Victim: Amber Lynn Costello, 27, missing Sept 2010, found Gilgo Beach Dec 2010 *Rex Heuermann charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And lets her use HIS phone to conduct all her business activity just for friendship's sake.

...And what forum do we find fluke and tunakiller on...noreast:worms:

Some WS's have theorized that the LISK was not a "John".
I strongly disagree.
LISK may not have been a "true" "John" but I have no doubt, whatsoever that he contacted the GB4 victims as a "John"

In Amber Lynn Costello's case, this info indeed back up that IMHO:

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/did-gilgo-victims-let-their-guards-down-1.2950472
The last night she was seen alive, Costello had two lengthy conversations with a man who answered her Craigslist Long Island ad, said her roommate, David Schaller. She agreed to meet him in a car parked around the corner, Schaller said. The client would pay $450 for two hours or $1,500 if she spent the night with him.

But the man set conditions: She was to bring nothing and tell no one where she went.

Schaller told her not to go.

"You can't do this," he said he told her. "At least take a phone so you can call me if something happens."

Costello refused, he said. "That's not what he wants," Schaller remembers her saying. "She said it was big money."

It's unclear why, but "something made her trust him," recalled Schaller, who said his cellphone was used for the conversation and that he overheard parts of it. "It was like she knew him."

I strongly disagree.
LISK may not have been a "true" "John" but I have no doubt, whatsoever that he contacted the GB4 victims as a "John"

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/did-gilgo-victims-let-their-guards-down-1.2950472
The last night she was seen alive, Costello had two lengthy conversations with a man who answered her Craigslist Long Island ad, said her roommate, David Schaller. She agreed to meet him in a car parked around the corner, Schaller said. The client would pay $450 for two hours or $1,500 if she spent the night with him.

But the man set conditions: She was to bring nothing and tell no one where she went.

"You can't do this," he said he told her. "At least take a phone so you can call me if something happens."

Costello refused, he said. "That's not what he wants," Schaller remembers her saying. "She said it was big money."

It's unclear why, but "something made her trust him," recalled Schaller, who said his cellphone was used for the conversation and that he overheard parts of it. "It was like she knew him."
notice he said "a phone" and not "your phone". This, along with the statement that she used his cell phone for the conversations with the John, suggest to me that she did not have a functioning cell phone of her own at that time.

It was like she knew him. Amber was probably the most streetsmart of all the girls, and yet she fell for whatever it was she was telling him. She did exactly what he asked her to do.

I just wish in spite of what he requested of her, she had broken that and told him something, anything that could have given Dave some idea of who it was she had met.

I strongly disagree.

Okay, then for the umpteenth time:

You have a serial killer. He parks four bodies, all killed, wrapped and disposed the same way. No doubt, this was one and the same.
And then you have one case in which you could maybe make a case the victim was killed by a john, one in which it is highly unlikely (MBB) and two don't knows. But to promote the "homicidal john" theory, you need to connect not only all four victims to johns, but also to the same john. So, once more, that's the reason why I don't buy into that kind of single-case speculation.

It was like she knew him. Amber was probably the most streetsmart of all the girls, and yet she fell for whatever it was she was telling him. She did exactly what he asked her to do.

I just wish in spite of what he requested of her, she had broken that and told him something, anything that could have given Dave some idea of who it was she had met.

That wouldn't have helped her is a stalker was already after her. Think about it, which is the vulnerable point ALL FOUR victims had? The time when they come back. It's late, it's dark. Not many people on the streets. The perfect time to strike. Why play john first? Why leave cell phone records? She has to come out of that hole at some point and she has to return there.

I've seen Peter say many times Amber's house was midway from Oak Beach to NYC. In reality, Amber's house was in the same town as Oak Beach!

I've seen Peter say many times Amber's house was midway from Oak Beach to NYC. In reality, Amber's house was in the same town as Oak Beach!

If you look in the "Need local help" thread, you will find a discussion about travel times. The locals basically established, she could have solicited business in both areas. So, yeah, town borders and jurisdiction borders are great for theoretical discussions, but the reality is, she lived between Manhattan and Oak Beach and in distances enabling her to meet johns in both areas. She would need 40 minutes more for Manhattan though. Happy now?

Very true she traveled to the city often if not daily. My point was how close she lived to the dump site. Like 7 miles. Most of the remains were found stretched out over miles. This is VERY close

Very true she traveled to the city often if not daily. My point was how close she lived to the dump site. Like 7 miles. Most of the remains were found stretched out over miles. This is VERY close

Okay, so ignoring the two different signatures, ignoring the fact, that most SKs who build clustered dump sites have them far more than 7 mi away from home, ignoring the fact, that the other victims had also connections to NYC someone, who has never studied any SK cases could come to the wrongful conclusion, that could mean anything. I see that point. But otherwise?

