WA WA - Tyler Christensen, 16, Mukilteo, 19 April 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do we know if something spurred this Search & Rescue attention? Wouldn't it mean that after this week of knowing he was headed to Shelton etc. that there's further focusing in to search? Surely S&R won't just search aimlessly, there must be something specific they now know? But surely they would have said?

They didn't say but it does seem weird if it's not following a specific tip. Needle in a haystack is an underestimate for a single hiker out there, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn't say but it does seem weird if it's not following a specific tip. Needle in a haystack is an underestimate for a single hiker out there, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I'm thinking. Not to be crass, but in an area that vast, a helicopter + ground + K9 is not cheap and takes a ton of man hours. I can't imagine they'd head out hoping to find him randomly without tips about specific location or situation/danger of imminent harm.

I hope he's ok & they find him soon so he can be reunited with his parents & get whatever help is needed.

I am sure hoping this new effort is related to a reliable tip of a specific sighting of Tyler! I am ready for a good ending to this story, and can't even imagine the ongoing heartache and worry of his family. If this recent search comes up empty-handed though, I have some questions maybe you all can weigh in on... And forgive me if this is something that has already been suggested, but I haven't seen it specifically addressed... Since Tyler was "not the kind of person" to leave permanently without any contact to reassure family, is it possible that he left for a planned hike/adventure of a day or two, not telling family he was going because they would tell him it wasn't safe and not to go, and he just didn't want to deal with the conflict? Maybe he was assuming he would come back or contact family before anyone was seriously worried (as a teen might reason) but then something happened to him? Like maybe he was picked up by another person while hitchhiking (after the one who called in the tip) and that person abducted him? A boy on his own might feel invincible, but is, in actuality, vulnerable to a lot of things. I started thinking about this possibility specifically after there was no contact from Tyler by Mother's Day. I mean, I would think a teen who had a close relationship with his family would at least reach out to reassure his mom on that day. Everyone says he is a thoughtful and responsible boy. So to me that suggests he has not been able to make contact. Hoping I am wrong and he is just hiking out there, unaware of the angst of his family. But by all accounts, he was smart and close to his family, so how could he be thinking that? I realize teens do drastic things sometimes, but he sounds responsible enough to at least think of his family's feelings. The time ticking by has me more worried for his safety, not less. Just some thoughts... Open to input from others. And still praying for Tyler's safe return!!!

Maybe he was assuming he would come back or contact family before anyone was seriously worried (as a teen might reason) but then something happened to him? Like maybe he was picked up by another person while hitchhiking (after the one who called in the tip) and that person abducted him?

it's always possible but I really don't feel Tyler is a good candidate for abduction. Yes, he's only 16 (those picking him up wouldn't know that), but he's also 5'11, 145lbs+, and has strength/agility/youth on his side. I mean for anyone to even bother picking up a hitchhiker late at night..they're taking a major risk themselves. Tyler could have a pocket knife or some sort of weapon on him to use against someone if needed.

The only scenario I can imagine playing out that would work against Tyler would be if the abductor had a gun or if there was another person in the vehicle who is helping the abductor.
but the chance of that happening is close to zero. The odds of being abducted by a stranger is 1 in 610,000 according to one study. You have a better chance of dying in a plane crash or getting struck by lightning.

Some sources (not the best I know):
https://wandrlymagazine.com/article/hitchhiking/
http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/stranger-child-abductions-actually-very-rare-130514.htm
http://www.snipeme.com/archive.php?year=2004&rant=strangers
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

Sadly, those who eventually do decide to commit suicide are said to be in "good spirits" by those that were in last contact with them. It's like they are through with the struggle of the decision and are ready to do it, so they seem to be okay, even happy. I really hope that is not the case with Tyler, but I know that it is true in many cases.

Sadly, we read of way too many suicides on WS. I often worry about my 16 yr old Grandson and have told him to call me before he even thinks about doing anything drastic like that. Hes home life sucks!! Not that he will call, but sometimes he seems to be on the edge.

Is it possible that Tyler was not actually going hiking in the Olympic National Park and just said that to give an answer to this stranger about where he was going/what he was doing out by himself? I'm not at all trying to make Tyler out to be some kind of liar, please don't think that! �� But...we do know that he did tell his family that he was going to youth group, and he wasn't actually. So it stands to reason that maybe he told this stranger an untruth, as well. This could have been simply because he didn't want to tell this person "I'm running away from home" and so he thought he should have a plausible reason for why he was traveling. Or maybe he made it up because he figured that his family would search for him, there would be missing posters and media coverage of him, and he didn't want this person to be able to pass on accurate information to the authorities. In other words, what if the Olympic Peninsula story was told by Tyler just to throw people off track?

I know it's a long shot that a 16 year old would bother to throw people off, or that he would even think to come up with something as unique as "hiking in the Olympic". But, if I were trying to leave home and I truly did not want anyone to ever find me, then I can't imagine telling a random stranger what my true plans are. Because knowing my family as I do, I would KNOW they would move heaven and earth to try and find me. My parents would be on every media outlet that exists begging for help, and so I would know better than to tell a stranger accurate information, just in case they saw my parents on TV and then contacted them with the information. Which sounds like is what happened with this person who called in the tip. Tyler seems like a smart enough young man to also think of this. Which is why it occurred to me that maybe he made up the hiking story.

But if not, and if it's true, it honestly makes this case even more puzzling than before!! If you're going to run away, why run to a wilderness area with limited supplies and no crowds of people to blend in with? What's the long term plan? Most 16 year olds love to be with friends, want a girlfriend at some point, want a cell phone, a car, a job, etc. So unless he was planning to hike a few days and then move on to a city, the whole scenario is just bizarre. Which leads me to believe that if he is hiking, camping, etc. then there must have been a plan to meet up with someone and have the "adventure" together. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem likely or very compelling of an idea for a teenager that seemed to be quite sociable. (I'm basing that off of his youth group participation and I've seen him in group photos with other kids his age, and so on).

Perhaps his nature is more reclusive than it seems and he wanted to be hike alone. But it is fairly improbable. I have four younger brothers, two that are currently around Tyler's age, and two that are now in their 20s. I can't imagine any of my brothers thinking it would be "fun" to hike or camp alone. Hike or camp with a friend or a group, yes, absolutely. But alone for days or weeks or even months on end? Not a chance. Doesn't mean Tyler is just like them, but I only have that experience to draw from. ��

As a side note, I'm surprised this person who gave Tyler a ride didn't find it odd that he was going hiking during a school week. Surely he must have asked Tyler why he was going at this particular time, for how long, and who he was going with, why he didn't have a ride, etc? Unless he just thought Tyler was older than 16?

Well, the truth is that we don't have some important pieces of the puzzle, so we are all guessing pretty much blind. For
example, LE has said they have reason to believe he "made plans" to leave "of his own volition" which I would imagine points to some activity or interaction that they found on some electronic device. In that case, they have probably been working from that evidence all along, and we are not privy to any of that info. But it could have been very vague anyway I suppose. I am hoping this new search effort means a new, credible lead. It just doesn't seem in character, from what everyone has said, for Tyler to stay gone for so long without giving any thought or care to his family's worry and wanting to reassure them. Strange indeed.

Well, the truth is that we don't have some important pieces of the puzzle, so we are all guessing pretty much blind. For
example, LE has said they have reason to believe he "made plans" to leave "of his own volition" which I would imagine points to some activity or interaction that they found on some electronic device. In that case, they have probably been working from that evidence all along, and we are not privy to any of that info. But it could have been very vague anyway I suppose. I am hoping this new search effort means a new, credible lead. It just doesn't seem in character, from what everyone has said, for Tyler to stay gone for so long without giving any thought or care to his family's worry and wanting to reassure them. Strange indeed.

Or "made plans" meant that they discovered that he had the backpack. Not electronic evidence, but indication that this was somewhat planned.

Is it possible that Tyler was not actually going hiking in the Olympic National Park and just said that to give an answer to this stranger about where he was going/what he was doing out by himself? I'm not at all trying to make Tyler out to be some kind of liar, please don't think that!

That's a possibility. Hitchhikers do lie when they aren't sure where they're headed or they don't trust the person who picked them up. They might say they're headed to a certain place to meet up with friends or whatever, and make it seem like they know where they are going, when really they aren't going to any specific destination.

