WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The clocks don't change til midnight Sat-Sun... he still had 5 hours and 15 minutes at the 645 call.
Snipped from LCoastMom, above.
A retail manager might have moved the surveillance camera clock ahead early, so a night employee would not have to do it. Or he may have moved his cell up early----it is just a thought........This case is the strangest I have ever pondered.....:waitasec:

Can you set a cell's time? Mine changes automatically, I've never tried to set it myself. If he set it up himself early, then when the time change came he'd be 2 hours off. If I'm following what you're saying here.

If RS hadn't been in such an all fired hurry and went home first he could have picked up his charger himself if he knew it was low. I am also curious about her asking him to pick up HER phone, as he states. Why does she think at 6:45 he would still be home?

When did he say he bought the charger, on Sunday? If he needed to check his missed calls( he claims she couldn't reach him) you'd think that would have been top of the agenda. Or can you still get your messages when your batteries die?

I hope he was accompanied to the home by an officer who could take and document chain of custody of her phone and note if his charger were there or missing.

The clocks don't change til midnight Sat-Sun... he still had 5 hours and 15 minutes at the 645 call.
A retail manager might have moved the surveillance camera clock ahead early, so a night employee would not have to do it. Or he may have moved his cell up early----it is just a thought........This case is the strangest I have ever pondered.....:waitasec:

You could be right, maybe at the HP market - which would make the HP stop 655 which would make sense if she pulled off - let Az use the RR at a gas station and used a pay phone to call Robb, then drove out to HP - left from there to get food for Az - then went to Safeway.

But shouldn't LE have notified about the time difference? or is it enough that they know. Don't they know we care???

I just tried calling HP to get their store hours But "No One was available to take my call!! (at 829pm Monday)

I have never had to change my cell phone - that and my computer both change automatically for time zones and for DLST-

Even without the items, I don't buy that they were somehow washed out of the van or away from it. I don't believe the water would rise that fast (drunk or not, that near freezing water would have awakened them and fast) or that any current that close to shore would be so strong as to prevent them from simply wading out.

I can't express how so absolutely, 110% I agree with this post!!!

:blowkiss:

If RS hadn't been in such an all fired hurry and went home first he could have picked up his charger himself if he knew it was low. I am also curious about her asking him to pick up HER phone, as he states. Why does she think at 6:45 he would still be home?

When did he say he bought the charger, on Sunday? If he needed to check his missed calls( he claims she couldn't reach him) you'd think that would have been top of the agenda. Or can you still get your messages when your batteries die?

I hope he was accompanied to the home by an officer who could take and document chain of custody of her phone and note if his charger were there or missing.

Wasn't he supposed to get out of B.S. training at 6:30 but got out at 4:30 - so she called hoping he hadn't gotten out of town yet but found out he was ahead of her.. (according to him.)

This caused me no end of confusion to begin with why - were they both leaving at the same time in separate vehicles, to go together? A couple days later he said he was supposed to get out at 6:30(ish)

I just got a hold of a nice young man at HP, the store closes at 11 PM on Sat and Sunday

Your theory is compelling and of course a possibility. The only question would be where she could have gone and not be recognized? This was national news, Robb was on every network, cable station, local radio, giving newspaper interviews... with such short hair, it would seem to limit her ability to disguise herself. Unless she's waiting for interest to die off and then reappear somewhere. That still would involve a lot of planning, fake IDs, etc.

Robb spoke a lot about how wonderful her life was with him, and how grateful she was for being with him... if your scenario is what actually happened, then what changed all that?

Her MySpace said they had been engaged for 2 out of the 2.5 yrs they had been together, but Rob said he asked her to marry him that week prior to her disappearing. She has pictures of a stunning wedding gown on MS.

Some people who have had a lot of carp in their lives get frightened by too much of a good thing, worrying about when this is going to turn carpy too. They decide to leave before things turn against them.

Or maybe she thought the medical issues was her world turning carpy and she decided to leave.

Or maybe she wasn't as happy as everyone thought. (Could have fooled me by her MS acct)

Or maybe it is something we haven't even gotten close to yet..

Her MySpace said they had been engaged for 2 out of the 2.5 yrs they had been together, but Rob said he asked her to marry him that week prior to her disappearing. She has pictures of a stunning wedding gown on MS.

Some people who have had a lot of carp in their lives get frightened by too much of a good thing, worrying about when this is going to turn carpy too. They decide to leave before things turn against them.

Or maybe she thought the medical issues was her world turning carpy and she decided to leave.

Or maybe she wasn't as happy as everyone thought. (Could have fooled me by her MS acct)

Or maybe it is something we haven't even gotten close to yet..

That's a lot of "maybe"s, and I haven't heard much reason to think any of them is true.

The training he said he was attending was scheduled from 8 am to 4 pm, per the scout calendar. https://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/Calendar.asp (this is the scouting page linked to on his site)

Ahhh!!! Thank you for this, I looked but did not find the time!

I was a GS leader for both of my daughters - almost 10 yrs for the two, and we tried starting a Tiger Cubs troop for my son- never-ever did we ever have a training program that lasted later than 4:00-4:30 - because they start really early.

About the keys...

She had her own car, I suspect she'd have those keys with her and they'd have the house key, etc. The spare key makes sense since Robb loaned her the use of the van to make this trip.

Am I understanding this correctly'

one key was found, which belonged to the van, on the dash of the van?

No other keys were found, just the one single key?

tia

That's a lot of "maybe"s, and I haven't heard much reason to think any of them is true.

It was just a few possibilities to toss around. But this is very true:

Whether any apply to SS I have no idea and I believe I made it clear that "Some people" react this way and "maybe" these are reasons. I'm not saying they are or that I even think they are...

True, but would they abandon their van with their child inside of it along a beach?

I mean, that's a guaranteed way of making your life turn "carpy" but I kind of doubt SS was the type to do that.

Am I understanding this correctly'

one key was found, which belonged to the van, on the dash of the van?

No other keys were found, just the one single key?

tia

Yes. But it is possible the key was not found ON the dash but in the glovebox in the dash.

Az was 3 at the time...

Yikes - you're right - he would have been 3 or 4 at the time. I messed up with the math - my bad.

Nevertheless, he would have been too young to provide testimony as to who broke his arm.

But thx for correcting my math!

After having lived in the PNW for the past 24 years and after hiking, spending time on & camping on many, many of the beaches in the area (both the Olympic Peninsula beaches & the Puget Sound beaches), I have to say this:

The tides do not rush in like a tsunami & sweep everything & everyone away in their path - especially the tides of the Sound, which come in more slowly than the tides out on the Olympic Coast. They come in over the course of several hours & it's apparent when they're coming in - even to someone who might not know what an incoming tide looks like. The water gradually rises.

IMO, Shantina was well aware of the tides, and how they behaved, since it seems that she was involved in outdoor activities as well as being a Cub Scout leader.

It's not like she was a completely inexperienced city girl from the Midwest who had never been to the ocean & had no idea of tides, currents, and the like. After all, it's a well known fact that she grew up in the Puget Sound area - therefore, IMO, she would have knowledge of the highs & lows of the tides.

I don't believe for a minute that she wasn't aware of the tideline when she parked the van on that beach.

7, 8, 9, 10. Almost exactly every hour. Know what that indicates to me? Level emotion, level condition. No more - or less - reason to stop at 7 than at any other time for 3 hours. No more or less hungry, tired, sleepy, sick, achy, intoxicated, drugged, happy, sad, distressed, worried, compelled to flee, thirsty, frightened, intimidated, in pain, or anything else. However she arrived at that payphone at 7 is how she was at 8, 9, and 10.

She stopped to:
- get directions
- get a drink
- get a drink for Az
- get something to eat
- use a phone
- have personal human contact
- have voice contact

7, 8, 9, 10. Then something changed. At 11. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

She no longer needed to:
- get directions
- get a drink
- get a drink for Az
- get something to eat
- use a phone
- have personal human contact
- have voice contact

She no longer needed any of the things she needed every single hour on the hour from 7 until 10.

But back to my initial observation, to me more important, she was exactly the same at 7 as she was at 10, but no longer at 11.

Timeline:

6:45 p.m.– Shantina stops off at an unknown location and calls her fiancé Robb Simmons. She tells him her cell phone was left at home, and she was hoping he could bring it with him on his way to Castle Rock later.

