WA - Four killed in Pilchuk High School shooting, Marysville, 24 Oct 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No that was never confirmed- they didn't even have ID's on the girls at that time. Nate was transferred to free up resources need for the more critical. I think they moved Andrew because he was the least critical of the 3. Splitting the 4 between 2 hospitals made it easier on staff and gave the families more individual time with support staff.
I didn't hear anything on why the transferred Andrew...mere speculation on my part. You're explanation makes more sense than my thoughts. :)

There will be sweat lodges, praying, healing ceremonies as well as preparations for a feed after the funeral.

This quote from Indianz puts it succinctly; it is the core meaning of All My Relations, Mitakuye Oyasin. All of us who are Indian join the Tulalip community in their prayers.

It is at times like these that Native communities from all across Indian County come together in support of each other. As Native peoples, we recognize that every youth is sacred. Each of the young people involved in this tragedy represent a loss to the Tulalip tribes and Indian Country – they were sons, daughters, friends, and future leaders of their communities. http://www.indianz.com/News/2014/015465.asp

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...49XAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LPIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6723,8061107

I think there is a lot of cultural stuff going on here as it relates to the way the community is responding to him directly. If you think about they refer to themselves as a "tribe". I think the implications are enormous as it relates to community and famiies involved pretty consistent repsoponse to event IMO

ANd I was relieved to learn that others were confused way after the event, about how many genders etc. I could not understand why I was having such a hard time follwoing who was where, in what condition and if male or female!

I'm not sure where the story about not airlifting the boys is coming from. I watched the second boy come off the helicopter live on tv. I was at my mom's and explaining to her how goofy it is at Harborview. Victims get airlifted to the helipad, that is on the west side of the building, and get loaded into an ambulance that drives them a half block around to the ER that is on the east side. I used to drive ambulance at Harborview and have watched that many of times.

Are they saying that airlift was immediately at the scene? Normally the closest trauma center will do triage.

ETA- it is my understanding that the boy shot in the jaw was not airlifted. It seems like a weird choice considering traffic, but I suppose if that was what his family wanted and he was stable enough, it would be allowed.

Thanks for the inside info! That's my understanding too. And yeah, kind of weird that they took Nate by ground - the distance is what, about 25 miles on I-5? I guess it was early enough that traffic was light.

It wasn’t until 2:45 p.m. — more than four hours after the shooting — that a wounded boy flown by Airlift Northwest landed at Harborview. A second boy was taken to the Seattle hospital by ground ambulance.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024888408_rescuechoppermarysvillexml.html

Expense is also a huge factor - each airlift costs approx $30K. If it is a tossup between 2 hospitals - the closest would be the first choice (IMO). Not sure that either a Trauma 1 or a Trauma 3 would matter in the cases of the 2 girls who have died. Honestly, a .40 caliber @ close range to the head is not going to be a good outcome. Nate got very lucky as he was shot in the jaw. I think his brain was spared from the trauma that the others endured. Brain trauma is a very tricky thing. I once knew someone who hung themselves and had brain swelling - he lived through the ordeal after hospitalization, ICU, and near death. He lost his times tables initially and gained a tremendous amount of rage and a further criminal history in the longterm outcome. Many family members were so excited that he came out of the coma and brain trauma, but they didn't like the person he became over the years due to the brain damage suffered.

I just drove from Renton to Portland @ 2:30 p.m. on a Thursday in June - it took 5 hours and 3 of them were trying to get through traffic in Seattle.

And now, expanding on these messages ...

A message sent to an ex-GF who went to another school SHILENE GEORGE. Sent moments before he shot his friend. Reportedly he included comments that were designed to hurt her.

The photo was of him sitting at the table where the shootings took place and were of him holding the gun between his knees.

I get a feeling there is a lot we still don't know.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/10/jaylen-fryberg-school-shooter-gun-selfie/

Did I miss this?

Jaylen Fryberg sent "a message" to his parents just before the events of the Friday morning shooting. At the same time he texted a GF.

http://q13fox.com/2014/10/28/marysv...ore-opening-fire-law-enforcement-sources-say/

Expense is also a huge factor - each airlift costs approx $30K. If it is a tossup between 2 hospitals - the closest would be the first choice (IMO). Not sure that either a Trauma 1 or a Trauma 3 would matter in the cases of the 2 girls who have died. Honestly, a .40 caliber @ close range to the head is not going to be a good outcome. Nate got very lucky as he was shot in the jaw. I think his brain was spared from the trauma that the others endured. Brain trauma is a very tricky thing. I once knew someone who hung themselves and had brain swelling - he lived through the ordeal after hospitalization, ICU, and near death. He lost his times tables initially and gained a tremendous amount of rage and a further criminal history in the longterm outcome. Many family members were so excited that he came out of the coma and brain trauma, but they didn't like the person he became over the years due to the brain damage suffered.

The cost factor makes sense however, didn't it still cost to deploy the two air units to the school only to be waved off?

TIA

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As for the forgiveness part of your post [Shawnee, Choctaw, Welsh here]... In Native culture, it is a letting go so that anger doesn't eat at you and it also is not holding the deceased's spirit back but rather continuing on its journey. The connection to that person continues and anger is futile after a death.

Tulalip’s Shaker Church

Tulalips also had an Indian Shaker church. Unrelated to the better-known Protestant sect of the same name, this was a messianic, healing religion founded in 1881 in the Pacific Northwest. A mix of Catholicism, Protestantism, and native ritual, its followers suffered years of persecution before being allowed to practice their beliefs openly. Tulalip’s Shaker Church was built in 1924 and over the years members have fed and clothed the poor and kept its services open to all. Placed on the National Register in the 1970s, the original church structure survived until 2008 when members decided it was too deteriorated to use.

The Tulalip Tribes consider this church part of their heritage and, in that spirit, gave money to construct a new church and banquet hall designed in the original style. Church members burned the old building in a ceremony and saved its ashes. Four hundred people -- many were Indians Shakers from all over the region -- attended the church opening on a rainy day on November 7, 2008.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8852

Just a few responses to posts:

The Tulalip Nation is, basically, Christian. St. Anne's Catholic Church is a source of pride. Their afterlife ideas are the same as Christian beliefs.

Nate says he forgives. Many, if not all, posters here are non-NA. This might be why forgiveness is more difficult to understand.

Thanks for the inside info! That's my understanding too. And yeah, kind of weird that they took Nate by ground - the distance is what, about 25 miles on I-5? I guess it was early enough that traffic was light.

It wasn’t until 2:45 p.m. — more than four hours after the shooting — that a wounded boy flown by Airlift Northwest landed at Harborview. A second boy was taken to the Seattle hospital by ground ambulance.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024888408_rescuechoppermarysvillexml.html

Hmmm. . .according to that article I might have it backwards. I do know I watched one boy coming off the helicopter on the helipad.

Also, there is no "good traffic" anywhere in the tri county area in Puget Sound. Some times may be worse than others, but there are no guarantees. It can take over 2 hours just to get from Shoreline to downtown. The bridges and narrowing of lanes on I-5 through downtown Seattle really make it unpredictable.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

images

images
images
Washington+School+Sho_Cata+copy.jpg

They showed the vigil and people at the church that night so I am operating under the notion that this is fine I thought it was a compelling picture -

washington-school-sho_stee2.jpg

Never saw this pic
images

0.jpg

063_457801952-768x500.jpg

Goggle Images

Yes he sent texts to his victims to meet for lunch.. I miss the point of why this is so shocking
He planned the shooting- sending a text to arrange a meeting isn't proof of premeditation- having a .40-caliber Beretta, at school was all the proof we needed.
It doesn't matter if he started shooting after argument or not, the fact is he had the gun he obviously had a plan.

O/T but ...

and the hits just keep coming

Kind of creepy White House computer network hacked temporary outages experienced in the executive office of the president, There were significant delays on Friday with the White House’s distribution of “pool reports” by journalists who cover the president’s movements

Police chief of Ferguson, Missouri, the town where Michael Brown was shot by Officer Darren Wilson, expected to step down, officials say.

NASA: Rocket explodes; damage is 'significant'

CNN

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/28/white-house-computer-network-hacked-temporary-loss/

Im not sure how it works here for natives for medical care. In Alaska the natives have their own hospital and don't have to pay. My step father is Alaskan native and years ago he had to be medivaced to Anchorage from Sewerd for a ruputured hernia at no cost to him.

The day this happened I watched one of the helicopters fly right over me at 1pm in Edmonds,wa which is 20 miles to the south of marysville. I thought at the time they were taking one of the kids to harborview but now I think it was empty at that time heading back.

Personally I would want my child taken to harborview if they suffered any sort of tramatic accident even though we have a hospital 2 miles from me. The hospital close to me I have had surgery at and is a excellent hospital but I would want the most experienced at trauma.

Imo

my husband (House Supervisor) THAT is funny!!!

How did you make your kitty jam to the " Purina Paw Parade" by The Felines??

Lol, well yes he is that too! But that is his title at work, he oversees the running of a hospital.

My kitty came from the avatars offered by websleuths, just go thru the ones they offer under changing your avatar.

Im not sure how it works here for natives for medical care. In Alaska the natives have their own hospital and don't have to pay. My step father is Alaskan native and years ago he had to be medivaced to Anchorage from Sewerd for a ruputured hernia at no cost to him.

The day this happened I watched one of the helicopters fly right over me at 1pm in Edmonds,wa which is 20 miles to the south of marysville. I thought at the time they were taking one of the kids to harborview but now I think it was empty at that time heading back.

Personally I would want my child taken to harborview if they suffered any sort of tramatic accident even though we have a hospital 2 miles from me. The hospital close to me I have had surgery at and is a excellent hospital but I would want the most experienced at trauma.

Imo

A little more information has been released - the Seattle Times article added the helicopter response timeline. It seems there was some confusion after the shooting (understandably) and possibly everyone was expecting more victims.

As for the forgiveness part of your post [Shawnee, Choctaw, Welsh here]... In Native culture, it is a letting go so that anger doesn't eat at you and it also is not holding the deceased's spirit back but rather continuing on its journey. The connection to that person continues and anger is futile after a death.

Tulalip’s Shaker Church

Tulalips also had an Indian Shaker church. Unrelated to the better-known Protestant sect of the same name, this was a messianic, healing religion founded in 1881 in the Pacific Northwest. A mix of Catholicism, Protestantism, and native ritual, its followers suffered years of persecution before being allowed to practice their beliefs openly. Tulalip’s Shaker Church was built in 1924 and over the years members have fed and clothed the poor and kept its services open to all. Placed on the National Register in the 1970s, the original church structure survived until 2008 when members decided it was too deteriorated to use.

The Tulalip Tribes consider this church part of their heritage and, in that spirit, gave money to construct a new church and banquet hall designed in the original style. Church members burned the old building in a ceremony and saved its ashes. Four hundred people -- many were Indians Shakers from all over the region -- attended the church opening on a rainy day on November 7, 2008.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8852

Thank you for this. It explains a lot about the community's response to this tragedy.

Yes he sent texts to his victims to meet for lunch.. I miss the point of why this is so shocking
He planned the shooting- sending a text to arrange a meeting isn't proof of premeditation- having a .40-caliber Beretta, at school was all the proof we needed.
It doesn't matter if he started shooting after argument or not, the fact is he had the gun he obviously had a plan.

I don't know how much information will be shared with the public, but I have some scene reconstruction questions.
1. JF supposedly asked his friends/relatives to have lunch together. Did he wait in the shadows until he saw all of them seated?
2. There were reports that he came from behind them. The table was round, however. How's that?
3. Who was shot first? I'm guessing Zoe because she was immediately killed, maybe then Andrew, then the girls. Nate was probably last because he had a chance to turn, avoiding a full head injury.
4. How long in advance did he consider this? Seems he actually had a plan, including tweets to his parents and ex-gf. This doesn't seem spur of the moment.
5. It seems the media has backed off on the teacher/hero idea, the cafeteria worker has again entered the scene, and the suicide theory has been accepted. What's the real story about intervention?

there was a shootout at a court house several days ago, did not get coverage cause of this

Per Cnn

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
risazrubin