (which was covered under a search warrant for the car).

If the verdict comes out not guilty and the Crown appeals and gets a new trial, I presume the evidence that was disallowed this time will be disallowed again. However, it's all out there now and you wouldn't find a jury in all of Canada that does not know the truth. They'd look at the evidence presented to them in a whole new light. JMO

11:45

Randy Richmond:

@Mike. No, jury just watched video. Judge reminded them there's other evidence to consider if they want about TLM's stories.
fb_share2.png

11:45

Comment From Mike

Any questions from the jury regarding the video or anything else? or was it just a request to watch the interrogation again?

guys.. I am thinking I need to go to the grocery store to speed this along... (being as I was on a roller coaster... literally.. when the Anthony verdict broke)

of course we want a different verdict.. but I think if I leave something will happen lol

Thanks for taking "one for the team" Nurse LOL I know when i left the Anthony verdict came in.

I know how you feel. I have to leave but i am hoping a guilty verdict on all charges happens soon even if i miss it. I will be thinking and hoping for the jury decide as soon as possible! GUILTY!

Sorry Nurse...posted already and didn't read your message before.

Rodney said that they knew about the stuff we just found out about last night. I am glad they knew all along but it must have been salt on this huge, gaping wound. They are so strong, it just amazes me.

I wonder if MTR's Mom knew?

11:44

Randy Richmond:

@FM. No

11:44

Comment From FM
Was the girl that Rafferty ask for her first born Testify

Agreed but shouldnt have this case fallen under the grandfather rule with the warrant? To me it makes no sense, if the law changed just after Tori then why wouldnt they fall under the rules of 2009?

Some evidence was rejected because there was no second warrant for electronics that were in the car. Other evidence was rejected because the Judge determined that it spoke to character. I think that decision could also be appealed as some of that evidence also related to premeditation. I see this as an easy appeal case for the crown ... if needed.

On the other hand, how could the jury possibly believe that MR didn't know that he was participating in the kidnapping of a child?

No that is okay, I can find it.

I would actually prefer to hear a layperson's reasoning, but of course, you don't have to. Legal-speak makes my brain tired.

I understand that the other case referenced place v. thing, but the internet hadn't yet been established as a place yet. That is the issue that I have. Anyway, I will go look for the link and thank you in advance for posting it. :eek:)

Thanks for understanding. I am not great at layperson speak. I wasn't thinking internet as a place, was thinking laptop as a personal place, like a car, IMO. JMO. Am sure more info will come out about this shortly JMO/IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member