7:55 p.m.– Lt. Mealey says there is video of Shantina stopping off at the Handy Pantry, where she made a purchase and left.

9:08 p.m.– Shantina stops off at the Martin Way Diner and orders one corndog to go. This is odd because this is a sit down diner, not an establishment you order carry out from. Although she placed the corndog order, she did not pick it up. Instead, police say Shantina walked outside, tripped before getting into her van, and drove off with her son.

9:55 p.m.– Lt. Mealey says there is more surveillance video of Shantina stopping off at a local store on a rural county road. The store was closed, so she left.

10:00 p.m.– Shantina and her son stop off at a residence occupied by an elderly couple. She used the phone in the residence and called her grandfather to say she was lost, and there was an accident of sorts, but she did not elaborate. The elderly couple fed her son a slice of pizza and gave her directions to get back on the main road.

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/shantina-smiley-still-missing-remembering-azriel/

I expect that LE is just not taking RS word for it that SS called him at 645 and/or 647, and that there is one or two payphone #s on his cell from Olympia. However, unless there is video of her using a payphone, and that that is the payphone # that showed up on his cell, then they are simply taking RS word for it that it was she who made the call/s.

So, if it is the case that LE has video of SS making a call on a payphone, and that the payphone # is on RS cell phone at the video timestamp of the payphone video, and that they have not shared that video with the public, then it is also possible that LE has other video of other places she may have stopped at that night that also are not shared with the public.

Therefore, LE's timeline may be incomplete. which would make the idea that she needed something hourly until 11, well, ?

Also, we do have an interview from the Williams' family which state that she was nervous, and appeard to have been crying, iirc, and I certainly may not be remembering correctly...

I may be wrong, and probably am, but it seems to me that at the Handy Pantry, where we see Az get out of the van, and them walk into the store where she smiles, imo, at the clerk, that that is also the video of them walking up to the front of the store, where she is walking right behind him, like a march, stops, turns her head to look at Az who had just broken ranks, lol, waits, then turns her body, and looks into her wallet; is this the same store where she is also seen looking at a map with the same clerk? We also see in this same store Az wandering around the front and right side of the store. and also ee SS and AZ come up to the front of the store with the wine and other things. So did they spend quite some time in that store, or did she leave after looking at the map, then return to buy the wine? It is unclear to me. What is clear though to me anyway is that this info is on several videos, not just one, even though it is the same store. So I don't quite understand why LE specifically states in the timeline where they were at that store, that they made a purchase then left, I mean, huh?

It is my opinion when they first came in the store, they might have asked to use the restroom inhe back of the store and went there. Az may have wandered to the right front of the store while SS was in the bathroom. However there is confusion in my mind as to when she looked at the map with the clerk, and in another video she is seen buying the wine from same clerk. so the specifics from LE on that particular stop only adds one more, "makes no sense" comment from silly ole me, fwiw.

But it appears to me from the videos, and maybe b/c there is more than one video of this store, that she was in that store twice, at least. So if she was there more than once, how far apart were these visits?

The video of her falling outside the diner hasn't been released, just wondering why not? Wasn't it said that she was having a hard time staying awake there?

To summarize, we only know where she stopped by what we have been told. The missing time between those stops may not be and probably aren't a mystery to LE, but I suspect there are more stops than we have been told.
Since we have video of her not stressed at the handy pantry, yet an interview with a Williams that she was nervous, then "level emotion" isn't accurate, but "normal emotion" is, since at ten, she should have been stessed, and nervous going up to a house of strangers.

And most important to me is that we have no idea how she was at eleven, none at all. jmo, fwiw.

True, but would they abandon their van with their child inside of it along a beach?

I mean, that's a guaranteed way of making your life turn "carpy" but I kind of doubt SS was the type to do that.

I agree 200%, I am holding out all hope that she is alive, but I cannot let myself think she did this to Az, until someone show's up with a picture of her in the act - and then I will want proof someone wasn't holding a gun a to her head - just out of the picture...

I don't want that to be the truth. I don't think it is the truth.

Even if she decided to run, (not saying she did) that doesn't mean she wasn't taking Az with. Whatever happened to make it go bad, does not mean she wanted it to go this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528