Victim: Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, missing July 2007, found Gilgo Beach Dec 2010 *POI Rex Heuermann*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks redbird, i have read that as well.

But, I guess the question is would there have been a way for the SK to know that MB,MW,MBB and possibly SG were not from NY. I guess AC would be iffy except for the fact that she is tied to coming from NC? Besides getting to know them...

I learned the answer to this question several years ago while searching for someone in my family who was lured away from home by her "boyfriend" (just like so many of these girls). The answer is that 90 percent of the ones who advertise online with their photos are from out of town.

The easiest clue are the area codes of their cell phone numbers. If you search the Long Island ads on backpage or craigslist you'd struggle to find any phone numbers with the local 516 or 631 area codes. This seems to be true for most major metro areas. Also, those websites have a link to "see previous ads by poster". When the links are clicked, a pattern emerges with many of them doing a rotation between Long Island, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC and sometimes Albany, Chicago and Atlanta (Googling the phone numbers in the ads also reveals these patterns).

Hartford Courant
Sister Of Victim Won't Stop Tracking Case Until
Serial Killer Is Caught
By DENISE BUFFA
The Hartford Courant
9:21 p.m. EDT, March 25, 2012
http://www.courant.com/news/breakin...killer-victim-sister-20120323,0,6856964.story

"Melissa Cann has four kids to tuck into bed at night. But by day, the Norwich resident is busy trying to make certain that her late sister — believed to be the victim of a Long Island serial killer — rests in peace."

and from the article

A few weeks later there came a break in the case. Investigators discovered that Brainard-Barnes' cellphone was apparently turned on, near Fire Island off Long Island, about three weeks after she went missing, Cann said. A Long Island connection had been made.

Also on ctnow.com there is a video of what was air tonight at 10pm about the story written also.

FYI: Meltruth is now a verified family member of Maureen Brainard-Barnes. Thank you for your posting with us, meltruth. :blowkiss:

Hi meltruth! I'm curious if you have a poi? What is your opinion of Dr. Hackett? Flukeyou once claimed Maureen had a client with a prosthetic leg. How he would know this I have no idea. What is your opinion of Joe Brewer? What is your opinion of the NYPD officer who last contacted your sister? Do you think your sister may have met her killer when she worked at foxwoods?

Thanks for all your information!

I don't have a person of interest. Wish I did. I don't what fluke said but to my knowledge I don't think so. Dr. Hackett is a strange character but I don't think he would been able to carry and transport any of the girls. I have saw him and he limps a lot with his condition. But I don't know it is very weird how he put himself in the middle of Shannan disappearance. He can't blame people for wondering why he did such a thing if he had nothing to do with her going missing. Just my opinion. JB should be held responsible either way even if he is not the killer he broke the law as well. I have no opinion on the NYPD officer he has been cleared of anything wrong doing in this case. But it is disturbing to me how the people who are swore to protect the law are the ones who are breaking them. I don't think Maureen meet her killer when she worked at foxwoods. I lived with her at that time. She worked there in 2001.
Hi meltruth! I'm curious if you have a poi? What is your opinion of Dr. Hackett? Flukeyou once claimed Maureen had a client with a prosthetic leg. How he would know this I have no idea. What is your opinion of Joe Brewer? What is your opinion of the NYPD officer who last contacted your sister? Do you think your sister may have met her killer when she worked at foxwoods?

Thanks for all your information!

Thanks for the quick response and thank you for being so helpful! It's important for us to have the families perspective! We are all really appreciative. One topic that has come up alot is that Maureen was robbed shortly before her disappearance. Do you think its possible she called one of her regular clients whom she knew lives/works in the area to make up the money she lost? Do you think her robbery had anything to do with her disappearance?

PS I would not be so quick to dismiss Dr. Hackett because of his condition. He may have been able to use his disability to his advantage when gaining the girls trust. He also may have an accomplice that could help him transport the bodies.

You are so right about the DR. She was robbed earlier way earlier int he day. I don't believe the robbery has anything to do with her going missing and being murdered. The missing person investigated that claim early on in her missing persons case. My opinion is this killer lives on long island and works in NYC. I believe that he knew these girls somehow in someway before he actually toke them and murdered them. This is just what I think nothing support this. I just think it is possible.
Thanks for the quick response and thank you for being so helpful! It's important for us to have the families perspective! We are all really appreciative. One topic that has come up alot is that Maureen was robbed shortly before her disappearance. Do you think its possible she called one of her regular clients whom she knew lives/works in the area to make up the money she lost? Do you think her robbery had anything to do with her disappearance?

PS I would not be so quick to dismiss Dr. Hackett because of his condition. He may have been able to use his disability to his advantage when gaining the girls trust. He also may have an accomplice that could help him transport the bodies.

You are so right about the DR. She was robbed earlier way earlier int he day. I don't believe the robbery has anything to do with her going missing and being murdered. The missing person investigated that claim early on in her missing persons case. My opinion is this killer lives on long island and works in NYC. I believe that he knew these girls somehow in someway before he actually toke them and murdered them. This is just what I think nothing support this. I just think it is possible.

Thnak you mel, your awesome!

MEL, I saw the Courant Clip and thought you did a great job keeping your sister alive in the public's eye. Keep on keeping on and maybe one day you will have many of those questions you have answered.

The interesting thing I read was that Maureen's cell phone was turned on 3 weeks after she disappeared and it was turned on at Fire Island. That one item made me stand up and take notice......could it be one of my theories was true? The moderator deleted that post, however, I believe I mentioned it to you in a PM.

I am not a PH fan at all. IN fact I think he should be on the radar as a killer. But how do we know MP and SG's "boyfriend" did not show up and threaten the DOctor into making those calls? GC is not the type to fold due to a threat; in fact I bet he would love to talk about it. Just thinking out loud. MHO.

Yeah. He seemed to have a lot of info on Melissa as evidenced by his phone calls. But when you look at the fact that a lot of his victims were from out of town and maybe not as street wise as someone who had been working in the city for a while, you have to think that he had to have some way of knowing personal info on them.

I keep thinking about how all of them have a police record and would be in a database which the SK may have had access to if he had some connections to LE. Just haven't figured out how he could have learned their real names.

I keep thinking about how all of them have a police record and would be in a database which the SK may have had access to if he had some connections to LE. Just haven't figured out how he could have learned their real names.

Hi,
BBM. I just wanted to point out, LEOs are not allowed to just look up anyone, partially for this reason. My parents were both NYC probation officers, and my dad's secretary almost got fired years ago for looking for dirt on her daughter's new boyfriend.

and from the article

A few weeks later there came a break in the case. Investigators discovered that Brainard-Barnes' cellphone was apparently turned on, near Fire Island off Long Island, about three weeks after she went missing, Cann said. A Long Island connection had been made.

quoting myself here from the article....

I'm extremely curous - her cellphone was turned on "near Fire Island off Long Island".....what does near Fire Island & off Long Island mean? I mean, is there a cell tower in the Ocean that the signal could have pinged off? and if so, could that mean the killer was in a boat at the time?

quoting myself here from the article....

I'm extremely curous - her cellphone was turned on "near Fire Island off Long Island".....what does near Fire Island & off Long Island mean? I mean, is there a cell tower in the Ocean that the signal could have pinged off? and if so, could that mean the killer was in a boat at the time?

Maybe it is me, or maybe it is a LI thing but I read it differently - Fire Island is off Long Island (not the cell phone) is how I read it. As in "the cell phone pinged a tower close to Fire Island, an island which is off the coast of Long Island."

Maybe it is me, or maybe it is a LI thing but I read it differently - Fire Island is off Long Island (not the cell phone) is how I read it. As in "the cell phone pinged a tower close to Fire Island, an island which is off the coast of Long Island."

I understand but what does near Fire Island mean? If it wasn't *on* Fire Island, Long Island is the closest land isn't it?

I'm really not sure.

I do hope that Meltruth will jump in and tell us the actual cell phone tower, but I do remember it being described as a "water" town on Long Island. And MB's cell phone pinged the Massapequa tower which serves Gilgo. I am of the belief that for whatever reason, the actual location of the cell tower is being held back from the press. Which leads to somewhat strange wording of the description of the location.
Another thing I wanted to mention is that I know quite a few LI people that refer to jones Beach/Gilgo/Ocean Beach as Fire Island even though technically it is not, but lots of folks think the whole barrier island chain is Fire Island, especially folks not that familiar with what is actually Fire Island

Anyone who says that Jones Beach, gilgo are fire island is one of two things. Stupid, or a liar. Fire island starts a democrat point and runs east. Tell those poeple to quot wasting your time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back