This might be a long shot, but worth thinking about.

According to Dave Schaller, Amber received multiple calls on the day she disappeared. The last call came at 10:30 and she walked out "moments later".

So assume for a second that the serial killer called from his cell phone and said "I'm down the block - come meet me".

Now, assume for a second that the serial killer's previous call was made from his home. If we knew exactly what time the second-to-last call from Amber's phone, we could:

- estimate the SK's travel time taking into account the time it takes to put shoes on, get out to his car, traffic conditions at 10PM that night, local speed limits, highway vs. local miles, etc.
- determine the distance traveled by the SK (the radius)
- plot the circumference on a map, with the center being Amber's house on America Ave. in West Babylon

The serial killer should live somewhere on the perimeter of the circle, assuming our assumption was correct. Probably the closer the time period between the last call and the call just prior, the more accurate this method would be.

Does anyone remember Dave Schaller or Kim Overstreet mentioning anything about the timing of the last 2 calls?

According to Dave Schaller, Amber received multiple calls on the day she disappeared. The last call came at 10:30 and she walked out "moments later".

So assume for a second that the serial killer called from his cell phone and said "I'm down the block - come meet me".

Now, assume for a second that the serial killer's previous call was made from his home. If we knew exactly what time the second-to-last call from Amber's phone, we could:

- estimate the SK's travel time taking into account the time it takes to put shoes on, get out to his car, traffic conditions at 10PM that night, local speed limits, highway vs. local miles, etc.
- plot the circumference on a map, with the center being Amber's house on America Ave. in West Babylon

The serial killer should live somewhere on the perimeter of the circle, assuming our assumption was correct. Probably the closer the time period between the last call and the call just prior, the more accurate this method would be.

Does anyone remember Dave Schaller or Kim Overstreet mentioning anything about the timing of the last 2 calls?

That is very smart Inspector. I'll look back in my notes and I know someone here may have that answer for you.

What would make her more comfortable than a neighbor? I mean, if the SK said "Hey, I see you're from West Babylon, so am I....Yeah, small world, I live like 1 minute from that gas station, I get my coffee there every morning, oh, you too? etc etc etc." Wouldn't that make a third-party listening to the conversation (Dave Schaller) say something like:

"It's unclear why, but "something made her trust him," recalled Schaller, who said his cellphone was used for the conversation and that he overheard parts of it. "It was like she knew him.""

I grew up on Long Island and just today spoke with someone who grew up 2 towns away from me. It was like we were best friends all of a sudden, talking about what high schools we went to and all kinds of other local stuff, all in the space of about 5 minutes. I know Amber didn't grow up there, but I highly doubt that the SK was able to elicit this response from her any other way (like "Hey, I'm a rich famous person and need secrecy, etc.). Amber never would have bought that BS.

Well thought out. I like it. However, what if he wasn't coming from home? What if he was coming from work? Or maybe even from a spot he was scouting out where he would take Amber later that night to kill her? The possibilities are endless. I don't know about the call before the last call Amber received on Schaller's cell, but I remember he said he could hear her "hamming him up" from the other room. Now, we've made endless speculations about what the SK could have possibly said to convince Amber to leave her belongings (cell phone, bag) behind. Well, what if the SK played it smart and gave Amber the impression he was losing interest or that her rates were too high? Whatever. That could certainly explain why Dave Schaller could have heard Amber on the phone really working on the guy. The first call came around 7PM and the last around 10PM. The first to ask about her rates and about keeping her for the night, and the last to let her know he had arrived down the street. That's 3 hours. He could have stopped on his way to get burlap or rope. I'm starting to think, at least in the case of Amber, he played it cool and made her start working to keep him interested in meeting up. When the killer realized her had her where he wanted her, he mentioned the bit about her leaving her phone behind and whatnot. And, let's not forget, Amber was using heroin at this point. When she felt the killer start to pull away she was willing to make exceptions in order to feed the addiction.

Well thought out. I like it. However, what if he wasn't coming from home? What if he was coming from work? Or maybe even from a spot he was scouting out where he would take Amber later that night to kill her? The possibilities are endless. I don't know about the call before the last call Amber received on Schaller's cell, but I remember he said he could hear her "hamming him up" from the other room. Now, we've made endless speculations about what the SK could have possibly said to convince Amber to leave her belongings (cell phone, bag) behind. Well, what if the SK played it smart and gave Amber the impression he was losing interest or that her rates were too high? Whatever. That could certainly explain why Dave Schaller could have heard Amber on the phone really working on the guy. The first call came around 7PM and the last around 10PM. The first to ask about her rates and about keeping her for the night, and the last to let her know he had arrived down the street. That's 3 hours. He could have stopped on his way to get burlap or rope. I'm starting to think, at least in the case of Amber, he played it cool and made her start working to keep him interested in meeting up. When the killer realized her had her where he wanted her, he mentioned the bit about her leaving her phone behind and whatnot. And, let's not forget, Amber was using heroin at this point. When she felt the killer start to pull away she was willing to make exceptions in order to feed the addiction.

