WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: What if the car ditching wasn't random? MC's body was about as close to the Douglas/Grant county line as you can get. Not to mention Kittitas, which is in the middle of the river. What if our perp was trying to get the car to Douglas/Kittitas/Chelan line? He just got lost! Or couldn't get any farther. Made a wrong turn. Would we then be able to guess that perhaps the 3rd crime scene could be up at the Chelan/Douglas/Okanogan county line? Isn't that up near where MC's Dad's Bear Valley homes are?

Great question, and still hard to answer.... IF both the incoming and out going message were off the same site, the same face, and the same power level then yes. Because its a valley and its near water no. You could pick up 1 of 7 towers in the area.

Like I said, when I testified it was always circumstansial

Thank you, that helps alot.

I have to sign off for the night. But I'm hoping that by the time I get back in the morning, you and Sherlock will have had a somewhat technical discussion about the 'registration' when moving in and out of service areas, especially in the area of Rock Island.

I'll go get a link to his post - so you will know exactly what I'm hoping you will discuss :)

Salem

ETA: here's the link: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, missing 2/9/10, Orondo/Wenatchee #9

I would be interested in your thoughts regarding turning the phone on/off versus just re-entering a service area.

Thanks!

Ozz, I dont know Del Rio and certainly didnt agree with his latest theory.

I dont have any earthbreaking info, I simply dont agree with spreading unconfirmed rumors. I have some bits and pieces but I will not throw them out there untill I have confidence in them.

I totally respect your choice on not stating what you've heard or might think. Just a thought....do you think that throwing some of these bits and pieces might help us ponder some other ideas?

I believe your observation and experience supports the random drop of the car at PC, and why MC was not left there or farther up, as the perp(s) really did not know the area THAT well.

ETA: In addition, they were dumping a car, not her.

Well, it all depends on where they were coming from with MCs car and what the point of dropping the car there was to the suspect. PC draws attention to South Wenatchee area, where most gang activity and some of the worst neighborhoods are. With the body found, the wounds doesn't really look like a gang killing but something personal, IMO. If the suspect never wanted the body found, (highly likely in my opinion), than gang killing might forever seem likely.

Thank you, that helps alot.

I have to sign off for the night. But I'm hoping that by the time I get back in the morning, you and Sherlock will have had a somewhat technical discussion about the 'registration' when moving in and out of service areas, especially in the area of Rock Island.

I'll go get a link to his post - so you will know exactly what I'm hoping you will discuss :)

Salem

now I'm curious...

Dogdad,

I'll try again before you head off for the night:

Ok, three things.

1. If phone was on edge of town, Sunnyslope neighborhood, I would guess less cell towers, but not at isolated as say CB. What's your guess on location distance using ping triangulation in neighborhood at edge of town?

2. As I've heard the last ping, 5:42 pm, one described, it was an on/off ping. Could you explain that a little. Is there some special ping when you turn a cell phone off? As opposed to just driving out of service area?

3. What do you think of the possibility that the last ping was caused when the suspect drove back into cell service and heard MC's phone acknowledge that it was in a service coverage area again, (usually they make some noise, right?) and immediately turned it off?

Thanks for your insight in all this!

I totally respect your choice on not stating what you've heard or might think. Just a thought....do you think that throwing some of these bits and pieces might help us ponder some other ideas?

CCmom, If I thought it would help I would. I've seen how these threads can take off in random directions and I do not want to contribute to that. Rumors drive me crazy. I deal in facts

Also, if the phone was left on between 3:40 pm and 5:42 pm, does that mean LE should have a general location for every ping between that time?

since the LE got information from different phone providers. does that mean there is more than one suspect??? this murder is getting more and more interesting.

I was thinking along these same lines. If MC had verizon than I would guess that either RC or WC or both did also. If WC had verizon than I would guess JF did also (probably on her account). That would mean they are looking for info on someone who does not have verizon since they have those records? Or am I off track here?

Maybe MC followed him up and parked her car and got in his vehicle thinking he was going to bring her back. So, she left her purse in the car. He hit her hard over the head and had her tied up. Took her wherever and killed her and had 3 days to figure out how to get her to the CB property. He could have gone anywhere! Definitely somebody that would know county lines and county roads, etc. Hunter.......line man.........fish and wildlife........IDK. Popular 4 wheel spots? New construction in all those spots?

RUMOR ALERT:

Earlier this evening I ran into a dear old friend I hadn't seen in several years who is also a local.. after we got caught up on our lives our conversation quickly turned to Mackenzie and the information released today in the WW. This person told me they (singular person) had know her COD for awhile and how they are apparently connected to the case. I didn't ask any questions out of respect for this person and the apparent connection to the case. (even though I wanted to really bad) I mentioned WS and all the sleuthing being done here in Mackenzies honor and that I'd been posting also. We exchanged numbers and as we were going our separate ways, this person paused and said "rumor on the streets is this is gang related.." All I could say was "are you kidding?" the response was... "that's the rumor on the streets."

I can't verify if this person is connected to the case but I can tell you this person has never lied to me in the past.

MOOOOOOO

Dogdad,

I'll try again before you head off for the night:

Ok, three things.

1. If phone was on edge of town, Sunnyslope neighborhood, I would guess less cell towers, but not at isolated as say CB. What's your guess on location distance using ping triangulation in neighborhood at edge of town?

2. As I've heard the last ping, 5:42 pm, one described, it was an on/off ping. Could you explain that a little. Is there some special ping when you turn a cell phone off? As opposed to just driving out of service area?

3. What do you think of the possibility that the last ping was caused when the suspect drove back into cell service and heard MC's phone acknowledge that it was in a service coverage area again, (usually they make some noise, right?) and immediately turned it off?

Thanks for your insight in all this!

Ok your challenging me here Alt... edge of town, non gps you are looking at a rather large area.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as an "off ping"

To my knowledge most phones do not have an alert signal when they have coverage.

This is a pretty intense topic that is difficult to answer quickly.

RUMOR ALERT:

Earlier this evening I ran into a dear old friend I hadn't seen in several years who is also a local.. after we got caught up on our lives our conversation quickly turned to Mackenzie and the information released today in the WW. This person told me they (singular person) had know her COD for awhile and how they are apparently connected to the case. I didn't ask any questions out of respect for this person and the apparent connection to the case. (even though I wanted to really bad) I mentioned WS and all the sleuthing being done here in Mackenzies honor and that I'd been posting also. We exchanged numbers and as we were going our separate ways, this person paused and said "rumor on the streets is this is gang related.." All I could say was "are you kidding?" the response was... "that's the rumor on the streets."
MOOOOOOO

I am not questioning you or doubting you or your source, but what could this poor girl POSSIBLY have done to provoke such an attack? I mean seriously, she seemed to be a good kid... maybe she dabbled in drugs (rumor) but many kids do. She had a relationship with some dude many years ago that had some implications on him because of age differences.... I just don't know what she could have done to provoke them, any ideas?

I am not questioning you or doubting you or your source, but what could this poor girl POSSIBLY have done to provoke such an attack? I mean seriously, she seemed to be a good kid... maybe she dabbled in drugs (rumor) but many kids do. She had a relationship with some dude many years ago that had some implications on him because of age differences.... I just don't know what she could have done to provoke them, any ideas?
I can't verify if this person is connected to the case but I can tell you this person has never lied to me in the past.

I'm only sharing what was told..I'm having a hard time believing it too..

Heard a rumor from a great source (finally!)

My prediction.... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

MC didn't get along all the time with her Mom or even her Dad for that matter, but this particular few weeks, she was disagreeing with her Mom so staying with RC more and more.

WC & JF met through construction jobs working for her and for those she knows. Their relationship was new...and JF has a reputation around Wenatche/East Wenatchee, the entire valley, of having several gf's, not being faithful, getting what he can from women, and his 'life' is falling apart with financial problems, etc.

1.) I believe he either came onto MC and she threatened to tell her Mom.
2.) MC had OTHER info on JF, and she threatened to tell her Mom.
3.) MC 'pissed WC' off and JF wanting to be a super hero, tried to talk to MC, and it wasn't going as planned and JF blew a fuse!

I think they met at the boat launch and I believe the stab wound happened at the Sunnyslope Spec House and he had help after that point. I truly believe he didn't think people would report her car being parked up PC, as soon as it was, and the two guys currently in jail, are being held so they will talk. Their DNA was not on HER or around her or even at Spec House or CB, but it was in her car.

I believe he has worked on the spec house and even the CB at one point.

Rumor has it, he is the MAIN POI!!!

We'll see if I am right! Again, this is strictly my opinion.

I was thinking along these same lines. If MC had verizon than I would guess that either RC or WC or both did also. If WC had verizon than I would guess JF did also (probably on her account). That would mean they are looking for info on someone who does not have verizon since they have those records? Or am I off track here?

All carriers would be covered by a 30 day digits dialed search. Trust me it is SOP

Heard a rumor from a great source (finally!)

My prediction.... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

MC didn't get along all the time with her Mom or even her Dad for that matter, but this particular few weeks, she was disagreeing with her Mom so staying with RC more and more.

WC & JF met through construction jobs working for her and for those she knows. Their relationship was new...and JF has a reputation around Wenatche/East Wenatchee, the entire valley, of having several gf's, not being faithful, getting what he can from women, and his 'life' is falling apart with financial problems, etc.

1.) I believe he either came onto MC and she threatened to tell her Mom.
2.) MC had OTHER info on JF, and she threatened to tell her Mom.
3.) MC 'pissed WC' off and JF wanting to be a super hero, tried to talk to MC, and it wasn't going as planned and JF blew a fuse!

I think they met at the boat launch and I believe the stab wound happened at the Sunnyslope Spec House and he had help after that point. I truly believe he didn't think people would report her car being parked up PC, as soon as it was, and the two guys currently in jail, are being held so they will talk. Their DNA was not on HER or around her or even at Spec House or CB, but it was in her car.

I believe he has worked on the spec house and even the CB at one point.

Rumor has it, he is a POI for LE.

We'll see if I am right! Again, this is strictly my opinion.

I agree and can not wait for the announcement

Well, it all depends on where they were coming from with MCs car and what the point of dropping the car there was to the suspect. PC draws attention to South Wenatchee area, where most gang activity and some of the worst neighborhoods are. With the body found, the wounds doesn't really look like a gang killing but something personal, IMO. If the suspect never wanted the body found, (highly likely in my opinion), than gang killing might forever seem likely.

<bolded by Giddyup>

I agree, what we know thus far, this murder is personal. I actually think it is a fuzzy area (what we know at this point) as far as the perp(s) wanting or not wanting her to be found. It seems supported that they did not want her found, because she was allegedly hidden somewhat in brush. Perhaps they were coming back? If they NEVER wanted her found, we would not be reading about a COD today.

I'm not understanding why, as stated above, "if the suspect never wanted the body found, (highly likely in my opinion), than gang killing might forever seem likely." Can you explain further why a body not found means it was a gang killing?

Maybe MC followed him up and parked her car and got in his vehicle thinking he was going to bring her back. So, she left her purse in the car. He hit her hard over the head and had her tied up. Took her wherever and killed her and had 3 days to figure out how to get her to the CB property. He could have gone anywhere! Definitely somebody that would know county lines and county roads, etc. Hunter.......line man.........fish and wildlife........IDK. Popular 4 wheel spots? New construction in all those spots?

I've taken that slant before too and I like it for a number of reason. I decided against it for a few reasons:

1. Time-line - Where we're they up till around 7 pm when the vehicle was first "noticed"? Even if say they got there at 6 pm, (the earliest police believe the vehicle could have been parked there), there is a 2 hour window where we don't know her whereabouts. That would leave them taking this drive rather late and she was due for dinner, so why would she, without being forced to, drive up there that late?

2. Going any farther on that road appears to be difficult to do without being noticed. House with picture window you drive by. If you look at the spot on google maps and aerial pictures it really doesn't look like that bad of spot to dump the vehicle and get back to town in not much time.

3. Police didn't get a good track and no evidence, or rumor, that police have returned to the area, (and they know much more than us).

Ok your challenging me here Alt... edge of town, non gps you are looking at a rather large area.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as an "off ping"

To my knowledge most phones do not have an alert signal when they have coverage.

This is a pretty intense topic that is difficult to answer quickly.

Dogdad- What I think Salem and I are both wondering in regards to cell phone pings is:

- when it leaves a service area is it likely the phone had a "ping" within a recent period of time before leaving the area? I believe it has been stated that there are four minute cycles in the Wenatchee area. Based upon this, I'm wondering then is it safe to say that when a phone moves into an area where it has NO service would it likely have had "ping" contact within four minutes of that time due to those cycles? If not, can you explain, if possible.

-based upon what I stated about 4 minute cycles, is it possible that when a phone reenters and area of service from one with none, would it be likely that the phone would receive a ping within 4 minutes as the cycle of communication occured?

We are trying to figure a timeline, and feel that last ping may have been near the time the phone either left or re-entered a service area. It's explained in an earlier exchange Salem and I had.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is great to have you here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member