WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That hasn't been publicized.

(scratches chin)...very interesting. I'm pretty darn eager to know where the bag turned up. Along the coastline somewhere? This also shows that LE is working on this and doesn't want to reveal much.

No matter how I read it, it says her bag was found. I've never heard anyone in my life say 'her bag was found not'. :waitasec:

All of the mainstream media articles I read, always said, "If Smiley had an overnight bag with her, that luggage is missing too." Same with purse. I never read that a bag was found .....:(:(:(

No matter how I read it, it says her bag was found. I've never heard anyone in my life say 'her bag was found not'. :waitasec:

The flier stated:
"She originally had an overnight bag it was found not in car."

You don't think it might be a case of inadvertent reversal of the words 'found' and 'not', so the intention was to say she originally had an overnight bag, but it was not found in the car?

That's how I had viewed it, in my mind, anyway.

From this link:
http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/ckr/news/87673977.html
"Simmons told Mealy that Smiley normally takes an overnight bag on similar trips, but was unsure if she took one this time. No extra clothes or bags were found in the car."

I thought most accounts said something similar regarding an overnight bag.

The next day residents found Shantina's van stuck in the water, her wallet was on the seat but her purse was missing, her keys were on the dashboard, and her overnight bag was missing. The side door and back hatch were open, Shantina and Azriel were nowhere to be found. http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d2-Disappeared-without-a-trace-Shantina-Smiley-still-missing-fiance-holds-out-hope-shell-come-home

No one was found in the abandoned car. A wallet was inside, but Smiley's purse was gone. Chamberlain said if the woman and her son had packed an overnight bag for their trip, that luggage also was gone.http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351454_missing16m.html

I never heard anything else.

Living near a beach, i will often thro trash up past the high tide line. Local are inclined to clean the beach, but i sometimes don't have a trash bag - as others don't and collections start. The stuff found could easily of come from random times.
I have not seen what meds she was on. Meds are drugs, if you take meds that make you think everything is ok - and you are a self medicator - ooh that can cause a problem.
Azriel acted so free happy not abused, his mom looked at maps - was the road to beach on there? I think they were both exhausted. Wake up cold in panic - figure you parked towards the water- jump out back - theres a drop off there. Also if they got clams there, they need sand or sludge. I watch a child go off drop off once, he was saved but i can see shirt being over head , she would of grabed... then jumped to save or left with the new special person

Living near a beach, i will often thro trash up past the high tide line. Local are inclined to clean the beach, but i sometimes don't have a trash bag - as others don't and collections start. The stuff found could easily of come from random times. . . .
Interesting that you should point this out, as I just came across an article (will have to go find the link) which said the wine bottle washed up one day later than the other items: It was found on Thursday, the others, Wednesday. And yet Chief Deputy Chamberlain believes they did not wash up.........hmmmmm

Azriel and Smiley were on a short trip from Silverdale to Castle Rock Saturday evening when they disappeared. They were seen on surveillance video at an Olympia convenience store. Smiley, who is a recovering alcoholic, appeared to buy a jug of wine.

The next day, their van turned up on the beach near Olympia. A wallet containing Smiley's driver's license, some cash and credit cards was found in the van. Two mismatched shoes, an inhaler and an orange ball have washed ashore since the van was found. The items apparently belonged to the boy or his mother.

Then on Thursday, a half-empty jug of wine was found washed up nearby.

http://www.the33tv.com/news/nationworld/kcpq-031810-boy,0,949579.story?page=2

All of the mainstream media articles I read, always said, "If Smiley had an overnight bag with her, that luggage is missing too." Same with purse. I never read that a bag was found .....:(:(:(

I agree I have never read a bag was found.

The flier stated:

You don't think it might be a case of inadvertent reversal of the words 'found' and 'not', so the intention was to say she originally had an overnight bag, but it was not found in the car?

From this link:
"Simmons told Mealy that Smiley normally takes an overnight bag on similar trips, but was unsure if she took one this time. No extra clothes or bags were found in the car."

I interpreted it that way also, that the words were reversed.

The flier stated:

From this link:

BBM. Ah yes. That could be.

Basically it's like someone saying:

We found the bag was missing.

This doesn't mean the bag was found. They are using the word "found" in place of something else like realized, discovered, determined --or-- he is omitting words to shorten things.

The bag was found not to be in the van.

I truly believe his statement was saying they did not find the bag.

Basically it's like someone saying:

We found the bag was missing.

This doesn't mean the bag was found. They are using the word "found" in place of something else like realized, discovered, determined --or-- he is omitting words to shorten things.

The bag was found not to be in the van.

I truly believe his statement was saying they did not find the bag.

I agree. It was also never determined that she actually had a bag, or purse: They were never described

Okay I got the overnight bag completely wrong. I thought RS had said she definitely had a bag with her, and the flier said it had definitely been found.

It looks like it actually is that whereas she usually takes a bag, nobody could confirm she had this time, and, no bag has ever been found. (Correct?)

Has RS ever said if he's familiar with all her bags and that one or more was missing, or that all of them were accounted for at the house?

Okay I got the overnight bag completely wrong. I thought RS had said she definitely had a bag with her, and the flier said it had definitely been found.

It looks like it actually is that whereas she usually takes a bag, nobody could confirm she had this time, and, no bag has ever been found. (Correct?)

Has RS ever said if he's familiar with all her bags and that one or more was missing, or that all of them were accounted for at the house?

Well, I can see how you did, as it is very confusing, and thanks for your candor, it is very endearing and respected. No, it seemed RS was never able to describe her bag, nor her purse. He would say he was not sure, did not know.... But men can be very unobservant....

A bag with clothes an stuff could easly of been taken out by tide- it will have air pockets and then waterlog- and it probably would of been in back They ain't gonna grab that- they are running the wrong way. It will break my heart if it was for a relationship.She dun good, but trying to deal with ex, step parents, blah blah was it the meds? drunk dialing.
So very sadly i hope they find her body.

Simmons said he last talked to Smiley Saturday afternoon before she and her son set out for her stepfather's home, about two hours away.

"She said she's getting ready to hit the road and I said 'Okay I'll see you on the road,'" Simmons said. He expected to catch with them so they could drive down together, but he never saw them again.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/sha...ry?id=10122149
If he expected to get out of class at 6:30 and she left at 4:30 - unless he knew she was stopping on the way, how did he expect to catch her on the road. If they were both leaving at 4:30 why go separately?

Is his ex wife living in that area and maybe he was going to stop and see his kids while Kat got reacquainted with her sis?

“After several years, Shantina had made contact with her Step Father in Castle Rock. We had planned to go down and visit them.

I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well.....

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/FEATURE-NEWS/SEARCH-FOR-MISSING-WOMAN-AND-SON-CONTINUES
Jules this was not where I saw it first and it took 4 hours, but I found it!! :dance:

Simmons detailed the chronology of events Saturday, saying that he had planned to meet Smiley in Castle Rock, where she was en route to visit her stepfather. He was headed down separately after he finished Cub Scout training. The two were den leaders.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/15/pray-their-safe-return-says-fiance-missing-woman/
Investigators say that Smiley left Silverdale at 5 p.m. At 6:45 p.m., she called her boyfriend from a pay phone asking him to get her cell phone, but he didn’t answer, said Thurston County Sheriff Lt. Chris Mealy.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/14/search-is-on-for-missing-silverdale-mom-son/
Is there any wonder why so many false comments are thought to be truth...

Mealy said Smiley had called her fiance Saturday night in northwest Olympia...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/wireStory?id=10107327
I have a lousy sense of direction, from Silverdale - northwest would be if she stopped off on one of the the first exits and called from near the freeway?

On Tuesday her fiancé revealed she had been under stress lately. He said he's been having health issues and fears he might have cancer. So this past week he suggested they get married.
That's when she started drinking again. But he does not think that played any role in what happened.

The search for Shantina and Azriel was called off late Tuesday afternoon and no new searches are planned.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Nat...-in-finding-missing-mom-and-son-87825797.html
This makes it sound like despite family saying she wouldn't disappear, LE initially decided that's what happened - three days of searching (Sunday - Tuesday) isn't all that much when you consider 2 lives were at stake.

"We heard banging on the side of the house," said Rachel Grimmer about the sounds outside her house at 1 a.m. Sunday Morning."

But the incident was significant to authorities. It happened three hours after Smiley and her son disappeared, and possibly, after the van went into the water. "It tells us they did not wash out in Dana Passage, and this may not be water related at all," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.king5.com/home/Fiance-Items-found-belonged-to-missing-woman-son-88432872.html
According to Thurston County, the two went to the Handy Pantry market in West Olympia around 7:50 p.m. Around 9 p.m. they were seen at the Martin Way Diner about 3 miles away.
Does this remove any question about what time they were in HP or could it still be 1 hour off?