Interesting!

Could you please post a link to the source of the time of the SK's calls to ALC?

Check this video out from about 14:00 to 14:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Bd7QJcdWk

What did you think was interesting? I thought it was kinda interesting that he said " her" cell phone when he had already claimed it was his...maybe hes just feeling bad because he didnt want her to take his cell phone..he seems like hes leaving something out though...
What are your thoughts about it?

Below is a list of some of the Big Drug Busts that have occurred between 2007-2012.

The stories give cost comparatives for purchases in LI and in the city (Bronx & Brooklyn.)

In these articles there are names of the suspected kingpins, what they sold, who they sold to and how much dealers paid for the product and then what they charged the drug users. There is also some detail about the strength.

One thing that stood out was that 10 baggies went for $200 in LI. In the city and buying straight from a bigger dealer, the cost could be as low as $100. So, if ALC could pull in $7,000 a week, keeping $4000...then, even at $200 a day she would still have had about $2500/week left over...even more if she were buying from a higher up source and paying $100 for ten sleeves.

Another thing to note is the timing on these big drug busts...

Heroin Busts in Sufflolk & Nassau Counties (Brooklyn Connection)

2008 Nassau County 12 Arrested Brooklyn connection JULY 10th, 2008
http://www.policeone.com/drug-inter...1463-N-Y-police-bust-heroin-ring-12-arrested/

2009 March, 15, 2009

2009 July 25, 2009 http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/08/05/suffolk-announces-its-largest-heroin-bust/
Heroin Task Force on July 25 in the parking lot of the Extended Stay America hotel in Melville...Two illegal immigrants living in New Jersey were arrested in the bust.
Abraham Lopez-Perez, 23, of Elizabeth and Odir Mora, 30, of Fords, New Jersey pleaded not guilty to a charge of first degree criminal possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell. They are being held on $300,000 cash bail and will be back in Suffolk County court on Thursday.
The previous heroin weight record in Suffolk was 6.6 pounds, or three kilos, seized by the task force in March of this year from Gilberto “Macho” Rivera of Oakdale and 12 members of his crew, Spota said. Before that, there was a 1.1-pounds heroin seizure in 1995.

2009 Suffolk County (Babylon & West Islip) December 16, 2009
The New York City Police Department assisted in the raid, which uncovered 35 bags of heroin that Carlos Muniz threw out the window of his apartment, Spota said. Police radios, scanner equipment and a bulletproof vest were also confiscated, he added. At the time of his arrest, Juan Muniz, a prior felony offender, had a narcotics warrant for his arrest.
The other New York City alleged heroin ring was also based in Brooklyn, authorities said.
Carlos Sanchez, 33, of Brooklyn, who shared some customers with the Muniz brothers, often sold the heroin to Long Island customers at a gas station parking lot, authorities said. He allegedly had 177 bags of heroin on him while waiting for a customer at the time of his arrest.Sanchez pleaded not guilty last month to similar charges and is out on $20,000 cash bail.

The Suffolk-based dealers were just as busy, investigators said.
Michelle Atkinson, 32, of West Babylon, sold about $72,000 worth of heroin that she bought in Brooklyn over a period of six months and sold the drugs in Suffolk for more than double the price, prosecutors said.
“She averaged the purchase of 5 sleeves of heroin, or about 500 bags, per week from both Brooklyn suppliers,” said Spota of Atkinson, who operates a towing business in the Ronkonkoma area. Atkinson’s roommate, Denise Ward, 40, was also charged with conspiracy.
A Nesconset man, 27-year-old Lee Colfin, was arrested last month at a gas station in Smithtown.
Colfin “was observed selling heroin at a gas station and at fast food outlets in Smithtown to customers as young as 17,” Spota said. Investigators said they found 77 bags of heroin, packaging materials and hypodermic needles stored in a safe in his Leary Lane home. He also pleaded not guilty and remains in jail.
Glenn Second, 47, of West Islip was busted for 70 bags of heroin, 20 of them in his shoes, and another 50 bags in his home, investigators said.
“We remain vigilant and steadfast in our resolve to eradicate the heroin scourge plaguing our community,” said John Gilbride, the Special Agent-In-Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s New York Field Division. “Today’s arrests are a small step in solving a bigger problem.”
Tags: Brooklyn, Carlos Muniz, Carlos Sanchez, Denise Ward, Glenn Second, Heroin, Juan Muniz, Lee Colfin, Michelle Atkinson, Nesconset, New York City Police Department, Ronkonkoma, Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota

2011 January 25, 2011
Twenty three alleged heroin dealers have been rounded up, including three suspected drug kingpins who are accused of selling more than 1 million doses of dope at a street value of up to $11 million within the past year.

