Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think he looks at all like Nicholas Vincent Smith, went missing from Las Cruces, NM in 1991, age 12 with his mother. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/3972
attachment.php

I see some resemblance. He looks like he has attached lobes. Didn’t Lyle have attached lobes, too, and hazel eyes? Nicholas has fuller lips, too, like Lyle did.

NamUs

As for Lyle's ethnicity, he surely has some type of European. Posting a screen shot of his GEDmatch ethnicity and mine. Both of my parents are Hungarian, I have some Italian from a few times great grandparent

attachment.php
attachment.php

Bumping for graphic

rsbm

I see some resemblance. He looks like he has attached lobes. Didn’t Lyle have attached lobes, too, and hazel eyes? Nicholas has fuller lips, too, like Lyle did.
I see some resemblance, but the boy has DNA available, so it should have been flagged if they were a match.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Am I correct in saying that the coroner thought he lost a lot of weight prior only because of the clothes being too big??

Am I correct in saying that the coroner thought he lost a lot of weight prior only because of the clothes being too big??

That is correct and IDK if it was investigators thinking it as much as online sleuths. Mid 90’s through early 2000’s though it was very very common for younger people to wear jeans several sizes too big and purchase clothes from resale shops. I still haven’t broken my husband of wearing too big jeans and he’s almost 40 now[emoji39]

This is what Lane Youmans said about it here on WS.
2713393aa0bc962bf8097d5f692d1771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The belt had been worn on successively smaller notches.

This is from Coldcaseman, retired detective Lane Youmans, who investigated the case:

"All of the notches were stretched and worn, with the smallest size appearing to fit his waist. As he lost weight, he tightened his belt."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?142870-Compiled-info-contributed-by-coldcaseman

I see some resemblance, but the boy has DNA available, so it should have been flagged if they were a match.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Should being the key word. Has he been suggested to NamUs as a potential match? Has Lyle been definitely ruled out?

Should being the key word. Has he been suggested to NamUs as a potential match? Has Lyle been definitely ruled out?

I checked NamUs and Nicholas has no exclusions at all. Here is Lyle’s current list
f21352e159b616e944dd36ff3fb9cc73.jpg

IMHO even if Lyle’s had been broken, their noses are too dissimilar and Lyle has a much more angular face even accounting for the “growing into it” that 11 year olds still do. Especially if you look at the crime scene photos and not the post autopsy photos. IMO the bone structure of the face is too different.

Missing persons in Namus don't list exclusions.

UPDATE from DNA Doe Project:

facebook.com/DNADoeProject

(and go to the latest update)

"A brief status update on Lyle Stevik:
Lyle has many hundreds of DNA matches of various degrees. Our team has been following up on as many of his top matches for which we can find or construct a family tree. With time we could get lucky and a close family member might pop up. Hence, our appeals to the public to upload to GEDmatch. But in the meantime we keep working with the matches we do have. We have figured out family trees for well over two dozen of them, and most of these have ancestors they share with each other. Many of these will be Lyle’s ancestors, too. Our job entails going back 4 generations or more in each match’s tree, then finding all the descendants of those ancestors. We have one man in the tree with 88 grandchildren. We’re up pretty late at night!
Here again are the counties we are finding most often among the families of Lyle’s matches.

Rio Arriba, NM
Taos, NM
Las Animas, CO
Huerfano, CO
Pueblo, CO
San Juan, UT

If your family is from these areas and if you or any of your relatives have done a DNA test, It would be great if you would upload your results to GEDmatch.
Some people familiar with the Lyle Stevik case have suggested he may have been a bit fuller in the face at an earlier time in his life. This important detail is often overlooked, so perhaps those looking for “Lyle” may not yet have recognized him from previous images. With the kind permission of the remarkable artist Carl Koppelman please see the heavier version of Lyle below."

(see post for reconstruction photos)
Photo reconstruction credits: Carl Koppelman

Lyle has many hundreds of DNA matches of various degrees. Our team has been following up on as many of his top matches for which we can find or construct a family tree. With time we could get lucky and a close family member might pop up. Hence, our appeals to the public to upload to GEDmatch. But in the meantime we keep working with the matches we do have. We have figured out family trees for well over two dozen of them, and most of these have ancestors they share with each other. Many of these will be Lyle’s ancestors, too. Our job entails going back 4 generations or more in each match’s tree, then finding all the descendants of those ancestors. We have one man in the tree with 88 grandchildren. We’re up pretty late at night!
Here again are the counties we are finding most often among the families of Lyle’s matches.

Rio Arriba, NM
Taos, NM
Las Animas, CO
Huerfano, CO
Pueblo, CO
San Juan, UT

If your family is from these areas and if you or any of your relatives have done a DNA test, It would be great if you would upload your results to GEDmatch.
Some people familiar with the Lyle Stevik case have suggested he may have been a bit fuller in the face at an earlier time in his life. This important detail is often overlooked, so perhaps those looking for “Lyle” may not yet have recognized him from previous images. With the kind permission of the remarkable artist Carl Koppelman please see the heavier version of Lyle below."

Here's the link to Carl's reconstruction: https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj....1524446527./2052221245036650/?type=3&theater

I checked NamUs and Nicholas has no exclusions at all. Here is Lyle’s current list
f21352e159b616e944dd36ff3fb9cc73.jpg

IMHO even if Lyle’s had been broken, their noses are too dissimilar and Lyle has a much more angular face even accounting for the “growing into it” that 11 year olds still do. Especially if you look at the crime scene photos and not the post autopsy photos. IMO the bone structure of the face is too different.

Thank you, keeleydoll! ❤️

Rio Arriba, NM
Taos, NM
Las Animas, CO
Huerfano, CO
Pueblo, CO
San Juan, UT

For a visual of the areas they are focused on, here is a map linking all the counties listed above (Google maps to the center of the county):https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...8b5c3ca2e!2m2!1d-104.4723301!2d38.2528534!3e0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member