About 10 minutes later, Dennis Williams said the two knocked on the front door of his home about a mile from the store.
"She seemed upset because she was lost," said Williams.
Williams said Smiley used the phone to tell a relative they were lost and going to be late. He said the mother and son did not seem to be in trouble. If anything, said Williams, the boy seemed hungry.
"We gave him a piece of pizza," said Williams.
She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.
"I wish there was something more I could've done. I wish I knew more, or asked the right questions to be able to say this is a person who's in trouble," said Williams.

http://www.king5.com/home/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html
So many people hurting - the DW family from a 10 minute chance encounter...

Safety Rest Area Locations

The exit from I-5 Southbound at :
Maytown (MP 93)
11.6 Miles S of Olympia

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/RestAreas/restareamap.htm#scattercreek
The DW family said she stopped to find a RR for Az, would one of these rest area's make sense as a good place to stop? This was the only one I found southbound at or near Olympia from the I-5 but I'm not sure if she was on the 5 or had to merge over to a different Hwy to exit in Olympia.

The statement that: "she called at 645 and said she was lost..." In the Shep tape on FOX. (and others) This has been niggling the back of my mind " was she already lost at 645?

So what meds was she taking? usually one is put on meds at times if crisis - crisis ends your still on the meds. In a wise world they would re-accese you - but they don't- they give ya something to go up or down from the original. Meds change your frame of mind, they do not make you wise. People that date addicts are often saviors but when saved and doing well -well ya going to owe that savior. I don't see he has any place in there disappearance but i can see her want to escape.

If he expected to get out of class at 6:30 and she left at 4:30 - unless he knew she was stopping on the way, how did he expect to catch her on the road. If they were both leaving at 4:30 why go separately?

Shantina didn't leave at 4:30. She called to say she was leaving, at 4:15.

He may have figured she could get stuck in traffic, or would have turned off if her son needed to stop at a rest room, or whatever.

Is there any wonder why so many false comments are thought to be truth...

More like bad reporting. This article says:

(quoting Mealy)
Smiley called Simmons at around 6:45 p.m. from a pay phone, asking him to bring her cell phone, but Simmons was already on his way.

If Mealy said that verbatim, the Kitsap Sun reporter may have assumed he didn't answer. But that isn't what Mealy said. He said that Simmons was already on his way (and thus not able to get the cell), not that he didn't answer.

I have a lousy sense of direction, from Silverdale - northwest would be if she stopped off on one of the the first exits and called from near the freeway?

Silverdale is far to the north of Olympia.

This makes it sound like despite family saying she wouldn't disappear, LE initially decided that's what happened - three days of searching (Sunday - Tuesday) isn't all that much when you consider 2 lives were at stake.

Or LE decided that she had died in the water, and that it would be fruitless to continue searching since her body wasn't near the shore, and had drifted away.

That they were searching the water indicates that they thought she drowned (either accidentally or not.)

Does this remove any question about what time they were in HP or could it still be 1 hour off?

They reporters may have just gotten the time from the published videotape, and not thought about the time change.

The DW family said she stopped to find a RR for Az, would one of these rest area's make sense as a good place to stop? This was the only one I found southbound at or near Olympia from the I-5 but I'm not sure if she was on the 5 or had to merge over to a different Hwy to exit in Olympia.

If she was on I-5... yes, it would have made an ideal place to stop. Washington rest stops are very good. But she was lost and not near the I-5. If she was on I-5, she would have been heading in the right direction anyway...

The statement that: "she called at 645 and said she was lost..." In the Shep tape on FOX. (and others) This has been niggling the back of my mind " was she already lost at 645?

RS hasn't said anything about her sounding/acting unusual at 6:45.

snipped for space

I also thought it was strange that she didn't have any recent comments from friends on myspace. The last one was on 11/3/09. It shows she last signed in on 3/7/10 - and she set her mood on 2/22 and 2/12. So it looks like she used myspace, but maybe more of her friends used FB. We can't see her activity on there because she has her wall blocked. Elf, are you referring to what you were able to see on your mutual friend's page?

No I wasn't referring to what I could see on the mutual friend's page. I was referring to her friends. If you click on her friends and go to each of their pages some have their wall non private and if you click on Older posts you can go to the time frame of her disappearance. A lot of her friends posted the various news articles and were praying for her and remembering her from high school on those posts. If you go further through the older posts - you can see that there was no comments from SS or to her. It was time consuming to go through each of her 64 friends :) but I did it. ( I also did it on her MySpace) Also, most of the people that posted about her disappearance only became friends with RS after the fact of her disappearance. I assume to show their support to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528