VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to reiterate what I said in the first trial. 12 strangers should not be deciding Jodi's fate. That, in my opinion, should be the back up system. Personally, I believe the family, friends, and loved ones of the victim should have the right to determine the sentence of the perpetrator that took their loved one away unless they would prefer not to. There are many families that wouldn't choose death but for those that would, and desire it for the perpetrator, it seems an added cruelty to leave it in the hands of others.

JMO

What did she win? In reality everyone knows no one is taking her life. After this she is going to PRISON. not jail. It will be different and it will sink in that that is that. She will never ever ever get out.

Life the jury hangs are you really so sure JSS will give her LWOP? I am not. She can't get out now. But she already has years served. Some day the laws could change in AZ. And Jodi, being a manipulator, could convince everyone she has changed. People have very short memories.

That's just terrible. That would be an immediate block for me. Plus someone needs a prescription for xanax if they are getting that crazy! wowza

Make sure to report that. That is not in the spirit of WS at all. I have been on the end of some of those crappy PM's.

Hang in there.

Well, if it's hung or life, JSS would have gotten her wish; no worries of successful appeals overturning a DP sentence... Because she made a DP verdict impossible!

exhibited by the trial management skills of this judge, combined with the the excess of testimony concerning the victim rather than the defendant, may have tended to skew the perception of the jury here as to what the actual issues were. I have a legal background and I found it incredibly difficult to reconcile the fact that this was supposed to be a trial about whether there was sufficient mitigation to spare the life of the defendant with the actual proceedings which focused on proctorial misconduct, *advertiser censored*/child *advertiser censored*/computer evidence and the psychological "experts" who focused on the psychological makeup and tendencies of the victim rather than on the defendant. I really believe a different judge may have made a difference. This should never have taken this long. The scope of evidence and testimony should have been limited. To allow the focus of so much of the mitigation testimony to be on the victim presented a false picture of what the proceeding was about and what mitigation is. But how would the jury know? If 90% of the testimony is about the victim why should they be thinking about heinous the crime was and how the defendant lacked mitigation.

Defense experts should not have been attempting to "diagnose" the victim which is the reality of what they were doing despite their claims otherwise and despite the fact that I doubt the standards of their profession would have allowed such a diagnosis on a deceased person via selected e-mails sent by a victim to the person who murdered him. I know for sure victims rights were not advanced by this process. And the guarantees of due process for the defendant are not a license to "convict" a murder victim on charges never leveled against him. All along Nurmi's strategy was to wear down the jury, to drag this out so that any serious urgency was negated and to confuse the jury with regard to who was on trial for what. And this judge let him win time and time again. He is simply getting the mistrial and thus life sentence he has bargained for all along one way or another. And I do totally blame this judge.

I am not one who thinks JSS is taken in by Jodi or has any sympathy for her at all. She acknowledged as much when she permitted the absurd secret testimony but noted that Jodi was being manipulative. Yet she allowed herself to be manipulated. Over and over. I think she lacks confidence in her decisions. My experience with tough NY judges was that they never lived in fear of appeal. They made what they felt were the correct decisions and let appeals lie in the future. They had no qualms about time limits and holding both sides to schedules. Once the DT sensed JSS's uncertainly they took full advantage. She has aided and abetted their strategy.

Personally, I don't care what sentence Jodi gets. Either way her goose is cooked. All I cared about was the 1st degree conviction. But I felt the victim's family deserved to get the DP they wanted. This whole process has been absurd-this murder occurred in June 2008 people! That family has gone through way too much. I agree with KCL and others that victims rights needs some work in AZ if this trial is an example.

The ***** will be 50, 60, 70. An ugly 50, 60, 70 (not like you lovely ladies) with no botox, no nothing. What does she have "5-10" years in prison before a new thang comes in and steals her shine?

If it's not the needle, I'll somehow make my peace with it. She's going to die in prison anyways.

Absolutely. My heart breaks for the Alexanders. If they were okay with life then I'd have an easier time accepting it. LWOP is not going to be all butterflies and rainbows. More like mystery meat mush for food, criminals for friends and a little cage for a 'home'.

They will consider her a hero for slashing TA in a million pieces. The poor abused JA that TOOK care of her abuser. If she killed a child that would be a different story. jmo.

You're right .. and she'll probably be able to juggle multiple love affairs at once, playing each one off against the other. I have no doubt that's how she'll spend her life in prison.

Excuse my language, but she won ****. If they hang, she just lost a different way then she would have lost otherwise. LWOP or DP, rock and a hard place. After the guilty verdict the only thing left for her to do was decide HOW she was going to lose, the conditions of her loss if you must: do we lock you up for life or do we kill you? There's no winning there.

I digress, right here we show just how a jury will divide.

I am not talikng BTW about her being found guilty during her first trial. I am speaking of the two choices here and now, today.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 1m1 minute ago
I watched each juror as they walked out 2 females and 1 male looked at the Alexanders. First time. #jodiarias

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 27s28 seconds ago
Willmott, MDLR, & #JodiArias' mom enter courtroom.

Jodi can smile all she wants. When she is locked away I might just write to her and send her a pic of me smiling sipping on my Starbucks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to Cancun again this year. I'll take one in a bathing suit, drink in hand, on the white sandy beach, with the glorious sun shining down on me.

That's the way it should be, as it was in the 'old days' judge says you have been found guilty of murder in the first degree and have been sentenced to death. Dons black cap and says further 'you will be taken from this court to the (gallows) where you will be (hung by the neck until you are dead) and may God have mercy on your sole. (Paraphrasing of course but that's the way it used to be and I for one would have liked that to have happened in this case to the evil, murdering, manipulative, lying ***** named Arias!!)

Yes indeed, but instead we will feed her, pay all her utility bills, do her laundry, provide her medical and education. I can't afford to further my education she'll get it from my tax dollars. That's right I'm in AZ born and raised and this all makes me so angry, I don't have the words to express it.

all i can think of if this jury hangs is what a bloody waste of the taxpayers money to end up just where they left off at the original trial. does the jury realize this woman will most likely NEVER be put to actual death and it's more about isolation vs. being a little sociopathic butterfly in prison, manipulating people left and right and having lots of friends and perhaps over the years being the big wig of a gang?

JMO, but I am sick of people talking about taxpayers money being spent to put a killer on death row. She will kill again. What if Travis was your brother?

The ***** will be 50, 60, 70. An ugly 50, 60, 70 (not like you lovely ladies) with no botox, no nothing. What does she have "5-10" years in prison before a new thang comes in and steals her shine?

If it's not the needle, I'll somehow make my peace with it. She's going to die in prison anyways.

years of hard living in jail does not make ones face more beautiful that's for sure! i hope she gets lots of prison tats by choice or not. she needs a little tear tattoo by her eye for her murder trophy

Good for her! It will be her last hurrah before she slips into obscurity in prison, no one adoring her. All the fuss around this killer will fizzle out.

At least this killer isn't going free like that one in Florida. TG for small favors, I guess, given how we have witnessed juries with no qualms about setting killers free.

BBM

EXACTLY. I still remember that day. I felt like the wind was knocked out of me when they read that silly verdict. And that is one of the reasons I am trying to talk myself and others here OFF THE LEDGE. If she does get LWOP, it is not a big win for her. She has a GUILTY verdict for Capital Murder. She will never walk free again. I see that as reason for celebration. JMO

A person can BELIEVE that they believe in the DP, and say so, but may have a problem enforcing it by a vote as a juror, that is, being personally responsible for the upcoming death of an inmate. JMO

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 10s10 seconds ago
Alexander family floods courtroom. #jodiarias
---

Think we're about done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics