WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I recently got glasses but trying to look at these pictures makes me wonder if I should go get my eyes checked again. WOW these people have some good vision! I did see that backpack/rock last week but I'm not seeing anything they are seeing lately.

I really hope they are successful this week!

This is why I'm SO glad that the drone people have taken it upon themselves to continue searching independent of the family. A lot of people would quit when blocked by the family. These guys aren't. I'm so glad!

Yes. I just want Sam off that mountain, period. I know Garrett Bardsley's Dad has learned to be at peace with him still being on the mountain. However, I don't see Sam's mother doing that. I think Sam needs to be found ASAP and brought home so her mother can come to terms with this.
Agreed. The healing can’t begin until she knows what happened to her daughter. I wasn’t hopeful until I read that page and your posts. Those drone operators are angels. They will bring Sam home.

Agreed. The healing can’t begin until she knows what happened to her daughter. I wasn’t hopeful until I read that page and your posts. Those drone operators are angels. They will bring Sam home.

I mean it seems wrong to be hopeful because they are looking for a body. However, having participated in mountain searches that never found the body... I AM hopeful! I'm concerned about the fallout if Sam isn't found soon. I fear there may be more casualties. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it hopeful.

I mean it seems wrong to be hopeful because they are looking for a body. However, having participated in mountain searches that never found the body... I AM hopeful! I'm concerned about the fallout if Sam isn't found soon. I fear there may be more casualties. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it hopeful.
It’s not the outcome that any of us wanted but I feel like you do. I’m worried for her mom. She said tonight she doesn’t talk to her own mother or sons. She will only text because she can’t handle seeing them. She’s locked in her house and doesn’t see other people either. I keep using the word tragic but that’s the only word I can think of to describe this. So sad.

Yes, I was just coming to suggest this as an alternative to Sam's page. If you feel that you have seen something in the drone footage or feel you have a suggestion that the family will not listen to... send it Steve's way. Several of the people with years of SAR experience have been blocked from Sam's page. Some are in this group working here instead. Going up in a helicopter tomorrow it sounds like.

Thank you for sharing this link. It is so nice to be able to see a group of people working together to help find Samantha, even if they are banned from the #findsamsayers page. One interesting this is Steve Monchak posted that he has been "smelling death" on the trail, and that the stench has only gotten stronger in the past few days. He's continuing to check that area.

Thank you for sharing this link. It is so nice to be able to see a group of people working together to help find Samantha, even if they are banned from the #findsamsayers page. One interesting this is Steve Monchak posted that he has been "smelling death" on the trail, and that the stench has only gotten stronger in the past few days. He's continuing to check that area.

Yes. They plan to check that area tomorrow.

While I don't think they can ping a dead phone, maybe the phone does have GPS coordinates that they could use. Those might be more accurate than the pings.

RSBM

I've followed some recent cases that used phone data to trace murderers to the scene of a crime, and police have only been able track the phone via the location of the cell towers it pinged off, and only when the phone was on. I'm sure police would love it if phone data would give precise gps locations, even when the perp turned it off to hide his location, but I've never seen it.

I wonder if the family in this case is trying to see if she had enabled her location for her Google account, which will identify your position when you open Google maps. But I doubt Google keeps records showing everywhere everyone's ever been.

There are apps you can download that will track your hike in terms of location and elevation, kind of like a fitbit. Perhaps they're hoping she used one of those, and her Google account would show the name of her apps and online accounts, with her login credentials.

The problem is these apps use a lot of battery power. Also, hiking in a remote area means your phone is always searching for spotty cell coverage, which also drains the battery. Most safety experts advise to keep your phone turned off, so you'll be able to use it if you need to in an emergency.

Last edited:

As sad as this update from Steve is, I hope he's right and they find something conclusive in their search tomorrow. I want this to be over for her mother and her family. It's so tragic to watch.

:eek:

A little encouragement for those who want to help and have better eyes than I do! Steve says: Yes. You all help by spotting objects in the photos we have all released. From there I send anything in to him that needs to be looked at. He is able to use a photo of Sam and the clothing she was wearing to pick out objects as small as a tennis ball at 150' off the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...AYmd2Ps&dti=192587941440937&hc_location=group

Also, Sam's Mom does thank Steve here. So at least she is receptive to his efforts.

When Sam is found, if she is deceased, I hope someone will stay with her mother and monitor her well-being. I fear she may self-harm.
I think she has a decent network, and she survived a house fire and cancer. She's talked about campaigning for changes in policy once this is over. She seems frazzled, understandably, but I don't see her giving up. Now the bf, on the other hand, and the searchers, they definitely need some serious therapy and monitoring for sure. No matter how it turns out.

They have Samantha in NAMUS now...

Missing Person Case

Circumstances:
Samantha, 25, was reportedly last seen in Graves County, Kentucky on the morning of Wednesday, March 28, 2018, according to Graves County Chief Deputy Sheriff Davant Ramage. Samantha Sperry and her boyfriend had a verbal altercation at 4250 Tim Rd. Sperry got on a four wheeler with her boyfriend's father and they got stuck. The father advised they got lost in the woods, where they stayed all night and began to walk out the next morning. The father stated upon walking out, they came out at the Kaler Bottoms by the bridge near KY 131 and KY 849. He told Sperry they could walk to the Kaler Mart where they could get warm and get something to eat. Sperry told him she was going to a family member's house and went toward KY 849 walking. He went towards the Kaler Mart which was the last time he saw her.

This is the wrong Sam, I hope she is found safe.

As sad as this update from Steve is, I hope he's right and they find something conclusive in their search tomorrow. I want this to be over for her mother and her family. It's so tragic to watch.
I wonder where he is on the trail that he’s on to this smell. Would a body/ remains have a strong smell with this much time passed? I smell dead animals in the woods area near my house from time to time, but the smell only lasts a few days at most.

Another update from Samantha's mother via video on 9/5 at night.
  • The help today helped them get "new info" and they have people looking into this. The family is trying to hire a licensed PI in Washington.
  • They're meeting with the Jon Francis Foundation, who will also meet with the sheriff tomorrow.
  • Someone saw a "body" on the drone footage and called the sheriff. It was a log. The mother issued a warning to please only call if they see Samantha or a piece of equipment. She mentioned that the police would get angry if people kept doing this. I kind of understand this, but if I thought that I saw a body, I wouldn't put it in the spreadsheet either.
  • Drone operators will be able to operate all day tomorrow, and they're getting special software to help with object recognition. They've also got helicopters to get searchers to the summit.
  • Ground level searching is continuing. There are still areas that haven't been searched. Jon Francis is bringing in dogs on Friday.
I feel so bad for her mother, and for her brothers. I guess she offended people when she asked them to stop pestering her with questions earlier today. I can understand her feelings, especially about answering the same difficult questions about Samantha over and over again. This whole situation is tearing their lives apart.
Is one of the reasons she’s mad because someone called thinking it’s a body... and that it was Sam’s? Because she wants people to help if they see Sam or her gear and a body COULD be Sam but to her that’s unreasonable? Why would anyone tell the family - “hey, I think I see her body on the trail, etc”? Of course you would tell the SO. I agree with you.

It’s amazing that the blocked SAR people are still searching. I hope they find her soon. I was/am worried about her mom once he trails close and it’s blocked with snow from Oct to May.

I wonder where he is on the trail that he’s on to this smell. Would a body/ remains have a strong smell with this much time passed? I smell dead animals in the woods area near my house from time to time, but the smell only lasts a few days at most.
You could have the smell of decomp after a few weeks. A lot depends on exposure to elements and temperature. Also, the cadaver dogs are trained to pick our human remains versus animal remains. Human bodies emit a unique five-chemical cocktail - comprised of 3-methylbutyl pentanoate, 3-methylbutyl 3-methylbutyrate, 3-methylbutyl 2-methylbutyrate, butyl pentanoate and propyl hexanoate - that separates them from the rest of the animal kingdom.

These five chemicals are part of a group of molecules called esters, which are also responsible for the strong, sharp smells emitted by fruits like pineapples and raspberries. That gives the scent of a human body a uniquely different scent than other animals which the cadaver dogs are trained to detect.

You could have the smell of decomp after a few weeks. A lot depends on exposure to elements and temperature. Also, the cadaver dogs are trained to pick our human remains versus animal remains. Human bodies emit a unique five-chemical cocktail - comprised of 3-methylbutyl pentanoate, 3-methylbutyl 3-methylbutyrate, 3-methylbutyl 2-methylbutyrate, butyl pentanoate and propyl hexanoate - that separates them from the rest of the animal kingdom.

These five chemicals are part of a group of molecules called esters, which are also responsible for the strong, sharp smells emitted by fruits like pineapples and raspberries. That gives the scent of a human body a uniquely different scent than other animals which the cadaver dogs are trained to detect.
Interesting. Thanks so much for the info. Learn something new every day. I did read where the best training scenario for dogs is sniffing human placenta donated by new moms. Hope this search leads to her recovery. I truly don’t believe she’s still alive. Would love to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay