WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree the crime is sophisticated in terms of leaving little evidence ---I have little trust that someone like JF is any more sophisticated than a well organized gang like MS-13 who has adult members and youth with lots of experience in killing and watching what LE does with evidence in other cases. Based on my reading of cases that get solved years later---it seems like no one can get away with much these days due to the technology etc. So therefore, I am still keeping a couple of hypotheses going----including multiple people and a well-organized gang.

I agree, and believe that we should all keep an open mind. None of us really know's who did this, and I think that most of us dont want to think the worst about someone who could be THAT close to MC as the killer. IMO If it is, I think that it will be over whelmingly sad for quite a few people. again IMO

What jurisdiction is in charge of this investigation? Douglas County because the body was at CB and also lived in Douglas County or Chelan County because the victim was last seen in Chelan County?

Dogdad, what kind of info can be gained from the tower and voice channels?

First the tower location. From that tower it can be determined which face or direction the signal is arriving. Voice channel was incorrect (sorry about that) Power level is the best tell. Cell phones have the ability to broadcast at different power levels based on how close they are to the nearest site. Have you ever noticed how much faster your battery dies when you are in a rural area? You are broadcasting at the full power level. When you have full bars you are more likely to be at a minimum power level. The power level and tower face give you a rough idea of phone location.

Having said that... a registration/ping is not that reliable as a locator in a city. The towers are relatively close together and add in environmental factors such as a valley and water and the "ping" is very vague for locating. That is why I said an actual voice transmission is more accurate. The initial signal may be site 309 power level .5 but by the end of the call it may have settled in on site 304 power level .2 even if the phone hadnt moved. See why its considered circumstantial? Now if GPS is enabled???? way more accurate.

What jurisdiction is in charge of this investigation? Douglas County because the body was at CB and also lived in Douglas County or Chelan County because the victim was last seen in Chelan County?

There is no lead investigative agency- it is involving 3 counties, the feds, and ICE.

It will be interesting to see who handles the prosecution.

I would think Douglas Co because that is where the body was found, but with Harum as the spokesperson, it appears Chelan. MOO

I think the ultimate jurisdiction would be Douglas because the body was found there... but Chelan and Wenatchee all have interest in the case - obviously. Once caught, I bet the case will be held in Douglas County...

Who is in charge of the investigation? I read Douglas County was leading the task force... but likely working under a unified command structure. JMH

So, without complete records of all the pings, the calls can indicate the location of towers used during calls? And, this information would possibly be more accurate than the pings? Well, what if the possible POI's phone was silent and no calls were made or received ? Then, the pings are needed to pinpoint location.

I hope the needed information can be retrieved from the carrier's deleted trash bin, (or what ever it is called).

Not likely... Carriers are not required to keep that data and it would cost $$ to do so. My line to explain it used to be "If its not billable its trash". Again the phone companies were not designed as an LE tool. The E-911 enhancement (GPS) was mandated and cost the wireless companies many many dollars to implement. Thats all they have done for Law Enforcement

There is no lead investigative agency- it is involving 3 counties, the feds, and ICE.

It will be interesting to see who handles the prosecution.

COWELL HOMICIDE TASK FORCE
Chief Criminal Deputy Robbin Wagg Task Force Commander
Captain Doug Jones Public Information Officer

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...-release?cid=exrss-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner

*** PRESS RELEASE ****

On Tuesday, February 9th, Mackenzie Cowell was reported missing. Her car was located in the Pitcher Canyon area of Chelan County. An extensive search and investigation into her disappearance took place and continued until Friday, February 13th, when her body was discovered on the banks of the Columbia River in the Crescent Bar area in Douglas County. Her death was determined to be a homicide. The investigation transitioned from a missing person investigation to a homicide investigation.

On Tuesday, February 16th, Chiefs and Sheriffs from the Wenatchee and East Police Departments, and Chelan and Douglas County Sheriff’s Offices officially created the Cowell Homicide Task Force. Chief Criminal Deputy Robbin Wagg from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office was named the commander of the task force, and Captain Doug Jones from the Wenatchee Police Department was named the public information officer for the task force. Investigative supervisors and detectives from all of the local law enforcement jurisdictions were assigned to the task force, as well as investigators from the local FBI office. Each agency committed to keeping the task force staffed for the duration of the investigation.

The task force has received and investigated over 200 tips to date. Over 670 people have been interviewed, a number of searches have taken place, and items have been sent to the State Crime Lab and other forensic labs for examination. There are 10 to 15 investigators working on the task force on a regular basis. These investigators are working tirelessly to find the person or persons responsible for the murder of Mackenzie Cowell. Any and all resources are being used to investigate this case. While no arrests have been made to date, investigators are very optimistic that this investigation will result in an arrest and conviction.

