WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could have the smell of decomp after a few weeks. A lot depends on exposure to elements and temperature. Also, the cadaver dogs are trained to pick our human remains versus animal remains. Human bodies emit a unique five-chemical cocktail - comprised of 3-methylbutyl pentanoate, 3-methylbutyl 3-methylbutyrate, 3-methylbutyl 2-methylbutyrate, butyl pentanoate and propyl hexanoate - that separates them from the rest of the animal kingdom.

These five chemicals are part of a group of molecules called esters, which are also responsible for the strong, sharp smells emitted by fruits like pineapples and raspberries. That gives the scent of a human body a uniquely different scent than other animals which the cadaver dogs are trained to detect.
That’s interesting!! Thanks for sharing that!

Last edited:
I wonder where he is on the trail that he’s on to this smell. Would a body/ remains have a strong smell with this much time passed? I smell dead animals in the woods area near my house from time to time, but the smell only lasts a few days at most.
He did say he smelled “death” from the very first time he went up on the mountain but that the family ignored him. He went on to say that the smell has intensified over time.

Is one of the reasons she’s mad because someone called thinking it’s a body... and that it was Sam’s? Because she wants people to help if they see Sam or her gear and a body COULD be Sam but to her that’s unreasonable? Why would anyone tell the family - “hey, I think I see her body on the trail, etc”? Of course you would tell the SO. I agree with you.

It’s amazing that the blocked SAR people are still searching. I hope they find her soon. I was/am worried about her mom once he trails close and it’s blocked with snow from Oct to May.

Her mother wasn’t mad at all about this. She has said if they see Sam or her gear, they are to immediately contact the police, not them. I meant to say that the police were a little miffed at the report.

He did say he smelled “death” from the very first time he went up on the mountain but that the family ignored him. He went on to say that the smell has intensified over time.

I'm not clear if he means he "smells it in the air" in a less literal/more emotional vibe/feeling sense or if he literally is detecting the scent of decomposition in a particular place.

I'm not clear if he means he "smells it in the air" in a less literal/more emotional vibe/feeling sense or if he literally is detecting the scent of decomposition in a particular place.
No he is literally detecting the scent in a particular place and will be searching there today. He seemed to be optimistic about finding the cause of the scent before the end of the week.

Edited to add that he is going to be dropped off by helicopter this morning at the top of the mountain along with a generator that will allow him to fly his drone all day.

I feel for Sam's mom, I really do. But she seems to expect and want an AWFUL lot of hundreds of peoples time and resources on her own terms. And congressmen. And COOs and whomever she is telling people to contact. To me, she comes across as demanding. At what point do we say - your daughter ventured out on her OWN in a VERY unsafe area, how many people do you expect to drop everything and help you for weeks on end. I don't mean to be callous, just realistic.

ETA: Read comments on Wings of Mercy on FB. He is out there sacrificing and giving almost full time hours....going to be out all day today. Yet, they don't want his help, they don't want people to identify certain objects in the drone videos, the family/admins ban people who try to do so. It is all a little odd to me.

Last edited:
I know. I read some of his posts. It’s anaxing to me how many of them and their comments have been blocked by the very people they’re trying to help.

The weather is turning in Washington. Noticeably cooler at night. I feel they are running out of time, and........it’s not going to be searchable much longer. I guess in theory they could go until the end of October (not sure when trails close?) but nothing short of a miracle is going to be a happy ending. Still hoping though....

No he is literally detecting the scent in a particular place and will be searching there today. He seemed to be optimistic about finding the cause of the scent before the end of the week.

Edited to add that he is going to be dropped off by helicopter this morning at the top of the mountain along with a generator that will allow him to fly his drone all day.

Ahh, okay. I went and looked at his Facebook group's page and saw his description about it. The smell he's noticed is only 1 mile up the trail, from the trailhead! I believe all of the drone footage they've been filming and putting up for review is around the peak areas. Has there been any drone footage of the area closer to the trailhead? He says a group will be checking it out today so hopefully they can post an update as to what the source of the smell is by this evening.

The weather is turning in Washington. Noticeably cooler at night. I feel they are running out of time, and........it’s not going to be searchable much longer. I guess in theory they could go until the end of October (not sure when trails close?) but nothing short of a miracle is going to be a happy ending. Still hoping though....

The trails never officially close (unless there is a specific reason to close one like a landslide over the trail or other danger) but the highway to get up to many of the trailheads closes to vehicles in the winter. That date varies depending on snowfalls levels. Last year, it was in early December.

Last edited:
Oooh, okay! I gotcha! I’m gonna Jeep my eyes peeled on that new page!
Well that’s better then. Glad her mom is not completely anti tips that do not mesh with her wishes. And I meant to say amazing. Not anaxing, whatever that means and why autocorrect changes words to weirder words I just don’t know.

O/T Also funny when you want to send a message in a language other than English and auto-translate steps in and when you look up you find your whole message translated to English :rolleyes: I have turned all the 'autos' off now.

Reading silently along here. I hope they find Sam soon!

O/T Also funny when you want to send a message in a language other than English and auto-translate steps in and when you look up you find your whole message translated to English :rolleyes: I have turned all the 'autos' off now.

Reading silently along here. I hope they find Sam soon!
That happens to me all the time but it translates my stuff to Spanglish (half in English and half in Spanish). I have to constantly make sure it doesn’t autocorrect when I hit post o_O

I think she has a decent network, and she survived a house fire and cancer. She's talked about campaigning for changes in policy once this is over. She seems frazzled, understandably, but I don't see her giving up. Now the bf, on the other hand, and the searchers, they definitely need some serious therapy and monitoring for sure. No matter how it turns out.

I hope people who know Sam personally aren't involved in searches this week. I would hate for them to discover anything right now.

What policy changes does her mother want? I'm not really seeing anything that they could have done better in Sam's case!

I hope people who know Sam personally aren't involved in searches this week. I would hate for them to discover anything right now.

What policy changes does her mother want? I'm not really seeing anything that they could have done better in Sam's case!

Her boyfriend posted an hour ago in the Facebook group that he's up there with the drone pilots today so I don't know about the rest of her family, but he's definitely there.

Her boyfriend posted an hour ago in the Facebook group that he's up there with the drone pilots today so I don't know about the rest of her family, but he's definitely there.
The mother and her husband returned home to Pennsylvania three weeks ago. I haven’t heard that her brothers are searching either. It seems to be more her boyfriend Kevin, his family and awesome volunteers that are leading the actual search on the mountain.

The mother and her husband returned home to Pennsylvania three weeks ago. I haven’t heard that her brothers are searching either. It seems to be more her boyfriend Kevin, his family and awesome volunteers that are leading the actual search on the mountain.
I also thought he and Sam had been together longer than they have been. From IG and such it seems it’s been about a year. That’s awesome he’s so dedicated. Poor guy probably hasn’t had a decent sleep in over a month now.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay