WA - Cascade Mall, 5 fatalities, Burlington, 23 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It was said earlier (paraphrased) that he entered the mall and didn't have a gun, but he then left the mall and came back a short while later with a gun.

Thank you. I missed that Billy. Did they say how long it was before he returned with the gun. If he is walking he must live close by the area.

Which seems to indicate someone in the ones who were murdered made him mad about something if he went there specifically to see a particular person.

I sure hope the motive for this mass shooting isn't all to do with him not getting his way about something. Those are the most senseless motives in these kind of shootings.

some more going off the same image as above focusing for the eye: http://komonews.com/news/local/gallery/who-is-the-cascade-mall-shooter

W xvxxi.pnga bvx.jpg

attachment.php

hmm does ear looked pierced?

I find the way they all dressed for this indcates the "feel" of the area!

What was yours ?

My bieggest takeaway was him coming in/out back in with gun/kill leave.

I think he was trying to locate his targets.

It also seems to me that he was , for lack of a better word, "thinking" clearly - he knew it would probably be smarter to locate who he wanted to murder, and then go get his gun.

Wordage does seem to reasonably indicate targeted, and probably relatives.

Mass shooters dont typically pass by dozens of targets and selectivly pass them by imo

Just seems like he is was gonna go kill family members, located them , killed them and left

I also think they know everyones name including shooter, and that this was family matter - he said to easily that the community is not in danger. I would not be surprised if they already know what the dispute within the family/relatives was etc speculation only

what did you all get?

There was a mall shooting where I lived about a decade ago. It was a teenager. He walked into the mall and I think he ever went up to a different level. Then into a department store a little ways before he started shooting. He didn't have an intended target but for whatever reason he passed by people on his way in/up before deciding to open fire.

I would be interested to hear how long he was in the mall before the shooting. Did he go to other stores? Walk around? Talk with anyone? Etc.

I agree with you, Katy. Something just isn't right with them not being able to identify this kid (imo) by now. Many hours have passed by now. Isn't this town rather small in size? Someone that knows him would have recognized him by now, I think. Even, if he has done as other shooters have done before and killed his own parents/siblings before going to the Mall to carry this out he has to have friends, or even those who know him by sight. Even if not in school anymore if he is from there someone would remember him from school or even neighbors.

So it does make me wonder too if he is not from that town. It seems like to me the most important thing for LE to do now would come out and identify him by name which would peek interest in those who already know him. They may be able to help LE locate him and where he may have gone.

But it seems LE has no clue who this guy is or where he could be since they are still telling everyone to be alert and cautious.

If they knew who he is I think the media would have already picked up on LE going to his home with a SW.

Since he left his firearm there I don't think he has any plans of hurting himself. He was smart enough to know not to leave the Mall with the gun still in his hand. This is how he got away. He blended in with everyone else who was coming in and out. I still think he is too young to legally be able to purchase a weapon but we will see.

Puzzling.

yes, Burlington is a small city. If he is from a neighboring city or Seattle it may take a lot longer.

<rsbm>

According to an earlier report, he apparently left and returned 10 minutes later:

https://twitter.com/KnicelyKIRO7/status/779699976129617920

ETA: Hmm .. actually the link I provided doesn't say he left the mall. I'll try to find another.
I'd forgotten about that also. If he left the mall and returned with the gun, there is a Holiday Sports across the highway from the mall. But, it would be hard to walk along and cross the highway with a hunting rifle and not be noticed by passing vehicles. Even if he did hide the gun in the bushes outside of the mall, at some point he would've been seen with it unless he delivered it there in a car.

ETA: Google maps shows that Holiday Sports, if that's where he purchased the rifle, is over a mile away, but it looks like it's taking a round-about route even by foot.

I think LE knows who he is. There will be good reasons, I bet, when they announce the situation and what was going on.

I know some have said he looks around 13 years old. But I would guess 18-22.

I can't believe they haven't found him yet. I mean, at the very least...they must know who he is by now, right?!

A few parts of this do not make sense. Identifying the female victims should be easy as women normally carry purses and have identification on them. Even a teen, if driving age, will have her driver's license with her. Any male of driving age will carry his license with him also.

So what was the real reason for the coroner not coming out to the mall to pronounce these four people dead? Victims aren't usually left on the scene while an investigation is taking place. Those orange cones, markers, or flags are used to indicate where bodies were and the position they were in.

This killer does not look Hispanic. Is this being said to keep tempers down until a definite nationality can be verified?

In a screen grab, his shoes look like dress leather shoes. What do you see?
image.jpeg

Could he have carried the rifle under his shirt, stuck into his shorts to get it into the store?

I know some have said he looks around 13 years old. But I would guess 18-22.

I can't believe they haven't found him yet. I mean, at the very least...they must know who he is by now, right?!
I think he looks no younger than 15 -- just has a slight build. I'm guessing he's at least 17 but wouldn't be surprised if he is in his early 20's.

I'm afraid that OBE may be right -- that he killed his family before going to the mall. If he's still in high school, it was late before his image was released last night so classmates may not have seen it. Today is Saturday, so they may not have seen the news this morning. But, with something this major happening, I would think even teenagers would be interested in the news before proceeding with whatever their plans.

It's possible LE does know his ID by now, but doesn't want the gunman to know because they are following up leads to locate him, hoping that whoever is harboring him (if he has help) will notify them before he has the chance to move on.

A few parts of this do not make sense. Identifying the female victims should be easy as women normally carry purses and have identification on them. Even a teen, if driving age, will have her driver's license with her. Any male of driving age will carry his license with him also.

So what was the real reason for the coroner not coming out to the mall to pronounce these four people dead? Victims aren't usually left on the scene while an investigation is taking place. Those orange cones, markers, or flags are used to indicate where bodies were and the position they were in.

This killer does not look Hispanic. Is this being said to keep tempers down until a definite nationality can be verified?

In one of the store pictures from a video, his shoes look like dress leather shoes. What do you see?

Could he have carried the rifle under his shirt, stuck into his shorts to get it into the store?
I think LE was not certain the gunman had left the mall after the shooting. He had dropped the weapon, then apparently blended in with the crowd. So, he could have gone to another part of the mall and was in hiding. Although he left his weapon behind, LE at that point didn't know if he had an abettor who also may have been armed. At the presser, LE acknowledged they didn't think it was terrorism but, at the same time, weren't dismissing that possibility.

What about fingerprints on the rifle?

As young as he appears, even if he is in his early twenties, he may have no previous record, so his fingerprints are not on file.

What about fingerprints on the rifle?
That will only help if he has an arrest record, or was fingerprinted as a child. But, they need a suspect first to match the fingerprints to. They may have a suspect in sight, yet need to locate him.

In a screen grab, his shoes look like dress leather shoes. What do you see?
View attachment 101949

I think he could've especially when you compare this image to FindHG's image on previous page. Something is causing his shirt to extend well beyond his neck in her image but it's against his neck in yours when the gun is in his hands. What does everyone else think?

I think he could've especially when you compare this image to FindHG's image on previous page. Something is causing his shirt to extend well beyond his neck in her image but it's against his neck in yours when the gun is in his hands. What does everyone else think?

I think he could have too. One shoulder is 'dipped' lower than his right on the pics of him entering the mall. Made me think he could have it under his shirt on his back

In the right-hand pic in FindingHG's post #150, the lower right-hand corner of his shirt (left side in pic) stands out and his lift hand (right in pic) appears to be holding something. Are these images from the first time he entered the mall, or after he left and returned?

I think he could have too. One shoulder is 'dipped' lower than his right on the pics of him entering the mall. Made me think he could have it under his shirt on his back
Yes, that's what I'm seeing as a possibility: the butt end of the rifle under his shirt in the back and he is holding the end of the barrel with his hand on the opposite side.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi
Back