WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a thought after a brief reading of this case. Some things are not what they seem to be, especially when it comes to drugs.

Psyllium (Metamucil) was a huge diet fad in the 90's. People would take this substance 10-15 minutes before meals and that prevented them from eating their normal portions. Sounds rather simple but it only took one overindulgance to realize this was an easy, though dangerous way to crub the appetite. Hence, quick weight loss.

"Mary" was overweight according to her height measurements. As to the cyanide, I am inclined to think she was an educated person who ran in professional circles and would not have had a problem obtaining cyanide. I also believe the choice of mixture was just a matter of convenience.
For what it's worth to an eager researcher.

I noticed that Betty Jean Glovak Flurry, who went missing from San Francisco on January 21, 1992, has red hair and surgical scars on both breasts. She was a lot lighter than Mary Anderson at the time that she went missing.
image.aspx

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=4679204232109
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/flurry_betty.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/811dfca.html

I was poking around the the-seeker.com again and came across this. It doesn't contain a lot of useful information but the names a match :facepalm:

"I am looking for my cousin, Mary Ellen Anderson. She was born in Burlington, Vermont and should be about 48-54 years old now. She went to Europe to study for a bit and then joined the U.S. Navy as an officer. The only location I can remember her being while in the Navy was in California somewhere as, I think, a recruiting officer."

I was poking around the the-seeker.com again and came across this. It doesn't contain a lot of useful information but the names a match :facepalm:

"I am looking for my cousin, Mary Ellen Anderson. She was born in Burlington, Vermont and should be about 48-54 years old now. She went to Europe to study for a bit and then joined the U.S. Navy as an officer. The only location I can remember her being while in the Navy was in California somewhere as, I think, a recruiting officer."

Does it say when the last time they were in contact with her was? Unfortunately, it is sort of a common name because I know of at least one missing person named Mary Anderson, but her vital statistics and circumstances don't match up with the woman found in Seattle. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1479/27

A possible match?

These cases where “few details are available” always make me wonder who is giving this information and how accurate the info is. Is the informer guessing? If so, then the similarity in the appearance and the height and weight could be close enough for someone to have guessed. Particularly with larger women…240 on 5’8 could look like 200 on 5’5. And dates have also been found to be the “reported date” not actual last seen date. The eyes are different colors but again, that can be subjective. My eyes that are officially "blue" have a brown ring around the center and can appear blue, blue-green, gray, and if one was going to be technical about it, might mention the brown or even notice the brown vs the blue, especially after death the blue may not be as noticeable.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/walters-pope_lorie.html

Does it say when the last time they were in contact with her was? Unfortunately, it is sort of a common name because I know of at least one missing person named Mary Anderson, but her vital statistics and circumstances don't match up with the woman found in Seattle. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1479/27

No that site doesn't even show when the post was created!

I do wonder about the weight of the UID. She doesn't look 'heavy' in the face at all.

No that site doesn't even show when the post was created!

I do wonder about the weight of the UID. She doesn't look 'heavy' in the face at all.

She may have carried more of it in the lower half of her body or something of that nature (sort of the opposite of Andrea from Huntington Beach (several posters have questioned her weight information the other way).

The consideration is did she REALLY have no family? She puts stress on this so it seems to indicate that maybe she felt like she really had no one left, maybe she had a recent loss of a lover, or a close friend, or even her last remaining relative (like an elderly parent?)?

But then again, why go away from home, and why hide your identity if there's no one to care? One thing that jumps to mind is maybe that her death would have benefited someone that she didn't want to benefit, so she decided to hide her death? Just brainstorming though.

The consideration is did she REALLY have no family? She puts stress on this so it seems to indicate that maybe she felt like she really had no one left, maybe she had a recent loss of a lover, or a close friend, or even her last remaining relative (like an elderly parent?)?

But then again, why go away from home, and why hide your identity if there's no one to care? One thing that jumps to mind is maybe that her death would have benefited someone that she didn't want to benefit, so she decided to hide her death? Just brainstorming though.

Conversely, maybe her saying that was a kind of reverse psychology thing?

Especially when she wrote "it's no one's fault"; that kind of makes me think that there is a reason for us to suspect it IS someone's fault (that probably makes no sense!) Example: You hear a crash from the next room, accompanied by your toddler-aged child shouting "I didn't do anything!" - it makes you think they did do something, right?

Also, I wrote in a previous post that I thought Mary Anderson had planned this elaborately disguised suicide because she was a fan of mystery novels, etc. I'm not sure that I think that anymore; in fact, the more I read about the case, the more I wonder if we are reading way too much into the small details. Why go to the trouble of leaving a fake name, at a hotel in a far-away city from your hometown, only to then leave subtle clues to your identity that may or may not be picked up on? (Like the maple leaves left of a specific page of the newspaper).

If she had family then they would certainly look for her. I can totally imagine a situation where a person is the last of their bloodline, especially a woman beyond her birthing years. Maybe she had buried her last living relative like a sister or brother.

I always come back to why wasn't Mary missed by some - one? Not family, not work mates, not room mates? It is only because she traveled so far away from her 'home' to commit suicide, and gave a false name? Or is there some other reason as to why she has not been claimed?

I know the autopsy showed she had never had children, but I don't know if they could tell whether she'd ever been pregnant but didn't carry the baby to term. I question how certain they can be about prior births because a doctor once asked me during a gynecological exam how many babies I'd had. I am 43 and have never been pregnant so that was an odd question. So I suppose your uterus could look as if you've had a baby or been pregnant even if you haven't???? Although I would think an actual autopsy would yield more conclusive results than an office exam. As someone else stated, she must have had a relationship at one time if she had an IUD. I would think if you were needing hormones for any other reason you would just take the pill. Maybe she really had no close family, none of her relationships had worked out, she was fired or layed off work, and she just gave up. It's a very sad story.

It's been a few years since I looked into this case with Websurfer. We really pounded this case back in the summer of 2010. Now that I'm done and graduated from college, I can get back into it. Glad to see though that this thread is still going strong.

I never even heard back from the King County Medical Examiner when she contacted me a few years ago. I'm thinking of contacting her again soon. At the time she said Mary Anderson's details and info would be put into NamUs, but I checked last night and still nothing. And still nothing in the system with missing persons matching her description.

In the meantime, I have designed a new web flyer for Mary Anderson. Please feel free to use this web flyer for electronic use and distribution for websites, social media, and be sure email it to family, friends, etc., and to have them forward it on, too.

This is a web flyer RGB jpg image and pdf only. Do not print it. It is for electronic use only and not intended for CMYK printing. The linked jpg image can be saved (right click of the mouse) or copied and pasted.

As of last night, I have tweeted the web flyer reaching out to the New York, East Coast region, Seattle, and even tweeted it to Estee Lauder mentioning the possibility that Mary Anderson could have been a former employee since they are headquartered in New York. And as of today, tweeted it to Dateline NBC and Keith Morrison. I encourage everyone to tweet and email this web flyer to their respective communities in which they live. Anything to get Mary Anderson's info out there.

Someone out there knows who Mary Anderson is. Someone out there is missing a loved one, or perhaps they do not know she is missing and deceased.

As of today, I also tweeted the new web flyer of Mary Anderson to Nightline, ABC 20/20, Elizabeth Vargas, and David Muir.

Hoping that any of them and their connections might find interest in doing a story and to help bring Mary Anderson home.

I listed the web flyer as a medium jpg image with Mary's photo on Craigslist's List for New Jersey along with details of the case. Too bad CL can't provide web links anymore, so I had to do with a smaller image.

I was going over my notes again and saw the following:

"The lot her Metamucil came from was shipped initially to Phoenix."

Time to start networking and distribute the web flyer to the Arizona region.

Hope your efforts payoff Kodiak in distributing flyers for 'Mary'.

Just want to highlight a comparison to 'Lyle Stevik' by outofthedark early on in the thread and add a few more -

When I reviewed this case, I thought it was strangely similar to the "Lyle Stevik" one

Similarities

- both checked into Washington hotels
- both committed suicide 2 days after they checked into the hotels
- both had surgeries at one time in their lives
- both gave adresses that were not their own (hers was non-exsistent, his was for a motel in Idaho)
- both paid for hotel rooms in cash
- both left notes

Author Mary Anderson lives/lived in Manhattan - same as the street address given by the UID - 132 East Third Street, New York. This author has a number of books dealing with family, relationships, shared experiences/hardships just as Joyce Carol Oates does in 'You Must Remember This'.

This has me wondering if 'Lyle' and 'Mary' had a shared passion for certain books. 'Lyle' could potentially be the son of a teenage 'Mary'. A strong bond could have existed while navigating life as 'Lyle' grew up.

I was surprised to see that 'as the crow flies' the Hotel Vintage Park is due east of Amanda Park. Not a perfectly straight line, but the next thing to it. A substantial detour is required to travel from one place to the other.

This has me wondering if 'Lyle' was looking for and found out what happened to 'Mary', then followed the same path?

Both have a possible link to Canada - 'Lyle's' speech pattern and the maple leaf found in 'Mary's' room had investigators wondering.

Both seemed at peace somehow with their decision to end their life. Imo, they made a careful plan and carried it out without frenzy or drawing attention to themselves. Did they share a past dark secret or experience they could not live with? Thinking out loud.

Hope your efforts payoff Kodiak in distributing flyers for 'Mary'.

Just want to highlight a comparison to 'Lyle Stevik' by outofthedark early on in the thread and add a few more -

Author Mary Anderson lives/lived in Manhattan - same as the street address given by the UID - 132 East Third Street, New York. This author has a number of books dealing with family, relationships, shared experiences/hardships just as Joyce Carol Oates does in 'You Must Remember This'.

This has me wondering if 'Lyle' and 'Mary' had a shared passion for certain books. 'Lyle' could potentially be the son of a teenage 'Mary'. A strong bond could have existed while navigating life as 'Lyle' grew up.

I was surprised to see that 'as the crow flies' the Hotel Vintage Park is due east of Amanda Park. Not a perfectly straight line, but the next thing to it. A substantial detour is required to travel from one place to the other.

This has me wondering if 'Lyle' was looking for and found out what happened to 'Mary', then followed the same path?

Both have a possible link to Canada - 'Lyle's' speech pattern and the maple leaf found in 'Mary's' room had investigators wondering.

Both seemed at peace somehow with their decision to end their life. Imo, they made a careful plan and carried it out without frenzy or drawing attention to themselves. Did they share a past dark secret or experience they could not live with? Thinking out loud.

Hi Woodland,

Yes, I, too, have pondered over the Lyle Stevik case with Mary Anderson's. Because of his alias used, the book is probably a crucial element and clue as to what was going on in his life at the time–something he connected with on a deep, emotional level. I've always wondered if Mary had done the same; her alias may be something from a book even though one wasn't ever found.

Could they have known each other? Perhaps. Anything regarding these two cases as linked could be possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717
Back