WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it ever confirmed that she had an overnight bag? The only quote I read was the BF saying that he wasn't sure if she had one but that she usually took a bag like that on similar trips. Just curious.

As for the wallet in the car, my guess is she didn't put the wallet back in her purse after the last stop. But when exiting the vehicle, she forgot about that fact and just grabbed her purse.

Somewhere in this discussion (maybe previous thread, can't find it now) there is a photo of the road leading to the area the van was found , but it looks to be a private driveway (house nearby) with a narrow path/road to the right of the driveway leading down to the water...there was a red arrow pointing out this narrow road. How would she even find that small road and why would she attempt to navigate it not knowing where it leads? Makes no sense to me. I don't think she is the one that drove to that location, at least not on her own. This is one very strange disappearance. I hope they are found safe very soon.

I have been reading and trying to catch up with this thread. There are a lot of posts. These are some things I jotted down while trying to catch up:

1. Going to see step-dad, whom she had not seen in 4 years since her mother committed suicide

2. I don’t think the van was backed into the water. Can someone provide a link where that was stated? It looks like from the tracks she could have been trying to turn around; front tires got stuck in mud, so they exited the van from the rear hatch.

3. It was said earlier on the inside of the van was wet. The tide was out around the time she would have been there. Tide could have come in after they vacated the van causing the inside to get wet and items to go into the water.

4. Seen on surveillance purchasing wine from Safeway – same wine that washed up on shore. She could have been looking for somewhere to park and drink or sober up, which is why the van was where it was found. Half the bottle was gone.

5. Is there an updated timeline and map like was done here earlier on, to include the 1 am banging on the house (and location)
Silverdale, WA
B- Handy Pantry Market 7:50 PM
C- Martin Way Diner (corn Dog) 9:00 PM
D- Gull Harbor Merchantile 9:55 PM
E- Dennis Williams House (used phone)-10:10 PM
F- Home of Jim Pribbenow- guy who found car on his beach 10:00 AM Sunday
G- New Castle WA, home of her step-father

6. It seems she was disoriented before the first stop at Handy Pantry Market. That was out of the way if she was traveling south on I-5. Maybe an accident prior to stopping. I don't think it was with another vehicle because the other party probably would have come forward by now. I believe she could have hit/run into something and hit her head on the steering wheel. Her son said she hit her head.
7. She made purchases throughout the night so it seems she had her wallet with her the entire time. I think when they exited the van (because it was stuck), she grabbed her purse and her wallet fell out.
8. I think I read she purchased the wine just before 8, and the waitress at the diner said she seemed drunk at around 9 pm.

BBM correction to that -- Castle Rock, not Newcastle

plus Safeway on Harrison at 8:02 pm

Children sizes come from 0 to 13, then they start 1,2,3,... and on.

So, a 13 would be a childrens size.

Both shoes in the picture oxfords, black, and with laces. Not sure of the brand but both look extremely alike.

Odd to see a mom and son wearing the same shoes.

When LE was quoted in one article as saying "He has been extremely cooperative," they also said he's been "shuttling back and forth from county to county on his motorcycle getting materials to help with the investigation." I'd think he must have been home at least once, if only to get items for scent purposes.

Two days ago I don't know where I read it, Thurston County LE called Kitsap County LE to do a welfare check at the couples home. This was the first day RS spent in Seattle. His Duaghter twittered she was grateful to the scouting family that brought them clean clothes. Why wouldn't you have someone at the house just in case? To those not familiar with PNW Seattle is a an hour from Silverdale by Ferry and even further from Olympia by ground.

Children sizes come from 0 to 13, then they start 1,2,3,... and on.

So, a 13 would be a childrens size.

Both shoes in the picture oxfords, black, and with laces. Not sure of the brand but both look extremely alike.

Odd to see a mom and son wearing the same shoes.

My son is 7 and he wears about a 13 (depends on the shoe). So that's about the right size for an 8-yr-old.

Somewhere in this discussion (maybe previous thread, can't find it now) there is a photo of the road leading to the area the van was found , but it looks to be a private driveway (house nearby) with a narrow path/road to the right of the driveway leading down to the water...there was a red arrow pointing out this narrow road. How would she even find that small road and why would she attempt to navigate it not knowing where it leads? Makes no sense to me. I don't think she is the one that drove to that location, at least not on her own. This is one very strange disappearance. I hope they are found safe very soon.

That's true. It was a narrow road, then got more narrow about a couple hundred feet down to the beach.

The only thing is that hey completely fingerprinted the van, etc and from I understand have not found any indication that anyone else was in the car.

When LE was quoted in one article as saying "He has been extremely cooperative," they also said he's been "shuttling back and forth from county to county on his motorcycle getting materials to help with the investigation." I'd think he must have been home at least once, if only to get items for scent purposes.

Oh, Ok. I thought the scent purposes items were gathered from the van, or he already had them handy inside a backpack or something.

Though, having records of him calling home to make sure she was or wasn't there night or morning would prove to us doubters that he was really looking for them.

I will repost the links/ pictures:

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

I will repost the links/ pictures:

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

This is a great photo. The road is right there to walk up. It's a couple hundred feet from the house. Makes no sense at all for them to go a mile the other way and knock on a random door.

BBM correction to that -- Castle Rock, not Newcastle

plus Safeway on Harrison at 8:02 pm

Do we know if it is the Safeway at 3205 Harrison or 3215 Harrison? I found both in yellow pages.

itemsfound2.jpg

Robb Simmons said of the items found on the beach, he recognized the orange plastic ball, a small black shoe, and an asthma inhaler.

"We heard banging on the side of the house," said Rachel Grimmer about the sounds outside her house at 1 a.m. Sunday Morning. "It just kind of startled us because no one is ever out here, never ever see anyone out here at night."

But the incident was significant to authorities. It happened three hours after Smiley and her son disappeared, and possibly, after the van went into the water.

"It tells us they did not wash out in Dana Passage, and this may not be water related at all," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35933696/

Another theory that just came to mind since a lot of the crime analysts are saying they think she went there to meet someone:

She connected with someone after making the call at 10 (she seems to have stayed within a 10 mile radius since just before 8pm). They followed her to the beach. She grabbed her things, and walked back up the hill to meet them.

Just maybe? kind of far fetched...It would not explain the inhaler though and why they did not bring it with them.

He didn't say on his webpage.

He says he was called by the Thurston Sheriff's department, while he was having lunch.

My question is... he spent half of the night and the morning looking for her from Olympia to Castle Rock.

YET, did he call her number at home, or cellphone... in case she went back home?

Did he drive back to Silverdale (at least once) to see if she got home and maybe was ill, or something was off at home?

Did he call anyone in Silverdale to see if she had made it there? After all, he drove around Olympia half the night and in the morning. That's just an hour from Silverdale. He could've bothered to check.

Has he been calling home to Silverdale to see if SOMEHOW she made it home?

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father’s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok. We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road.

I'd like to know when they were reported missing.

Because she knew his number and per early story, she had tried her fiance first, but since his phone was dead by then....you go to whatever number you know and call frequently.

Not sure why she wouldn't call the place she was heading, but I don't recall an article where she called RS first (from the house). In any case, it still makes no sense to call the Grandfather.

Do we know if it is the Safeway at 3205 Harrison or 3215 Harrison? I found both in yellow pages.

3205. It's basically a Safeway gas station with quick stop mart.

Home where banging was heard is at 8520 Island View Dr, just a bit NE of Zangle.

no scents found at the Grimmers(?) house... or around it? Correct...

But yet they are saying that they heard someone knocking on the garage door at 1am... When did they come foward? After the news of the van hit the media?....

something isnt sitting well with me when it comes to the grimmers...

1) The wanted to be on tv..

or they did call the cops when they heard someone?(did I see that somewhere?)

2) they know where that boy and the mother is..

I just don't understand where they come into the mix..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member