WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to clarify this previously-post thought of mine:

I typed:

I also interpret it as MM exhonerating LB, by timeline and opportunity, and indicating she [MM] knows who "did it". I suppose it was something improper? MM indicates she addressed the issue in some way and did not involve LE. But I wonder, what might MM's 'dirty laundry' entail ... and why should her statements about the Facebook item involve LB, even though MM indicates LB is not involved?

re: "MM exhonerating LB" ... this is reference to a posting on MM's Facebook page, that MM is indicating LB is not the person who typed it and is not involved with why it was posted.

Again, does anyone know what the post is about, is there a screen-cap?

MarieG - Yes we are still searching for Lindsey Baum. As for researching an area it is not odd at all - it may appear that way if you are not familiar with the way that it works but I assure you it is not. Also, we could ask media to leave but we would not - there is one thing that you learn fast - the media can be your best friend in situations like this because it is what helps to ensure that people don't forget her face, her story or the fact that she is out there somewhere waiting to come home.

Hopefully this helps with your questions!

I guess if you can't search, it makes sense. I think media should be mandated from the beginning. I just wonder if the media is blind sometimes. It all reminds me of John Nash's Game theory. Anyways, if I think of it, I find it quite sad the things people have to go through to get the attention of a missing child in the Media. Does the media know that the times in which they are present on search days, that they take away from the physical search of Lindsey Baum? Is this the only time that media seems to come along? That would be another question. Do they show up at every search, or are they random?

Is anyone aware if LE at the state or federal level have a team investigating this case? The reason I ask is that on several boards it seems quite evident that some who were interviewed during the beginning of this crime have and continue to give conflicting stories about or connected to the crime.

Wouldn't that be a big ol' red flag that could have hindered this investigation? Maybe if a new set of eyes could take over this case they could discover clues missed previously.

Novice Seeker

Novice Seeker.. good points.

You know as much as the rest of us on who is running this investigation. It was stated in the media (Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Media Links ONLY - no discussion) that Polly Davin a Grays Harbor Detective along with two other detectives (and the article says something about the FBI still being involved) were working on Lindseys case. But we know that the LE have withheld info before (bathing suit comes to mind) so who knows for a fact who is doing what.

Your guess is as good as mine. But I agree.. having some fresh eyes on this investigation might just help. :)

Does anyone know if 351 S. Birch is near LB's house?
EDIT( I went to Google Maps, it is 0.1 miles, just around the corner basically.)
It is listed as a business (Sporttech at cardalbums.com and nwcardsupplies.com.), and has an odd connection to MM. Maybe the Dollar Store LB assisted at buys wholesale from them?
If there is something odd there, maybe Mark Reed Hospital at 322 S. Birch has cameras?
The Grays Harbor and Thurston assessors sites show a connection of MM, two McCleary city employees, and a McCleary School District official.
I can give specifics, but fear being deleted for my trying to make a useful connection to the case using real names.

Novice Seeker.. good points.

You know as much as the rest of us on who is running this investigation. It was stated in the media (Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Media Links ONLY - no discussion) that Polly Davin a Grays Harbor Detective along with two other detectives (and the article says something about the FBI still being involved) were working on Lindseys case. But we know that the LE have withheld info before (bathing suit comes to mind) so who knows for a fact who is doing what.

Your guess is as good as mine. But I agree.. having some fresh eyes on this investigation might just help. :)

Does LE or the detective come around during the searches to offer any suggestions or do they even speak to anyone? This particular case IMO or :twocents: doesn't seem to be handling this case appropriately compared to all the other similiar cases sadly we've been watching. IIRC a grandmother in another case who felt the local LE only wanted to go after her daughter instead of looking for the child and she called the FBI directly. Wonder if it's time that MB start contacting them now.

Novice Seeker

Novice Seeker, I don't know the answers to your questions. Sorry.

I guess if you can't search, it makes sense. I think media should be mandated from the beginning. I just wonder if the media is blind sometimes. It all reminds me of John Nash's Game theory. Anyways, if I think of it, I find it quite sad the things people have to go through to get the attention of a missing child in the Media. Does the media know that the times in which they are present on search days, that they take away from the physical search of Lindsey Baum? Is this the only time that media seems to come along? That would be another question. Do they show up at every search, or are they random?

What you need to remember about the media is, It's not about the news, news itself brings in NO revenue. It's all about circulation and advertising...that's what brings in the bucks.

What you need to remember about the media is, It's not about the news, news itself brings in NO revenue. It's all about circulation and advertising...that's what brings in the bucks.

Dog Driver, I do understand that it is ones way to make a living, (whatever they can get as far as info and pictures etc)..even at the cost of taking up the time that a search team is searching for a missing child. I understand, thank you for placing emphasis on that part of it.

Also through reading recent posts about this case, it doesn't seem that the community really is being supportive of the finding of this little girl. It seems there are very few who are dedicated and they are begging for help. I am not informative about this kind of information in searches for missing children. So does this happen alot?

I know this is off of the current topic, but I wanted to mention that I saw the recent issue of People magazine with Lindsey (and Amber) and others on the cover. It breaks my heart but at the same time, I am SO grateful that such a publication is getting the word out there. It is unfortunate that current events are bringing missing and abused children into the public's interest, but if horrible events happen, I want people to know and CARE. You can't care about something if you don't even hear about it in the first place. Lindsey's guestbook is filling up with people commenting from People magazine. Let's hope that renewed awareness and action can help bring these children home.

I want to clarify this previously-post thought of mine:

I typed:

re: "MM exhonerating LB" ... this is reference to a posting on MM's Facebook page, that MM is indicating LB is not the person who typed it and is not involved with why it was posted.

Again, does anyone know what the post is about, is there a screen-cap?

Red by me -

I believe in the post MM was referring to something that was done on her own facebook (MM's) much prior to Lindsey going missing and it had nothing to do with Lindsey. I think she was trying to say someone messed with her facebook and she is one to take her problems into her own hands.

This is all if I recall the posts correctly, which if it's from where i think it is, the forum has a lot of "half conversations" because many posts have been deleted or were never available to the public eye. IMO people should use caution when using info from posts there because your only getting half the convo - as proven by the confusion here. :crazy:

Hi Marie, I don't think the media has been blind in Lindsey's case.

I was told by a poster here that LE has used the media as a tool in advancing the investigation in Lindsey's case. I do believe that is true thinking of comments made by them to the press in the past.

I think the reason we feel media has been not as interested in this case as we usually see, is twofold:

* The geography of the case. McCleary is a relatively small hamlet that lies on a hwy between 2 major Wa cities. Those two cities, Aberdeen/Hoqium and Olympia are somewhat sleepy towns in themselves.

Aberdeen services a large population that also covers a wide rural area and it is mainly about logging. Olympia is the seat of the government in Wa and is mainly about that. Neither are known tourist getaways {except as a portal to the southern coast}, have a limited business base and neither are well known for their cultural stimulation IMO. They are both delightful cities in their own right but still somewhat sleepy from what I have known them to be. Seattle up to the north or Portland to the south are very different, and had Lindsey gone missing from their greater areas, I would imagine her case would have received much more attention.

* We have a now 4 month old case where LE is giving up almost nothing and it has had only 2 national exposure points, Opra and People Mag.. No news is not news. We often see cases that hit a dead zone around this time.

That means those who care about Lindsey and the finding of her will have to ltake the lead in keeping her out in front of the public eye. I haven't given up on LE working the case behind the scenes, brainstorming, weighing evidence to see what might spark new info. I believe the coordinated forces that are lying in the wings will be ready to jump when that piece of info comes forth. And the call Vamonos will be heard loud and clear. xox

Red by me -

I believe in the post MM was referring to something that was done on her own facebook (MM's) much prior to Lindsey going missing and it had nothing to do with Lindsey. I think she was trying to say someone messed with her facebook and she is one to take her problems into her own hands.

This is all if I recall the posts correctly, which if it's from where i think it is, the forum has a lot of "half conversations" because many posts have been deleted or were never available to the public eye. IMO people should use caution when using info from posts there because your only getting half the convo - as proven by the confusion here. :crazy:

Thank you, boondock!

I read about the 'MM's facebook' incident in this forum. If that information was sourced from another board, then so be it. But it certainly is not something I would ignore simply because of that and / or that it might be incomplete. Even if the incident occurred "much prior" to when LB went missing, it still could be significant, given that it seems MM played a significant role in LB's life, i.e.: cell phone plan. Hence, that's why I asked for further clarification ... :dance:

Hi Marie, I don't think the media has been blind in Lindsey's case.

I was told by a poster here that LE has used the media as a tool in advancing the investigation in Lindsey's case. I do believe that is true thinking of comments made by them to the press in the past.

I think the reason we feel media has been not as interested in this case as we usually see, is twofold:

* The geography of the case. McCleary is a relatively small hamlet that lies on a hwy between 2 major Wa cities. Those two cities, Aberdeen/Hoqium and Olympia are somewhat sleepy towns in themselves.

Aberdeen services a large population that also covers a wide rural area and it is mainly about logging. Olympia is the seat of the government in Wa and is mainly about that. Neither are known tourist getaways {except as a portal to the southern coast}, have a limited business base and neither are well known for their cultural stimulation IMO. They are both delightful cities in their own right but still somewhat sleepy from what I have known them to be. Seattle up to the north or Portland to the south are very different, and had Lindsey gone missing from their greater areas, I would imagine her case would have received much more attention.

* We have a now 4 month old case where LE is giving up almost nothing and it has had only 2 national exposure points, Opra and People Mag.. No news is not news. We often see cases that hit a dead zone around this time.

That means those who care about Lindsey and the finding of her will have to ltake the lead in keeping her out in front of the public eye. I haven't given up on LE working the case behind the scenes, brainstorming, weighing evidence to see what might spark new info. I believe the coordinated forces that are lying in the wings will be ready to jump when that piece of info comes forth. And the call Vamonos will be heard loud and clear. xox

I think that is great of the LE and etc...and I am in total understanding of the need for the media. However, let me place some emphasis on what I am really trying to understand:

The media being there when searches are going on. If I remember correctly while sifting through trying to read and understand all that has happened with Lindsey Baum, past and present, I see the searches have become desperate in the need for volunteers. Also taking notice of the searches, usually on the weekends, two days at a time. So with limited searches happening, and limited searcher's, it seems that anytime a physical search is in progress, that time is precious, priceless. If the media is around, and a search is being done in a place that has already been searched, can we think of it as if that could have been the day that Lindsey could have been found?

I know I am being stern in my thought of this, but I am diverse, I can also see the other side.

~M~

This just hit me, perhaps I'm behind on this info but....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=7966924&page=2

Scott said that there were a few businesses located just off the street Lindsey would have used to get home, and while the little girl did not appear in any of the videos, police have received clues about who was in the area at the time she disappeared.

Scott said witnesses were able to put Lindsey within a couple of blocks of her house just after 9:30 p.m. The last person reported to have seen her, he said, was a neighbor on her way to work.

Does that mean the officer confirmed LB was sighted at either Main St or 3rd St, which are "within a couple of blocks of her [LB's] house"?

We know there was a '2nd witness' but that does not mean the 2nd witness saw LB after the 1st witness. The 2nd witness simply was the second person to come forward after the 1st.

I no longer have the (Daily World) link about the 2nd witness's reporting placing LB between 6th and 5th but I think most of us here are aware this is fact.

Might we have LB disappearing on or after Main St? She was closer to her house than I had thought.

Also .. the following was referenced in a post from a few pages back (I do not recall by whom, sorry original poster!:innocent:)

http://www.theolympian.com/112/story/1036133.html?storylink=omni_popular

The man was described as 5 feet, 9 inches and 20 to 25 years old, with a thin build and reddish-brown hair. His vehicle was described as a silver, newer-model Mazda sedan with a yellow “Titus Will” advertisement visible. The homeowner said the man drove south, toward downtown Olympia.

I wonder how may other similar incidents in NW US involve a "silver Mazda sedan"?

superstore_img.jpg

• Do you suppose LE already has contacted TW and inquired on new and / or used car purchases of the last two years?
  • Auto parts purchases?
  • Recent servicing?
I'd bet on it.:woohoo:

Let's not forget:
  • DG quoted as being cautious of a "silver" car in the Beehive parking lot, when he claimed the occupants were out to steal parts from his car.
  • DG followed MB while she was driving her "silver" car.
Also, the 'trespass suspect' from the Olympian story might have:
  • Borrowed a "silver Mazda sedan" from his parking garage job
  • Borrowed off the TW lot during his car salesman / other job
  • Borrowed it from a friend while his own car is in the shop
  • Stolen it
We know there are traffic cams in the Olympia area ... hmmmm.

I think that is great of the LE and etc...and I am in total understanding of the need for the media. However, let me place some emphasis on what I am really trying to understand:

The media being there when searches are going on. If I remember correctly while sifting through trying to read and understand all that has happened with Lindsey Baum, past and present, I see the searches have become desperate in the need for volunteers. Also taking notice of the searches, usually on the weekends, two days at a time. So with limited searches happening, and limited searcher's, it seems that anytime a physical search is in progress, that time is precious, priceless. If the media is around, and a search is being done in a place that has already been searched, can we think of it as if that could have been the day that Lindsey could have been found?

I know I am being stern in my thought of this, but I am diverse, I can also see the other side.

~M~

I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely. There is never an area that needs to be looked at that goes unsearched even if it means just the core team stays late to do it themselves and there is never an area that can't or shouldn't be looked at again. IMO ~ But I do see what you were getting at. Hopefully, this makes sense - if not please let me know. As a core member I will try to answer if I can as do the other core members that participate here.

I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely. There is never an area that needs to be looked at that goes unsearched even if it means just the core team stays late to do it themselves and there is never an area that can't or shouldn't be looked at again. IMO ~ But I do see what you were getting at. Hopefully, this makes sense - if not please let me know. As a core member I will try to answer if I can as do the other core members that participate here.

Have the searches taken you any significant distance to Olympia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr