VT - Michelle Gardner-Quinn, 21, Burlington, 7 Oct 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
so......... was it really worth it, dude?? really......???

Eamon said:
Brian doesn't look happy. Pity.

He is CREEEEEEPY-looking. I wish Michelle had asked a female to borrow a phone. Not saying it's her fault at ALL, but I just wish she'd never come into contact with this horror. :( :banghead: :(

maima said:
Poor Michelle, and her certainly devastated parents, family, and friends! God, how awful. :( :( :(

I just want to say to everyone in this country, particularly young women and men -- as much as is possible, do NOT go anywhere late at night ALONE. Be sure someone you trust is with you. Please, we need to look out for each other. No matter how safe you think your community is, you need to be cautious and think of your own safety. Take a cell phone with you, take a friend with you wherever you are going. Just, try not to go anywhere at night alone. You just never know. You can't trust that the stranger you've just encountered is "okay".
You are so right in everything you have said. Young people just don't realize how vulnerable they are. If this young woman's cell phone hadn't died and she didn't "borrow" this alleged man's, would we know who might have harmed her? No. To all young people, keep your cell phones charged, keep your friends close and let your parents know where you are at all times. Believe me, only your parents will come looking.

Hmmm. They're saying the other offense was 1998.

Person by name of suspect was a father in 98, then married mother in 99 and then divorced in 2001. I wonder if this has anything to do with past offense?

Relatively "old" guy hanging out at college town bar scene. Wearing hooded sweat shirt to make himself look younger to the coeds. Creepy. I remember many moons ago when I was in my early 20's, a thirty year old guy was a geezer. He looks like he was trying to fit in. creepy. I'm so sad tonight. My daughter is only in elementary school and I'm planing on home schooling for college, I'm getting so paranoid. God bless sweet Michelle and God bless her devastated family and friends.

Beyond Belief said:
Hmmm. They're saying the other offense was 1998.

Person by name of suspect was a father in 98, then married mother in 99 and then divorced in 2001. I wonder if this has anything to do with past offense?
dang....1998? And they're just now getting around to arresting the ?

yeah,, but remember there are older college students too (in their 30's & sometimes beyond), and plenty of older non-students who go to the same bars as the co-eds. in a situation like this,, there is no way you can discern what someone is up to, if he blends in pretty well as this guy did. for all we know, michelle may have had a conversation with him before and felt that she "knew" him.
all we can do is try to convince young people to be more & more paranoid, as it can save your life. i guess we just have to assume that every guy we see is a potential murderer. it needs to be drilled into young womens' heads over and over,, do NOT wander off with some strange man or get into his car. DON'T get separated from your friends, especially at night. keep in touch at all times, and let them know where you're going!! don't be secretive about stuff, even if it's some guy you're interested in.
i can't even count how many stories i've heard recently about groups of college students saying "oh,, they just wandered off with someone, we thought everything was fine and we'd just see them tomorrow".... HELLO!! especially if your friend has been drinking,, THEY ARE AT RISK. then again, when everyone's been drinking, then everyone's judgement is clouded.
so........ stay together, keep in touch, and watch your friends-- don't let one of them wander off alone, especially a female, &/or drunk.

maybe it's time for college campuses to have a MANDATORY self-defense and safety awareness meeting for all students, at the beginning of each semester, and post info around the campus about this and also alcohol education. why not??

if she never met him before,, he must have said something to her to make her go off with him so easily. maybe he lied & said he was a student. or, he could have said "hey a girl like you shouldn't be out here walking alone,, let me walk you back." just trying to get inide the guy's mind here, to learn the tactics (not that i'd want to be there!)

i remember a dateline (or some similar investigative show) a few years back about a street study that was done by some folks in a new england town (Vt or NH i believe)... where a woman with a microphone approached college girls saying "hey we're doing a TV ad for so&so ice cream company, can you just come over here & get on camera for a minute? just come over here, OK,, now just step inside this van for a minute, and look at the camera & say,"i like ice cream".. and one by one, even though most were kind of wary & confused, all of them did it anyway (as i remember). the point was how naive and trusting young women are, and how easily they can be abducted.
but then again, you hate to think that everyone out there is a potential psycho. sad, that now that really IS what we have to think.

Body of University of Vermont Student Recovered, Chief Suspect in Slaying Arrested, Police Say

By JOHN CURRAN

BURLINGTON, Vt. Oct 13, 2006 (AP)— The body of a University of Vermont student was found Friday, nearly a week after she vanished, and the main suspect in her slaying was arrested on unrelated charges, the police chief said.

The 21-year-old woman's body was discovered east of downtown near a popular swimming spot in the town of Richmond, Burlington Police Chief Thomas Tremblay said.

