WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole case is so unbelievable I feel like it was written by Hollywood writers. Just bazaar and unbelievable.

This detail has probably been posted, but I didn't see it. Haven't been able to keep up completely. Very, very sad for Azriel. Looks like mom was drinking after all.

Police on Wednesday confirmed to KIRO 7 that a wine bottle, like the one Smiley purchased, was found washed up on the beach overnight. It was capped, unbroken and half empty.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/22881089/detail.html

Its odd this heavy wine bottle ended up down the beach, but her wallet remained in the vehicle.

This is so tragic. Im heartbroken for this little boy. I hope we find out how this could have happen.

I had to make cupcakes for my grandson class. I made 40 just in case. So I told my daughter and she said 40?? He has only 6 in his class. I wanted to break down and cry right there. I couldn't tell her well im upset. They have little Azriel's body today. She would have thrown out my computer. To many children, just to many we get involved with on here. Its so depressing.

IMO, If his tshirt was pulled over his head, it sounds like he was trying to save his mom. This is just so very sad!

IMO, If his tshirt was pulled over his head, it sounds like he was trying to save his mom. This is just so very sad!

I am wondering where his coat/jacket is. I may have missed it but does anyone know if it was found in the mini van? The tshirt over the head bothers me. Not sure why.

Does anyone know anymore about the claim that the Sheriff diving team trucks are on Harborview Dr in Gig Harbor? Is it related?

I wish people would go with the instincts and call the police when people seem out of sorts. If she appeared drunk and had a child with her, they should of called police. I know this is not anyone else's fault, but PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO GET INVOLVED instead of being like, oh it's none of my business. It just irritates me to no end!!! If I see something that does not seem right, I call it into authorities. People should not have to disappear or die before people get involved. Later, a person will be like, oh I saw this...Well report it before something bad happens and save the children!!

I feel so bad to see that little guys body has been found

IF you try to "report" things like that you will get NO help...and you might get sued ! There is no way to "hold" her...that could result in charges against you

Frankly while she was no doubt drunk/high or whatever, she didn't look truly impaired in those pictures

as for the family who let her use the phone/gave the pizza....I would not have answered the door....and I doubt most smart people would.

It is so easy to monday morning quarterback JMO

really the people who need to step up and do something are family members....why was she allowed to drive the van when she had just relapsed?>? Too bad our mental health system is so broken that we no longer have rehabs available unless one is a movie or recording star

I am wondering where his coat/jacket is. I may have missed it but does anyone know if it was found in the mini van? The tshirt over the head bothers me. Not sure why.

Yes its very weird.

He may have taken his jacket and shoes off to sleep. I do not think his t-shirt would have been pulled over his head by the current, but it is possible, maybe!

I feel so bad to see that little guys body has been found

IF you try to "report" things like that you will get NO help...and you might get sued ! There is no way to "hold" her...that could result in charges against you

Frankly while she was no doubt drunk/high or whatever, she didn't look truly impaired in those pictures

as for the family who let her use the phone/gave the pizza....I would not have answered the door....and I doubt most smart people would.

It is so easy to monday morning quarterback JMO

really the people who need to step up and do something are family members....why was she allowed to drive the van when she had just relapsed?>? Too bad our mental health system is so broken that we no longer have rehabs available unless one is a movie or recording star

Perfect example of why things go unreported..... For example where I live, a guy pulled out a gun and shot into a field, so I called police.....SHould I not of because I don't know what he was shooting at????

THere is nothing wrong with reporting that someone looks impaired or falling on their way to the vehicle because they appear impaired....

Bars can get fined if someone is too drunk and they keep serving them...SHould they keep serving them because they do not want to get sued??

I just heard the news about little Azriel. So very sad & tragic. My condolences to the family & friends, and everyone who loves him.

In trying to understand what happened, I was wondering if Shantina may have wandered into the water in a sleepy, intoxicated stupor and Az tried to go in after her to bring her back to shore, and they both got swept out into the current. It was an extremely dark night - moon visibility was at 3%. Add that with the frigid water (40 degrees or so), the possible alcohol consumption, and it sounds like a likely scenario, IMO.

I believe it was posted that she had been taking anti-anxiety meds. I've read many stories over the years that if someone ceases certain meds (like Paxil or Prozac) too abruptly, their brain chemistry can be severely altered. Our resident pharmacist, Eyes4crime, also posted about the dangers of mixing certain meds with alcohol.

I was hoping for a different outcome - hoping that maybe she was just hiding out somewhere, afraid to say "Here we are" because of the "relapse" & driving the van into the water. Afraid to face the music just yet.

So very sad.

I still am curious as to where the purse and overnight bag is. Maybe their weight made them sink. But it seems they would have sunk closer and would have been found in the initial search with the equipment.

Water is very powerful. It can completely remove clothing from a body. I think the bodies of many drowning victims have their swimsuits stripped from their bodies when they are found.

It really upsets me that the news and RS is saying she only relapsed a week ago. When clearly in this photo she is having a beer in Feb with RS on a getaway. I'm surprised she bought the wine in front of Az unless he was used to seeing her do that...

Why would RS let her drink if he knew her problem - especially if he knew her problem and how bad it was to announce it to the nation...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31188069&id=1201642426

Awful...

For alcoholics, sobriety must be their first priority..even above their family, their kids...for without their sobriety their family has nothing and their kids are in danger, certain emotional problems and possible physical danger

look how many times people burn down a house in a drunken stupor, drive drunk and kill or mail people...it is so sad

The fact that she was drinking before is just another thing that points to the fact the poor fiancee was in "denial" and probably running around trying to "make things right" as the non alcoholic in these relationships usually does

It is so sad that the kid has to suffer

I have been there, done that...my mom drank...my uncle not only drank but was mentally ill....and I have seen cops at the house, I have been in all sorts of scary situations growing up...

Lucky kids of alcoholics group up and get therapy and/or join Adult Children of Alcoholics....unlucky ones perish in car crashes, house fires, or are left to wander off .....or live through it and grow up to have their own set of problems, often alcohol, drugs, but could be gambling, shopping, eating disorders...and they often pick a person with a problem to "fix"...that is what we are used to

This is sad...and in the big picture, it is sad that we don't have more rehabs like we used to have, we don't have any way to "cool off" people like we used to have

We have few safety nets and the ones we supposedly have seem to be full of holes

"Stop her">> well that is what some of us said about Sarah Rodgers...but it seems that you really can't stop an adult from doing what they want...
Shantina was not drunk when she left their house....fiancee could not stop her...I am sure some of his odd comments were from his own anxiety realizing what most likely happened....I also think that is why the "first" reports were so full of "she is very responsible, she doesn't have a drug problem"...so typical of a family member lovingly making excuses for their "hippo in the living room"

as the child of an alcoholic I can tell you that you will do anything to make things normal....."My mom is delicate, she gets headaches, she gets neuralgia headaches" to explain why she is laying on the couch in the afternoon with drool on the pillow

"My uncle is very sensitive, he saw things in the war and he gets angry">> when the fact is he was kicked out of the service for being a violent, drunken (bipolar) problem...

but yes, kids will do anything to make it right, because they do love the parent ...I feel so sorry for this little boy...and I hope that the fiancee and his kids get the help and counseling they so surely will need

this is a lose~lose situation
( but I am still firmly NOT blaming the random people who saw them, there was nothing there to see to make anyone try to hold her and if they had they would have been arrested....much of this hindsight stuff also comes from people who are NOT used to dealing the cunning, baffling and powerful force of people who are alcoholics/addicts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kristy91