GUILTY WA - Remains in bags, Alki Beach, Seattle, Jun 2020 - Jessica Lewis & Austin "Cash" Wenner *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

4/7/23

SEATTLE — A Burien man was sentenced to more than 46 years in prison Friday for killing two people and dumping their bodies in a suitcase along a West Seattle beach in June 2020.

Michael Dudley was convicted on two counts of second-degree murder in December for the deaths of 35-year-old Jessica Lewis and 27-year-old Austin Wenner. A King County Superior Court judge sentenced Dudley to 560 months in prison Friday morning.

Judge Aimee Sutton sentenced Dudley to the high end of the standard sentencing for each count, which is 220 months. An additional 60-month sentence was added for each count for “firearm enhancement.” Dudley is 65 years old, which means he will be 111 when released from prison.

Dudley is a predator. He seeks out people in need for his own benefit. He is manipulative, calculated, who deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law without the possibility of patrol,” Wenner’s mother Charleen Kriens said in court Friday. “He deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars, without freedom, without free will.

[..]

Prosecutors said Dudley had grown frustrated with the couple and believed they were stealing from him.

Dudley’s attorney said in court before sentencing that his client “maintains that the wrong individual was convicted” and that Dudley “maintains that he did not (kill Wenner and Lewis).”

4/7/23

1681044790601.png
Austin Wenner, 27, and Jessica Lewis, 35, were killed in 2020. Their landlord was sentenced to more than 46 years in prison Friday. (Courtesy Gina Jaschke)

During trial, Dudley’s defense team criticized the Seattle police investigation as shoddy, impugned the credibility of the state’s star witness and said an attic-to-basement search of Dudley’s house by State Patrol “blood experts” didn’t turn up any evidence — other than the smudge of Wenner’s blood. Firearms experts also agreed three bullets found in the bedroom had not gone through a human body. No blood was found inside Dudley’s vehicles, either.

The state countered that by the time Dudley was arrested Aug. 19, 2020, he had had two months and 10 days to clean up his home.

Defense attorney Bradley Barshis said Friday that Dudley maintains “other people committed this crime” and that Lewis and Wenner were scared of a group of people who had previously held them at gunpoint inside Dudley’s house. He argued for a 30-year sentence that would see Dudley released by age 90.

Barshis indicated Dudley intends to appeal his conviction.

In a brief statement to the judge, Dudley said Lewis’ and Wenner’s deaths had nothing to do with unpaid rent, referencing a possible motive suggested by a witness who told police Dudley had accused the couple of stealing from him, failing to pay rent and resisting his efforts to get them to leave.

“This isn’t really about me — it’s about justice for Austin and Jessica, and when all things are considered, I’m sure the truth will come out,” he said. “In the end they did good, despite their pernicious nature.”

In handing down her sentence, Sutton said the facts of the case are not what the court commonly sees in second-degree murder cases.

“Two human beings were murdered, but I think it’s what happened after that that is challenging to understand,” Sutton said. “Ms. Lewis and Mr. Wenner may not have been perfect in their lives, but I don’t think of people as ‘pernicious.’ “

She said the fact the victims’ full remains have never been found is its own tragedy.

4/7/23

A landlord found guilty of killing his two tenants and dumping their bodies in suitcases on Alki Beach was sentenced to 46 years in prison Friday.

Michael Dudley, a 64 year-old-man, was found guilty of four counts of second-degree murder last December for the deaths of Jessica Lewis and Austin Wenner.

Closing arguments heard in trial of man accused of killing couple found washed ashore in suitcase

The bodies were found in suitcases washed ashore on Alki Beach and were discovered by a group of teenagers making a TikTok video in June 2020.

[..]

Dudley will spend 46 years and eight months in prison without the possibility of parole.

Fri, 04/07/2023

Michael Lee Dudley, who was convicted of the second degree murders of Jessica Lewis and Austin Wenner in December was sentenced today to more than 40 years in prison, specifically 560 months. Dudley who is 64 will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Judge Aimee Sutton issued the sentence in a hearing in King County Superior Court.

The horrific details of the case drew international attention including a documentary on the BBC.

[..]

Neighbors said they heard gunfire and heard a man's voice yelling, “Please don’t do this, just let me leave.”

The bodies of Lewis and Wenner were found days later in a bizarre intersection of murder and viral video. Teen girls using the Tik Tok app were directed to the area adjacent to Duwamish Head on Alki. There they found two suitcases that it was later determined, contained the dismembered remains of Lewis and Wenner.

4/7/23

Michael Lee Dudley was sentenced Friday to 46 years and eight months in prison, KING 5 reported.

The landlord was found guilty of four counts of second-degree murder in December 2022, two years after killing his tenants Jessica Lewis, 35, and Austin Wenner, 27, and then putting their bodies into suitcases.

Dudley shot Lewis and Wenner in June 2020 at his residence in Burien, Washington, where the couple had been renting a room during the city's quarantine period.

Didn’t follow this case but seriously odd that more blood wasn’t found. Someone his age that could kill and dismember 2 bodies makes me wonder what he could have done in the passed, if he could have murdered before.

Small caliber rounds into the heart. What little bleeding there is all falls onto bedding or rugs or whatever. Could have even laid down tarps. Agreed, pretty procedural. Might not be the first time.

True but wouldn’t luminal still show blood. I’m sure he did it, just amazed that more blood wasn’t found.
After following the 2021 Halderson murders (Bart & Krista), minimal blood evidence no longer surprises me. In this case, their son also dismembered their two bodies and what he didn't burn in the fireplace, he disposed of elsewhere.

After following the 2021 Halderson murders (Bart & Krista), minimal blood evidence no longer surprises me. In this case, their son also dismembered their two bodies and what he didn't burn in the fireplace, he disposed of elsewhere.

Gezzz what a horrible case! Here I go down another rabbit hole lol.

Fri, 04/07/2023

Michael Lee Dudley, who was convicted of the second degree murders of Jessica Lewis and Austin Wenner in December was sentenced today to more than 40 years in prison, specifically 560 months. Dudley who is 64 will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Judge Aimee Sutton issued the sentence in a hearing in King County Superior Court.

The horrific details of the case drew international attention including a documentary on the BBC.

[..]

Neighbors said they heard gunfire and heard a man's voice yelling, “Please don’t do this, just let me leave.”

The bodies of Lewis and Wenner were found days later in a bizarre intersection of murder and viral video. Teen girls using the Tik Tok app were directed to the area adjacent to Duwamish Head on Alki. There they found two suitcases that it was later determined, contained the dismembered remains of Lewis and Wenner.
I still remember seeing the 911 report on the grounded boat,and him refusing help from the Coast Guard. I knew right away that he was up to no good,but I thought it was drug trafficking which is bad enough itself,and wondered where the drop was. I never had a thought enter my mind of the true horror of what he did. It's so macabre,and depraved. Glad justice has been served. RIP Austin,and Jessica.

[...]
Last week saw the return of Netflix’s hit true crime series Worst Roommate Ever.

In the final episode of its second season, viewers were introduced to Michael Lee Dudley.

The warm-humoured, unassuming looking 66-year-old looked, by all appearances, a committed Washington Airbnb owner.

He’d previously volunteered to drive one renter to a job interview and cared for another’s pets – he himself was smitten with his dog, Duke.

But Dudley, who has since earned the sobriquet “The Lethal Landlord“, was actually a killer.

A
[...]
Last week saw the return of Netflix’s hit true crime series Worst Roommate Ever.

In the final episode of its second season, viewers were introduced to Michael Lee Dudley.

The warm-humoured, unassuming looking 66-year-old looked, by all appearances, a committed Washington Airbnb owner.

He’d previously volunteered to drive one renter to a job interview and cared for another’s pets – he himself was smitten with his dog, Duke.

But Dudley, who has since earned the sobriquet “The Lethal Landlord“, was actually a killer.
Air bnb my butt I drove Austin’s dad there looking for him a few months before he was found. It was a run down house where he let addicts stay and tried to charge them rent

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back