If he did lie to the guy who picked him up than he's consistently been a good liar.

I do wonder if he told the guy his real name or did he use a different name?

Ugh. Like a punch in the stomach - his backpack found. Can't think of a good reason why he would voluntarily ditch his backpack. I'm so worried about this kid.

I guess that explains the sudden searches in that area.

Where are you, Tyler..... :(

Ugh. Like a punch in the stomach - his backpack found. Can't think of a good reason why he would voluntarily ditch his backpack. I'm so worried about this kid.

I guess that explains the sudden searches in that area.

Where are you, Tyler..... :(

That's how it felt to me too. I can't imagine how his family must feel. My worry doubled when Mother's Day passed without a word.

It's cold outside at night. I hope he's somewhere warm & safe. It's been a month and regardless as to why he left, he's still a child and that is way too long.

This is such distressing news. Hopefully, his so-called plans he divulged the night he was picked up by the driver was nothing but false info he gave and his backpack was purposely left by Tyler... with the hope he is safe elsewhere. That's what I'm starting to believe... that he said he was going to Shelton or the Olympic mountains, but his intention was another location. Where was the exact location that his backpack was found?

This is such distressing news. Hopefully, his so-called plans he divulged the night he was picked up by the driver was nothing but false info he gave and his backpack was purposely left by Tyler... with the hope he is safe elsewhere. That's what I'm starting to believe... that he said he was going to Shelton or the Olympic mountains, but his intention was another location. Where was the exact location that his backpack was found?

This is what I am starting to believe, as well! IMO, it seems to be the only possibility that makes sense right now. (As much as this can "make sense"). Or maybe, I am just hoping this is the case. Because if he truly did leave home to camp and hike for awhile; to just go on an adventure, as his sister mentioned, then it does not look good for him, at the moment. :( I can't fathom why someone staying out in the wilderness would just abandon their food and other supplies, unless something bad had befallen them. So I definitely hope that the backpack was left behind to sort of "stage the scene" and that Tyler is safe in a town or city by now.

However, as much as I believe/hope for that to be the case, there are some things about that scenario that just don't fit, IMHO. It seems odd that he would have packed a backpack with some good supplies, if he was just going to drop the bag and move on. Wouldn't the bag alone have been enough to leave behind, without the food and blankets, etc? Why go to the trouble and expense to purchase camping supplies to put in the bag? (Unless he did actually camp for a few nights before moving on).

Secondly, if the bag was left behind to make LE think he is in the National Park, then he had to be banking on LE actually looking around the Peninsula. As far as I know, LE and the family never thought to look in that area until the tip was called in. Just seems like a stretch that Tyler would leave the bag in the park, wanting it to be found and connected to him, UNLESS he felt pretty sure he had left behind enough clues to lead them there. Almost like he knew the man who gave him a ride would call in the tip! Probably not, but it's just something I am speculating on. Perhaps he thought they would find other clues, like on ferry cameras or something.

And lastly, the other oddity I can't reconcile with is, how badly would a person not want to be found if they would leave a false trail? :( What in the world would be so wrong that a 16 year old would plot and plan such a thing? Wouldn't that be something almost so devious and coldhearted that it would seem out of character for Tyler? I can see a 16 year old running away and not wanting to be found and even lying to people along the way. But to abandon the backpack like that almost seems to indicate he wants them to think he perished in the woods or that something terrible happened to him! And that's something that I just can't imagine him doing to his family, especially his sisters, based off of what we have gathered of his personality and character. So as much as I tend to lean towards the backpack just being a part of a trail of false clues left behind, I just can't make all of it fit perfectly! Really not sure what to think...and I'm guessing his family probably feel the same right now. :(

Also, to answer your question, Kodiak, about where the backpack was located... on the "Help Find Tyler" page, they purposely would not say where the backpack was found. But I believe it was found deep in the National Park somewhere. Because when someone asked in the comment section, Tyler's sister (or whoever was manning the page) refused to answer and said they didn't want the public to try and go looking in the area where it was found because it's a dangerous area. I'm just speculating "dangerous" meant deep enough into the park where someone might become lost, or fall and hurt themselves. But that's only my opinion and speculation. Frankly, I think I would share the location so people could be on the lookout, but perhaps LE asked them not to.

