Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8947355

The most commonly identified stressor leading to the suicide in this population was failing health. The use of this method as a means of "self deliverance," as advocated by the Hemlock Society, could be inferred in only a small minority of cases where terminal illnesses were identified. This method may be preferred by those older than 50 years because of the ready availability of plastic bags and the relative nonviolence of the death. Analysis of the autopsy findings showed no specific features for this method of suicide. In particular, petechiae, which are often considered a marker of asphyxia, were present in only a small minority of cases (3%).

I misunderstood your post. I apologize.

ETA: Post was to DatelineFan RE: Verification. Quote function didn't work

So did she say she was verified?
Right now I can't see 'Verified Insider' underneath her WS username, which it usually shows.
So I thought she wasn't verified.

So confused :blushing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8429773

Suffocation by plastic bag is not common. The finding of a body at the scene of death with a plastic bag in situ could be diagnostically valuable to the pathologist. Otherwise the pathologist may be hard put to arrive at a firm opinion as to how the deceased met his/her death; in fact, in three of the cases reported in this paper, the local pathologist could not give a cause of death when the initial autopsy was performed. Plastic bags could be accidentally placed over the head; put there to help in the inhalation of volatile substances; with homicidal intention; or simply as an effective suicidal method. The object of this paper is to study the cases where bodies were found with a plastic bag over the head, and in particular the cases where the cause of death was due to plastic bag suffocation.

Maybe I'm just not understanding :) I just don't see what would create a seal. I will agree to disagree.

Put your hand in a plastic bag.. Submerse in in water.. Bag will "cling" to your hand...same principal but even more dramatic when you're sucking in the bag with every breath.

Disclaimer: I am not sold on suicide but am entertaining the possibility.

I don't know how to annotate the map but I have posted previously that IMO the most likely route would have been east on 236th (perhaps of interest: this would have passed close to her house, which is also close to a large heavily wooded park. Perhaps one of these was her original destination), then south on Cedar. This route has sidewalks the entire way The sidewalk along Cedar stops at 244th.

You may be wondering why she didn't choose to stop where Lyon Creek passes under 236th. That immediate area is very populated with homes and apartments, and there is a lot of car traffic there at rush hour.

You can "walk" this route yourself via Google maps street view. It is interesting. That's how I verified the sidewalks' existence, which I had recalled incorrectly.

I feel that if she did walk to the culvert, she may have started out with no definite decision or plan solidified yet. But the culvert where she ended up is, I believe, the closest relatively secluded one to her car.

Based on the map, those look like major roads. If the surveillance camera recorded her car at 7:02AM on 236 St. and 56 Ave., wouldn't that same camera record her later in the morning on 236 St. as well?

Just to clarify, the poster who shared about the gun has no been officially verified to my knowledge.
Hey, I'm so sorry! I misread your post! I was distracted. I thought she had been verified, but I could be wrong. My apologies!

Based on the map, those look like major roads. If the surveillance camera recorded her car at 7:02AM on 236 St. and 56 Ave., wouldn't that same camera record her later in the morning on 236 St. as well?

I think she could easily have dodged the cameras if she wanted to.

I am a generally a very suspicious person, so I understand looking at every angle. However, please consider that Cheryl's only son is on this thread and imagine how hurtful, as a likely designee, this speculation might be, and there is no evidence (at least that I know of) to support it. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have told him how sorry I am and really you could say that about any speculation we make on here. I feel terrible for this family but we are discussing all possibilities and you can bet the cops are doing so too and there is no evidence of suicide either but look at how much that is being discussed, I would bet that hurts even more. Again I am so terrbily sorry and really I just dont know what to think about this case. I hope and pray if it was a murder the culprit is caught fast and if it was a suicide that they find peace, Stryker said he was leaving as I bet all of our converstaions hurt him immensely

Maybe a brave soul on the police force can try to recreate the suicide by loose plastic bag/falling face first into the water scenario. (With backup to rescue him/her of course)

I have told him how sorry I am and really you could say that about any speculation we make on here. I feel terrible for this family but we are discussing all possibilities and you can bet the cops are doing so too and there is no evidence of suicide either but look at how much that is being discussed, I would bet that hurts even more. Again I am so terrbily sorry and really I just dont know what to think about this case. I hope and pray if it was a murder the culprit is caught fast and if it was a suicide that they find peace, Stryker said he was leaving as I bet all of our converstaions hurt him immensely

Oh I know. Some of that hurtfulness is just unavoidable in discussing the case. The realities are horrific. I was just thinking that speculating that a life ins beneficiary could be to blame for this crime when neither spouse nor child are POI's could be crossing the line. Maybe I am hypersensitive because I was one of the people who drove by the house, which I know creeped him out! It's ok. The mods will let us know if we cross the line. I was just bringing up a consideration.

ETA: I do agree that if this wasn't suicide, it must have been a targeted crime, likely by someone who knows her well and with motive. Staged to look like suicide. Not some random robbery or killing.

While I believe murder is unlikely, due to the oddness of the circumstances, I was wondering if she had bumper stickers or other outward indications of her penchant for hunting. Many people are strongly opposed to hunting as a sport and the animal blood could be factor if by some wild chance she was attacked by an animal rights activist. Just a thought...as there does not seem to be a motive for murder here and if it WAS murder, it does not bear the hallmarks of a random killing, Imo.

He is a link to a possible walking route from the location of Cheryl's car to the culvert. The site gives you the option to choose a mode of transport and but does not allow you to edit the route (you are only able to edit start and end points). This route was generated by Google as being pedestrian-friendly as I choose the "walking" option it therefore it avoids major arterials and intersections - as a result there are no traffic cams visible and few commercial properties en route...

It plays as a streetview movie on the left and map on the right:

http://www.brianfolts.com/driver/?o...on&fps=1&travelmode=WALKING&rn=walking+option

ETA: Who knows what time of day google collected these images but I am stuck by the lack of traffic, both vehicle and pedestrian.

Oh I know. Some of that hurtfulness is just unavoidable in discussing the case. The realities are horrific. I was just thinking that speculating that a life ins beneficiary could be to blame for this crime when neither spouse nor child are POI's could be crossing the line. Maybe I am hypersensitive because I was one of the people who drove by the house, which I know creeped him out! It's ok. The mods will let us know if we cross the line. I was just bringing up a consideration.

ETA: I do agree that if this wasn't suicide, it must have been a targeted crime, likely by someone who knows her well and with motive. Staged to look like suicide. Not some random robbery or killing.

that was one of my thoughts, someone who hated her or them so much they wanted to take her out and make it look like a suicide knowing the life insurance wouldnt pay in that case and they would never get closure

He is a link to a possible walking route from the location of Cheryl's car to the culvert. The site gives you the option to choose a mode of transport and but does not allow you to edit the route (you are only able to edit start and end points). This route was generated by Google as being pedestrian-friendly as I choose the "walking" option it therefore avoids avoids major arterials and intersections - as a result there are no traffic cams visible and few commercial properties en route...

http://www.brianfolts.com/driver/?o...on&fps=1&travelmode=WALKING&rn=walking+option

ETA: Who knows what time of day google collected these images but I am stuck by the lack of traffic, both vehicle and pedestrian.

that was cool thanks so much, I had asked my son if he knew how to place a car type thingy on google maps so i could drive down the road, I use this to look all over the world, its really fun like a vacation w/o having to go there. He said it wouldnt work like a video but this thing really does it. thanks again

I don't think Life Insurance plays into this, but Fred Hutch pays 2x salary.

She has the option to buy up to 1mil or 8x yearly salary whichever is less.

Do we have any other family or co-workers that sometimes come here besides the son and the cat breeder? Are there any co-workers or neighbors or family members that come here. Would love to hear more about CD the person and her relationships. This doesn't seem to be a crime of passion as those are usually messy and the person is overkilled. Why is it taking so darn long to look into her computers? Remember when that horrendous sperm donor left his little son in a car to overheat and die? They were able to get into his computer within days? What's the hang-up here? No matter the bag on her head or the freshwater drowning, I want to know what the heck happened to her phone and ID. I don't believe she would go to great lengths to hide these. I think there are perpetrators who like trophies. Like in a movie where the LE walks into the perps dark dank room and there's a collection of driver's licenses on the wall, or a drawer full of phones, etc. I still can't wrap my head around this lady taking her own life, in the manner(s) suggested. IMO.

I think she tossed her phone somewhere between her car and the culvert.
someplace she walked.
Maybe tossed in a trash can.
under a bush

Actually I think it will probably be found close to where she powered it off.
She turned it off and tossed it.

But that's JMO

They're not going to find her wallet and keys at the DeBoer home. I'm sure it has been thoroughly searched.

He is a link to a possible walking route from the location of Cheryl's car to the culvert. The site gives you the option to choose a mode of transport and but does not allow you to edit the route (you are only able to edit start and end points). This route was generated by Google as being pedestrian-friendly as I choose the "walking" option it therefore it avoids major arterials and intersections - as a result there are no traffic cams visible and few commercial properties en route...

You know something else, I think this route traces part of a family shortcut that Stryker posted way upthread. He was talking about her likely route between home and where the car was found, IIRC. I will try to find his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08