WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the currents, as I know some people are questioning if/how they could have drowned in waist-deep water. Are there any undertows in that area? I know that on Rockaway Beach in Queens, here in NY, there are several drowning deaths every summer, with people being pulled into currents/undertows in water that is only up to their knees or waists. I'm really not familiar with the Pacific Northwest - have only been there once, to Seattle - and don't know anything about what the water is like. So is this a possibility, locals?

On another topic, I also think the fiance's whole cancer thing is pretty weird. From what I read, SS recently had a cancer scare which turned out to be a false alarm, and now the fiance thinks HE has cancer based on symptoms he looked up on the internet? What's with that? Pretty strange to even bring it up. And if he's that concerned, why hasn't he gone to a doctor? He's obviously not in 'denial' about it if he's willing to broadcast it all over the national media.

And finally, I want to thank Eyes4Crime for all the valuable info you have provided based on your work as a pharmacist. You've taught me a lot!

If I were the homeowner that heard the banging, I would be checking my property. I know dogs apparently didn't pick up a scent, but dogs searched for Sarah Rogers (thread here) and she ended up being found 1/2 mile from her car. With the amount of days that has passed it does not look good.

That makes sense.

Also, the only person's phone number I know off the top of my head is my father's. I store all the others in my cell phone and in the last few years everyone I know (except my dad) has switch to cell phone only or phone service via internet. I've not bothered to memorize their new #s. I've just save them in my cell.

Bingo! I don't have at least 3/4 of the numbers stored in my cell or even landline committed to memory as I don't need to, and if I were stressed (and in this case for whatever reason no in my right mind), I'm pretty sure the first number(s) I'd be calling were the only ones I could pull out of my tired old brain. The phones already know all that info from being programmed once, why on earth clutter up my head with that data when I can use it for something else.

Silly smart phones.

Well, the shoes being hers, and the inhaler the sons, I would go with they ended up in the water. The things were prob in the rear of the van, thats why the hatch was open. She would take the child's inhaler.

I will repost the links/ pictures:

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

That is not even a road! Makes no sense she would have found this in the dark, let alone drive down there not knowing where it would lead and what condition it was in. :confused:

I have a question about the currents, as I know some people are questioning if/how they could have drowned in waist-deep water. Are there any undertows in that area? I know that on Rockaway Beach in Queens, here in NY, there are several drowning deaths every summer, with people being pulled into currents/undertows in water that is only up to their knees or waists. I'm really not familiar with the Pacific Northwest - have only been there once, to Seattle - and don't know anything about what the water is like. So is this a possibility, locals?

On another topic, I also think the fiance's whole cancer thing is pretty weird. From what I read, SS recently had a cancer scare which turned out to be a false alarm, and now the fiance thinks HE has cancer based on symptoms he looked up on the internet? What's with that? Pretty strange to even bring it up. And if he's that concerned, why hasn't he gone to a doctor? He's obviously not in 'denial' about it if he's willing to broadcast it all over the national media.

And finally, I want to thank Eyes4Crime for all the valuable info you have provided based on your work as a pharmacist. You've taught me a lot!

No the puget sound is not like the ocean. We do have strong currents at the Mouth of the inlets with the tide changes but not in a cove.

There hasn't been a death in that area from drowning or otherwise related to the water since 1848. (And a whale.)

I cannot find anything indicating a strong undercurrent in that area.

Watching those videos of her and her son and her trying to touch his head in the store as if he is mad at her, makes me really angry. She is obviously drunk as she is just standing there in the store swaying back and forth, she buys a jug of wine. I am angry that she put her child through this. I now believe she purposely drove onto that beach in her drunken state - maybe event thought it was fun and was trying to convince her son to go swimming - I have experience with alcoholics and they come up with crazy things when they are drunk.

My heart is aching for that child. I am convinced they are in the water. Maybe that poor kid went in after her.

I am so angry. My aunt is a severe alcoholic and used to do crazy things when I was a kid and I remember that feeling of being a child and trying to take care of an adult so that she didn't hurt herself.

IMO

I

I'm on the exact same page as you. I feel badly for SS, and I truly hope her and her adorable son are found safe and sound, but her behavior angers me. I'm truly a 'live and let live' kind of person. I could care less what an adult does in their own time and in their home - I don't care if one chooses to take drugs, illegal or legal, or drink alcohol, it's one's own choice - SO LONG as they aren't harming anyone else. But once you make the decision to have a child, and take responsibility for that child, well that is a completely different story. The child's well-being and safety comes first! No exceptions! Again, I don't judge how someone else wants to live their life, but when children are involved their safety must come first. I can't stand to think how scared little Azriel must have been/must be, the terror involved in a situation like this. It breaks my heart.

Somewhere in this discussion (maybe previous thread, can't find it now) there is a photo of the road leading to the area the van was found , but it looks to be a private driveway (house nearby) with a narrow path/road to the right of the driveway leading down to the water...there was a red arrow pointing out this narrow road. How would she even find that small road and why would she attempt to navigate it not knowing where it leads? Makes no sense to me. I don't think she is the one that drove to that location, at least not on her own. This is one very strange disappearance. I hope they are found safe very soon.

Because she was drunk and didn't know what she was doing. When a person is drunk they do things normal sober people don't do. I have a lot of experience with drunks and I feel so bad for her son as I am sure he was scared and maybe telling her to stop. I can only hope he was asleep and didn't know what was happening.

Shantina was drinking and HAD TO HAVE crashed - maybe she fell asleep in the car maybe her son drove the car into the water. Maybe she became emotional and wanted to kill herself and went into the water on her own and maybe he went to save her.

There is no doubt in my mind that she was drunk and I don't believe anyone took them or hurt them. This is very sad.

IMHO

Wow, thanks for the picture of the road she went down, MTrooper! That's completely different than I pictured it. I imagined a regular dirt road, but that is more like a glorified walking path. Now I do wonder what she was thinking going down there in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar area - I would have been terrified and completely spooked. Was there anywhere else for her to turn around on this road before reaching the water? Where did she expect to end up, driving on a "road" like this?

If I were the homeowner that heard the banging, I would be checking my property. I know dogs apparently didn't pick up a scent, but dogs searched for Sarah Rogers (thread here) and she ended up being found 1/2 mile from her car. With the amount of days that has passed it does not look good.

Yes indeedy as would I, and well armed as well, but probably after calling 911. Not real clear from the little they quoted from the homeowners just how much looking they did. Merely looked out the windows? Stuck nose out a door? Actually went outside and looked around?

As for the dogs, who knows how good. Plus there was a big windstorm in Puget Sound on the 16th accompanied by what looks to have been a fair amount of rain per the Nat'l Weather Service. Would not make it any easier for those dogs.

Nor would it have been any fun for anybody stuck out in that weather. I truly pray they got out of that van OK and found an unoccupied home to break into, and that she's hunkered down in total embarrassment (or fear) over having killed her fiance's van by dumping it into the Sound. If it were a home with no active cable or phone, which would be highly likely if unoccupied, there is a slim but not real likely chance that could be the case.

I'm on the exact same page as you. I feel badly for SS, and I truly hope her and her adorable son are found safe and sound, but her behavior angers me. I'm truly a 'live and let live' kind of person. I could care less what an adult does in their own time and in their home - I don't care if one chooses to take drugs, illegal or legal, or drink alcohol, it's one's own choice - SO LONG as they aren't harming anyone else. But once you make the decision to have a child, and take responsibility for that child, well that is a completely different story. The child's well-being and safety comes first! No exceptions! Again, I don't judge how someone else wants to live their life, but when children are involved their safety must come first. I can't stand to think how scared little Azriel must have been/must be, the terror involved in a situation like this. It breaks my heart.

It doesn't even look like he is scared. He looks sad and disappointed.

I said the similar thing quite a few pages back, and a few took offense to it.I totally agree with what you are saying.It sounded hopeful when someone heard banging on their home, but by now if either of them could get help they would. And if it was them and they didn't get help, perhaps they went back to the van to sleep. What happened I do not know, but I think they are in the water, jmo

Because she was drunk and didn't know what she was doing. When a person is drunk they do things normal sober people don't do. I have a lot of experience with drunks and I feel so bad for her son as I am sure he was scared and maybe telling her to stop. I can only hope he was asleep and didn't know what was happening.

Shantina was drinking and HAD TO HAVE crashed - maybe she fell asleep in the car maybe her son drove the car into the water. Maybe she became emotional and wanted to kill herself and went into the water on her own and maybe he went to save her.

There is no doubt in my mind that she was drunk and I don't believe anyone took them or hurt them. This is very sad.

IMHO

Logic goes out the window and to think anything else is a form of denial. Nobody really knows if he/she has a genetic pre-disposition for addiction - not until the first drink or dose of Vicodin or Oxycontin is consumed, and for many that is one pill or drink too late. MOO

And I completely agree with you - this is very SAD!

Another thing that totally baffles me is what she would have told Az about leaving the corn dog. He had to have been upset by that and wondered why. But for some reason, she had to leave.

Did she see a police officer, someone she knew?

She was driving around that 10 mile radius in Olympia for several hours. What was she waiting for?

Also possible, she was meeting someone there and because she forgot her cell phone she was hanging out in that area to find them. Maybe she saw them and tried to catch up to them.

If I were the police, I would be looking up all of the calls from every payphone during that time period to see who was called.

Another thing that totally baffles me is what she would have told Az about leaving the corn dog. He had to have been upset by that and wondered why. But for some reason, she had to leave.

Did she see a police officer, someone she knew?

She was driving around that 10 mile radius in Olympia for several hours. What was she waiting for?

Also possible, she was meeting someone there and because she forgot her cell phone she was hanging out in that area to find them. Maybe she saw them and tried to catch up to them.

If I were the police, I would be looking up all of the calls from every payphone during that time period to see who was called.

Leaving the corn dog was baffling me too. But then I thought of my own small kids: I could easily picture myself ordering something I thought they'd like and them flatly refusing it, not liking it suddenly that day! So she might have left it and taken him to the next stop to get something different, before getting lost again and ending up getting pizza for him while they were at the Williams'.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2059376&id=1201642426#!/photo.php?pid=31188069&id=1201642426

Check out RS Facebook photos. The Feb 2010 trip to the gorge. In the first picture SS is drinking a beer. Why would he say she had a relapse due to his medical issues. Its obvious to me she never did stop drinking. He also belongs to wine clubs and has pictures from what looks like a winery.

Something is not right here.

Oh my gosh...for a 'relapse' they look like they are having a pretty good time! Interesting side note: he just made this photos viewable to non-friends. Yesterday/day before (can't remember) it said the photos were private. Why would he do that and leave that photo?? I try to click on that photo and can't view it though. But I do see the beer from the thumbnail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly