WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to how or why Az felt the need to explain anything. Did the waitress ask her if she was alright? Did this make SS angry and that's why she got up and left?

This was posted previously by floridaheather here:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA - Shantina Smiley,29, & Azriel Carver,8, car fnd near Olympia 14-Mar-10 #4

"Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal.."

edit: ok, I see this quote from dreamweaver was from someone named replying to "wantmy" on the comments. see p. 2

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html

So she bought the jug of wine at 8:02 and when she was at the diner around 9 pm,

she appeared drunk
Az said she hit her head
was seen falling in the parking lot

Did she drink 1/2 the jug between 8:02 and 9:00? I still think there is something to the statement Mommy hit her head. Especially since she told her g-parents when she called them at 10:10 PM she had been in an accident. Where was she when she clipped the curb in the video?

This was posted previously by floridaheather here:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA - Shantina Smiley,29, & Azriel Carver,8, car fnd near Olympia 14-Mar-10 #4

"Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal.."

edit: ok, I see this quote from dreamweaver was from someone named replying to "wantmy" on the comments. see p. 2

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html
It is a shame they could not have detained her, and called for help, and had paramedics come and examine her, for her child's sake. But they must have been caught by surprise, and hindsight is always 20/20.

Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post on this forum, so please if I post something wrong bear with me...I've only read the rules once so far :). I tried posting on
another forum, but infortunately the thread got closed becuase veryone got mad at each other... But for the most part, this is my post from the other forum, I just added to it a little more. I live in West Olympia, and we are out in BH often. I also have a SAR dog in training...anyways.....
I have to say first off if there is something I did miss or forget after several pages I am sorry. I do my best.
The only thing
I find very interesting about Robb is the fact that as he was on the road, he knew she was lost, and he would have
been right NEAR or IN Olympia. Now, I am not saying he was involved mind you, just that it's pretty darn
odd he wouldn't have tried to help her, but kept going. That's all I'm saying. I am not placing any blame there.....it just stands out.
Secondly, about the van. The 911 caller who reported the van being just about completely submerged,
was told by the 3rd neighbor (it went down the line like that) that it WAS. The caller could not
see the van in his line of view of the bay. I live here, go there, know it really well, and I 100%
beleive that van went under just to above it's top. When the 911 call was made, the tide was already out.
Of course it looks a bit cleaner out of the water, but we had rain, too. About rain, on the freeway, mud splashes up terribly bad
and the windshield could have already held those mud tracks from the wiperblades.
I drive for my job on the freeway alot, and the grime will stay on. Then with rain on top of it,
it would look like that van does.

This is what is so confusing to me the MOST.
If she backed that van into the water,
which it looks like she did,(look closey at the tire track patterns on the beach from air view) at least to
it's edge, WHY did she do it. The headlights would shine on that water when she did the loop around.
Did someone else drive the van there? Did she meet someone here in Oly, get a bottle to share,
and go talk for a bit on a desolate beach?? What was it going on?? I think this because:

You just cannot get accidentally lost in Olympia, and end up accidentally out in Boston Harbor.
I was new here in Oly at one point too, and even cooper and harrison, and even mud bay hywy
are all clearly marked with I5 signs and close, close exits. I'm not buying it. She would have
backtracked back into downtown, then exited again, then ended up on E bay Dr. Drunk or not,
this would require some serious mental incompetance, OR which actually makes more sense to me,
a premeditated plan. By herself or with another, I just don't know. She went Olympia-Lacey-Olympia-Boston Harbor.
You can't accidently do that :(

The items found on the beach were in the correct location to have washed out of the van, or off of someone near the van
in the tide. That's the current direction, and there were two shoes, one the boys, the other hers.
I beleive that because the video shows her wearing those type shoes.

Personally, I think she may be alive, but I got a hinky feeling there was some foul play involved
for the trip to be that convoluted, nothing else makes sense to me; not being drunk, or a concussion,
or even exhaustion. If she was drunk, the people that helped her in BH would have noticed, not just the diner
people. If she had a concussion bad enough to be that messed up to drive like that, they would have seen that too. She had been crying, but she could have just been threatened or hit in the head, too which caused her to look like she cried.
And, well, being that tired wouldn't have caused someone to drive around in a city for 3-4 hrs...JMO.

One tiny last thing...I'm not going to place blame on her, or say she is definately an acoholic and such
just because a fiance said so.....that bottle was half empty, and could have been shared with two people.

Also, Law enforcement IS following up and investigating, it may seem quiet, but it's not that they stopped.

