DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and another...

Father will get custody of Sky Metalwala’s sister
Solomon Metalwala will fight estranged wife's efforts to have supervised visits

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/father-will-get-custody-sky-metalwalas-sister/nFwQL/

Thank you Adrienne37 for the update. What I found particularly interesting was the grandmother's response after she found out about Solomon gaining custody of M:

Nadia Biryukova said both parents "are equally responsible for destroying their marriage and family, (and) to be fair to Julia, one very important thing needs to be known. Julia started to experience some kind of postpartum depression (which is pretty common) after their first child was born. If she neglected anyone, she totally neglected to take proper care of herself."

It seems the grandmother is still unwilling to place blame on her daughter for neglecting her kids, and even if she may have suffered from post partum depression, she still chose to try and destroy the only person who was willing to get her the help that she needed. If Julia wasn't able to look after herself properly, why then did her mother help her to obtain sole custody of the kids? does she not care about the welfare of her grandkids at all?

According to the article, SM will regain custody by Dec 18. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO WAIT???

Maybe some transitioning time? He has two supervised visits a week right now if I'm not mistaken so maybe they just are trying to ease her back into living with him and not doing it all at one time. This child is probably so traumatized it's not even funny.

Why does SM have to wait until 12/18 to get MM back? They didn't "transition" MM into foster care - why do they need to "transition" her to be in the care of her loving father???

I'm very happy to hear that SM will fight JB having visitation!

<respectfully snipped> It seems the grandmother is still unwilling to place blame on her daughter for neglecting her kids, and even if she may have suffered from post partum depression, she still chose to try and destroy the only person who was willing to get her the help that she needed. If Julia wasn't able to look after herself properly, why then did her mother help her to obtain sole custody of the kids? does she not care about the welfare of her grandkids at all?

This is absolutely infuriating to me. It's pretty apparent to me that this woman has no concern regarding either of her grandchildren and I hope that M is never allowed to visit with her unsupervised as well. This is the craziest bunch of people I've ever seen.

Why does SM have to wait until 12/18 to get MM back? They didn't "transition" MM into foster care - why do they need to "transition" her to be in the care of her loving father???

I'm very happy to hear that SM will fight JB having visitation!

You have a point but then JB didn't spend the last year and a half vilifying the foster parents M was taken to and terrifying her about the prospect. It would appear, at least to me, that it is likely she did just that to SM.

I am happy he has finally won and that very soon M and he will be able to rebuild their bond.

I totally agree about the JB visitation.

Gitana spoke eloquently upthread about the supervised visits and monitored visits that DCFS offers in California. Actually, in Washington State there is quite a distinction between "monitored" visitation = meaning someone (ie: a 3rd party) has the ability to hear if someone yells, and they are checked on approximately every 10 - 15 minutes. "Supervised visits" must be done by a third party who has sight on the child at all times. The Supervisors are only required to have a h.s. diploma, a clear driving record, a clean background check, and a short training on how to take documentation and what would constitute child abuse/neglect and must be reported, as well as how to stop the visit and deliver the children to where they reside. In both of these scenarios, the 3rd party supervisor or monitor has no ability to intervene in the parenting and/or relationship between parent and child. They are only able to warn the parent of the rules and if those are violated - they can stop the visit and notify the Social Worker. If the visits prove to have a negative impact on the child(ren), (ie: MM crying uncontrollably or refusing to see her Mom or dramatic behavior changes, etc) immediatly following the visit then the Social Worker @ CPS can request therapeutic visits and that Mom comply with certain responsibilities like attending counseling in addition to the therapeutic visitations.

Washington State has an Imminent Harm standard for child abuse/neglect. The State must offer services to the parents to ameliorate the issues that brought the child into care. What DCFS knows right now is that MM is not safe to leave with JB (because she left Sky and he is missing). They do not have verification currently that visitation between jb and MM would be detrimental to the child. They cannot speculate that she might say something inappropriate, so they will tell JB the rules of the visitation and offer her the opportunity to see and interact with her child. If JB can follow the rules and show up at her scheduled days and times, there really will be nothing more that DCFS could do, and they will continue the visits.

Therapeutic visits must be done in the presence of a qualified therapist who can intervene if necessary on issues of parenting, mental health, attachment, relationship, etc.

You have a point but then JB didn't spend the last year and a half vilifying the foster parents M was taken to and terrifying her about the prospect. It would appear, at least to me, that it is likely she did just that to SM.

I am happy he has finally won and that very soon M and he will be able to rebuild their bond.

I totally agree about the JB visitation.

Great point and an angle that I hadn't thought about. Thanks for pointing that out, it does make some sense that she might be afraid based on who knows what JB has said in front of her or with her in the same room. I just want MM to be with her daddy ASAP. I have a feeling that he will cherish her and treat her like a little princess once they are finally together!

Great point and an angle that I hadn't thought about. Thanks for pointing that out, it does make some sense that she might be afraid based on who knows what JB has said in front of her or with her in the same room. I just want MM to be with her daddy ASAP. I have a feeling that he will cherish her and treat her like a little princess once they are finally together!

I totally agree with your feelings on this. I think this man has been itching to be an involved parent and my heart breaks for the time lost to both he and M due to JB's manipulations of the court system. I do think however that they are being cautious and taking their time with transitioning M into his custody because of that long period spent apart. I want M to feel safe, so if those with more information think it in her best interest to prepare her for this move slowly, then I have to try to accept it for her benefit. I am sure SM, much as he wants his princess back right this second, is willing to take the time for her benefit as well. I agree, I think this man will be a good and loving daddy and boy could this poor kid use that right now.

According to the article, SM will regain custody by Dec 18. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO WAIT???

Well, he's still just a dad after all.

Note that mom, after all evidence suggests that she murdered her baby, still get's visits with the daughter she hasn't killed yet -- apparently the state feels she deserves a chance to finish the job or something. Dad, on the other hand, had a court order to keep away from his kids based upon nothing more than mom's word that he was abusive.

A judge today lifted the protection order against Solomon Metalwala, father of missing a 2-year-old boy, clearing the way for him to regain custody of his 4-year-old daughter.

http://today.seattletimes.com/2011/12/missing-boys-father-to-regain-custody-of-daughter-2/

AWESOME NEWS!!

So happy to hear that!

And interestingly, from the article:

Metalwala arrived at the King County Courthouse expecting to attend a hearing to ask that a restraining order against him be lifted, but without opposition from his estranged wife, Julia Biryukova, a family law commissioner terminated the order.

Wait a minute? I thought Julia was the poor, put upon victim of domestic violence who either was driven to hiding her son or going crazy and harming him or who was stalked and had her son kidnapped from her by her abuser?

Yet, she does not oppose the dv restraining order in any fashion. Not even the portion that protects her (and not the kids) from Solomon. Yup, speaks volumes.

Gitana spoke eloquently upthread about the supervised visits and monitored visits that DCFS offers in California. Actually, in Washington State there is quite a distinction between "monitored" visitation = meaning someone (ie: a 3rd party) has the ability to hear if someone yells, and they are checked on approximately every 10 - 15 minutes. "Supervised visits" must be done by a third party who has sight on the child at all times. The Supervisors are only required to have a h.s. diploma, a clear driving record, a clean background check, and a short training on how to take documentation and what would constitute child abuse/neglect and must be reported, as well as how to stop the visit and deliver the children to where they reside. In both of these scenarios, the 3rd party supervisor or monitor has no ability to intervene in the parenting and/or relationship between parent and child. They are only able to warn the parent of the rules and if those are violated - they can stop the visit and notify the Social Worker. If the visits prove to have a negative impact on the child(ren), (ie: MM crying uncontrollably or refusing to see her Mom or dramatic behavior changes, etc) immediatly following the visit then the Social Worker @ CPS can request therapeutic visits and that Mom comply with certain responsibilities like attending counseling in addition to the therapeutic visitations.

Washington State has an Imminent Harm standard for child abuse/neglect. The State must offer services to the parents to ameliorate the issues that brought the child into care. What DCFS knows right now is that MM is not safe to leave with JB (because she left Sky and he is missing). They do not have verification currently that visitation between jb and MM would be detrimental to the child. They cannot speculate that she might say something inappropriate, so they will tell JB the rules of the visitation and offer her the opportunity to see and interact with her child. If JB can follow the rules and show up at her scheduled days and times, there really will be nothing more that DCFS could do, and they will continue the visits.

Therapeutic visits must be done in the presence of a qualified therapist who can intervene if necessary on issues of parenting, mental health, attachment, relationship, etc.

Thank you so much for that info, wenwe. Interesting that they differentiate between monitored and supervised visitation. Here, it's the same thing.

And they have even less training than I assumed.

I really hope that the restrictive supervised visits call for therapeutic visitation with a licensed psychologist or LCSW.

In other news, one of the articles posted above states that Solomon will fight visitation for Julia. I'm glad of that but there was no info in the article itself. Just the headline. Hmmm. I would love to know more, like how he plans to do that.

ETA:, there was info, further down the page. I thought the article had ended!!!:
Metalwala said he'll fight efforts by Biryukova to have supervised visits with her daughter.
Metalwala has said that in the past, his wife has mental health issues and is not in a state of mind to interact with her daughter.

&#8220;She needs to interact with herself first,&#8221; said Metalwala.

&#8220;She hasn&#8217;t helped at all in this process, and hasn&#8217;t been involved in the child that&#8217;s missing. We sure hate to think about what would happen with the child that&#8217;s not missing,&#8221; said Metalwala&#8217;s lawyer, Clay Terry
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/father-will-get-custody-sky-metalwalas-sister/nFwQL/

I think his attorney is great, though. I am impressed thus far.

She did not seem afraid based on what Solomon reported after their first visits. She said, according to him, "That's my daddy!!!"

Me too!! It looks he has spent weeks crying though, bless his heart.

Poor guy. I hope having M around lifts his spirits some. I think he looks a lot like Sky in that picture. The first smile we have seen on his face since this all began.

Oh gosh. You have to read the comments after the Kirotv article. Annoying. They assume "the abuse" of the children as alleged by Julia was real. They wonder why M was returned so soon.

I'll tell ya' why, because the court system finally realized Julia was lying and because Julia finally realized it is no use to keep up the lie.

Metalwala has said that in the past, his wife has mental health issues and is not in a state of mind to interact with her daughter.

&#8220;She needs to interact with herself first,&#8221; said Metalwala.

Oh man. That's a solid statement!

ChrisDaniels5 Chris Daniels
DSHS: Mother has failed to provide coherent explanation...atty calls her a person of interest in the investigation.

#searchforsky
56 seconds ago

I find this encouraging that JB is a POI, now. Will this help in any way...or is it merely semantics? Thank you for all you experts for sharing your areas of expertise! :seeya:

TIA

Oh gosh. You have to read the comments after the Kirotv article. Annoying. They assume "the abuse" of the children as alleged by Julia was real. They wonder why M was returned so soon.

I'll tell ya' why, because the court system finally realized Julia was lying and because Julia finally realized it is no use to keep up the lie.

Did you get the feeling one of those might be the grandmother? Or Julia or someone close to her. I think both commenters might be the same person. They both put "fight" in quotation marks and the way they write sounds the same, and both very protective and making excuses for Julia. And sharply critical of SM and calling his Christianity into question and pulling the Muslim card. I wouldn't be surprised. Amazing point of view, that even if Julia killed one child, it shouldn't prevent her from visitation with the other one. Truly amazing. I don't think those comments are from 2 different random people, probably Julia or someone very close to her.

While I felt that Julia should have been stripped of all her parental rights, I can see where giving her the option for supervised visitation was a good choice. That way she can't say that she was denied visitation (even though she did just that to SM for almost a year).

The fact that the visits are supervised means that she won't be the one in control, she won't be the one playing the tune that everyone else has to dance to. Perhaps these visits will even be taped and analyzed to get clues about where Sky is or may capture her committing an offense that she can be charged with or may show her to be so unstable that she is committed involuntarily again.

It's frustrating having to be patient while LE and the child protection people do what they should but the fact is that this case won't go away because we would never let that happen. Julia's time is coming and the walls are closing in on her.

This is absolutely infuriating to me. It's pretty apparent to me that this woman has no concern regarding either of her grandchildren and I hope that M is never allowed to visit with her unsupervised as well. This is the craziest bunch of people I've ever seen.

IMO every word that passes from her lips makes me understand JB more & more. this doesnt EXCUSE JB mind you but it sure starts to look obvious where she started to go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55