Police arrested a man whose mobile telephone was used by Michelle Gardner-Quinn as she walked toward her university dormitory early Oct. 7, Tremblay said. more at link:http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2564705

maima said:
Poor Michelle, and her certainly devastated parents, family, and friends! God, how awful. :( :( :(

I just want to say to everyone in this country, particularly young women and men -- as much as is possible, do NOT go anywhere late at night ALONE. Be sure someone you trust is with you. Please, we need to look out for each other. No matter how safe you think your community is, you need to be cautious and think of your own safety. Take a cell phone with you, take a friend with you wherever you are going. Just, try not to go anywhere at night alone. You just never know. You can't trust that the stranger you've just encountered is "okay".
This is so sad! I so agree that no one should be walking alone at night. Everyone also needs to be cautious even in the daytime. No one is safe alone these days and we need to watch out for eachother.

My thoughts and prayers are with Michelle's family and friends.

packerdog said:
Thanks for the link dark_shadows. Is this the same home they had searched before?
Hi Packerdog,:)
No it is not the same house.Rooney was appearently working at that site in Burlington earlier in the week.The cement was poured on monday.
The home that was searched early this week was the home in Richmond.The both are in Chittenden County.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I just got home from work and Rooney was not brought to us until late in the evening friday night.
He is in a cell alone in the Close Custody unit.Normally this is a cell that holds 2 men.He will be with us for the weekend and will remain in that cell until the Sherriffs transport him to court monday morning.After court,he will most likely be held in the St.Johnsbury facility until an autopsy is done on Michelle and evidence is provided that Rooney caused Michelle's death.If he is arrested in that facility for her murder,he will be brought here to answer the charges.If convicted he will end up in the probably end up in the Northwest facility.A short distance from Burlington.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hi Usher,
The problem is they found out about this sexual abuse of a child while they were doing the investigation on Michelle. He had never been caught before or charged with a sexual crime. I guarantee you he never will again, either!

Scandi

dark_shadows said:
I just got home from work and Rooney was not brought to us until late in the evening friday night.
He is in a cell alone in the Close Custody unit.Normally this is a cell that holds 2 men.He will be with us for the weekend and will remain in that cell until the Sherriffs transport him to court monday morning.After court,he will most likely be held in the St.Johnsbury facility until an autopsy is done on Michelle and evidence is provided that Rooney caused Michelle's death.If he is arrested in that facility for her murder,he will be brought here to answer the charges.If convicted he will end up in the probably end up in the Northwest facility.A short distance from Burlington.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

hello friend!! i was thinking about you and wondering if you would cross paths with his man in your professional capacity. what a senseless act! my prayers go out to those hurting in her family and community.

Just wanted to join you all in expressing sadness as well as exasperation that a life could be taken so senselessly. Michelle seemed to have been a young woman who could have made a contribution for the good of society.

I just read here lots of good advice you guys have given to hopefully keep people safer from these killers. Hope the college-aged group reads this forum. Meeting so many people when you're that age seems to require making zillions of quick assessments of other people's characters and motives.

dark_shadows said:

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Thanks for the info dark_shadows.

izzyB said:
hello friend!! i was thinking about you and wondering if you would cross paths with his man in your professional capacity. what a senseless act! my prayers go out to those hurting in her family and community.
{{{Izzy}}} :blowkiss: .Many hugs to you my friend.

Yes,since we are the Regional for the county,they come to us....
You are right,it is a sad senseless act indeed.
Much Respect to you,
dark_shadows

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061014/NEWS01/610140308/1009/NEWS05

snip

Brian L. Rooney, the suspect in the slaying of University of Vermont student Michelle Gardner-Quinn, was described by his older brother Friday as a "devoted parent" who shares custody of his three daughters with an ex-wife.

"You'll never find a better parent," his older brother, Rikki Rooney, said in a telephone interview from his Iowa home. "He lives for his kids."

Rikki Rooney, 38, was the eldest of six children in a family who he said moved from place to place, mostly in the Northeast Kingdom, after the father of the three oldest children abandoned the family. His mother later remarried, he said.

He said Brian Rooney was the third oldest child in the family and was born in the Burlington area.

"She did the best she could," Rikki Rooney said of his mother. "Our father deserted us. He never wanted anything to do with any of us." Brian Rooney, now 36, was his father's favorite child, Rikki Rooney said.

Rikki Rooney said he found it "kind of funny" that his brother was arrested Friday on charges of sexual assault and lewd and lascivious conduct with a child stemming from incidents that allegedly occurred years ago in Caledonia and Essex counties. Brian Rooney will be arraigned on the two charges Monday in Vermont District Court in St. Johnsbury.

Rikki Rooney claimed the incidents that are the subject of those criminal charges involve allegations that were investigated years ago and found to have no merit. He said the alleged victim in the sexual assault case later admitted she had lied about the assault.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back