WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
L.D. Cooper's brother was a Boeing employee. Marla Cooper' s uncles.

It seems the person would likely have to know quite a bit about airplanes and know of which type of plane would allow a jump out the back.

Its always struck me as a genious move from the rear of the plane because if he jumped out a side door then he likely would have gotten killed bouncing along the sides of the airplane as the wind would bounce him along the side for a little bit before going downward. Similar to if you was to throw a gum wrapper out the window of a moving car it would go straight back along the side of the car first.

So he likely knew planes pretty well so it makes sense to me if he had tied to airlines. Titanium was one of the metals which is used in airplanes. Maybe a mechanic at an airline.

I also wondered if some traumatic event happened in his life like getting knowledge of having cancer or something. Something that would make him not afraid of dying.

Glad to hear about tie analysis getting more pub, hopefully the right individual will see this. The one thing that niggles me a lot is whether he survived or not. I would think if that neighbor in 2B or uncle Joe just didn't show up after a few days, wouldn't someone likely notice. If he did survive, he'd do well to completely deflect suspicion for so long. Perhaps he bribed someone who did notice, then they'd be in on it and keep quiet? I still am puzzled that no one (credible) hes come forward, and no body has ever been found.

I don't want to get off track with the name. But, when I lived in Seattle around 82-84. I was in my pre-teens. I somehow became friends with a man named Bob. Slender white male. 5'-7" to 5'-11". Always dressed in slacks and short sleeved dress shirts. Had glasses and lived alone. He used to ride a bike daily and we used to ride with him. Friends and I. He lived very moderately, and looked to young to be retired.
attachment.php
attachment.php

He lived in the bottom right apartment. I lived in the brick apartments in the 2nd pic back then. He was very well spoken. Did not have any adult friends that I can think of. At times we would eat at the Sizzler on Broadway. It was next to an old video arcade at the time. If what people are now saying that DB Cooper had worked at Boeing. Then there could a chance that Bob may have worked at Boeing. I am not 100% sure of his past occupation. But, at least wanted to give my memories some life. Of, course I may be wrong because if he had money. He would not have take me or friends to some free meals at a Catholic church at times.

Do you remember how old Bob was?

I have wondered what Cooper's end game plan really was. He had prepared and used specialized knowledge to carry out the hijacking. I just can't figure out how he figured the plan could be successful. I can't see any way he could accurately predict where he would land and be able to make a safe getaway.

Also I can't remember seeing any speculation on whether he had a confederate to aid him with his plan. I have wondered if he may have had someone to signal him with a light or something from the ground on where to make the jump but I really don't see how this would even have been possible.

I have wondered what Cooper's end game plan really was. He had prepared and used specialized knowledge to carry out the hijacking. I just can't figure out how he figured the plan could be successful. I can't see any way he could accurately predict where he would land and be able to make a safe getaway.

Also I can't remember seeing any speculation on whether he had a confederate to aid him with his plan. I have wondered if he may have had someone to signal him with a light or something from the ground on where to make the jump but I really don't see how this would even have been possible.

If he jumped near the Columbia River, where the money was found, he wouldn't have needed an accomplice to signal him with a light. His view would have looked something like this.

25qbwo2.jpg

It seems the person would likely have to know quite a bit about airplanes and know of which type of plane would allow a jump out the back.

Its always struck me as a genious move from the rear of the plane because if he jumped out a side door then he likely would have gotten killed bouncing along the sides of the airplane as the wind would bounce him along the side for a little bit before going downward. Similar to if you was to throw a gum wrapper out the window of a moving car it would go straight back along the side of the car first.

So he likely knew planes pretty well so it makes sense to me if he had tied to airlines. Titanium was one of the metals which is used in airplanes. Maybe a mechanic at an airline.

I also wondered if some traumatic event happened in his life like getting knowledge of having cancer or something. Something that would make him not afraid of dying.

A side door in any aircraft can not be opened in flight -they are plug doors- the air pressure differences make the door "smush" (for lack of better description!) like a seal to the plane

It was widely known that the 727 had a rear extending set of stairs- back then it was a selling "feature" no need for moving stairs or bridges etc.

That mattered back then cause a lot of airports had limited bridges etc etc .

And she became famous for her abilty to land on short runways- which meant smaller airports so they had to come up with that design to help sell the plane (which they did amazingly -- the 727 was a "workhorse" for decades.

Three engines vs four = fuel!

They also gave cleaning crews and jazz access to the aircraft from the rear where the galleys are - make it is quicker to reprovision for departure.

The interesting thing I never hear discussed is, his original drop zone was not north of Portland. He had asked them to fly at 10k feet towards Mexico City which would have been towards the SE. If he had jumped at about the same time, he would have landed closer to Yakima, WA. If he had an accomplice, or a vehicle waiting, it should have been near there. With all his planning and knowledge of airplanes, how did he miss the mountains? It makes me think he was totally alone on this.

The interesting thing I never hear discussed is, his original drop zone was not north of Portland. He had asked them to fly at 10k feet towards Mexico City which would have been towards the SE. If he had jumped at about the same time, he would have landed closer to Yakima, WA. If he had an accomplice, or a vehicle waiting, it should have been near there. With all his planning and knowledge of airplanes, how did he miss the mountains? It makes me think he was totally alone on this.

I believe they negotiated the route with him, and he agreed that the plane could stop in Reno to refuel. Reno is more south, then southeast of Seattle. Also when he demanded that they fly at 10,000 feet I think that eliminated the possibility of the plane flying towards Yakima. Since the mountain peaks between Seattle and Yakima are higher than 10,000 feet. I think he knew that the plane would fly over Portland. Which coincidentally is where he got on.

This guy was found in prison. It was all over the network news here in Ohio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I believe they negotiated the route with him, and he agreed that the plane could stop in Reno to refuel. Reno is more south, then southeast of Seattle. Also when he demanded that they fly at 10,000 feet I think that eliminated the possibility of the plane flying towards Yakima. Since the mountain peaks between Seattle and Yakima are higher than 10,000 feet. I think he knew that the plane would fly over Portland. Which coincidentally is where he got on.

I have listened to interviews with the copilot and based on what I remember if he had gotten his way, he would not be near Portland. Apparently it was not so important where he would land.

Another thought I have had about this case, other than the landing zone is his appearance. You would think he would disguise himself in some way. So maybe he did. What if most of his friends at the time only saw him with long hair and facial hair? remember the times? If a "hippie" or someone who rebels against convention, decided to put on a disguise, he might shave and put on a cheap suit. Given this latest information, maybe a suit and tie he use to wear before he rebelled. Or maybe from a second hand shop. I am thinking if he made it and went on to live his life, nobody reported him missing of course. But if he did go missing, maybe the descriptions given to various police depts by a sister, friend, parent, etc, is more Jerry Garcia than GI Joe.

I have listened to interviews with the copilot and based on what I remember if he had gotten his way, he would not be near Portland. Apparently it was not so important where he would land.

I believe his demands were to fly the plane to Mexico City at 10,000 feet. That would pretty much require the plane to fly over Portland. The pilot informed him that a refueling stop would be necessary. Cooper agreed to allow the plane to stop in Reno.

I believe his demands were to fly the plane to Mexico City at 10,000 feet. That would pretty much require the plane to fly over Portland. The pilot informed him that a refueling stop would be necessary. Cooper agreed to allow the plane to stop in Reno.

Thats not how I remember. He asked to fly towards Mexico City which would be SE. The copilot told him the could not maintain 10k in that direction due to the mountains. The pilot said he would have to fly south before turning to reno. Cooper obviously never intended to go to Mexico City anyway but he was not concerned about route either. If he had a definite route involved he could have asked them to fly over the mountains then lower to 10k. I think he was only concerned with a remote drop site, and he would go from there. I am not sure he planned as well as folklore suggests. I think he was desperate for some reason.

Thats not how I remember. He asked to fly towards Mexico City which would be SE. The copilot told him the could not maintain 10k in that direction due to the mountains. The pilot said he would have to fly south before turning to reno. Cooper obviously never intended to go to Mexico City anyway but he was not concerned about route either. If he had a definite route involved he could have asked them to fly over the mountains then lower to 10k. I think he was only concerned with a remote drop site, and he would go from there. I am not sure he planned as well as folklore suggests. I think he was desperate for some reason.

Do you have a link for that information? Some of the reports I have read, say that the route was Cooper's idea. To me, it sounds like there was a lot of negotiations between Cooper and the crew over the exact route they would take. Either way Cooper was very familiar with the geography of the area. With his demands that they fly at 10,000 feets, I don't see how he could not have known that they would fly over Portland. There really wasn't any other good route the plane could have taken.

Do you have a link for that information? Some of the reports I have read, say that the route was Cooper's idea. To me, it sounds like there was a lot of negotiations between Cooper and the crew over the exact route they would take. Either way Cooper was very familiar with the geography of the area. With his demands that they fly at 10,000 feets, I don't see how he could not have known that they would fly over Portland. There really wasn't any other good route the plane could have taken.

10K is also generally considered the altitude at which you can breath without masks
so it makes sense that 10k would be discussed and important in jumping!

This may clarify a little, see pages 23, 29, 31(website pages, not numbers printed on the copies). Sounds like fuel was the limiting factor.

https://true.ink/story/d-b-cooper-fbi-files-released/

I just finished reading some of the transcripts from the plane. From the beginning, he seemed to talk about having those stairs down and was asking for parachutes? If he really wanted them to fly him to Mexico City, why have the stairs down? He obviously always intended to jump before he got to Mexico City. I can see no other explanation for the stairs. Would make more sense for him to want to jump in an area that he was familiar with. I think he knew they had to fly over Portland area no matter what. I think he also knew they would need to refuel. They aren't exactly sure when he jumped. I also wonder why he had an unused parachute. Was there someone else on that plane with him that chickened out or did another person on the plane with him deplane with the passengers when the plane refueled? Until then, all of the stewardesses were kept away from the back of the plane. A partner could have planned to remain on the plane when the passengers got off and then chickened out and got off as well. I think there has to be someone else out there that knew what was going on.

My understanding is that there are defined routes that commercial aircraft use between airports. In mountainous areas there may be multiple routes to accommodate different cruising altitudes. Someone who was very familiar with these routes would know what route the aircraft would follow if they were given a destination and a maximum cruising altitude. I think DB wanted the flight to go over the area north of Vancouver Wa because it presented an optimal drop site. It was reasonably flat (mostly farm land or pasture with little human presence but plenty of access roads. I suspect he knew the area well and he had some escape transportation arranged.

The tricky part is that DB would be jumping at night and that particular night it was overcast. He was jumping blind. The only way he would know when to jump would be to first determine how many minutes it would take the aircraft to get up to requested speed on course in the anticipated flight path then he would have to determine the exact number of minutes it would take to reach where he wanted to jump. He would have to leave the craft at the exact minute.

This would take planning and faith that the pilot would follow his instructions. Any serious deviation or miscalculation on his part and he would fail and likely die. It suggests nerve on his part ( or perhaps desperation). It also suggest that he was very familiar with airline procedures. I think the guy survived, took the money and made a clean getaway.

This may clarify a little, see pages 23, 29, 31(website pages, not numbers printed on the copies). Sounds like fuel was the limiting factor.

https://true.ink/story/d-b-cooper-fbi-files-released/

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. That they were negotiating with him, where to refuel.

I don't think it made much difference to him though. I think he was already planning to jump in the Portland area. He just didn't want them to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slim Summers