WA WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't hear any mudslinging in the interview. I found Shawna to be very measured in her discussion of her granddaughter.

Vinnie Politan says the Aung statement is "off-the-wall bonkers" and gives Shawna an opportunity to respond to the accusations. Shawna does not really take the bait and says:

"On a personal level, I don't want to say anything bad about Aaron. I don't think that this decision was a wise one. I don't think that it, I don't think they were in fear for Seraya uh she was definitely not in imminent danger from her mother or anyone on this side of the family. Um Aaron is very young, very impressionable. Um I do not think that he just decided to rescue his daughter from this made up terrible situation."

Regarding the March CPS report, there was just a scant mention of it in this interview, and unfortunately, Vinnie Politan didn't adequately follow up on it. So I really wouldn't feel comfortable having a discussion about it - I just don't know much from the interview. This is what was discussed:

Vinnie Politan: "Shawna, the accusation's out there. I wanted to give you an opportunity if you wanted to respond to that. Don't feel obligated whatever you're comfortable with."

Shawna: "I will say that it's very unfortunate that Samara's trauma is being used against her. Um her half brother is not around Seraya for obvious reasons. Um our entire family is very protective of the children in it. Um when Samara was victimized as a child, I'm the one that turned it in. I would not turn a blind eye to my granddaughter being molested, and she was displaying strange behaviors and saying things and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March. It was when she would come back from her father's house with weird infections and stuff and freaking out with diaper changes. That was never happening before.”

Vinnie Politan: “So you're saying what they're saying is, is they're basically gas lighting. They're, they're accusing your side of the family of what was happening when she was with the other side of the family.”

Shawna: “I don't know that. I know that I saw those behaviors too and I called Child Protective Services because I don't care who it was. I would want her safe from whoever it was no matter what. Um If they were seeing those things as well, they could have called too. I mean, I, I think that that's the right thing to do.”

The video is here:
Thank you Crimedawg for the additional details.

Which are even WEIRDER!! So she saw those weird behaviors. Which just so happened to match the exact same behaviors the Aungs noticed. And she’s admitting she isn’t sure who is causing the behaviors, basically admitting that it might not be the Aungs responsible, even alluding that it might be her daughter or the company she keeps. ?!?!?! Oh my. And I still want to know what Samara knew! Did she even know her mother called CPS?

This is a major problem for me. For over two weeks we were told by bio mom and family that since the custody agreement last year everything had been going fine. And we were told that bio mom and family were completely blindsided by the sudden disappearance and they had absolutely no idea why it happened, all the while alluding that it was some UNPROMPTED evil vendetta against Samara for no reason. All the while policing social media especially the Facebook group where they are with hands out begging for donations every day.

Now we find out that is not actually true. That there is a clear possible motive for suddenly going missing.

I feel especially horrible for Samara if she was kept in the dark about the CPS call, even if she was somehow complicit in Seraya’s strange behaviors. I’m really just at a loss right now as to what to think about all this!

I didn't hear any mudslinging in the interview. I found Shawna to be very measured in her discussion of her granddaughter.

Vinnie Politan says the Aung statement is "off-the-wall bonkers" and gives Shawna an opportunity to respond to the accusations. Shawna does not really take the bait and says:

"On a personal level, I don't want to say anything bad about Aaron. I don't think that this decision was a wise one. I don't think that it, I don't think they were in fear for Seraya uh she was definitely not in imminent danger from her mother or anyone on this side of the family. Um Aaron is very young, very impressionable. Um I do not think that he just decided to rescue his daughter from this made up terrible situation."

Regarding the March CPS report, there was just a scant mention of it in this interview, and unfortunately, Vinnie Politan didn't adequately follow up on it. So I really wouldn't feel comfortable having a discussion about it - I just don't know much from the interview. This is what was discussed:

Vinnie Politan: "Shawna, the accusation's out there. I wanted to give you an opportunity if you wanted to respond to that. Don't feel obligated whatever you're comfortable with."

Shawna: "I will say that it's very unfortunate that Samara's trauma is being used against her. Um her half brother is not around Seraya for obvious reasons. Um our entire family is very protective of the children in it. Um when Samara was victimized as a child, I'm the one that turned it in. I would not turn a blind eye to my granddaughter being molested, and she was displaying strange behaviors and saying things and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March. It was when she would come back from her father's house with weird infections and stuff and freaking out with diaper changes. That was never happening before.”

Vinnie Politan: “So you're saying what they're saying is, is they're basically gas lighting. They're, they're accusing your side of the family of what was happening when she was with the other side of the family.”

Shawna: “I don't know that. I know that I saw those behaviors too and I called Child Protective Services because I don't care who it was. I would want her safe from whoever it was no matter what. Um If they were seeing those things as well, they could have called too. I mean, I, I think that that's the right thing to do.”

The video is here:
BBM
It seems to me we can't know if there was mud-slinging on Shawna's part because we do not know the truth of her statement that the child was "displaying strange behaviors and saying things and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March. It was when she would come back from her father's house with weird infections and stuff and freaking out with diaper changes. That was never happening before.”

If what she said was true, that she did see those things only after the child was at AA's house (and she implied it happened more than once) it's not mud-slinging. If it's not true, yet she went on TV to say it was true, it's mud-slinging. People can choose to believe her or not. But we really have no evidence either way nor do we know if CPS was called. It's not like CPS is going to publicly document whether they were called and by whom!
MOO

@Knox
Thank you :) for your edit as seen below,
to my selection for Post of the Day.
It's an improvement.
Not just "poor choices," but "illegal actions."

********** POST of the DAY *********
"This entire situation imo is a whirling mass of good intentions mixed with illegal actions."
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but what good intentions are we talking about?

Not trying to be a smarty pants, but what good intentions are we talking about?
@abanddb123 Good question.

The post I originally referred to favorably ---
"This entire situation imo is a whirling mass of good intentions mixed with poor choices."---
was posted Friday.

Early on, seemed (imo & to some here) that the
initial missing person situation (dad & baby) may have developed from some simple miscommunication.

That was BEFORE (much of) family BAD-MOUTHING & court involvement re custody, surfaced. <---imo

Now clearly more than miscommunication. Glad you asked.

Not reading your post as being smarty pants. :)

Wow. Nobody seems to want to discuss the March CPS report? Interesting.
i feel like it’s such a sensitive topic, maybe others feel differently, but it doesn’t feel right for me to speculate on, definitely as long as it’s vague accusations from both sides. just my opinion of course! regardless of what has and hasn’t happened it will now always be connected to seraya’s name whenever future classmates, friends, employers, dates etc. look her up on google (on the assumption that she will be returned home safely and still has a whole future ahead of her)

Shawna: "I will say that it's very unfortunate that Samara's trauma is being used against her. Um her half brother is not around Seraya for obvious reasons. Um our entire family is very protective of the children in it. Um when Samara was victimized as a child, I'm the one that turned it in. I would not turn a blind eye to my granddaughter being molested, and she was displaying strange behaviors and saying things and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March.

Shawna — notably — did not deny the accusation the Aungs made against her son. In fact, she pretty much confirms it.

She claims to be the one who “turned it in.” I’m not sure what that means, but I did not find him on any SO registry. Perhaps he was a minor when it occurred?

Side note, it looks like he was arrested a few days ago (for something unrelated).

I wonder how true it is that he is “not around Seraya.” Like, ever? It seems they do have a relationship with him . . .

"displaying strange behaviors and saying things and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March. It was when she would come back from her father's house with weird infections and stuff and freaking out with diaper changes. That was never happening before.”

OMG this is how this all started. And explains so much of the weird behavior! How did this take two weeks to come out?

The abduction is about this accusation against Aaron’s side, which likely prompted CPS inquiry. And the Family statement and YouTube videos are defending against this without ever mentioning it.

That’s why the family statement talks about the mom‘s filthy living with dirty diapers everywhere. That there’s rape and incest on the mom’s side. That they are checked out druggies. That mom always lies and switches people in her stories.

Because there’s a serious accusation against Aaron’s side submitted to CPS!

That’s why Nadia would choose this “righteous mission.” “My ex is accusing me of horrible things against my daughter and I’m going to lose her forever!! we have to do something!!”

Oh Nadia, what if Shawna’s accusations are true?! How you should have chosen to go to Italy instead of getting right in the center of this horrible mess!

Last edited:
Because there’s a serious accusation against Aaron submitted to CPS!
I don’t think we know the accusation is against Aaron specifically? Could be someone else in his life who is frequently around Seraya . . . *if* it’s even true.

But I do agree that all the mudslinging looks mighty deflective in this new light.

I didn't hear any mudslinging on Shawna's part.
I think this is the phrase in question:

"I would not turn a blind eye to my granddaughter being molested. And, she was displaying strange behaviors and saying things, and I actually called Child Protective Services because of that back in March. It was when she would come back from her father's house with weird infections and stuff, and freaking out with diaper changes that was never happening before."

Do you think the idea to take the child originated with Aaron or his mother? Would anything happen to her legally if the crime was her idea? MOO
All MOO -- but I would hazard a guess that his mother (and family) are behind it.

I sense a real Hatfields and McCoys relationship between the two families.

<snipped for focus>I’m really just at a loss right now as to what to think about all this!
Same. I don't know what to believe. But I feel like we're getting off topic and none of that is particularly relevant at the moment.

Seraya was illegally taken. There is no defense for what Aaron has done. None. He needs to bring her home and let the authorities work out what is best for that little girl.

I'm curious if grandmother Shawna provided daycare for Seraya while her daughter worked. If she were around Seraya all day everyday, she'd be be very aware of changed behaviors and Seraya's overall well being.

I’m now extremely concerned if this turns out to be true — Seraya would then be with her abuser and no escape from that situation. We have no idea how involved Nadia is. In a sense, I kind of hope it IS mudslinging! This whole scenario would be ten times worse if this WAS happening at her father’s house. Such an enraging series of events.
ALL MOO.

TO be fair i believe her when she states she has nothing to do with him. That seems normal. And also, the fact that the Aungs did air out mother's trauma, to me , is dispicable and shows their character.

There is nothing that even suggests to me the Aung family is doing anything for this little girl, kidnapping a child and disappearing from your family at the airport has no iota of care or love for the child. It is a selfish illegal and traumatizing thing for so many. And his parents seem to be the puppetmasters.

<modsnip> Imo, given their behaviour, if there's any child abuse happening it's by the Aungs, NOT the mother. Jmo, moo
I don't have a good feeling one way or the other, but I think it's pretty odd that the Aungs were able to produce all the documentation about Samara right after Aaron's and Seraya's disappearance. That would have taken some time and research to obtain.

MOO, but that makes me feel as though they may have been gathering that information before the disappearance, so they'd have it ready. Just so odd.

I've know a couple of families that were very clannish--to the extent that I think they would do virtually anything to get their way.

I don't know what's happening here -- I'm surprised a custodial abduction (if that's what it is) is drawing so much national attention.

All the whacky things we're hearing just add fuel to the fire.

I hope she's found soon. And, Nadia. I hope she's found as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Nobody seems to want to discuss the March CPS report? Interesting.

If that really happened, I wonder if Shawna did it on her own, or if anyone else knew or participated, including Samara?

I wonder if it had been investigated and closed, or if CPS had just started to investigate and that’s what set off the panic and the fleeing?

Regardless, I knew from day one that there had to be a lot more to the story. And I’m willing to bet there is a lot more. It made zero sense that if all was going well with the custody agreement, and both parents were in new relationships, it makes no sense for Aaron and Nadia to just take off with the baby like that and completely disrupt their lives.
I hve no problem discussing the March CPS report. I find it extremely relevant given the self serving Aung family statement and the allegations around diapering and rashes. If Samara's mother did indeed report concerns around behavior changes of Seraya after having visits with her father I find it very relevant to the scenerio at hand.

I believe Samara's mother. I have no reason not to. I believe she had geniune concerns that something was happening to create the baby's new behaviors. I believe her when she says she noticed these changes most after visits with Aung. I also believe her when she says that the person who abused Samara is not allowed around and that she herself is who reported that SA circumstance years ago. Finally I believe her when she says she wanted to protect baby even if she didn't know who might be responsible if there was some form of abuse. Even if that person turned out to be her own daughter.

MOO this only serves to further Samara's case and not Aungs. JMO MOO the mileage of others may vary

Last edited:
I do see your point. I agree that we don't know the whole story. But we also don't know that the grandmother actually withheld any information. We can only hope that they have talked with LE and told them everything they know.

Even if Aaron saved Seraya from a horrible environment or even saved her life, he still has broken the law and most likely now given up whatever parental rights he enjoyed. He gave up having Seraya's best interests in mind. He may have had a valid defense in protecting Seraya from imminent danger, but that train has left the station.
ITA! The Aung family appears to be educated and they seem to believe they wield power in their community - enough anyway that they are comfortable revealing the bio mom’s past trauma in a sick attempt to gain sympathy for their outlaw son.

So which set of grandparents have Seraya’s best interests? The ones making claims in a public statement without producing evidence or the grandma who became suspicious after witnessing odd behavior from Seraya’s visits to her dad… and reported it to CPS?

If the Aungs are so confident in their accusations why didn’t they also report it?

It was bio dad who went on the run with an innocent child, not bio mom. For that matter it was his parents, not he who are pointing fingers. To me it smacks of desperation to escape from a possible investigation more than saving Seraya.

Who the heck chooses to drag a baby into a life of subterfuge and possibly living rough in order to evade authorities? How is that a better life for Seraya? All dad had to do was call his attorney to delve into potential abuse. Why run?

If information comes out to support abuse in mom’s home I’ll certainly change my opinion but in the meantime it’s the dad who’s breaking the law and putting his daughter through a difficult time. That implies guilt.
MOO

<modsnip> Imo, given their behaviour, if there's any child abuse happening it's by the Aungs, NOT the mother. Jmo, moo
I have a feeling there are problems on both sides. Which just makes me sad for the little one. What will become of her in this mess the adults in her life have made for her? It’s just bad for her all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member