WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen her car frequently. Not sure how long the windshield was cracked, or how long her wiper has been like that. I recall seeing it "stuck up" when she was brushing snow off of it this winter. It was one of those silly little things that when you saw it you thought~THAT CAR is Mackenzie's!

The phrases: "she was brushing snow off of it this winter" and "THAT CAR is Mackenzie's!" ....

.... take me more steps further into sadness.

LE had better catch this b@st#rd.

If you have Verizon and send a text to someone who also has Verizon, it will tell you if the text went through. If you view the sent message, it will tell you the time that the text was recieved on the other end. I have the exact same phone as Mackenzie did, its even the same model.

I check this sometimes when I text a friend and they don't text back within a reasonable time frame. So that is probably why he checked it.

In addition, if the recievers phone is off, viewing the sent message shows that the text was not recieved. The display on the senders phone lists the time the text was recieved, and when the recievers phone is off, there is no "time stamp" listed. Once the recievers phone is turned back on, the time displays on the senders phone and shows the time that the receiver got the text, which would be the time that the receivers phone was turned back on.

All of this makes me wonder if LE could know stuff based on the records off of JV's phone about MC and her phone being on or off etc.

And to add that MC was purported to be near/at the Riverfront Park boat ramp at around 3:40 PM, and the time frame gets even more filled in.

Sorry, can someone please tell me which was "confirmed"-

That MC was at the boat launch at 3:40
or
That her PHONE was at the boat launch at 3:40??

good point! her phone pinging or being on does not mean MC had it in her possession.

Ok, just some thoughts... SPECULATION

ICE involvement: while I believe they are likely just being used for the expertise in computers, evidence gathering and an extra resource to do with surveillance, (all the cool federally funded spy gadgets), they could be involved because it has been RUMORED that JF wasn't too choosy about his employees, (trying to save money and such). Could he have either recently or in the past have hired an illegal immigrant that ICE might have helped in questioning? Maybe not a prime suspect, but someone who LE would likely want to at least question?

Cell phone activity: This is interesting information we are learning - especially the idea that the phone was already turned off before the 5:42 final communication with the cell network. Why would the phone be turned back on for that final ping, (or whatever it was?)?

Trying to make sense of this, let's try a couple of scenarios:

Scenario ONE: First let's go with MC being the one that turned her phone back on. This seems to work, (MC attempts call for help), although we need to account for her the entire time the phone was off, (or at least why she wasn't receiving texts and calls were going to voice-mail). Would she have done that by choice? It doesn't sound like she ever turned her phone off. IMO that means someone would have forced her to turn phone off, (or asked her convincingly), and when she decided things were turning bad she attempted to turn it on and make a call for help? Plausibility is still sort of low on this one, IMO. If she's not the type to turn her cell phone off, maybe she left or was taken outside cell service area and that explains reason for messages not going through, (in this case, the phone wouldn't be "turned back on" it would just re-enter cell service area at 5:42 pm - which takes us to our next scenario).

Scenario TWO: Suspect(s) are in control of phone. I would imagine, after the crime is committed the first thing a suspect would do to a cell phone would be to remove the battery -- someone said they had this exact same phone, to that person I would like to know what does removing the battery from MC's phone require? Is it simple for someone unfamiliar with the phone? If the phone is slide open, (or flipped or whatever), does it turn itself back on automatically? Is that position required to remove battery?

Other than removing the battery, a suspect may think of stomping on it or attempting to crush it in some way. What if stomping on it turned it on for a split second, just long enough to register on the cell network? Sounds iffy to me and IMO causes me to lean towards the idea that the phone, (and maybe MC?) were taken outside of service coverage area, (possibly MC going willingly - but likely not). Then, when the suspect drove back into the service area all those text messages and voice mails would have caused the phone to immediately buzz, alerting the suspect, who would then immediately removed the battery/destroy the phone. Maybe he even had to dig it out of a pocket as the body was being transferred from unknown location to CB location?

The car wash (RUMOR): The person who noticed the water streaks on the rear of MC's car coming from under the rear spoiler - good job. This does lend some to the car wash rumor, IMO. Maybe it only poured out because of the steep incline the vehicle was put in to flatbed or tow it? Do you also have a guess as to how long water tends to stay trapped under those rear spoilers? Could it be days?

Also, if she did have a passenger, maybe that passenger offered to pay for the car wash, and that is the only reason she did it? She may not have been stressed out/under duress while at the car wash as much as confused because it was something unfamiliar for her to do. Sort of like pumping gas at a different station than the one you always go to - easy to get confused, i.e. "Do I select wash type before or after inserting coins? Oh, there's an attendant, I'll let him do it?"

I was just reading a Seattle Weekly blog about MC dated March 12th and one of the comments to the article dated March 31st said, "It was the boyfriend's best friend, what a pig, what a disgusting no good pig". Do we know who JV's best friend is?

Interesting, considering that the comment is one of only two comments posted so far on an article dated March 12th. Seems kind of random to me. Why not post the info about the boyfriend's best friend in the WW comments section? IDK, just seems odd to me.

snipped
Timeline:
  • morning of 02/09/2010 - unknown - where was / what did MC do?
  • 11:30 am - MC visits the Target with intent to meet JV. MC hangs a bit perusing CDs then decides to leave because JV is still attending to a customer(s).
  • unknown - assumption is MC goes to the Academy of Hair Design.
  • 2:45 pm - JV receives / exchanges text from / with MC. This is before MC leaves the Academy of Hair Design or at least she is still in the immediate vicinity of / in the building.
  • 3:01 pm - video shows MC walking to her car in the parking lot.
  • 3:40 pm - LE reports MC's phone (and probably MC) is 'located' at the boat dock. This is sketchy and *too accurate* a placement if based on phone signaling only. Maybe Gold's Gym? Can JV confirm? Did MC frequent the boat dock?
  • 4:00 pm - MC and a 'passenger' are witnessed at the car wash. Possibly on video. Attendant assists MC with inserting money. JV indicates MC was not a regular visitor to a car wash - or at least was not adamant about washing her car so who knows if she did or did not actually visit the car wash for whatever other reason?
  • 4:15 pm - JV sends a text to MC but it is not received by MC's phone. The phone either is powered off or is outside of cell coverage areas, such as along the route to CB?
  • 5:42 pm - LE reports a last 'ping' of MC's phone. This leads me to conclud the phone was not powered off earlier but was outside of coverage area. I do not expect a perp to power on the phone after having powered it off. LE does not reveal the ping location. Why not? I believe LE can not pinpoint an area and do not want this public.
  • Present Day - LE and Websleuthers pull hair out sleuthing this case. Wig and Toupee manufacturers follow closely behind picking up remnants.

I can tell you that JV told me that MC did not frequent the boat launch, it was not a normal thing for her to do at all.

I can tell you that JV told me that MC did not frequent the boat launch, it was not a normal thing for her to do at all.

Unless there was an eyewitness that saw MC or her car in the area of the boat launch, I am beginning to doubt that she was there based only on cell phone activity. She was known to frequent Gold's Gym which, I understand, is close by. Perhaps the cell phone activity came from there, a place where she would more likely be?

IIRC though, someone posted a long while back that they talked to LE that said they were sure MC was at the boat launch. If so, it would be nice to know why they are so sure. JMHO

Unless there was an eyewitness that saw MC or her car in the area of the boat launch, I am beginning to doubt that she was there based only on cellphone activity. She was known to frequent Gold's Gym which, I understand, is close by. Perhaps the cell phone activity came from there, a place where she would more likely be?

IIRC though, someone posted a long while back that they talked to LE that said they were sure MC was at the boat launch. If so, it would be nice to know why they are so sure. JMHO

That is a great point, especially in light of the recent information we have gotten about cell phone activity.

Also, I had mentioned something to JV about her maybe being especially happy, but he said she was just a happy person in general.

I was just reading a Seattle Weekly blog about MC dated March 12th and one of the comments to the article dated March 31st said, "It was the boyfriend's best friend, what a pig, what a disgusting no good pig". Do we know who JV's best friend is?

There is more than one "boyfriend" floating around... so... do we know who JF best friend is?

OK. MC was videotaped leaving the beauty academy at 3 PM----JV texted her at 2:45.
Wouldn't the typical teen respond immediately? Why didn't she?
Is it possible she was too busy to do so, or is it possible that his text was delayed and that's why it didn't show on her phone until 3:40? (That happens on my Blackberry all of the time with texts and with voicemails where they are delayed for some mysterious reason---sometimes delayed by several hours).

There is more than one "boyfriend" floating around... so... do we know who JF best friend is?

That's actually what my first thought was when I first saw that too! Not MC's boyfriend necessarily. "Bob" wasn't exactly eloquent & specific in his oh so informative post.

That's actually what my first thought was when I first saw that too! Not MC's boyfriend necessarily. "Bob" wasn't exactly eloquent & specific in his oh so informative post.

LOL, nicely put. Maybe "Bob" needed to purge his conscience in a somewhat obscure place. Leave it to WS sleuthers to find the somewhat obscure place!

I've been trying to find the post but am having a hard time. I'll keep looking.

The body language person I am talking about is NOT JV, WC, or RC.

Your post was confusing to me----what does the DNA of the family have to do with someone's body language at the memorial? I found your post intriguing but I didn't understand the links between the paragraphs---could you clarify???

OK. MC was videotaped leaving the beauty academy at 3 PM----JV texted her at 2:45.
Wouldn't the typical teen respond immediately? Why didn't she?
Is it possible she was too busy to do so, or is it possible that his text was delayed and that's why it didn't show on her phone until 3:40? (That happens on my Blackberry all of the time with texts and with voicemails where they are delayed for some mysterious reason---sometimes delayed by several hours).