The supervisors and detectives assigned to the Cowell Homicide Task Force are some of the finest investigators in the area. As the task force commander, I am proud to be associated with men and women who daily show their professionalism, dedication, team work, and commitment to finding the killer of Mackenzie Cowell. We will not disclose specific investigative information or methods used to investigate this case but any and all legal means available are being used to find Mackenzie’s killer.

Michael R. Wagg
Chief Criminal Deputy
Cowell Homicide Task Force Commander

Hopefully the prosecution will be in Chelan County. The PA in Douglas would accept a plea of manslaughter. His history is that he prosecutes cases he can't win and accepts pleas in cases he could win.

I love how this thread wakes up whenever Del posts his great photos, and LE feeds us a morsel.

Imagine what the great minds here could do if given more info.

First the tower location. From that tower it can be determined which face or direction the signal is arriving. Voice channel was incorrect (sorry about that) Power level is the best tell. Cell phones have the ability to broadcast at different power levels based on how close they are to the nearest site. Have you ever noticed how much faster your battery dies when you are in a rural area? You are broadcasting at the full power level. When you have full bars you are more likely to be at a minimum power level. The power level and tower face give you a rough idea of phone location.

Having said that... a registration/ping is not that reliable as a locator in a city. The towers are relatively close together and add in environmental factors such as a valley and water and the "ping" is very vague for locating. That is why I said an actual voice transmission is more accurate. The initial signal may be site 309 power level .5 but by the end of the call it may have settled in on site 304 power level .2 even if the phone hadnt moved. See why its considered circumstantial? Now if GPS is enabled???? way more accurate.

someone on here a few weeks ago posted an article about phone location and 911 only and how to find you better in the event of an emergency. GPS, I looked on my phone as sure enough it was on 911 only so I changed it to location on, and my daughters. Who posted that article?? and should we all do that in our phones?

I think the ultimate jurisdiction would be Douglas because the body was found there... but Chelan and Wenatchee all have interest in the case - obviously. Once caught, I bet the case will be held in Douglas County...

Who is in charge of the investigation? I read Douglas County was leading the task force... but likely working under a unified command structure. JMH

I believe I read Robin Wagg was in charge of the investigation and he is from the Douglas County Sherrifs office. I actually know the man and he is a very good investigator. No, I have not talked to him about this case nor do I intend to, thanks for not asking :innocent:

I believe I read Robin Wagg was in charge of the investigation and he is from the Douglas County Sherrifs office. I actually know the man and he is a very good investigator. No, I have not talked to him about this case nor do I intend to, thanks for not asking :innocent:

Wagg is a very good investigator, leader, and is very dedicated to his work. When I read that Wagg was the Task Force Commander, my confidence in this investigation shot way up. He is not known to cut corners or give up easily. Include the team he has on the task force, I am certain they will find the killer...

"Do investigators look at these sites?"

"Yes, says Mike Harum, Chelan County sheriff. He wasn’t familiar with Websleuths but said investigators “read every one of them” posted about Cowell on The Wenatchee World’s site."

Well....could M.H. really be familiar with WS and just not want to acknowledge it? WS has endless pages of postings with information; more than WW. Not only do we have quantity, we have quality.:)

I would think Douglas Co because that is where the body was found, but with Harum as the spokesperson, it appears Chelan. MOO

Harum wants to be the spokesperson (elected official remember) but Jones (WPD) is the Publiv Info Officer.. unless that has changed...?

2 different things---

a. Is "adult" in the capital crime sense---age 18 or 21 in Washington?

b. I haven't found where you can post on WW anymore---while there are articles about reward funds and related comments----there is no ongoing conversation there anymore is there??

2 different things---

a. Is "adult" in the capital crime sense---age 18 or 21 in Washington?

b. I haven't found where you can post on WW anymore---while there are articles about reward funds and related comments----there is no ongoing conversation there anymore is there??

JMO but the WW is not a reliable news source... I'm not sure why we still get it other than it will light a wodstove.

grey was your request for call records or site data? All call records are kept for a much longer time. They may be archived but are still retrievable. Site data is not kept for long because it has no value, it simply eats space. The carrier I worked for did not archive site data

Dogdad..Are you talking 'pings' here? If so, FLorida LE/FBI got their hands on so many 'pings' they have a pretty good idea where Casey Anthony was 24/7 at least "31 days" prior (& more if it took another week or two for them to request them) so is this uncommon? IOW! Did they catch a break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiodial