Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the jurors know they would be replaced by a new jury if they were deadlocked?

I'm sure they knew....just asking to be sure...

They are going to drag this out for a long, long time...

The Alexander family is tough...they can deal with it...

Well, this was disappointing today, but maybe she will get the DP next time.

The wrongful death lawsuit will also be pending too. I hope they get every penny she has.

I agree with you and I hate feeling the way I do about the jury. I think it was too soon to give up but I guess Memorial Day weekend coming up was a big kicker for them.

And I can't help feeling like if it were Travis on trial for stabbing Jodi 29 times and shooting her in the face and slashing her throat........he would be on his way to death row RIGHT NOW.
That was my exact thought. If the victim had been a female and the murdered was a male, I think the death penalty would have been the verdict.

Hey holdouts:

Jodi Arias was arrested while making a getaway in a rented car with a gun and two knives hidden in the engine. How redeemable is that?

I hope now JUAN CAN BRING IN THE GUN AND KNIVES AND OTHER AGGRAVATING THINGS INTO THE NEW PENALTY PHASE! I send prayers to Alexander Family and JUAN and DEt Florez

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 3m
Just got off the phone with #jodiarias mom Sandy. Says she was in town the whole time. Disappointed another jury has to be sat

She was in town and did not show up. WTH

As I understand it she's still convicted of murder 1. The deadlocked jury just means that if they still want to try for the death penalty they have to have a whole new trial. It doesn't mean that she'll never get the death penalty. I believe these are the choices the state faces right now:

1. Re-try her with a new jury that is only going to decide death penalty or Life. If the jury decides LWOP the judge can pick with or without parole.

2. Remove the death penalty from the table and let the judge decide to sentence her to LWOP with the possibility of parole or without the possibility of parole.

If there is anything else they can do let me know. The talking heads are saying she'll probably ask for new council and get it. I'm guessing that will delay the new trial for about a year.

How far off am I?

I just keep thinking about how I felt when OJ got off completely. He brutally slaughtered TWO people, including the mother of his children and an a guy who just happened to show up at the wrong time. They had every bit of evidence anyone could ever want. And he walked. WALKED. Compared to how devastating that was, this seems less dire. I remember how Ron Goldman's sister just fell apart. Imagine how that must have felt. I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should feel, I'm just trying to help myself by providing a little context.

Someone on the jury was not willing to deliberate. After two hours they knew.
Why? No mitigating factors, no witnesses. It doesn't make sense. I think someone on that jury was not going to give death no matter what.

(((Sleuthers)))

Please be hopeful! You would be amazed at the numbers of people that don't know anything about this case!!

Think of all the people you know that don't tweet or Facebook. I had to go through the whole ca trial by myself, because all of my close friends just don't follow trials. I'm so glad I found WS!

Now her interviews are admissible!:seeya: Hopefully we will have a better idea of the number of dp supporters on the jury...

I guess I'm the only one who is glad (not shocked) that JA's family was not there for her today. She doesn't deserve it. She is evil in human form (looks like a human at times).

No, they can, but I don't think the judge will allow it $$$$$ (per Arizona Law).

Plus she called them out in her interviews. For not calling witnesses who would testify to her bruises from abuse from Travis the Perpetrator

I think it is very unfair to compare these jurors with the CA jury. Jodi has been convicted, she will be going to prison. These jurors don't know everything we know. They took their job very seriously. That was proven through out the trial. My heart is breaking for the Alexander family. I personally am disappointed, but I am not going to bash these jurors. They did the best they could. None of us had to endure what they have for the last 5 months.

Not even close. She was CONVICTED OF CAPITOL MURDER. It is a done deal. All there is left is the Penalty Phase. She is a CONVICTED MURDERER.

MTE! She was convicted. This is sentencing. Yes, it sucks, but sentencing between LWOP and DP is the freaking icing of the cake.

I hope Juan Martinez realizes how brilliant he was during this whole trial.

Will CMJA get to stay in jail or will she have to move to prison? That's my concern. I don't want her back with her girlfriends hamming it up on the pod.

She has yet to be sentenced.

She's not going anywhere.

Settle in to hear more Jailhouse Idol performances.

Since the guilt and cruelty phases are conclusively decided, I wonder if we can look forward to the "unsealing" of a number of documents from those phases?

Last time with the trial-that-shall-not-be-named, I logged out without commenting when the verdict was read and didn't come back until Trayvon Martin was shot (I'd like to follow that case, but I couldn't handle a not guilty veridct). THIS time however I am much more calm. Because the state got that conviction. She was found guilty of murder in the first degree. And I'm not saying this to comfort myself. Even before the verdict, I thought LWOP would be a very very hard sentence. Some people think JA would thrive in prison. I doubt that. To be locked up in a cell for the rest of your natural life, when it hits her, it's gonna hit her hard.

Here's hoping for a new jury that will give her the death penalty. But if not, JA will grow old, childless and die in prison.

BBM

That's a big one. Regardless of what happens next, THAT dream will never be realized. No matter what, thank god, she will never, ever have children of her own. Huge loss for her, I think.

Per the verdict, it's truly tragic. I am fighting my crusty, barnacled self here, but I'm having problems. I cannot help but think a juror may have slid past JM during voir dire with plans to hang on the DP all along. Such a plan then executed in an effort to parlay their rogue position into $$$$ gain.

Please tell me I've become jaded after spending too much time dealing with weasels in Los Angeles. :please:

The jury was all on the same page until mitigation.

Either someone bought her sob story or we'll be hearing misconduct rumors soon.

No .. the jury could look at all possible mitigators, not just the ones argued by her DT it's possible one or two of them thought there were examples of provocation by Travis, that she was suffering from acute mental distress at the time of the murder or a number of other possibilities listed .. we have a thread on mitigation, a lot of examples are argued there ..

The jury was all on the same page until mitigation.

Either someone bought her sob story or we'll be hearing misconduct rumors soon.

Someone lied when asked if they could apply the death penalty.
As NG said, look at the autopsy photos again, she slaughtered Travis like a pig in a barn, what else would she have to do to deserve death?
Someone sabotaged this from the start.

Hey holdouts:

Jodi Arias was arrested while making a getaway in a rented car with a gun and two knives hidden in the engine. How redeemable is that?

:seeya: Good one !

And wait til these jurors get home and start watching what they were NOT shown in court about the convicted murderer !

I hope one of the first things they watch is Jodi's interview where she said the jury "BETRAYED" her ... I think it was the GMA interview ...

Well ... someone -- or more -- on that jury obviously did NOT betray her today because they "saved her life" ...

I am stunned ... just stunned ...

MOO ...

John Gilliland ‏@AZRadioNewsGuy 35m
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery says he intends to retry the #JodiArias penalty phase

Levi Page ‏@Levi_Page 13m
That nut job Donovan Bering tweeting for #JodiArias is on @NancyGraceHLN whining she wasn't allowed in court. STFU you convicted felon.

Wholeheartedly, 100% agree with his decision. She deserves the death penalty, and I support Arizona's decision to see this to completion. Justice has not been served, yet, and I don't want to hear any more mealy-mouthed verbiage from TH's that Arizona should just cave in and give her life. Now, THAT would be cowardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95