WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
!. There have been several murders that LE took way too long to solve or never solved at all. I don't have much confidence in them, but this case seems to be a little better handled. Maybe because the FBI was involved.

Is the FBI still involved? That gives me some hope, but are they really still actively involved- does anyone know?

I totally agree that it seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time. For those of you in Wenatchee, do you have confidence in the LE? What about past cases of murders- have they found the killers? This is just the weirdest case- with them not giving any information to the public. I feel like if they had given more information from the beginning, they would have gotten more valid tips. The more time that goes by, the less chance they have of convicting someone, I feel like. Any forensic evidence would surely be gone if not collected by now. Very frustrating!!

I agree, and this is exactly what I said when they just released the info that she was at the boat launch. I am sure there were probably a few people down there, and had they released that info right away, some of them might have remembered seeing her down there. However, we as humans forget things as time goes by. It is detrimental to this case that they have waited so long to announce that. I think they had an idea of that in the first place, because in one of the earlier articles they said that she had made a call around 5:45 but they declined to release where that call was placed.

As time goes by, people forget something that might have been suspicious. The longer they wait, the worst it is, in my opinion.

I would venture to say that yes, the FBI is still involved since we've had no word that they've pulled off the case.

They will most likely be involved throughout the entire case, just less noticeable and less manpower as the local authorities get a handle on it.

I've been reading all the threads on this case for the past couple of weeks. I am not from the area, but found out about what happened to Mackenzie on a Seattle-based news website. I have been checking in daily hoping to hear that her case has been solved, and am saddened each day when I see there isn't any change. Is there anyway to get Mackenzie's case publicized nationally? It seems if more attention were brought to it, maybe it could bring in more tips, or more people to help (such as private investigator, etc.). I just hope and pray justice is found soon for her, as no one deserves to lose their life so tragically.

Does anyone have any more info on the alleged evidence found at the Sunnyslope spec home?? Or know why or how investigators were lead to this house?

Does anyone have any more info on the alleged evidence found at the Sunnyslope spec home?? Or know why or how investigators were lead to this house?

Glad you asked this hopeful. I had been thinking the same thing. The correlation between the Sunnyslope spec home, the vacant home where her body was discovered and the sheer coincidence (not) of the Cowell real estate/construction connection is eerie, to say the least. Was there not info yesterday that there was an open house at the spec home and shortly thereafter LE came by and collected evidence? Had the house been frequented prior to the open house? Maybe the realtors hosting the open house noticed something?

sorry for answering your question with another question!!

I do not know exactly. I can only speculate.

But my two thoughts are;

1) MC and /or perp were there at some point before or after muder. Someone had mentioned (posted) blood spots, but that maybe just rumor. I do know for sure they were collecting "stuff " from the home, which is not furnished if that tells you anything....

2) It has to do with construction materials of some sort. I.E. carpet samples. If someone is to "hang out" at an empty speck house there could possibly be carpet threads on body, boots/shoes, pants, hair ect. Or maybe BLUNT objects like left over scrap wood or rebar. Or maybe sheetrock knives....

It would make sense that WC and bf probably did work on the speck home...Also, MC would have known that the speck home was sitting there vacant. All anyone needs is garage code. Most builders use same garage codes for all their specks.

I like wise think they do infact have a person of interest and are waiting for more from the crime lab and cell towers.. I think the killer is on very very borrowed time now.

Spec home was searched the day body was found, then the Monday AFTER the Open House. That search included a crime van and several police cars. Our sources tell us that no one including the real estate community knew than they house had been searched or that it was a potential crime scheme. It was searched again two days later and WC was with police that time.

I'm confused about the DNA results. The girl they just found in California...they had DNA results within I believe two days. Isn't that what they are waiting on with MC's case...but they are telling us over a month??? Maybe different kinds of specimens take a different amount of time. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I understand why things take time. But what is frustrating is when the 17 year old went missing last week in CA, they arrested a guy because they found his DNA on her underwear. That took all of a day or two. Why this huge wait? They MUST have some samples back. I'm sure they are finding new evidence is turning up as they locate additional crime scenes, but how can they not have enough to at least hold him until more results come in...

Notice though that they aren't saying which samples. I think it's more than probable that they have obtained warrants rather recently for other locations and/or people and are waiting for those results.

— what town are you from
— Did you have a personal connection to Mackenzie (Did you know her)
— Have you called any tips into the tip line at the RiverCom dispatch center.

Wenatchee, did not know MC, haven't called any tips in cuz I don't know any....if I did...I would be glad to call

Pears,

DNA may take longer to get results for several different reasons.
- If they know who the DNA came from it will likely take less time
- If its a suspects DNA, and they already have it in the system, it would take less time to match.

Many reasons could account for the delay in DNA results. One thing is for sure, DNA doesnt hide the truth.

I totally agree that it seems to be taking a ridiculous amount of time. For those of you in Wenatchee, do you have confidence in the LE? What about past cases of murders- have they found the killers? This is just the weirdest case- with them not giving any information to the public. I feel like if they had given more information from the beginning, they would have gotten more valid tips. The more time that goes by, the less chance they have of convicting someone, I feel like. Any forensic evidence would surely be gone if not collected by now. Very frustrating!!

I am 100 percent confident that this will be resolved. I think the long delay is based on the complex nature of this crime, I believe it is much more complex than the few details we know. I think evidence is being slowly and meticulously compiled because the killer is a low community risk and the prosecution wants a water tight case. As well, it is very possible that there is little forensic evidence and so timelines, alibis, motive and other evidence is going to weigh heavily into the prosecution's case, and all that takes time.

I'm confused about the DNA results. The girl they just found in California...they had DNA results within I believe two days. Isn't that what they are waiting on with MC's case...but they are telling us over a month??? Maybe different kinds of specimens take a different amount of time. Can anyone shed some light on this?

There are a few variables involved. If you have a high quality sample, the time frame is generally quick. Can be 5-7 days. Obviously, when a crime scene is days old, you have to factor in possible contamination. Elements can play a role in the quality of the sample. Rain, lake water, mud, etc. A "fresh" crime scene located and processed quickly without contamination is obviously a quicker turn around. The fact that Mackenzie was out in the elements, samples are more difficult to gather precisely. Assuming the suspects fingerprints are in the registry, this should help too. HOWEVER if it is someone that is with her on a regular basis, these prints are going to be commonplace.
They need to HOPE they have a murder weapon so the prints can be lifted off of that. Plus the fact that she was allegedly not raped, takes away OBVIOUS dna that one would hope would have been available... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg