WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This report is a bit different version of the Grimmer's...
"We heard banging on the side of the house," said Rachel Grimmer about the sounds outside her house at 1 a.m. Sunday Morning. "It just kind of startled us because no one is ever out here, never ever see anyone out here at night."

I'd like to know if they called right away, or later in the day.

And WHO does the larger man's shoe belong to?? It appeared to be in the same condition as the one belonging to SS, which would indicate it went into the water at the same time.

My first guess is RS

She had relapsed, drove over a curb, fell down, drove in endless circles. Ordered food and left without it, Went to a home because of a christian sticker, appeared disoriented, if she wasn't intoxicated, then she seriously needed psychiatric help. jmo

Unless she was running from something, had been injured such as a head drama (azriel: "mommy hit her head" SS mentioning an "accident"), or was drugged or on RX that maybe she wasn't used to. Anyway LE have stopped searching to follow up on "LEADS" and solicit "INFORMATION" as of TODAY
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/23/investigators-following-leads-case-missing-silverd/

OLYMPIA — Thurston County Sheriff's detectives are still "following up leads" in an effort to find Shantina Smiley, but are not conducting any searches for the missing Silverdale woman.

Detective Lt. Chris Mealy said Monday that investigators are working on several tips that have come into their office. But there's still no sign of Smiley, 29, who disappeared March 13.

"Smiley and her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, were headed from Silverdale to her stepfather’s house in Castle Rock when they vanished. The van she was driving, found the next day, was abandoned and partially submerged in water on a remote Puget Sound beach north of Olympia.

Carver's body was found Thursday on a beach on the south end of Fox Island, near Gig Harbor. The boy's death was found to be an accidental drowning.

Mealy asks anybody who has information to call the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at (360) 786-5530, or their local law enforcement at 911.":doh:

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...ing-leads-case-missing-silverd/#ixzz0j4Qq7Jpf

Because LE has to follow up on all leads. Every single one of them has to be accounted for. And on every case they get crazy ones.

And WHO does the larger man's shoe belong to?? It appeared to be in the same condition as the one belonging to SS, which would indicate it went into the water at the same time.

Hmm. Maybe this is why LE has decided to stop searching for the time being and instead follow leads & solicit tips... :confused:

I have no idea. RS was the one who ID'd the items.

AFAIK, the larger shoe wasn't positively ID'd.

But I would like to know who the heck it belongs to, and how the heck it ended up on that same beach at the same time.

Unless she was running from something, had been injured such as a head drama (azriel: "mommy hit her head" SS mentioning an "accident"), or was drugged or on RX that maybe she wasn't used to. Anyway LE have stopped searching to follow up on "LEADS" and solicit "INFORMATION" as of TODAY
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/23/investigators-following-leads-case-missing-silverd/

The article doesn't say that LE stopped searching to follow up on leads and solicit information, it says

detectives are still "following up leads" in an effort to find Shantina Smiley, but are not conducting any searches

Because LE has to follow up on all leads. Every single one of them has to be accounted for. And on every case they get crazy ones.

Not if they do not believe there is any crime. TY for your input b/c it makes me think that they may think there is one. First, ME says drowning accidental. After AZ found they begin to search for Shantina in the water, now they have stopped. Before they were not even looking for the 2 b/c they themselves said there was no evidence of a crime & now Az's death is *not* being ruled as a homicide or other crime. My theory is that they now believe there is some sort of crime--where it be Shantina or someone else--that they are investigating. JMHO is all.

Hmm. Maybe this is why LE has decided to stop searching for the time being and instead follow leads & solicit tips... :confused:

That shoe is suspicious to me. May be an implication that there was someone else there that night.

Wasn't that in a comment attached to an article online? And wasn't it a subsequent comment where the initial one didn't mention anything to that effect?

I would like to read that article if anyone can find that link b4 I do pls post. TY

Seems to me that the water from the tide explains the windshield being clean. Yes, in the 911 call, he states it's almost completely submerged.

2010-03-13 10:29 PM PST 0.49 meters Low Tide
2010-03-14 6:00 AM PDT 4.18 meters High Tide 13.714 ft
2010-03-14 7:26 AM PDT Sunrise

But only in the area covered by the wipers? Beyond that impossibility, the water no doubt would have loosened and washed away mud and dirt, but would have left a film, not clean glass (except for the arc of a smear clearly caused by the passenger side wiper).

And maybe the items found were suspicous because of what Sorrell pointed out about the unlikely prospect of disparate weighted, shaped items being found together, and maybe above the highwater mark. There are a lot of things to look at. Because you would think it those items were found in and near that area, why not everything else that was in the van too, like clothing, and other loose items in the van.

IIRC, it was another employee (owner?) of the diner who said the waitress felt SS was drunk. Hearsay, in any case ... this is how rumors grow legs.

I believe you're correct, now that you mention it, that it was a different employee. I recalled it as being the waitress. It was an error on my part due to fatigue, certainly not an attempt to spread rumor.

And maybe the items found were suspicous because of what Sorrell pointed out about the unlikely prospect of disparate weighted, shaped items being found together, and maybe above the highwater mark. There are a lot of things to look at. Because you would think it those items were found in and near that area, why not everything else that was in the van too, like clothing, and other loose items in the van.

that is an excellent point that Sorrell made then abt the different weights of the things. i know nothing abt the science of how the weights would change when and where they land but this seems common sense to me. ty for pointing this out. hmm. :detective:

It's not the "unsavory" things per se - it's that they tie into a pattern of behavior on the night in question which is consistent with the evidence found.

She was buying jug wine at the same time she was buying a drink for her son.
She was disoriented for hours.
Her son's body washes up on a beach, and was labeled by the coroner an accidental drowning.

It's pretty clear she drowned due to an accident on the beach.

It's sad, it's tragic, and unfortunately it happens.

But from a LE standpoint, there is not proof that she died. There are other avenues they are investigating because of things we don't know about. As well as things we've all been questioning that don't make sense (the purse, overnight bag, etc).

IMO

But only in the area covered by the wipers? Beyond that impossibility, the water no doubt would have loosened and washed away mud and dirt, but would have left a film, not clean glass (except for the arc of a smear clearly caused by the passenger side wiper).

Good point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member