WA-Teen returning airsoft gun to Renton store fatally shot by off-duty guard.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is so unbelievably sad. I could never live in any of the states where people are permitted to carry guns around in public. I find it really scary. There are so many unhinged people out there.

This poor kid has now lost his life for nothing. And just like all of the school shootings that occur, nothing will be done about it.

Myers’ lawyer, Michelle Scudder, said in an email that Myers sincerely believed he was witnessing the beginning of a violent crime and wanted to stop it before anyone got hurt.

“Mr. Myers and his family are devastated by this tragedy and the fact that it resulted in the loss of a young man’s life,” Scudder said. “We are confident that over the course of this investigation the evidence will show that Mr. Myers’ only intent that day was to protect himself and others from serious harm or death.”
[snip]
“Only a high bail, electronic home detention, and surrender of all firearms will protect the community from an untrained civilian who believes he has a duty to shoot people who have not hurt anyone,” Burke said.
Off-Duty Security Guard Killed Teen After Mistaking Toy For Gun, Authorities Say

I agree with prosecutors. If this guy ever makes bail these should be his conditions for release.

About Myers attorney:

Michelle Scudder is a former King County Prosecuting Attorney, where for over six years she prosecuted numerous trials to verdict involving violent crime, sex crimes, DUIs, economic crimes and weapons possessions. Michelle also worked as a supervising attorney in the District Court Unit where she filed and negotiated a large volume of cases, with a particular focus on DUI cases.

Having been a former criminal prosecuting attorney Michelle Scudder has invaluable insight into defending those charged with a crime and a superior understanding of how the system works.

Scudder Law Firm - Criminal Defense
Devastated or not, if you are a gun owner you take responsibility for every shot you fired. I cannot see any reason to shoot someone 6 times in the back and would expect a responsible gun owner to not shoot someone IN THE BACK 6 times. JMO

SPECULATION: That incident in 2022 left him with egg on his face and he wants badly to redeem himself. He was mistaken about seeing that man with a weapon, convinced himself there was one where none was present. I imagine that was somewhat embarrasing for ABM, to have the police see him be so wrong about that.

I think his joining this committee the city formed only further amped up his motivation to prove what a hero he is. The 4th he is named to be on the safetly committee. The 5th he takes his son to jujitsu class, while performing "overwatch" of the parking lot, maybe sees the LEOs that are there in that same lot.

Sees the teens carrying what he convinces himself is a glock. Sees an opportunity to proove his metal and rescue or assist officers from a threat they do not even see. Only he, who is performing overwatch sees it. He seizes the opportunity to be the hero and prevent the mass shooting event he imagines is around every corner it seems.

This poor kid has now lost his life for nothing. And just like all of the school shootings that occur, nothing will be done about it.
RS(and enlarged)BM

Yup, NOTHING will be done. AGAIN.

This story might be the one that breaks me. And I have seen a lot of things. I don't have any other words right now.

curious he is listed as principle on the security company, is he the company owner? and maybe sole employee?
Yes - he established the company last year. There is speculation that he did so because no one wanted to hire him as a security guard, etc. For obvious reasons. Trigger happy P*S that has ruined multiple lives and ended one with his paranoia. MOO of course.

Welll i suppose his actions will lead to his being safely tucked anyway in prison. As well as his communities being safe without him living in it. .
Yep, cold comfort for the still living teens he traumatized and the parents who lost a son. But that would at least prevent future losses due to this unusual person.

This is so unbelievably sad. I could never live in any of the states where people are permitted to carry guns around in public. I find it really scary. There are so many unhinged people out there.

Your scared of them. The people who might be unhinged. Is that what your saying?
I respect your concessions , I feel differently. I could never live in a state that would deny me my constitutional rights based on whatever the state thinks matters more to them. Anyway in America , only 4 states
California, Connecticut, Florida, and Illinois completely prohibited open carry for all firearms.

Does the Jitzu place have a facebook page?
He might be tagged there or something.

Good thinking. They do have a FB page, but their posts are pretty generic and have very little interaction. Maybe 1-2 likes on each, a couple comments but it's bot spam. I've scrolled through several posts and didn't see anything notable.

Edited to add: I also went through likes and comments on a few of the local police departments in that area. Nothing I could find. Perhaps he uses a pseudonym online? Seems unusual for someone who purports to be an involved community member to have no social media presence.

Last edited:
Reactions: nao
My biggest fear is that some bigoted group with a larger agenda will bail him out.
I think you can rest easy. This case seems way to "cut and dried" unjustifiable to generate alot of interest from political groups.

And, as demonstrated by a past group with a history of leftist militancy funding the bail of select criminals that they found to be attractive.....

Bail is a fundamentally a courtesy and can be rejected if the judge does not like the circumstances by which the bail is being funded.

Devastated or not, if you are a gun owner you take responsibility for every shot you fired. I cannot see any reason to shoot someone 6 times in the back and would expect a responsible gun owner to not shoot someone IN THE BACK 6 times. JMO

I would add "If you are a gun user." People handle and use guns they do not own (and IME, those people are more forgetful about the rules of gun safety as they are only intermittent gun users).

Owner or user, whoever has the weapon in their hand and activates the weapon is responsible for what happens.

This person is not a responsible gun user. At all. I do wonder how he got his weapon(s). Shooting an unarmed kid in the back is crazy behavior.

Was he ever actually "on duty"? I mean, did anyone, anywhere actually employ him as a security guard? We know he wasn't "on duty" but did he actually work for that mall as a guard at any point?

2 cents.

I would add "If you are a gun user." People handle and use guns they do not own (and IME, those people are more forgetful about the rules of gun safety as they are only intermittent gun users).

Owner or user, whoever has the weapon in their hand and activates the weapon is responsible for what happens.

This person is not a responsible gun user. At all. I do wonder how he got his weapon(s). Shooting an unarmed kid in the back is crazy behavior.

Was he ever actually "on duty"? I mean, did anyone, anywhere actually employ him as a security guard? We know he wasn't "on duty" but did he actually work for that mall as a guard at any point?

2 cents.
He is the whole security company, yeah he always on duty.
As a side note though, has anyone checked yelp to verify his hours of operation? Maybe he wont even be able to claim on duty for those hours. I dunno I aint look either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi
Back