Two other things about this newest update: If the backpack was found last Friday (per the post on the "Help Find Tyler" page), why was the public only notified now? I know they might have thought there wasn't much anyone could do to help on Friday, if LE was actively searching then. But now, almost a week later, they are asking for the public to post fliers and be on the lookout in the general area. It seems it would have been even more beneficial 5 days ago, as soon as they confirmed he was/had been in the Peninsula area. The delay seems odd. Could it be that LE thought Tyler is able to watch social media and didn't want him to know they found the bag yet for some reason? Or maybe they were concerned Tyler was injured somewhere nearby and didn't even tell his family yet about the backpack, until they could confirm that Tyler was or wasn't near the bag? All just speculation on my part.

The second thing is that the update stated that a "a couple of used emergency foil blankets" were found, as in more than one. Seems to confirm that Tyler did spend at least one night outdoors, if not more. But it is interesting that there was more than one blanket. I'm guessing this was just because he knew it would be cold, so he packed extra. However, it did cross my mind that maybe he did meet up with someone and the extra blanket was for that person.

The update also was so shocking and sad and had a sense of even more helplessness.
I'm wondering if the backpack being found in a dangerous place means it's from a great height, like that Vance Creek Bridge mentioned in some of the comments on the official page. Perhaps they don't want people going there as it's dangerous. Perhaps they suspect he did try to go to that bridge and the backpack appeared to have fallen from the bridge but they can't find him. Just pure speculation.
I was intrigued by the contents in the backpack, although there could have been more things. It's interesting he brought foil blankets.
I wish they would at least narrow down where the backpack was found. I wonder also who found it. It must have had something identifying that it was his?

Two other things about this newest update: If the backpack was found last Friday (per the post on the "Help Find Tyler" page), why was the public only notified now? I know they might have thought there wasn't much anyone could do to help on Friday, if LE was actively searching then. But now, almost a week later, they are asking for the public to post fliers and be on the lookout in the general area. It seems it would have been even more beneficial 5 days ago, as soon as they confirmed he was/had been in the Peninsula area. The delay seems odd. Could it be that LE thought Tyler is able to watch social media and didn't want him to know they found the bag yet for some reason? Or maybe they were concerned Tyler was injured somewhere nearby and didn't even tell his family yet about the backpack, until they could confirm that Tyler was or wasn't near the bag? All just speculation on my part.

The second thing is that the update stated that a "a couple of used emergency foil blankets" were found, as in more than one. Seems to confirm that Tyler did spend at least one night outdoors, if not more. But it is interesting that there was more than one blanket. I'm guessing this was just because he knew it would be cold, so he packed extra. However, it did cross my mind that maybe he did meet up with someone and the extra blanket was for that person.

Perhaps the backpack was found Friday, but not reported until some time after? In the lost and found for a few days until it occurred to someone that this may be Tylers'?

Perhaps the backpack was found Friday, but not reported until some time after? In the lost and found for a few days until it occurred to someone that this may be Tylers'?

So the Search & Rescue was Saturday, as a result of the backpack being found Friday (we didn't know about the backpack until now). So they didn't share why the search happened, but it appears that it was found Friday and must have had something identifying that the family was notified and got a helicopter search the next day.

I'm trying to think why his backpack would be found and not him: his body was washed away into some body of water? a wild animal took him away? he left it and planned to come back for it but someone found it and took it (and maybe some of the things in it)? or an animal took it and moved it? Very unnerving that it's found without him in such a likely-remote area.

This new update is heartbreaking. I hope they are able to find him so that his family can have closure. They were so certain that he would never run away, or struggle emotionally. It really just goes to show how much us parents can be in the dark when it comes to our kids and their struggles. I know my own boys have struggled with thoughts of harming themselves (not that we know what happened to Tyler) and I didn't find out about my kids' struggles until years later. I'm thankful they never acted on them, but I was certainly in the dark. My prayers go out to Tyler's family and I hope they find him.

Ah, you might be exactly right. I had been thinking that it was LE that came across the backpack, after searching in the general area. But if it was just some random person who came across it and turned it in somewhere, it may have taken a little bit of time to figure out that it was Tyler's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back