Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE ON NEW MEXICAN ROOTS:

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2036574253268016/?type=3&theater

Update – just to catch you all up on our first day of analysis. We will try to share what we can with you as the days go by, until it would risk identifying the family or any relatives.

Some of the closest matches we are seeing to Lyle are from the northern New Mexico area. They seem to be from established families who have lived in that region a long time. Some were originally from Mexico generations ago.

These particular families in this area – we are learning – often married among themselves, as close-knit communities often do. This is known as “endogamy” – many intermarriages between close or distant cousins occur frequently enough that individuals end up sharing a lot of DNA with each other. IF this is what we are seeing with Lyle’s matches, this means that although someone may appear to be a first cousin based on how much DNA they have in common, they may actually be a second cousin who shares great-grandparents on both sides of the family. It can be tricky to pull apart these family lines and relationships (as anyone who has worked with endogamous family groups knows). So although Lyle has many good matches, teasing apart these lines will take time.

Bumping Lyle’s isotope testing info, w/definition of endogamy.

Small correction: that's the preliminary DNA info, not the isotopes.

I'm sure that DNA is what ETC meant to type, but now that you point it out carbuff, can anyone find the details of his isotope tests to compare with the prelim DNA findings? It's been a while since I read up on this case. Would be interesting to compare what we know so far. TIA.

I don't recall the isotope info ever being posted over here. It was mostly on reddit.

I don't recall the isotope info ever being posted over here. It was mostly on reddit.

Oh. I didn't know that. Was it not released in official sources/MSM?

(I don't think we can bring reddit info here.)

Endogamous and New Mexico make me wonder about Native American reservations. That could explain why he's gone so long unidentified.

Endogamous and New Mexico make me wonder about Native American reservations. That could explain why he's gone so long unidentified.

Interesting point about reservations.

I was reading this link earlier:

https://www.nap.edu/read/5355/chapter/8#108

The “one fourth” blood quantum requirement portion intrigued me, since Lyle’s DNA showed a significant percentage of “North Amerindian” DNA. (Pasted below)

HOWEVER, the trick with Lyle’s info, though, is that the DNA info we have access to doesn’t delineate which tribe or how many are mingled into that DNA. So it really doesn’t verify anything — though it makes your theory more plausible, imo. If that makes sense.

And, of course, Native babies are American the second they’re born, so SSN, birth certificate, etc. come even before tribal enrollment.

And you must be an enrolled tribal member in order to live on that tribal reservation (unless a non-Native spouse, iirc). Almost always.

And to enroll for tribal membership, Social Security info and a certified birth certificate must be submitted for an application to even be considered. That is, if it’s a federally recognized tribe, anyway.

There are 567 federally recognized tribes nationally, and 23 in New Mexico.

And that said, only (US Census data) one-fourth of Native Americans live on reservations. The majority do not. Oklahoma, for example, is home to almost 40 federally recognized tribes and there are no reservations.

But it is intriguing to consider.

From the link (p108):

“Around one-fourth of American Indians in the United States live on 278 reservations (or pueblos or rancherias) or associated "tribal trust lands," according to the Census Bureau. The largest of these is the Navajo Reservation, home to 143,405 Native Americans and 5,046 non-Indians in 1990 (Thornton, 1994a).7

“American Indian tribes located on reservations tend to have higher blood quantum requirements for membership than those located off reservation. As indicated in Table 5-1, over 85 percent of tribes requiring more than a one-quarter blood quantum for membership are reservation based, as compared with less than 64 percent of those having no minimum requirement.

“Tribes on reservations have seemingly been able to maintain exclusive membership by setting higher blood quanta, since the reservation location has generally served to isolate the tribe from non-Indians and intermarriage with them. Tribes without a reservation basis have maintained an inclusive membership by setting lower blood quanta for membership, since their populations have interacted and intermarried more with non-Indian populations.”

List of reservations and pueblos in New Mexico:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_reservations_in_New_Mexico

Oh. I didn't know that. Was it not released in official sources/MSM?

(I don't think we can bring reddit info here.)

I’m searching for a source.

Looks like Reddit links to Lyle’s isotope testing results were posted on Websleuths. Since I’m using Tapatalk, I’m unable to flag my own post to ask a mod if we can share them again in this thread.

Will someone please flag this post for me? (Lol, that’s such a weird-feeling sentence to type.) Hopefully we can get a yes or no and go from there.

In the meantime, I’ll keep looking for ToS allowable links to Lyle’s isotope info, if it’s legit. [emoji106]

I’m searching for a source.

Looks like Reddit links to Lyle’s isotope testing results were posted on Websleuths. Since I’m using Tapatalk, I’m unable to flag my own post to ask a mod if we can share them again in this thread.

Will someone please flag this post for me? (Lol, that’s such a weird-feeling sentence to type.) Hopefully we can get a yes or no and go from there.

In the meantime, I’ll keep looking for ToS allowable links to Lyle’s isotope info, if it’s legit. [emoji106]

I flagged on the google drive link (post # 185) to see if we can discuss. It seems legit, IMO, but I don't want to cause a bunch of trouble/clean up work for the mods if it's not allowed here.

Here’s a 2016 story — it mentions Lyle’s isotope test results, but gives scant details about them.

“Stevik's body was exhumed early this year for isotope testing, which can give some indication of where a person has lived during the course of his or her life, but Youmans said the results were far too broad to narrow the search significantly.

“Neither do Stevik's few possessions shed any significant light onto his background.

"’His clothing suggested he wasn't a transient,’ stated (Grays Harbor County Coroner Lane) Youmans. ‘But he checked in with no luggage ... just a toothbrush and toothpaste.’”

http://www.hometowndebate.com/john-doe-case-inspires-amateur-web-detectives-cms-7965

I flagged on the google drive link (post # 185) to see if we can discuss. It seems legit, IMO, but I don't want to cause a bunch of trouble/clean up work for the mods if it's not allowed here.

You’re awesome, Gardener. Thank you [emoji120]

The google drive document regarding isotopes is fine. It is a public document that has been discussed in the past.

:wave:

I wonder if the orthodontic work that he had can be traced to any and all dentists in that area of New Mexico?

Does anyone think he looks at all like Nicholas Vincent Smith, went missing from Las Cruces, NM in 1991, age 12 with his mother. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/3972
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180420_164251.jpg
    20180420_164251.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 552
I feel Lyle planned his suicide and wanted it to be, just right. He showered first and brought a tooth brush as if though he didn't want to be mistaken as a transient. He changed rooms..something bothered him about dying in #8. He left money for the hotel. Even covered the Windows and used pillows to reduce the sound. He comes across as being conscious and meticulous. Makes me sad.....
The extreme weight loss...did he know he was sick or maybe he was under extreme stress. Prob used false name and address because he never wanted anyone to ever know what became of him. Estranged from family?

Nope. Lyle is hispanic

He’s largely of Amerindian ancestry. His DNA and isotopic data correlates him to New Mexico and Idaho.

Where do you get that Lyle “is Hispanic”? Have I missed something? If so, please link source. TIA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20