Sometimes I stick my phone in a pocket or purse, and it gets bumped, and powers off. I have an LG also, and the power button is similar. I will take the phone out to check for a call, and realize it has been off for an hour or so. Then when it is powered on, it receives the missed texts, and shows the time I TURNED on the phone, and it received the text, NOT the time it was sent to me.

Ok, so lets say she may have been seen at car wash at 4:00 and then unable to receive a call at 4:15? Was she alone??.... At her age, I would think she would be receiving and sending texts very often... This is sooo bizarre?? Just thinking.

WHAT IF...........she was in that carwash at 4PM and was seen at the entrance but was attacked during the wash and the perp drove the car on out???? Maybe the perp chose the carwash for that very purpose????

Ok, just some thoughts... SPECULATION

///snippage///

The car wash (RUMOR): The person who noticed the water streaks on the rear of MC's car coming from under the rear spoiler - good job. This does lend some to the car wash rumor, IMO. Maybe it only poured out because of the steep incline the vehicle was put in to flatbed or tow it? Do you also have a guess as to how long water tends to stay trapped under those rear spoilers? Could it be days?

///snippage///

Yes. I've had water seep from under the spoilers up to five days after a wash ... but only during humid environment periods. If it is a low humidity period with outside temperatures warm to hot, the accumulated water evaporates more quickly ... most times by the next day there is very little seepage.

Yes. I've had water seep from under the spoilers up to five days after a wash ... but only during humid environment periods. If it is a low humidity period with outside temperatures warm to hot, the accumulated water evaporates more quickly ... most times by the next day there is very little seepage.

How much were you driving at highway speeds? I would imagine that would make a big difference... such as driving back and forth to Orondo daily. Would think there wouldn't be much water left after 30 minutes at 60 mph hour? Any thought on that?

ETA: If water got under spoiler at around the RUMORED 4 pm car wash, and water was still under the spoiler when it was left up PC, (YET highway speeds flush the water out from under the spoiler???), we might be able to ASSUME that the car was not driven at highway speeds after the car wash. Therefore, it would not have been driven back and forth to CB.

Again ETA: Nevermind this part... sounds like water would stay under rear spoiler at highway speeds. Stop and go traffic, with rapid acceleration, (or actually opening the trunk), is more likely to remove water from under the rear spoiler.

Hi Melissa, Reading Hotmadre's post, I went back to pp 23, reading:
"If I were the perp, the FIRST thing I would do is seperate myself from the most difficult thing to conceal...the car". Ozz, with the response:

"If I were the perp and needed to dispose of a red car, I would probably wait until at leastdusk to drive it anywhere. Because red cars tend to stand out like a sore thumb!" Liz

What Liz says makes such sense, also knowing the killer or accomplice had to drive that car almost back to Wenatchee before crossing the river to drive it to the place where it was left. I always thought that was odd or pretty risky, if it is the case.

Maybe Ozz is right, and as Hotmadre's post suggests, the car was driven to be ditched after they arrived at CB. I had always thought the opposite, she was killed and the killer then drove the car to a place that was distanced from the body and not far from town so he could walk back to Wenatchee, as LE has suggested.

If not, it could easily mean that the passenger directed her from the car wash to the house at CB. If it were a gang abduction, the first thing they would want to do is get rid of her car. One gang member's contribution. LE must have a reason to believe whoever ditched the car walked back to town, maybe if there were no other tire tracks when there were a set of footprints. That doesn't add up.

It does put a different light on how it could have happened, if she was a captive at the car wash. If the passenger was a girl maybe no one would think it odd. No one would be thinking a female would be her abductor/killer, at least in the early stages of the investigation, right? And maybe a girl wouldn't think it strange to drive this red car on the open road in daylight! IMO IMO

It sure opened my eyes, reading those posts :waitasec:

PS: I have a lot of faith in the Astros. If they said she was being murdered at 4:15, I believe it, which would mean it could have been well planned. As she was being killed, her car was being driven to where it would be ditched. IMO

But IIRC her car wasn't there at PC for sure until 7 PM so they could have driven it up in the dark because it was non-daylight savings time.

How much were you driving at highway speeds? I would imagine that would make a big difference... such as driving back and forth to Orondo daily. Would think there wouldn't be much water left after 30 minutes at 60 mph hour? Any thought on that?

Water seepage occurs mainly during acceleration and when the trunk lid is lifted open and closed.

After the vehicle reaches 'highway speeds' the water settles under the spoiler much like the occupants in the vehicle. We (occupants) don't sway or start when cruising; only during acceleration and deceleration and off-center steering ... same with the water.

Also note that I've rarely seen water seep from the front of the spoiler base during deceleration but have seen it when opening the trunk lid. If there is a large volume of trapped water it will slightly drip into the open trunk because the water 'finds' the mounting bolt holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleBiddle