Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. From what I can see after searching for all the images of the Subaru, the photos seem to come from 3 different batches (taken in different lighting conditions at different times from different angles). This almost suggests that media was allowed into the holding facility before or after a press conference to take pictures. If there was obvious damage to the car, surely this would have been reported?
Yeah, I feel like it wouldn't make sense to release photos of a broken window, but not mention it. If they didn't want the information to be public, I don't think they would publish the photo. So I'm leaning towards no.

One thing to consider is that is a very open area with 3 lanes of arterial traffic. And it's a bit of a long way from road from a car to put a body in culvert. Why go to such lengths to do that? Seems odd location. It seems like a place someone might walk to and get some privacy. Who knows.

There is actually a space to park off the road adjacent to the culvert. It would just take moving the body a few feet from the car to dump it into the culvert. I think someone could have easily done it in broad daylight because the parking space provides a vantage point for someone to see cars coming from all three directions. It's a T intersection.

I do not believe for even a fleeting moment that someone would walk the mile+ from 58th to that arterial and cross it to get some alone time in the ditch. If the goal was to be alone, she could have gone into the park or back home. The culvert and pull out is not an appealing destination by any stretch. It's just a quick place to dump a body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When CD "went into" the culvert, I think all that vegetation had overgrown the opening and it wasn't as apparent that the culvert was there on that side. Looking at the pictures it looks like it has recently been cut back.

I definitely got the impression that it had been recently cut back when I was there on Feb 20.

There is actually a space to park off the road adjacent to the culvert. It would just take moving the body a few feet from the car to dump it into the culvert. I think someone could have easily done it in broad daylight because the parking space provides a vantage point for someone to see cars coming from all three directions. It's a T intersection.

I do not believe for even a fleeting moment that someone would walk the mile+ from 58th to that arterial and cross it to get some alone time in the ditch. If the goal was to be alone, she could have gone into the park or back home. The culvert and pull out is not an appealing destination by any stretch. It's just a quick place to dump a body.

Nor for even one nanosecond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4f04a1e59823ed3299940061f8b6d9e4.jpg

dc211cc93c5a027ffc1df842bcd48b4e.jpg

b55d4cb034cf1905f963d96123b5a003.jpg

The above photos should help with orientation of crime scene.

Thank you for posting these. It solidifies that she was found on the wooded / east side of the culvert, either just underneath or in the brush. The focus is there and there isn't any police tape on the west side, though I know the entire road was closed off more than once.

I'm very much thinking drowning. It fits with knowing cause & mechanism but not manner, and with Pickard saying it would all make sense later. I just wish we knew how long she had (or hadn't) been there. It sits in my gut. What a painful case.

4f04a1e59823ed3299940061f8b6d9e4.jpg

dc211cc93c5a027ffc1df842bcd48b4e.jpg

b55d4cb034cf1905f963d96123b5a003.jpg

The above photos should help with orientation of crime scene.

The sign provides coverage between the parking space and the ditch. Even more reason that it would be convenient for someone to quickly pull off the road, wait for no cars coming, drag a body the few feet from the car, drop in the ditch and head off without attracting attention.

Don't u all think if someone murdered her they would have chosen someplace else to hide her?

No, it seems like a convenient place to quickly dump a body. Is it the BEST place? No, I am sure someone could have gone more remote if they had the time and inclination. But when you see it in person, it doesn't seem like an unlikely dumping ground for a killer. (At least not to me.)

Hi,
I've been watching this site since Cheryl was missing and I want to offer my condolences to Stryker and his family.
I use the MLT park and ride every day, and I live about a mile away from the Cedar Way culvert.
I have been amazed that the only presence I have seen at MLT P&R was Friends of CD the Wed following Her disappearance. They were holding photos and asking each person getting off the bus if we had seen her. I have not seen any police presence at all, nor have I seen or heard that they interviewed any of us P&R users about seeing anything out of the ordinary. My concern is that MLT police are missing a possible source of information.

that one pic of the side view shows a two story condo in the background, there is a window on the second floor where if it was daylight and someone was watching out that window they would have had a birds eye view of the cime. If the killer did dump her there he was bold and so I guess he got away since I have not heard of any witnesses seeing anything which is sad.

As I typed this note, I have local TV on and saw a commercial that Seattle PD does not test all of the rape kits they collect, only 1 in 5, wow that is reassuring, good job Seattle- geesh

Hi,
I've been watching this site since Cheryl was missing and I want to offer my condolences to Stryker and his family.
I use the MLT park and ride every day, and I live about a mile away from the Cedar Way culvert.
I have been amazed that the only presence I have seen at MLT P&R was Friends of CD the Wed following Her disappearance. They were holding photos and asking each person getting off the bus if we had seen her. I have not seen any police presence at all, nor have I seen or heard that they interviewed any of us P&R users about seeing anything out of the ordinary. My concern is that MLT police are missing a possible source of information.

It has just been my observation they appear to be a little light on their feet. I do not know why either, under staffed ? Dallas PD is wicked to the point of over prosecution sometimes, maybe thats cause in Texas, well they will " string you up" LOL

Hello redbaron!
Thanks for joining us :)

:welcome5:

It must be quite disconcerting to be watching this as a local with the mixed messages coming from police.
Especially using the same park and ride!
Please chime in with your ideas...

Exactly my thoughts. I wonder, considering the video surveillance does not show Cheryl's car at her home.
The perp could have been in her car and she did not know it at the time, perhaps.

IMOO.

If someone was waiting at the house~ I think the texts to her co-worker would have not mentioned the missing badge. The badge was at home so if we play out this theory, and the perp did the texting they would have had to know about the badge and would have had to put it there or hid it beforehand.

If someone got in at the parking place - looking for a car to stay in and found it unlocked I would think they would run or have to use her car to drive to the culvert. I know cases in which dirt on the tires can determine where the had been. I don't feel the car was ever moved.

Just something to keep in mind. LE does not always release all of the info they have. We don't know what all was found in the car, other than a mention of blood. No details on how much, if it was fresh or old, etc...

An example of LE holding back is this case I ran across last month. Bonnie Santiago.

LE knew there was blood in Bonnie's vehicle, footprints on the inside of the windshield, and the rear view mirror was almost ripped off. They knew there was likely foul play, yet still maintained it was a missing persons case. The info about the vehicle only came out a year and a half later in a search warrant.

We don't know and may never know what all LE has as evidence in Cheryl's case unless they charge someone and it goes to trial.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No, it seems like a convenient place to quickly dump a body. Is it the BEST place? No, I am sure someone could have gone more remote if they had the time and inclination. But when you see it in person, it doesn't seem like an unlikely dumping ground for a killer. (At least not to me.)

It's an ideal location.

If she had died during a (known) kidnapping, the manner of death would be homicide, regardless of actual cause of death. And from what I can tell, it is manner of death, more than cause, which is yet to be determined.

I understood that Cheryl's death is being investigated as a homicide, but other possibilities are being explored. It's a bit like: the man who murdered his wife is being investigated as a suspect, but other possibilities are being explored.

Cause of death could be drowning & drug intoxication (instinctive to survive drowning), perhaps strangulation. The two self-inflicted injuries to one hand suggest that the injury happened at the time of her abduction/murder, but they are self-inflicted - and she bled in her car and on the passenger door.

The absence of known date of death - that doesn't make sense. We can look at the temperature in the area for the week prior to the discovery of her body and calculate the degree of expected decomposition. What would prevent the coroner from providing an accurate time of death - at the very least, what day? To me, that suggests that her body condition did not indicate a week of decomposition.

Just something to keep in mind. LE does not always release all of the info they have. We don't know what all was found in the car, other than a mention of blood. No details on how much, if it was fresh or old, etc...

An example of LE holding back is this case I ran across last month. Bonnie Santiago.

LE knew there was blood in Bonnie's vehicle, footprints on the inside of the windshield, and the rear view mirror was almost ripped off. They knew there was likely foul play, yet still maintained it was a missing persons case. The info about the vehicle only came out a year and a half later in a search warrant.

We don't know and may never know what all LE has as evidence in Cheryl's case unless they charge someone and it goes to trial.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why not ask Stryker if it was normal for his mom to drive a car where she had bled on the passenger seat and passenger door? Most people would clean that up as soon as it happened, but who knows - perhaps the blood had been in the car for months, and she had self inflicted injuries.

I'm of the opinion that police would not have mentioned this information without a reason.

It's an ideal location.

Is it an ideal location for a first timer, or a seasoned murderer?

What does the location of the body tell us about the proximity between murderer's home and body?

The first photo I saw as to where she was found was the culvert on the other side of the street which was very bare and open
That was the only photo I ever saw.
This area is very secluded and overgrown.
I see it is also a bike path.

I agree but also think it indicates it wasn't planned. The place seems like the choice of someone a little panicky and not the choice of a planned murder.

Is it an ideal location for a first timer, or a seasoned murderer?

What does the location of the body tell us about the proximity between murderer's home and body?

Yes I wonder too if the location was random or if the perp was very familiar with it by routine (ex. either passing by the location often, working near or on it - landscaping, trash/highway clean up program, etc). Personally, I have to believe this person lives near the area because it seems like a risky intersection to pick if someone was unfamiliar with the traffic pattern at the intersection. Even if local - it still seems very risky but I guess if drugs were involved this person may not have been so concerned about risks especially if on a crazed hunt for a fix. I wish we knew if any personal items of value were missing which would help indicate robbery.

Off topic a bit but related - Was this the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday? Just wondering if big money was owed or the person was out all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08