WA WA - Samantha Sayers, 28, Vesper Peak, North Cascades, 1 August 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 49th Parallel (one of the non-profits helping with the search) posted a video this morning on their Facebook page addressing the concerns about the military background/history of their team leader. If you go to the organization's public Facebook page, it's right there at the top. To summarize, he has no military background but he knows people that were in the military.

Last edited:
There was a 67 year old and a 70 year old hiker missing earlier this year. Both were found safely.

That's good news! I hope they find this 70 year old man quickly and safely.

There was a 67 year old and a 70 year old hiker missing earlier this year. Both were found safely.

This 70 year old was last night/this morning. It came across the scanner yesterday. Was he found safely?

If you look at Steve Monchak's FB page...he has posted a very remarkable post. He blames Bud Carr for faking a military background. He actually includes a background check showing Carr's history of criminal conduct, including burglary. He is warning others that he is a farce and a fraud, yet the family has assigned him to be the Search Manager. Some serious drama happening amidst the love and light. :(
Haaaaaa that's epic......love & light

My opinion of the "share share share" is that it nets resources in the form of funding through the go fund me page and the potential for new boots/paws on the ground to aid in search efforts.

IMO, this search and these people have become obsessive, and nobody is being realistic anymore. I can empathize with Sam's loved ones. How horrible it must be to admit she is deceased. But the time and efforts of SO many people to recover a body is mind blowing. When reality finally hits, I worry for the mental state of her mom and boyfriend.

As someone who hikes regularly in all four seasons (upper New England), it makes my heart ache when they keep describing Sam as an experienced hiker. Most experienced hikers wouldn't go on a similar hike with the gear she carried. I don't leave for any distance hike without a headlamp and a technical layer (at the extreme minimum), regardless of the season. The photo that keeps getting posted of the jacket they say she had actually looks like a cotton sweatshirt. I can't help but think that if SAR was told she was experienced and had a jacket, that would impact the immediate search efforts that were made. I feel very badly for the family, but agree that people are no longer being realistic.

I so hope they find her as I feel for her mother. I cannot even guess what I would do in the situation. I agree that this is a huge effort for a body recovery - sometimes we get past the point of turning back and searching becomes an obsession because maybe that is all her mom has right now.

There is such disparity in resources for finding missing individuals. Factoring socioeconomic and geographical elements, it can be so slanted in a way where one missing person can seem to get all the resources and attention and another barely gets press. I struggle with that.

This is my own opinion.

For a wilderness area missing person case, I think the person's family/friend's level of knowledge about the backcountry and remote hikes makes a very large impact. My parents did multi-day backpacking trips when they were younger; my father canoed in the back woods of Maine regularly. They know what the middle of nowhere looks like and feels like, and how easy it would be to go missing "out there". I don't shield my parents from the ugly side of the types of hiking my husband and I do, so they know the risks we're taking. They see the articles about lost/missing hikers, avalanches, severe frostbite, etc. (and they're probably glad my three sisters prefer the beach). If something were to happen to one of us on a hike, I think my family/friends would have a pretty good understanding of how long a search would be useful for, and would react accordingly. I can see how her mother is pushing things on social media, it seems like she truly doesn't understand how being lost and not found could happen to her daughter.

The 49th Parallel (one of the non-profits helping with the search) posted a video this morning on their Facebook page addressing the concerns about the military background/history of their team leader. If you go to the organization's public Facebook page, it's right there at the top. To summarize, he has no military background but he knows people that were in the military.

Wow. It looks like an hour-long video. Thank you for summarizing in one sentence! :)

Hopefully this will answer any of the above questions. Shared in it's entirety with permission from KD:
NEW PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

The Mission to Find Sam Sayers Continues As Family Turns to Professional Help and Search Takes Another Turn.

After 41 days, the search for Sam Sayers, a seasoned hiker who went missing in the cascades on August 1st, is showing no signs of slowing. New Search Operation Managers are being brought in and the family is moving towards establishing a forward operating base in the mountains so operations can continue uninhibited.

Commanding Warrant Officer CW5 Kevin Dares, the father of Sam Sayers fiancé, will be flying in to oversee search operations and perform duties as Commander of the Forward Operating Base. CW5 Dares is currently the Command Chief Warrant Officer for the Louisiana National Guard and has over 35 years of military experience. A Black Hawk Pilot with extensive SAR experience, he has operated in multiple hurricanes, including Katrina. He also oversaw air search and rescues operations during the 2016 flooding of central Louisiana. With multiple deployments including Iraq, during Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Horn of Africa with Operation Enduring Freedom, CW5 Dares is expected to bring operations into a more professional and organized structure.

At the recommendation of the Jon Francis Foundation, and under Chief Dares, Carlton Carr will perform as Search Operations Manager. The family believes that with over 28 yrs of experience hiking and mountaineering in the Cascades, Carlton’s expertise will be instrumental in finding Sam. Carlton feels he was born for this. His father, Carlton Carr Sr., a SAR (Search And Rescue) leader and manager in Colorado and Utah, first enrolled him in survival school at age 11. Carlton Jr. is a Life/Eagle Scout from the Uinta District, has TCCC and wilderness first aid training, is FEMA certified, first aid certified and has managed and directed multiple private search missions including being a key first responder in the SGT. Eric Massey rescue.

Resources continue to be gathered and plans are in motion to establish an operating base within the mountains. HiLine Helicopters will be flying in canvas tents, wood burning stoves, satellite phones, communications equipment, inverter generators and more to Lake Elan so that crews can establish a permanent forward operating base.

Tim Sorenson of CRT and Drone Operations manager for the “Find Sam Sayers Team” is excited for the possibilities moving forward. He says that what they are accomplishing here is breaking new ground and drone operations have the potential to add an effective new weapon to the arsenal of SAR. With generators on site the searchers are looking to continue with the operations set forth by the Jon Francis Foundation. The generators give the teams, led by Sorenson, the ability to compile an enormous amount of footage daily that can be uploaded with remote internet connections.

The Snohomish Sheriffs Department continues to scout the mountain with helicopters for any new signs and the family would like to thank all SAR and the Snohomish Sheriff’s Department for their continued efforts and help throughout this trying time.

The search teams need qualified Mountaineers and certified HRD and Cross Trained K9 Teams who are capable of handling the terrain and environmental challenges of Vesper Peak.

To Volunteer your services and be a part of the continued mission, please contact the administrative team at
FindSamSayers.infobox@gmail.com
Did anyone else notice in the official Press Release Sam's boyfriend is suddenly her "fiance".

Wow, I think SM deleted the post with the background check on BC. I hope these two font continue their pssing match and distract from the recovery. It’s just static.

There's a post in the Facebook group today about a new outdoor billboard campaign that will be on billboards across the country to show Sam's photo and ask for more volunteers to search. Wow!

There's a post in the Facebook group today about a new outdoor billboard campaign that will be on billboards across the country to show Sam's photo and ask for more volunteers to search. Wow!
The “wow” factor for me is what if all the resources being donated and poured into this (likely) recovery mission (post the massive 3-week search by LE & SAR) went to other missing folks that have a better chance statistically of being rescued? Wouldn’t that be grand? Or to the families with small children in the local area that are sleeping in their cars? Or any number of people and groups that are hurting and CAN be helped. It’s hurting my heart on so many levels. And yes I feel for the mom, deeply. As long as she can keep the search going she doesn’t have to face what is likely the worst loss one could experience.

The “wow” factor for me is what if all the resources being donated and poured into this (likely) recovery mission (post the massive 3-week search by LE & SAR) went to other missing folks that have a better chance statistically of being rescued? Wouldn’t that be grand? Or to the families with small children in the local area that are sleeping in their cars? Or any number of people and groups that are hurting and CAN be helped. It’s hurting my heart on so many levels. And yes I feel for the mom, deeply. As long as she can keep the search going she doesn’t have to face what is likely the worst loss one could experience.

As much as I sympathize with Samantha’s family, I agree that these resources could be put to better use. But the money would never be raised for those purposes, unfortunately. Plenty of mothers, including the elderly mother of Stephanie Warner in my signature, have had to come to grips with their loss without a major search to find a body. :(

With no way of knowing if someone is deceased when they are missing, why stop looking? If there are people who are not being searched for that you know of that mean something to you, do something about it. Don't disparage others for also looking for their own loved ones. I have no illusions that my family would even look for me themselves ever if I went missing, and many of the WS missing have many people looking for them(which is lucky). And don't confuse funds for this search as being taken from some other cause, because many people who donate to a cause donate to many. If there are issues of US citizens and their children sleeping in cars, call your congress people. It has nothing to do with this case.

Did anyone else notice in the official Press Release Sam's boyfriend is suddenly her "fiance".
That is what her mother has called him from the beginning. Why does that stand out for you?

Yesterday searchers found the body of a woman who went missing on Mt Hood in Oregon almost 2 weeks ago. Today authorities revealed that they strongly suspect that she was killed by a cougar, in the first-ever fatal cougar attack in the wild in Oregon. This occurred 2 miles off a busy highway.

Woman found dead near Mount Hood was killed in suspected cougar attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member