WA - Four killed in Pilchuk High School shooting, Marysville, 24 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've read a few interviews that said Jaylen walked up behind the kids and started shooting. I'm trying to find the article that quoted a kid who witnessed it. I wonder if he shot Zoe first? She died on the scene so maybe he had the advantage of taking them by surprise. The others must have reacted after the initial shot but they probably couldn't get far if they were all seated at a lunchroom table. :( The girls were probably on their phones. I am thinking Nate was probably the last to be shot since the others all suffered severe head injuries and he was hit in the jaw.

It was a round table in the cafeteria, some of the students had their backs to him, some didn't.

I was thinking he shot Zoe first and Nate last. I am hoping that the message from the community and tribe to the kids doesn't turn into "idolization" for lack of a better word. He is now infamous and I think it is a very slippery slope to give the message of forgiveness but also stern warnings that this was not acceptable. I am a little fearful that the message is leaning way too much in the "forgiveness" side and not enough emphasis is being placed on never allowing this type of behavior to happen again. I know this is a hot topic, and I am not trying to upset anyone - JMO.

4th UPDATE — Marysville Pilchuck High's shooting victims were targeted, sheriff says

The medical examiner on Monday said Zoe R. Galasso, 14, was fatally shot in the head. Her death was classified a homicide.

Gia Soriano, 14, died Sunday night at Providence Regional Medical Center Everett, Dr. Joanne Roberts, the hospital's chief medical officer, confirmed. The medical examiner is expected to determine the cause of her death later.

The sheriff added that he wouldn't speculate on anything being reported by media or on social media that had not been confirmed by detectives.

Trenary said he had no information about rumors about Jaylen leaving behind a letter.

I agree, wenwe4. Forgiveness doesn't mean that what he did was right by any means. When I say I feel empathy for him, in NO WAY am I saying that I support him shooting and killing his friends!

I've seen a Facebook account and now a twitter account that have a picture up of either a sign or a t-shirt that says "Team Jaylen" with ribbons like the fight cancer ribbons in place of the "a's" in each word. The Facebook account is someone very very close to Jaylen. I'm not sure that saying one is on "Team Jaylen" is a good message to send..... my heart completely goes out to all the families and friends..... Just such an awful situation. :(

Grieving is an individual process, and everyone arrives at a place of forgiveness in their own time, if at all. I hope the kids in that community are given the freedom to express anger, if that's what they are truly feeling. I think most of them are in a state of shock and denial right now. Going back to school and feeling the absence of their classmates as they get back into their routine is when reality may start to sink in.

Chairman Herman Williams, Sr. Responds to Tragedy at Marysville Pilchuck High School

TULALIP, WA -- October 24, 2014

"I am deeply saddened by the terrible tragedy in our local school district. Our prayers go out to the families and the entire community.

Our first priority is to support the families and the children of those involved.

Our community is reeling from this experience, so we ask that the media and the public honor the families and our children in this time of grief. Sadly, we are now experiencing what has become a national trend, which we, as a society, must address.

These are our children. They are suffering, and their lives will be forever changed.

The fact that tribal members were involved makes it extremely hard to respond to any inquiries until we are aware of all the circumstances.

As chairman, I ask everyone to pray for the children and families of those involved."

http://www.tulaliptribes-nsn.gov/

New update from the hospital:
[h=1]Updates on Marysville Shooting[/h][h=3]Update – 11:00 a.m., Oct. 28[/h]Shaylee Chuckulnaskit remains in critical condition at Providence Regional Medical Center with family at her side. Please continue to keep Shaylee in your thoughts and prayers.

The entire Providence family continues to hold all those affected by this tragedy close to our heart. As a ministry, we understand the power of prayer and the importance of reflection in the midst of these times. We thank those of you who joined us at 10:39 a.m. yesterday, Oct. 27, as Providence caregivers from Alaska to Southern California observed a moment of silence in honor of Shaylee, Gia, their families, and the other victims.

http://washington.providence.org/news/

I agree, wenwe4. Forgiveness doesn't mean that what he did was right by any means. When I say I feel empathy for him, in NO WAY am I saying that I support him shooting and killing his friends!

I've seen a Facebook account and now a twitter account that have a picture up of either a sign or a t-shirt that says "Team Jaylen" with ribbons like the fight cancer ribbons in place of the "a's" in each word. The Facebook account is someone very very close to Jaylen. I'm not sure that saying one is on "Team Jaylen" is a good message to send..... my heart completely goes out to all the families and friends..... Just such an awful situation. :(

If I read right, it's either his father, a close family member or close family friend who made up the symbol with the Team (insert shooters name) on the ribbon. People are putting this on flipping t-shirts. And people are asking where they can order them. I am so disgusted by this behavior. I've spent a lot of time wading thru Twitter and Facebook and I've yet to see anything but idolizing of the shooter. I refuse to say his name.

Gia's family made an heart wrenching decision to take her off of life support. She struggled to live another 24 hours. They then donated her organs to give life to others. I've seen no Team Gia pages out there, yet she was one of the five true victims in this shooting.

I find it very distasteful that the shooter is bring perceived as a victim. I get that he was 15 and hurting but he still knew right from wrong. It's disturbing and a complete dishonor to the true victims of this crime by idolizing the killer.

IMO

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If I read right, it's either his father, a close family member or close family friend who made up the symbol with the Team (insert shooters name) on the ribbon. People are putting this on flipping t-shirts. And people are asking where they can order them. I am so disgusted by this behavior. I've spent a lot of time wading thru Twitter and Facebook and I've yet to see anything but idolizing of the shooter. I refuse to say his name.

Gia's family made an heart wrenching decision to take her off of life support. She struggled to live another 24 hours. They then donated her organs to give life to others. I've seen no Team Gia pages out there, yet she was one of the five true victims in this shooting.

I find it very distasteful that the shooter is bring perceived as a victim. I get that he was 15 and hurting but he still knew right from wrong. It's disturbing and a complete dishonor to the true victims of this crime by idolizing the killer.

IMO

Mel

I've never seen anything like it either Mel. I am at a complete loss.

New update from the hospital:
[h=1]Updates on Marysville Shooting[/h][h=3]Update – 11:00 a.m., Oct. 28[/h]Shaylee Chuckulnaskit remains in critical condition at Providence Regional Medical Center with family at her side. Please continue to keep Shaylee in your thoughts and prayers.

The entire Providence family continues to hold all those affected by this tragedy close to our heart. As a ministry, we understand the power of prayer and the importance of reflection in the midst of these times. We thank those of you who joined us at 10:39 a.m. yesterday, Oct. 27, as Providence caregivers from Alaska to Southern California observed a moment of silence in honor of Shaylee, Gia, their families, and the other victims.

http://washington.providence.org/news/

Thanks for the update on Shaylee. I have been wondering how she is doing but I keep fearing the worst for her and Andrew.

Spell check smoking!!

Just some gut stuff here. I am sure my notions are influenced by working with troubled youth. I do not know much about that particular culture but after reading his tweets, my sense is that one of two things might have occurred.

At some point during the tweets I got the sense that someone may have found out that whomever parent they thought they were might not be true. The fact that there were “family members killed and shot at indicates some shame or secret that was too mortifying to be “discovered”..

It would help explain, in this day and age why, at this point so much remains muddled as it relates to dynamics that resulted in what occurred. Usually, by this point much nuance has already been discovered.. That type of thing is kept “secret” and is sure seems as if the secrets are many here.

At other points (did you forget that she was my g friend or something akin to that) made me ponder if a relative had sex with his old friend. There was also mention of kids so it made me wonder if there was a pregnancy in here.

I have always been surprised at the amount of anger and rage these occurrences stir in people. Victim or pained individuals can and do manifest themselves in different ways. At the end of the day, obviously, at some level he was deeply wounded as well.

Does that make his choices “correct” no but shooter or deceased, everyone is a human being, the bewilderment is more related to age. I do defiantly believe that social media has much to do with this. There are little opportunities for these kids to process troubles, share and learn how others respond to stress or wounding. Most of that stuff is not handled in 140 characters or in public forums – resulting in many secrets.

As a clinician, it is a time based entity – good therapy. It takes time, for trust to be established, for the pt to come to the conclusion that the clinician is competent, that the clinician does care, that the clinician is not judging anything. That takes words- time investment on both parties.

IMO for this generation “sharing” is about taking a picture of some salad. Being drunk, or smiling alone on a cell phone. The notion of “selfie” in and of itself implies noone else around does it not?

That is their definition of “socializing” is off -- when in reality it is a very lonely activity. How many of us older folks have pictures of ourselves just being somewhere? It is a real oddity – humans are social animals. Part of that, a big part, is being able to communicate in ways that transcend wanting a dash of cream in ones coffee.

I think this generation is going to have huge problems in the roles of husband or wife – that too takes a skill set. If you look at his tweets conflict was ended with an *advertiser censored** you, shouting was demonstrated by holding down the cap key. Solutions to whatever the issues were, were hypothetically resolved, or ignored, in a few sentences not face to face.

IMO twitter and FB are hideous, and if one looks at it the horrible increase in school shootings IMO there is a correlation between FB Twitter, cocial skills, coping skilss communication skills.s

– there are just no coping skills being developed on keyboards or in 140 charactors or in text shorthand, which in and of itself implies a need to be in a "hurry"....................................

Catching up and seeing a lot of thought similiar to He was adept at hiding his inner thoughts and feelings. If one looks at his tweets there were cries for help, talking about dying, about not being able to handle "this" about rage, and confusion -- I think the big gap does relate to social media - parents of this generation learned saw etc "models" of actual communication. So where is this generation going to "learn" that skill set.

And since Twitter is so limiting there is even no way for one to repsond for clarification or further info - too many characters! Parents IMO speak a different language among all generations (!) but with social media there is another whole language mixed in wiht generationial stuff.

To the best he "knew" and observed his peers - he was, more than once reaching out in 140 charactor bursts and smiling faces or whatever those little things are!
even conflict, wounding,love,sadness is all done in a hurry..........

Just a few responses to posts:

The Tulalip Nation is, basically, Christian. St. Anne's Catholic Church is a source of pride. Their afterlife ideas are the same as Christian beliefs.

Nate says he forgives. Many, if not all, posters here are non-NA. This might be why forgiveness is more difficult to understand.

Yeh I found the texting to get them all together indicating something "family" secret that had to be extingusihed. CLose range is personal.From all accounts it was focused attack, with no intent to harm others than those inside whatever needed to be silenced IMO

I'm sorry, but it was one thing to think that JF was angry about something and found this group together than to learn that he texted the group to meet him in the lunch room. That is chilling to me.

ETA This was no lunchroom altercation that turned into a fist fight. He was attempting to snuff out the life of at least five other people. This was calculated and planned.

I am all for understanding and prevention... I truly am not understanding the compassion for this young man. Again, I am sorry. Something must be seriously wrong with me.

IMO

Mel

ITA It reminds me of the lunkhead girls that sent love letters to Dzhokar Tsarnaev. IMO it's a product of what many of our children are being taught today. No good vs evil or right vs wrong. No scoreboards in sports for fear of hurting feelings. Not giving failing grades because little Johnny might cry. Even murderers are people too you know.

Just a few responses to posts:

The Tulalip Nation is, basically, Christian. St. Anne's Catholic Church is a source of pride. Their afterlife ideas are the same as Christian beliefs.

Nate says he forgives. Many, if not all, posters here are non-NA. This might be why forgiveness is more difficult to understand.

It's not about forgiveness and frankly your insinuation that NA people are more capable of it than others is insulting.

How about we take emotions out of it and recognize there is a huuuuuuuuge difference in being a victim of an execution and whatever type of victim the shooter seems to be in some minds.

Yeh I found the texting to get them all together indicating something "family" secret that had to be extingusihed. CLose range is personal.From all accounts it was focused attack, with no intent to harm others than those inside whatever needed to be silenced IMO

Yeah real charming guy.

I think there is a lot of cultural stuff going on here as it relates to the way the community is responding to him directly. If you think about they refer to themselves as a "tribe". I think the implications are enormous as it relates to community and famiies involved pretty consistent repsoponse to event IMO

ANd I was relieved to learn that others were confused way after the event, about how many genders etc. I could not understand why I was having such a hard time follwoing who was where, in what condition and if male or female!

it's shocking b/c things in life can turn from good to bad so fast. But they can also turn from bad to good so fast. Why did he have to react so quickly???

things could have gotten better very soon. his happy posts were very recent in october on her fb.

I think that's one of the big differences between teens and adults. We can see that, but teens live so in the moment. Even with normal teens, the smallest things seem to become the end of the world. And Jaylen's emotional reaction and lack of impulse control obviously fell outside the norm. I have a 14 year old and a 16 year old. I know they'd never turn a gun on their friends or themselves, but I can see the lack of emotional regulation and impulse control that comes with the age.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back