Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI LE are still investigating as a homicide, but have yet to rule out other causes as well.

FYI LE are still investigating as a homicide, but have yet to rule out other causes as well.

And this is the the thing that makes us scratch our heads, not knowing what to think…

But when you post it that way, it sounds like they might be ruling out other causes, not ruling in other causes, but making sure that other causes will not apply or don't apply, perhaps. They have to be thorough in the investigation.

IMOO.

Other causes could include a heart attack from the attack etc. I watched dr.g medical examiner quite a bit. One thing I noticed was she would not rule a case closed until toxicology reports came back even when it was clear to her what the cause of death was. Moo

Other causes could include a heart attack from the attack etc. I watched dr.g medical examiner quite a bit. One thing I noticed was she would not rule a case closed until toxicology reports came back even when it was clear to her what the cause of death was. Moo

Thanks. This makes sense.

I hope they find who did this soon. It makes me so uneasy. I look similar to Cheryl and have a giving heart like hers. I help people when I see they need help. One thing I do believe is no matter where we live we are never truly safe from harm. There are bad people all around us.
Stryker57, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother. Thank you for joining and helping to clear some info that has us running in circles. Moo

A random crime of opportunity would definitely put the community on edge.

Mixed messages in media from the police, in my opinion…

"February 15, 2016"
"Though police are calling the circumstances of DeBoer’s disappearance “suspicious,” Pickard tells residents that for now, they should not be afraid to be in Mountlake Terrace.

“It is safe here,” Pickard said. "

http://mltnews.com/mlt-police-say-body-found-sunday-matches-description-of-cheryl-deboer/

"February 17, 2016"

"The Mountlake Terrace Police Department has been saying they don’t believe there is a public safety concern."

http://mltnews.com/small-cuts-found-on-cheryl-deboers-hands/

A random crime of opportunity would be a safety concern.
I wonder if the police feel, it won't happen again?
Or is there a POI that LE is watching?

I hope there are answers soon, stryker57.

IMOO.

Perhaps this is what the police department does; tells us that they do not believe that there is a public safety concern, in order not to cause panic or hamper their investigation.

JMO

This just continues to be heartbreaking. I can hardly put my thoughts into words. If random, it just seems so crazily unlikely that something so horrifying and huge happened with no one seeing a thing despite it being commuter time, despite the police station being so close, despite this not being an area noted for violent crime, despite the very small window of opportunity. How awful. How horribly unpredictable.

And this seems so trite to say, but I not only hate that this happened to Cheryl, but I hate how this will have changed her loved ones forever. I want this person caught. I want justice.

Remember I am only expressing my opinions. I can't speak for the LE investigating. They neither agree, or disagree with my opinion. They are still investigating with open minds.

As far as LE go, aren't they obligated to give the public information if there are safety concerns? Not about a crime, but about public safety?

As far as LE go, aren't they obligated to give the public information if there are safety concerns? Not about a crime, but about public safety?

Not sure what their obligation is. I believe there is a fine line here. Remember, if something is said and can be quoted, it can be used, there are always ramifications.
I can think of this one immediately; real estate agents having to dispel the fear that was possibly put in their clients eyes pertaining to a particular area.

JMO

Not sure what their obligation is. I believe there is a fine line here. Remember, if something is said and can be quoted, it can be used, there are always ramifications.
I can think of this one immediately; real estate agents having to dispel the fear that was possibly put in their clients eyes pertaining to a particular area.

JMO

Yes, I expect it would be a fine line.
I am trying to remember other cases and how LE dealt with the public info on safety

As members of the public I think we would all like to think that they're obligated but in reality while it would be nice, I don't think it's an obligation. You also have to think about it from their perspective, if they were to tell the public that their safety could be at risk it might cause people to panic. If the public panicked it could cause more harm than good and take LE's focus away from solving the case. I'm not sure if this is making any sense at all. I have two family members who work in crime scene investigation and they have told stories to us numerous times where LE did fear that their suspect was a danger to the public but they had no way of letting the public know without it causing more of a problem.

I also think it's important to remember that when something like this happens, the public is typically going to be more aware of their surroundings even though LE might say there isn't any danger to the public.

I am so sorry - if this turns out to be the case - and you lost your dear mom to such a senseless act. It seems totally incomprehensible that Cheryl lost her life over the contents of her purse?!? It is so hard to protect yourself from such an arbitrary and gratuitous crime on a Monday morning commute...

Well, I really hope that the person has a record and the Forensics crew will be able to find evidence to find and convict. Maybe DNA in the car? Are you able to say whether the car was used by any one other than Cheryl that day?

WAIT,,,,,, where did the above bolded statement come from? Or am I totally missing something? Is this your own opinion?

WAIT,,,,,, where did the above bolded statement come from? Or am I totally missing something? Is this your own opinion?

Not missing anything, this is their opinion, probably based on me saying I believe this to be a crime of opportunity.

Random crime of opportunity.
Thank you Stryker57, I also want to add that we have had and still currently have many many family members of victims of various crimes. Fathers, sons, daughters, and the like.

I'm curious as to why you are forming the opinion of random crime of opportunity? These are very rare, and usually (IMO) a burglary gone wrong doesn't end in murder, nor transporting a body, nor dumping in a highly populated area. Can you please elaborate on your opinion?

Thank you Stryker57, I also want to add that we have had and still currently have many many family members of victims of various crimes. Fathers, sons, daughters, and the like.

I'm curious as to why you are forming the opinion of random crime of opportunity? These are very rare, and usually (IMO) a burglary gone wrong doesn't end in murder, nor transporting a body, nor dumping in a highly populated area. Can you please elaborate on your opinion?
As far as family, friends, and coworkers know she has no enemies.
No history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or mental health issues, never gone missing before. Certain food items left out at home as if she was prepared make dinner that night, after returning from work. Certain items of hers missing.

Accident doesn't make sense. No reason for her to be anywhere near that location.

As far as family, friends, and coworkers know she has no enemies.
No history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or mental health issues, never gone missing before. Certain food items left out at home as if she was prepared make dinner that night, after returning from work. Certain items of hers missing.

Accident doesn't make sense. No reason for her to be anywhere near that location.

It's just confusing the police say there is no danger, that the neighborhood (the park and ride) is safe, if this crime was random.

It's just confusing the police say there is no danger, that the neighborhood (the park and ride) is safe, if this crime was random.

They did remind people to be cautious, which is always good practice. Even if this was a random and unexplainable crime, I can understand the notion that the community is still as relatively safe as ever. I don't mean to make light of any of this, of course, but one crime doesn't really change things statistically.

If LE thought that, for instance, people were lying in wait along the wooded path, I would hope their advice to be cautious would be much more forceful, or patrols would be stepped up around the park-and-ride. (Maybe they have been.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08