Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Feb. 2 at 11:30 pm, there was an attempted abduction of a woman off the street in the Capital Hill Neighborhood of Seattle. This is in the city and nowhere near MLT but if you watch the video you can see how this could happen. A man pulled his truck to the side of the street, jumped out and tried to wrestle the woman into the truck. Fortunately other people were there and she fought him off.

http://komonews.com/news/local/video-shows-attempted-kidnapping-of-woman-in-capitol-hill

A little late to this! Apparently my sister went to school with this lady's son... I guess that means I did too, we were three years apart at MTHS. It's really creepy. I don't know if I would say MLT is the nicest town in the area, but North Seattle is a high bar. We definitely haven't had a body in a ditch in a very long time (I actually don't remember the last one).

I swear I drive right down this street on Friday... Shudder. I don't believe for one second she wasn't harmed by someone =(

JMO

If it's a 4 or 5 minute drive to the park and ride...
And if she left home at 6:58, she could have arrived "somewhere" at the park and ride at 7:02...
But then the text occurred right then... and then very soon afterward the phone was disabled (?)...
And then several hours later the unusual car she is said to have driven was found by her husband parked in what may be an unusual place.
At the PC, early on, it was said that there was evidence she had been at (did he say at or in or with?) the car...
But would not elaborate at all...

I am trying to envision a scenario that has her victimized in that small window but I am stuck on the beliefs that:
1) she wouldn't have had her car unlocked so someone could jump in
2) she wouldn't have gotten out of her car until the carpool came
3) and no one broke her car window.to get to her.

I will be very surprised if we find out she was the one that left the white car where it was found.

This! First of all, it's been so cold and rainy... She definitely wouldn't get out of the car, especially not at 7am. Second, even the side street where she parked gets crowded at peak commute time since people treat it as overflow parking for the P&R, so surely someone would have noticed an aggressive break in?

I'm wondering if she was lured to meet a trusted person via her phone or in person, so she went willingly and there was no noticeable scene until she was well-isolated?

She texted her carpool friend to let her know that she had forgotten her badge at home. After that, something happened. Yes, it appears that she forgot her badge at home, her routine changed, and she was abducted.

I think it's more likely that something bad happened to her before the text about the badge was sent. I think that whomever killed her knew her routine, knew that her carpool friend would be expecting her, knew the name of that friend and was familiar with the importance of the badge to her work. I think that this person killed her then sent the text to buy time before anyone missed her and reported her missing. JMO

This! First of all, it's been so cold and rainy... She definitely wouldn't get out of the car, especially not at 7am. Second, even the side street where she parked gets crowded at peak commute time since people treat it as overflow parking for the P&R, so surely someone would have noticed an aggressive break in?

I'm wondering if she was lured to meet a trusted person via her phone or in person, so she went willingly and there was no noticeable scene until she was well-isolated?

Maybe... But if it seemed innocent, it seems she would have told carpoolers about the meeting...and within a blink of an eye, it seems, the phone is no longer active.

They haven't said - that I know of - but it seems they would have cell records by this time of all incoming and outgoing and network activity.

I feel like Cheryl could have been me. Or virtually any of my girlfriends...

Regarding the area where she was found, there does seem to be some foot traffic in the area. You can see that at least a few people run in the area, according to this Strava heat map:
cf29e5abab4cb572006551fb3918b1dd.jpg

It doesn't mean much, but I know when I'm out running, I always look down in drainage ditches when I pass by them.

After reading the thread, my insomnia compelled me to contribute something, no matter how insignificant to the thread.

ETA: the green color on the map indicates someone has logged activity using the Strava app using data from their smartphone or gps running watch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If it's a 4 or 5 minute drive to the park and ride...
And if she left home at 6:58, she could have arrived "somewhere" at the park and ride at 7:02...
But then the text occurred right then... and then very soon afterward the phone was disabled (?)...
And then several hours later the unusual car she is said to have driven was found by her husband parked in what may be an unusual place.
At the PC, early on, it was said that there was evidence she had been at (did he say at or in or with?) the car...
But would not elaborate at all...

I am trying to envision a scenario that has her victimized in that small window but I am stuck on the beliefs that:
1) she wouldn't have had her car unlocked so someone could jump in
2) she wouldn't have gotten out of her car until the carpool came
3) and no one broke her car window.to get to her.

I will be very surprised if we find out she was the one that left the white car where it was found.

Commander Pickard said that she had been "in the area of her car" at the parked location.
Where she parked was not an unusual place at all for her to have parked.

re: 1) Do we know if that type of car has auto locks? Not all cars do and she might not have manually locked the doors.
re: 2) Cheryl's carpool consists of meeting several friends and then they take the bus together. So she parked near the transit center and would normally walk over to the center itself.
re: 3) Pictures clearly show that the car windows are not broken. Every opening of the car is sealed with red tape (doors, hood, trunk.)

I personally am ignoring the precise nature of saying that she left home at 7am - there's so much leeway with a generalized statement like that. It could have been quarter of 7. The only time we know something happened exactly is that her carpool friend received that text at 7:02am, which doesn't even mean that the text was sent at 7:02am, only received. It could have been delayed. It could have been scheduled to send at a certain time. There's just too many "could have been..." with the timing to pin it down precisely, and I feel like doing that will restrict some people from thinking of alternative likely scenarios.

JMO

Commander Pickard said that she had been "in the area of her car" at the parked location.
Where she parked was not an unusual place at all for her to have parked.

re: 1) Do we know if that type of car has auto locks? Not all cars do and she might not have manually locked the doors.
re: 2) Cheryl's carpool consists of meeting several friends and then they take the bus together. So she parked near the transit center and would normally walk over to the center itself.
re: 3) Pictures clearly show that the car windows are not broken. Every opening of the car is sealed with red tape (doors, hood, trunk.)

I personally am ignoring the precise nature of saying that she left home at 7am - there's so much leeway with a generalized statement like that. It could have been quarter of 7. The only time we know something happened exactly is that her carpool friend received that text at 7:02am, which doesn't even mean that the text was sent at 7:02am, only received. It could have been delayed. It could have been scheduled to send at a certain time. There's just too many "could have been..." with the timing to pin it down precisely, and I feel like doing that will restrict some people from thinking of alternative likely scenarios.

JMO

Regarding point 2...If they took the bus together it would not be a carpool. I believe there is some speculation as to whether on the day she went missing she told another person in her carpool by text to go on without her and she'd catch the bus. I have seen conflicting reports on what exactly her text said.

Wondering if her job plays into this at all? Did she do any research? Programmer?

Wonder when we'll know cause of death? Manner?

I think the most likely scenario here is going to end up being that Cheryl did in fact leave her badge at home, she did park her car, and she did send a text to her friend. As she was typing out the text or shortly afterwards, she saw someone she knew or they pulled up right next to her there on the street. She may have rolled her window down in order to explain to said person that she had left her badge at home and had to lose her parking spot in order to go get it. Said person said, "Hey, I'm heading over that way, hop in and I'll run you over there and back". Not wanting to lose her parking spot, or simply because she knew and trusted this person, she agreed and exited her vehicle and got into theirs. Maybe a plan was formulated between them where they would ride the bus together after running around to gather her badge and whatever else the driver needed to get done.

After she got into this persons vehicle, the inner demon in him surfaced, the psychotic side emerged, and everything went downhill from there. The lure of having a defenseless woman in his car, a woman that no one knew was in his car, completely overwhelmed his sense of morality. This may have also been a planned action. Somehow he was able to restrain her, be it with a knife, a gun, or a blow to the head. This would have been done a very short time after she got into his vehicle, because her phone was shut off just a few minutes after the text to the friend was sent. This attack may have happened so quickly and so unexpectedly that Cheryl herself never even realized she was in any danger.

I don't believe she was killed during that trip... Nope... I think she was taken somewhere and held for awhile, at least a day or two. Keep in mind here, your're dealing with a psychotic nutcase that nobody realizes is a psychotic nutcase. This is probably going to end up being a fantasy based crime, and really had nothing to do with Cheryl herself, any woman willing to get into his car would do. This was a crime of opportunity and a spur-of-the-moment decision on his part.

So who are we looking for ??

A) A male age 30-40

B) Someone who lives in her community and knows her personally or knows some of her friends or family.

C) Lives alone, introverted and awkward when dealing with women, reclusive, may be viewed by some
people as being a little "weird" or "off".

D) Missed work completely on 2/8, called in sick, or came in extremely late.

F) Has no history of arrests or violent crimes (that people are aware of).

G) Uses the Park and Ride facility often, possibly daily.

H) Has a garage at home that is remote control activated.

This is going to end up being someone she knew, or thought she knew. She may have just known him by association. It's going to prove to be a huge undertaking, but the cops need to try and figure out who showed up late for work that morning or who didn't show up at all. That may or may not be productive, because the person we are discussing here may have had the day off and was actually out trolling for a victim that morning. This may not turn out to be quite as random as it appears on the surface. All this person needed to do was manage to get a woman, any woman, into his car and the plan went into action.

Is there a reason that suicide isn't being tossed about as a theory?

Is there a reason that suicide isn't being tossed about as a theory?
I am only guessing, but perhaps because of where her body was found - in a culvert with a creek rushing through it. Not enough water to drown in easily, but more than you would probably lie down in (especially this time of year). Perhaps the condition of her body suggests otherwise, too.

Poor Cheryl. It is so hard to stop wondering about what happened to such a lovely person.

I think the most likely scenario here is going to end up being that Cheryl did in fact leave her badge at home, she did park her car, and she did send a text to her friend. As she was typing out the text or shortly afterwards, she saw someone she knew or they pulled up right next to her there on the street. She may have rolled her window down in order to explain to said person that she had left her badge at home and had to lose her parking spot in order to go get it. Said person said, "Hey, I'm heading over that way, hop in and I'll run you over there and back". Not wanting to lose her parking spot, or simply because she knew and trusted this person, she agreed and exited her vehicle and got into theirs. Maybe a plan was formulated between them where they would ride the bus together after running around to gather her badge and whatever else the driver needed to get done.

After she got into this persons vehicle, the inner demon in him surfaced, the psychotic side emerged, and everything went downhill from there. The lure of having a defenseless woman in his car, a woman that no one knew was in his car, completely overwhelmed his sense of morality. This may have also been a planned action. Somehow he was able to restrain her, be it with a knife, a gun, or a blow to the head. This would have been done a very short time after she got into his vehicle, because her phone was shut off just a few minutes after the text to the friend was sent. This attack may have happened so quickly and so unexpectedly that Cheryl herself never even realized she was in any danger.

I don't believe she was killed during that trip... Nope... I think she was taken somewhere and held for awhile, at least a day or two. Keep in mind here, your're dealing with a psychotic nutcase that nobody realizes is a psychotic nutcase. This is probably going to end up being a fantasy based crime, and really had nothing to do with Cheryl herself, any woman willing to get into his car would do. This was a crime of opportunity and a spur-of-the-moment decision on his part.

So who are we looking for ??

A) A male age 30-40

B) Someone who lives in her community and knows her personally or knows some of her friends or family.

C) Lives alone, introverted and awkward when dealing with women, reclusive, may be viewed by some
people as being a little "weird" or "off".

D) Missed work completely on 2/8, called in sick, or came in extremely late.

F) Has no history of arrests or violent crimes (that people are aware of).

G) Uses the Park and Ride facility often, possibly daily.

H) Has a garage at home that is remote control activated.

This is going to end up being someone she knew, or thought she knew. She may have just known him by association. It's going to prove to be a huge undertaking, but the cops need to try and figure out who showed up late for work that morning or who didn't show up at all. That may or may not be productive, because the person we are discussing here may have had the day off and was actually out trolling for a victim that morning. This may not turn out to be quite as random as it appears on the surface. All this person needed to do was manage to get a woman, any woman, into his car and the plan went into action.

Well, that's a very ambitious theory! Motive?

This was the easiest way for me to catch up so apologies if this has all been stated already.

Having just watched the press conference, Pickard said the following, all paraphrased:

Cheryl and her friend had car pooled for several years. CD text her friend saying she had forgot her ID badge, you go ahead, I'll catch the bus.

Searchers had been tremendous.

Report any activity, seen or heard, around where the body was found between Feb 8th and 14th.

Official identification and autopsy results not back.

Would not stress the conditions the body was in.

Phone records still being analysed.

Death is suspicious as they do not know what happened.

No concern or threat for others safety at this time.

There was evidence found in the area where the body was located, wouldn't state what but this is being analysed.

Wouldn't discuss if any of CD's personal property was missing but said there were items they were looking for.

Where CD was found is an ongoing crime scene.

Man trackers are there, they look at footprints, movement of an area plus they do lots of other things.

When reminded by a reporter that earlier on it was said there was some evidence near her car that she had been there at the point of her disappearance he said he didn't know of any evidence and he would get back to the person, who asked it, on that.

https://www.facebook.com/TedLandJournalist/videos/1570819333210139/?hc_location=ufi

Link snipped from Eucalyptuz post, thank you.

Wondering if her job plays into this at all? Did she do any research? Programmer?

Wonder when we'll know cause of death? Manner?

The first I heard was that she was a Systems Analyst and her LinkedIn profile mentions skills specific to that. That was the first theory my husband and I thought of, too - as he is a Database Administrator and has seem some very inappropriate patterns in the data. These people know their data like it's one of their kids, so when a new pattern emerges they MUST know why. Also, the organization she works for is absolutely huge with very large amounts of money coming in from many sources for research.

JMO

Cheryl could have ridden the bus home many days, if her workday ended at a different time than her carpool friend's workday did. Also true that she might ride the bus semi-regularly and only carpool sometimes. So I don't think it's that unusual for someone to post that he rode the bus with her.

Seems as if there are 2 scenarios:
1) Something happened before that morning, and all the changes in routine were set up to 'cover' for that.
2) There were changes in routine that morning that opened the door for a random or semi-random abduction. That is, Cheryl died as a result of those changes - they were not fabricated to cover for her earlier death.

I am still in the 2) camp.

And I think we have to be careful about saying "Cheryl would never have done X" or "Cheryl would have made this choice, rather than that one" - AFAIK none of us knew her. And even if we did, that doesn't mean we'd be able to predict her behavior. (Thinking about a lot of the suicide cases on WS in which family members initially said "She would never leave her kids" or "He was not depressed")

I still haven't seen info about where she usually parked. Do we know? Did she park in the main transit center lot? Or did she park on the outskirts and walk, so that she could get home faster at the end of her day?

Cheryl could have ridden the bus home many days, if her workday ended at a different time than her carpool friend's workday did. Also true that she might ride the bus semi-regularly and only carpool sometimes. So I don't think it's that unusual for someone to post that he rode the bus with her.

Seems as if there are 2 scenarios:
1) Something happened before that morning, and all the changes in routine were set up to 'cover' for that.
2) There were changes in routine that morning that opened the door for a random or semi-random abduction. That is, Cheryl died as a result of those changes - they were not fabricated to cover for her earlier death.

I am still in the 2) camp.

And I think we have to be careful about saying "Cheryl would never have done X" or "Cheryl would have made this choice, rather than that one" - AFAIK none of us knew her. And even if we did, that doesn't mean we'd be able to predict her behavior. (Thinking about a lot of the suicide cases on WS in which family members initially said "She would never leave her kids" or "He was not depressed")

I still haven't seen info about where she usually parked. Do we know? Did she park in the main transit center lot? Or did she park on the outskirts and walk, so that she could get home faster at the end of her day?

I'm going with either your #1, or a suicide. I just do not see this as a random stranger attack.

I know we're all hoping for some answers to make some sense of this awful tragedy but sleuthing people that haven't even been named as a suspect or POI is against TOS here. Just a friendly reminder :)

KCPQ news in Seattle is anticipating word this morning from the medical examiner as to cause and manner of death. They say there will be a presser at 8:30 am Pacific Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SacramentoKing