Suffolk County authorities said Frank Conte, a 29-year-old Bronx man out on bail for allegedly murdering a bartender, supplied raw heroin to three men who diluted and packaged the drugs in Queens and the Bronx before reselling 15,000 bags per week to 19 “runners” that supplied Suffolk users. The arrests over the past six weeks followed a 16-month wiretap investigation in which the accused dealers allegedly re-established the ring just two days after police raided one of their stash houses.

Ricardo Rifino, 27 (also arrested in 2009 case and was awaitng trial when he is arrested again in 2011) was charged with operating as a major drug trafficker and conspiracy along with alleged co-conspirators 32-year-old Carlos Melendez of the Bronx and 27-year-old Joel Guzman of Queens. The trafficking charge is punishable by up to 25-years-to-life in prison.

All three have pleaded not guilty at Suffolk County court. Guzman was denied bail, bail for Melenz was set at $1 million cash or $2 million bond and bail for Rifino was set at $500,000 cash or $ 1 million bond.

Suffolk County police initially raided Rifino’s Sayville home in 2009, seizing 2,500 bags of heroin and $80,000 in cash, Spota said. He had moved to Bethpage, pleaded guilty in that case and was awaiting sentencing when he was arrested again on the latest charges.

Five-thousand bags of heroin, 200 grams of raw heroin and two handgun were seized when cops raided the Queens stash house. Authorities said some of the brand names of the heroin allegedly being dealt include “Sweet Death,” “Starbucks,” “MySpace,” “Johnson & Johnson,” “Gotta Have It” and “Kneebender.”

Mark-up on a sleeve—100 decks, or individual $10 glassine envelopes of heroin—jumped from $500 in New York City to $1,000 when it reached LI buyers. Bundles, or 10 decks, jumped from $100 to up to $150, with prices increasing because of such drug busts, authorities said.

2012 March 13, 2012
Suffolk County 26 yo "Jose Perez" (Brooklyn, west & Central Islip Connections Again)
http://www.longislandpress.com/2012/07/11/central-islip-womans-death-ruled-a-homicide/)

http://westislip.patch.com/articles/locals-nabbed-in-heroin-sting-operation
According to the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, those indicted included Tina Catrini (alias Tina Bonghi), 29, of Farmingville; Matthew Catrini, 24, of Farmingville; Josephine (Josephina) Javis, 50, of West Islip; Ronald (Pops) Stern, 68, of Blue Point; and Corey Stern, 37, of Blue Point.

The five local residents were among 20 members of the Perez Organization who were indicted, law enforcement officials said, noting the organization is an alleged drug trafficking ring with conspiracy to distribute heroin. The defendants were arrested on Tuesday and were arraigned before United States Magistrate Judge Gary R. Brown at the United States Courthouse in Central Islip.

“As alleged in the indictment, the Perez Organization was responsible for a significant portion of the heroin distributed on Long Island,” said Janice K. Fedarcyk, FBI Assistant Director in Charge. “Heroin use among suburban teens is alarmingly popular, and today’s heroin is more potent and less expensive than ever. A potentially lethal dose can be purchased for about the cost of a pack of cigarettes or a six-pack of beer."

The agents also executed search warrants at four heroin storage locations in Queens, Brooklyn, and Roosevelt, New York, resulting in the seizure of, among other things, heroin with a street value of more than $30,000 and thousands of dollars in cash, law enforcement officials said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...oin_bust_J49DikUUBaZ8p0JgNgqlUM#ixzz21NJaakSP

Agents took 20 people into custody -- a group that allegedly had drugs estimated to have a street value of at least $2.75 million.

Among those being charged are a retired Suffolk County police officer and his daughter, authorities said.

The spouse of an NYPD officer was also rounded up in the bust.

Authorities say the ringleader is Jose Perez, 26, who oversaw a heroin distribution scheme that focused on suburban customers living on Long Island.

The FBI, aided by Nassau County police and other law enforcement agencies, were making arrests in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, as well as in Brooklyn and Queens in New York City, officials said.

Those arrested will be arraigned later today before judges in Central Islip federal court.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...oin_bust_J49DikUUBaZ8p0JgNgqlUM#ixzz21NJaakSP

Just more info to chew on...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbarch