VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
11 years is far too long... Any updates in this case?

Welcome to Ws. KFarrell!
11 years is far too long for this young lady to be completely and bizarrely missing.
Hoping that someone cracks and finally gives up the truth about what happened to Brianna.

i THINK that i had read somewhere that there was an idea of what had happened but just not any proof ? did anyone else read that or and i confused (which is very likely)

There are many things about this case that are shady to me. I'd like to know much more about the individuals that Brianna surrounded herself with before the disappearance. Montgomery, Vermont is a rural town consisting of 56 miles of land, therefore a thorough search is unrealistic. Somebody in that small town knows exactly what happened the night of her disappearance, what happened to her, and where she is located. Shotty police work has compromised any promising hard evidence and perhaps any further leads.

I personally believe that Brianna was involved in drugs. The physical altercation a few days prior to her disappearance is the biggest warning sign. From my personal experience I've noticed that drugs and violence run hand in hand. Keallie Laccross was arrested for a home invasion involving drugs in 2012. Keallie Laccross released a statement about Brianna to the press in 2005 "I got into an argument with her and I really regret everything that happened between us. I really wish she was here today," (WCAX.com).

I was reading on another forum about a man who committed suicide, whose suicide note left a detailed explanation of Brianna's disappearance. Allegedly he committed suicide on Brianna's birthday, October 8th.

This case is very eerie to me, and there's something about it that I can't let go of. I intend to be actively engaged in this until all the secrets are revealed.

I was reading on another forum about a man who committed suicide, whose suicide note left a detailed explanation of Brianna's disappearance. Allegedly he committed suicide on Brianna's birthday, October 8th.

Would you mind posting a link to this information? If it's too sensitive (i.e., names names), you can PM me. I'd be very interested in reading it.

Maybe Brianna ran into someone at her H.S. exam, who later showed up at her workplace ?
Wondering if the physical evidence was drugs or dna?
Maybe Brianna was transferred out of the country and into Quebec, did anyone she grew up with move or vacation there?

rbbm.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/2...ight-crack-10-year-old-disappearance-brianna/

"It was 10 years ago when Brianna Maitland spent the day shopping with her mother in their quiet Vermont town, hours after the 17-year-old had completed her high school equivalency test. Less than 24 hours later, the girl was gone"

snip>

" But the detective, who has been working the case since 2006, said physical evidence taken from the car could lead police to a suspect, though he declined to elaborate on the nature of the evidence. Hall also said authorities have "persons of interest" whom they cannot discount.

Several theories have emerged over the years and none can be ruled out, Hall said -- including the possibility Brianna was taken across the border."

Pettibon Junction,

I have located the link regarding the suicide of one of Brianna's accomplices. http://www.wnd.com/2006/03/35310/ last paragraph before "Brianna on videotape" describes the events. Right now this entire case stinks of drugs, I believe the out of town drug users/dealers (Ryans, Soto, Jackson etc.) are all most likely to be involved. The VSP have done an excellent job of letting these suspects walk after polygraph tests, despite the fact that a psychotic killer would be able to easily fool a polygraph test. I just refuse to believe these tests are conclusive. Eleven years down the line and I do not feel the lead investigators have come any closer to solving this case, they have only gone further in the wrong direction attempting to establish/discredit a connection between Maitland's disappearance and other local disappearances.

I remain hopeful that one day we will have answers, one can only imagine the suffering her family and friends experience.

Somebody within the 56 miles of Montgomery has all the answers we are looking for...

Thank you, KFarrell, and I agree that the answer to what happened to Brianna will most likely be found in that NY circle of Scarface wannabes. This case is 100% solvable and the best way to do that would be to keep the pressure on Ryans, bust someone close to him (New York still has those brutal Rockefeller drug laws on the books), and then flip that individual for info regarding some of the bigger crimes Ryans and his crew have committed (i.e., Brianna). These guys think they're gangsters? Call their bluff.

All this is my opinion but it seems to me that for all his posturing and attempts to make a name for themselves in Vermont, the Ryans crew was/is small potatoes and got in way over their heads when they abducted and (presumably) murdered Brianna Maitland. There has got to be at least one person who knows what happened but didn't want it to. The threat of jailtime and an appeal to conscience could crack this case wide open. All that's needed is to find out who that person is most likely to be.

I read that also on the Facebook page for Maura Murray. They said that everyone knows Ramon Ryans was responsible. I saw Brianna's episode once again today. I checked Brianna's Facebook page and it's pretty quiet. One of the administrators left and there is very little dialogue on the page. I friend requested the current admin to ask about any recent developments if there are any.He has yet to respond. I noticed there is a girl who was interviewed for the 10 year anniversary of Brianna's disappearance who was friends with Brianna is also friends with the girl Keallie Lacross who is the girl who broke Brianna's nose 3 weeks before she disappeared. I guess it is believed at least by her that she is not responsible for Brianna's disappearance. On the episode of Disappeared, Brianna's friend had said Keallie was not worried about any charges because Brianna is no longer around. I also read on a blog that in addition to Keallie Lacross being arrested for a home invasion, she was also arrested for a DWI with a young child in the car.

That's what's so frustrating. If we could find out what these people did with Brianna, this case would be solved in a hurry. I have no doubt in my mind about that. If Lacross knows something (which it seems she likely does), being a mother, she'd have the most to lose and would sing like a canary.

The truth is right here, under all of our noses, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. That's the kind of case that gets to me the worst.

Thanks. Nice to be here. Brianna's case brought me here. I saw it on Disappeared back in 2011 and I think about it regularly. I have more questions than answers.

Why did the first person that saw Brianna's car say they saw her headlights on and the second person see a left turn signal flashing? I do not understand this. Did the first witness forget or was someone in the car after the first witness spotted it?

And why in the world would the charges against Ramon Ryans be lowered if his information did nothing to help? I would have thought the lowering of his charges be contingent on a discovery of something leading to Brianna. What was the purpose of that? And to hear he had a smug face in court. Makes my blood boil.

And lets not forget about the girl that broke Brianna's nose for whatever the reason. Her charges dropped as well. In her episode on Disappeared, her friend Shauna asked the girl what was going to happen to her and her reply is nothing is going to happen because Brianna is not around. Really? I heard she moved on to home invasions...nice. I have never seen or heard about such brazen behavior and there be no consequences.

And I'm sorry. To people that defend the first officer at the scene. Really? I know it's different in rural areas and I'm from NYC..but to see a car backed into an abandon house with someone's paychecks sitting in the front seat? I understand you could suspect a possible drunk driver. But where is the driver? How did they manage to get home on a cold night in the pitch dark? And if they got home do they remember where their car is? Yes the officer went to the Black Lantern and it was closed. Couldn't he still find a way to get in touch with the owner and find out Brianna's contact information. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work in a small town? Everyone looking out for each other. If the restaurant was on fire they would have found a way to reach the owner or a manager. Aren't the police supposed to look at things different than the public? With a different set of eyes.

And as far as Brianna experimenting with drugs and hanging with some unsavory people...ok. She did not deserve to disappear for going thru a phase in her life. I pray for some closure for her family. Her mother broke my heart telling the story of how they were going to pass by the restaurant to visit her and decided against it. Her pain was palpable.

I've been following this case for a long time, and I agree with so much of what you said.

I'm amazed that someone had drug charges reduced due to sharing info with the police, when obviously IF he had any info, it wasn't helpful. I guess if I ever get arrested, I'll offer up information about where the remains of Jimmy Hoffa are so I can get a reduced charge as well. I would think that LE would want to slow the spread of drugs in their area, so giving drug dealers reduced sentences just seems counterproductive to me regardless.

The last few days I've been thinking of this case through the prism of all the "mean girls" cases we've seen lately. Cases where two friends don't like the third friend anymore so they kill them etc. This is what I've been wondering as I look at the girls she was around: Brianna changed schools to hopefully have more friends, only to have a lot of her friends apparently turn on her. That tells me she was being noticed by the guys. So she's bullied, and the anger of this group of girls is rising, and it boils over at the party where she gets punched in the face after she had exited the party and was actually asleep on the truck. That tells me they were all in there keeping each other keyed up and formed a mob mentality about it. If this is what happened, and if Brianna had slunk home with her tail between her legs, the whole episode may have been over. But Brianna decided to file charges. This could keep this group of girls in that ridiculous frenzied state where maybe they were "messing with her" wherever they saw her, including while walking around and through windows at the mall. So maybe she was sick of it and there was gonna be a fight, or maybe she was sick of it so she wanted to meet and talk to a couple of them to make it stop. And maybe through deciding to engage with them for whatever reason, she was set up. I don't know, I'm just trying to put the events into the mean girl schema.

Another thought I've had about this case relates to the paychecks on the seat. What if Brianna DID owe someone money? I don't really care about the reason except that I think if it was owed for drugs, this would make more sense because of the type of people she would have been dealing with.
So, say she does owe money, and she was being hassled for it? What would she have told the dealer? "My payday is on March 19, and I can give you the money then."
So maybe the person she owes sees her at the mall and reminds her, and this is why she's suddenly upset or agitated and needs to get ready for work so quickly, so she can get to work, get her checks, get them cashed, or whatever. Maybe she's running behind, so maybe she thinks she could show the dealer the checks to prove that she can get the money quickly, or thinks she can just give the checks to the dealer. We all know dealers don't take checks, so this could have led to a conflict, especially if the dealer was riding her hard to get the debt settled THAT DAY.
When I think about something like this happening, I am not judging Brianna. I couldn't care less what she owed money for, if she even did, but her naivete could have gotten her in trouble thinking she could "show" that she's "good for it."

I just saw the Disappeared episode on this and it was incredibly heartbreaking to me to see a child living on her own and trying to take care of herself when she should have been living at home with her parents and going to school.

I seemed fairly obvious to me that Brianna was murdered by someone she knew and that it is known who did but that the cops simply have no evidence. I could not believe that at two people thought that the scene was creepy enough to take their own "crime scene" photos but that the cops just thought it was a DUI. Seriously?

Well, I have been doing my own bit of unscientific research on all these missing person's cases and I would conclude with a fair amount of certainty that Brianna's body is very close to where her car was found. As part of my research I have also not seen a single case where a girl was kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery. It comes up on WS a lot but I can find no evidence of it being a valid theory for any one of the missing women cases we have here. Not one.

I just saw the Disappeared episode on this and it was incredibly heartbreaking to me to see a child living on her own and trying to take care of herself when she should have been living at home with her parents and going to school.

I seemed fairly obvious to me that Brianna was murdered by someone she knew and that it is known who did but that the cops simply have no evidence. I could not believe that at two people thought that the scene was creepy enough to take their own "crime scene" photos but that the cops just thought it was a DUI. Seriously?

Well, I have been doing my own bit of unscientific research on all these missing person's cases and I would conclude with a fair amount of certainty that Brianna's body is very close to where her car was found. As part of my research I have also not seen a single case where a girl was kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery. It comes up on WS a lot but I can find no evidence of it being a valid theory for any one of the missing women cases we have here. Not one.

I agree completely. It seems like with all these missing people, the first assumption is "they walked away, and there's no crime in deciding to go missing," or "she owed someone money so they're pimping her out." It's almost like people create their own red herring, and that leads to time and opportunity being lost trying to find a missing person.

Yeah, her body is within just a few miles of that old house. If LE really wants to find her, then they will drive away from that house, take the first rural road, drive until there is a little spot to pull out, and conduct a ground search from there. I have never seen a case which was resolved where the female was taken to Canada, or where she was sold into white slavery. Those are just myths and not reasonable theories. I am not saying it is impossible, just highly improbable. What I have seen on countless occasions, is the body being found quite close to where the woman was last seen or where her car was found.

I agree completely. It seems like with all these missing people, the first assumption is "they walked away, and there's no crime in deciding to go missing," or "she owed someone money so they're pimping her out." It's almost like people create their own red herring, and that leads to time and opportunity being lost trying to find a missing person.

I don't have anything to add to this except a big "amen."

Great run of posts. They really ring of truth to me.

I think that LE is getting better at this, but it seems that starting with the assumption that "an adult is free to just walk away from their life" is really quite stupid. I mean, surely ever case is unique, right? So then why would you start with that assumption? It makes no sense to me. For example, a 40 year old man going through a divorce and who is having trouble at work and who has plenty of financial resources is likely just off on his own for a bit. But a teenage girl with limited resources who was last known to have been alone or with some shady characters is more likely than not in danger (even if she is technically an adult).

I will never understand why LE handled this case the way it did. Above everything, Brianna was technically a child when she went missing. This case is about a missing child, and yet it is not treated as such. Just because her parents played make-believe and pretended like she was an adult who was capable of being all on her own and of making her own major life decisions, does not mean that was the reality. The reality here is a lost and troubled child who was in situations she was not mature enough to handle or judge properly. Why is this not a major missing child case? Is it because she was not living at home? That makes little sense because she had no business not living at home, and she was not capable of making a decision like that to begin with.

This case is about a missing child, and yet it is not treated as such. Just because her parents played make-believe and pretended like she was an adult who was capable of being all on her own and of making her own major life decisions, does not mean that was the reality.

While I appreciate your passion and agree in spirit with pretty much everything you said (particularly about police not classifying this disappearance as "missing endangered" from the outset), I would refrain from saying anything that could be seen as badmouthing Brianna's parents. Family members of victims often participate in these forums and such talk can be alienating, if not hurtful, to folks who have already suffered plenty.

Okay very well. Fair enough. My point is that very often in these cases where a minor child goes missing and that child was treated by the people who were supposed to be looking out for her as an adult, then the police do too. I don't think that they should. It was a fiction that Brianna was an adult. It was just pretend. Okay so that's what happened but le should be more professional in these cases and not just go along with that fiction. Imo it is these children - the ones who are living like grown ups - who are at the most risk and need the most protection and they wind up getting the least protection. Mature and responsible teenagers live at home and go to school yet everyone around this case acted like the opposite is true. Children who are on their own like this simply require more attention from the police for the simple reason that their parents are no longer looking out for them on a daily basis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil
Back