Found Safe WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
what bothers me is if AA's parents were so helpful and helped create the plan to send them to Mexico, why would they be so stupid as to send them in a car registered to the family and a cadillac at that?!?! Any chance that someone in the family (maybe the elder Aung's) owned a property in Mexico and had often driven over the border in that car?

Nadia's parents are making sure that the statements made about their daughter are positive so that she can have the future as a lawyer that they all dreamed of. Law schools probably don't love to admit students involved in international child kidnappers
Seraya's maternal grandmother did say in an interview there was a possibility the Aung's had relatives in Mexico, IIRC. MOO

<modsnip>

She was not a central figure in the criminal action of custodial interference.

I think if he was known to be abusive towards his wife and child, and took the child as punishment towards the wife and was abusive towards the baby while in Mexico, they probably would have detained NC and considered some kind of charges for her as well.

But she likely told LE that her boyfriend said his daughter was in danger while with her mom, and he was going to take her to safety---so she agreed to go along. <modsnip> that would be a solid justification and could be accepted by LE. [for HER, not for him because he broke the law because he defied a custodial court order---but she didn't.]

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO as someone who graduated from law school -- if she writes this up (or hires a private admissions consultant to help her write it up) into a fantastic personal essay about justice and her comprehension of that concept, and how she's grown, and how her professional goals were clarified by this experience and etc etc etc, there are still law schools that will be interested. Not all of them, but some have an admissions mission that is not strictly LSAT+GPA.

Nadia's parents are making sure that the statements made about their daughter are positive so that she can have the future as a lawyer that they all dreamed of. Law schools probably don't love to admit students involved in international child kidnappers
This whole story is about parents caring about their kids. Would it be a better world if they didn't?

If you look up Aaron on the Arizona Supreme Court database it says there is an extradition waiver and release conditions, however it won’t let you view them without paying for a subscription to their portal.

Attachments

• IMG_8138.jpeg
    IMG_8138.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 14
I never lost any sleep over this case and never thought the child was in any danger. The child is probably as attached to her dad and Nadia as she is to her mom and will be fine. I'm just curious how this will turn out. I think Nadia gets no charges and Aaron will have fines, court costs and supervised visitation for a long time.

Moo...Nadia is not a child
People in the 20s make mistakes. I'm sure her parents were very disappointed to be left at the airport and to find out where she had gone. However, they seem to be doing their best to make sure her mistake doesn't derail her life. I'd be doing the same thing if I were in their position.

People in the 20s make mistakes. I'm sure her parents were very disappointed to be left at the airport and to find out where she had gone. However, they seem to be doing their best to make sure her mistake doesn't derail her life. I'd be doing the same thing if I were in their position.
The Cole's seem like good parents. I'm sure Nadia's behavior weighed heavily on them, but we don't know what AA told her to convince her to flee with him and his toddler.

Samara has publicly stated that AA could be controlling and manipulative, and if he was with her, he may have been that way with NC, too.

The fact NC took off at the last minute makes me wonder if she really did want to go to Italy, but AA was pressuring her and she finally gave in.

Who knows? He may have made it sound as though it was a matter of life or death for Seraya. All the crappy stuff his family posted tells me he was trashing Samara to them and they bought into it.

I hope they all work it out and get past this very unfortunate event. Seraya needs both her parents, but from now on -- I think AA should only have supervised visits.

The Cole's seem like good parents.
MOO:
I'm thinking there are two aspect to this, reputational and legal.

The parents are sufficiently well off (the dad: "I'm a doctor!) to afford a private investigator to find their daughter and to be a buffer entity to deal with LE/social media/the press. Maybe the dad is sensitive to shielding his professional reputation as well. To me, it all makes very good sense if one has the financial resources. The last thing anyone wants who is trying to protect a reputation or just their personal privacy is for things to blow up and end up on Dateline or the cover of People magazine.

There is presumably at least one lawyer retained to insulate NC from unfortunate legal repercussions. IANAL, but it seems the "she's recovering from her ordeal...in a secure, private location" means that at least one lawyer will insulate her from dealing with any LE directly for interview requests or (worst case) an arrest warrant.

MOO: Alternately, NC could go rogue, ditch the lawyers, stand by her man (or not) and tell all. "Hello, Dateline? This is N______ C___. I wanna talk to Keith!"

I don't think she will end up being charged with anything. AA is the one that was breaking a legal custody order. She was along for the ride but wasn't part of the custody agreement. I think she might just squeak by.
I think she absolutely can be charged pursuant to RCW 9A.40.060 I think she should be, but probably won't be. MOO

RCW 9A.40.060

(3) A parent or other person acting under the directions of the parent is guilty of custodial interference in the first degree if the parent or other person intentionally takes, entices, retains, or conceals a child, under the age of eighteen years and for whom no lawful custody order or order making residential provisions for the child has been entered by a court of competent jurisdiction, from the other parent with intent to deprive the other parent from access to the child permanently or for a protracted period.

PDF version

MOO as someone who graduated from law school -- if she writes this up (or hires a private admissions consultant to help her write it up) into a fantastic personal essay about justice and her comprehension of that concept, and how she's grown, and how her professional goals were clarified by this experience and etc etc etc, there are still law schools that will be interested. Not all of them, but some have an admissions mission that is not strictly LSAT+GPA.
People get law degrees while still in prison- why not her if she isn't even charged?

Does anyone have a Trellis account?

Looks like before AA was even found, Samara had filed a petition for an order of protection (and there’s an order to surrender weapons?)

Does anyone have a Trellis account?

Looks like before AA was even found, Samara had filed a petition for an order of protection (and there’s an order to surrender weapons?)
Order to surrender weapons is probably standard IME and should not be viewed as a suggestion that there is knowledge this particular respondent has or would use a weapon. MOO

I think she absolutely can be charged pursuant to RCW 9A.40.060 I think she should be, but probably won't be. MOO

RCW 9A.40.060

(3) A parent or other person acting under the directions of the parent is guilty of custodial interference in the first degree if the parent or other person intentionally takes, entices, retains, or conceals a child, under the age of eighteen years and for whom no lawful custody order or order making residential provisions for the child has been entered by a court of competent jurisdiction, from the other parent with intent to deprive the other parent from access to the child permanently or for a protracted period.

PDF version
Reading this I don't see how NC could not be charged. Of course we don't know any details but presuming the 3 of them were together, NC would have to be insanely stupid to not understand they were unlawfully keeping Seraya from her mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SleuthyMcSnoop
Back