Ok, hope that all wasn't too long, I've been following this since day one, and it hits very close to home. And please, if you have questions to ask me, please do. There were alot of things in the posts previous I saw, but it would make my post way too long :)

I don't think that's a good enough reason. Her son was starving. Yet another example of neglect on her part.

I was acknowledging that her reason was plausible.

For example:

If she were sick, with something like nausea, the smell of the food would've made her sicker. So getting out of the cafeteria would have been proper to feel better and don't vomit in front of everyone.

If she were sick, needing a bathroom, and there was no available bathroom, leaving to find one would make sense.

If she were sick, because she felt faint, leaving and not risking falling in front of everyone would've made sense.

Wait, she did fall in the parking lot, as was said somewhere.

In any case, the kid didn't look like he was emaciated.

He looked very well-fed.

I'm sure she would've gotten something else at the next mart, as she tried to do.

IMO
:)

So she bought the jug of wine at 8:02 and when she was at the diner around 9 pm,

she appeared drunk
Az said she hit her head
was seen falling in the parking lot

Did she drink 1/2 the jug between 8:02 and 9:00? I still think there is something to the statement Mommy hit her head. Especially since she told her g-parents when she called them at 10:10 PM she had been in an accident. Where was she when she clipped the curb in the video?

I wish this person would have fleshed out the convo a bit better. So waitress takes order. Since later they can't tell if she is drunk or had a concussion, she must not have been obviously alcohol scented. But my query above is what prompted Az to say this then. She hadn't left without food or fell at that point. Did he just look at the waitress and appropos of nothing volunteer this info, or had the waitress asked her and he just volunteered to answer for her, or the waitress asked him with her right there, hey kid what's wrong with your Mom? I just thought it may have been what prompted her to get up and leave because they are discussing her right there or she thought she must be making too much of a scene or something.

Hey JessInOly, Welcome!! I love having locals to help with sleuthing, as I have never even been to the Northwest. Thank you so very much for your post!:Welcome-12-june:

snipped for space

The only thing
I find very interesting about Robb is the fact that as he was on the road, he knew she was lost, and he would have
been right NEAR or IN Olympia. Now, I am not saying he was involved mind you, just that it's pretty darn
odd he wouldn't have tried to help her, but kept going. That's all I'm saying. I am not placing any blame there.....it just stands out.

He didn't know she was lost. Here is what he said on his website:

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

Hi BeanE, thank you so much:) I wish I was a fly on the wall at the diner as well, but it looks like she was already quite upset before she got there. Afterall, she had left Oly, and the diner remember is in Lacey. About 15-20 minutes apart from each other depending which way you go. If I remember correctly, there is a bathroon in that diner also. I'd have to double check for certain.

Another thought I had was - did she meet someone online who she was looking to meet up with in Olympia?

Are there any public parks or beaches in that general area that she could have been looking for to meet up with someone?

From what you said, Jess, it seems very unlikely she "just got lost." I had never really entertained the idea that there was another person involved that she was in the company of, that may have been a partner in wine drinking.
I agree that she may be alive. Especially since her body has not been washed up yet.
She could very well have contacted another person - an ex maybe? Who did she know that lived in or near the area she was driving around in? Family? Friend? Lover?
Maybe she was meeting someone. Maybe that someone committed some foul play with her and AZ.

She could very well have contacted another person - an ex maybe? Who did she know that lived in or near the area she was driving around in? Family? Friend? Lover?
Maybe she was meeting someone. Maybe that someone committed some foul play with her and AZ.

We don't know of any friends/family in the Olympia area.

Her ex lives in Castle Rock, an hour away.

snipped for space

He didn't know she was lost. Here is what he said on his website:

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

Another thing I noticed with that statement is, there had been speculation earlier, that she might not have wanted him to go with her. If she asked for her cell than she knew he was going to be there.

Respectfully snipped
That's interesting to me, as well. It provides more info on history.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/Man-returns-from-WA-with-sons-ashes

Quote from article:

"Jay was forced to have a cross-country relationship with Azriel who moved away from WNY with his mom years ago."

The more I learn about this woman's history, the more I feel she didn't have her son's best interests in mind.

IMO, she had her own interests in mind. IMO, she was probably leaving again, and unfortunately, little Az has paid the price for her decisions, over & over again, and now - he's paid the ultimate price.

WOW...Thanks for sharing all of that info. That is absolutely infuriating to me. She will pay for what she did, in some way. That is not okay.

Hi SusanB, thank you for the warm welcome!!

" but wasn’t quite sure of where". I agree, Jules71. That was my only real concern about him and my misunderstanding when reading that part, and so to me, I can illiminate him as involved in any way. (that's just how I feel, got nothing to go on with him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor