WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is in the photo? Is it someone you think is Lyle as a child or relative?
If we're comparing him to Lyle; ears are wrong.

That is what I thought. It is the 'Scooper' that I am looking for that led me to this thread. The kid in the photo was born in 1960, taken from family in 1968 and his last known whereabouts was sometime in the 90s in Washington. So looking for him led me to Lyle's thread.

I also have an observation...

For those of you who think he had other intentions when renting the room...then assuming that he did select his alias from a book which involves suicide, then why not check in under his real name or something completely unrelated to suicide, like 'Tom Smith'? I think he truly planned on following through when he rented the room.

It kind of seems like suicide was his ultimate goal, but I don't think he planned to do it here. I get the impression he was planning to go somewhere else farther down the line -- probably into Canada -- but wasn't able to for some reason. Ran out of money? Couldn't get through the border post-9/11? I dunno.

That is what I thought. It is the 'Scooper' that I am looking for that led me to this thread. The kid in the photo was born in 1960, taken from family in 1968 and his last known whereabouts was sometime in the 90s in Washington. So looking for him led me to Lyle's thread.

Do you have access to paid resources to search for people?

Yes, not even a week. I wonder if the Vancouver border was even open when he got there? The border here (New England) was closed for at least several days afterward.

I have a colleague that was in Manhattan on business on 9/11. She managed to get back to Ontario a couple of days afterwards on a train. It took effort on her part, but she had young kids and her paperwork was solid.

IF, LS was trying to get into Canada, for whatever reason, he should have been able to, if he was Canadian and had the appropriate paperwork.

Now, if his paperwork was not up to snuff and if he had been involved in something illegal, even if not related to 9/11, well then maybe suicide became a 'better option'.

I have a colleague that was in Manhattan on business on 9/11. She managed to get back to Ontario a couple of days afterwards on a train. It took effort on her part, but she had young kids and her paperwork was solid.

IF, LS was trying to get into Canada, for whatever reason, he should have been able to, if he was Canadian and had the appropriate paperwork.

Now, if his paperwork was not up to snuff and if he had been involved in something illegal, even if not related to 9/11, well then maybe suicide became a 'better option'.

Thanks. I know the company I was with had several people stranded in Toronto for about a week, but I can't recall whether that was a border problem or just inability to get ground transportation. I assume it was harder to get into the US than for a Canadian to leave to go back to Canada.

Thanks. I know the company I was with had several people stranded in Toronto for about a week, but I can't recall whether that was a border problem or just inability to get ground transportation. I assume it was harder to get into the US than for a Canadian to leave to go back to Canada.

Many flights were delayed due to the back-log created on that horrible day, imo.
If LS was Aboriginal he may have been free to cross borders.

Yes, it certainly was. We had many wonderful 'guests', who were most lovely and appreciative. Such a horrible event brought out deep feelings of love and caring all around.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44391951/ns/us_news-9_11_ten_years_later/t/unlikely-place-human-face/#.Ugg1VH-KLl9

Ok the family member verified tonight that Lyle is not there brother. I need to keep searching for this kid. :(

Yes, not even a week. I wonder if the Vancouver border was even open when he got there? The border here (New England) was closed for at least several days afterward.

I wrote this really longwinded reply, but when I went to post I had been logged out, so here is the gist of it:

-the border was only closed for a day, or two max. Too much trade of people and things to keep it closed for a long time.

- I don't think my Ukrainian int'l student from western Canada works anymore because he was wearing underwear from JC Penny, which we don't have in Canada, but it is possible he went shopping in the States and bought it there.

-his attire (plaid shirt and Timberlands) is well suited for the east coast for the middle of September, but maybe not so for the west coast. Although I checked the weather for the week of September 10, 2001 and it was cooler on the west coast than the east.

-the farthest point west in the continental US is Cape Blanco, OR, which is 7 hours south of Grays Harbor, WA. When Meridian, ID is added to this it makes a triangle. Meridian, ID is near Boise, which naturally has large highways leading to and from it, and I notice that Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't too far from there. Plus his clothes wouldn't be out of place there either for that time of year.

I don't know what this could mean/does mean/if it means anything at all. What I do know is that I was not right before.

I wrote this really longwinded reply, but when I went to post I had been logged out, so here is the gist of it:

-the border was only closed for a day, or two max. Too much trade of people and things to keep it closed for a long time.

- I don't think my Ukrainian int'l student from western Canada works anymore because he was wearing underwear from JC Penny, which we don't have in Canada, but it is possible he went shopping in the States and bought it there.

-his attire (plaid shirt and Timberlands) is well suited for the east coast for the middle of September, but maybe not so for the west coast. Although I checked the weather for the week of September 10, 2001 and it was cooler on the west coast than the east.

-the farthest point west in the continental US is Cape Blanco, OR, which is 7 hours south of Grays Harbor, WA. When Meridian, ID is added to this it makes a triangle. Meridian, ID is near Boise, which naturally has large highways leading to and from it, and I notice that Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't too far from there. Plus his clothes wouldn't be out of place there either for that time of year.

I don't know what this could mean/does mean/if it means anything at all. What I do know is that I was not right before.

does anyone have a link to the source information that LS was wearing JC Penny underwear?

ezuke, please don't give up on your theory just yet! All theories are good theories until proven otherwise!

I appreciate you posting your ideas here. (And, hey, aren't there a lot of Ukrainians in Winnipeg?)

And we're still grateful for the love and support. Thank you.

It wasn't just the hosts...if was also the classy guests.

There is no doubt that the same love and support would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot.

In the end, we're pretty much all the same...we all care about each other. It's wonderful to have such great neighbours.

does anyone have a link to the source information that LS was wearing JC Penny underwear?

ezuke, please don't give up on your theory just yet! All theories are good theories until proven otherwise!

I appreciate you posting your ideas here. (And, hey, aren't there a lot of Ukrainians in Winnipeg?)

It was actually the Hanes brand: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11100

Oh! I had no idea. I was basing the JC Penny brand off a thread within WS about Lyle.

I hope this link works:http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142870

I can copy/paste it here as well:

10-18-2006, 11:14 PM I couldn't find a brand name on the belt. On the inside are the words "genuine leather made in USA" along with "7301" and "L31". The buckle isn't silver, there are no markings on it.

I had checked the name (both spellings) through Accurint, which is a much larger database available to Law Enforcement. There is a Lyle Stevick in Oregon. He is an older gentleman who was alive and well, and not missing any relatives. There were some Steviks from the East coast, but no Lyles.

I was sure that Lyle Stevik was an assumed name, but I checked it out anyway, in the chance it was his real name. I continue to call him Lyle, because I feel John Doe is so impersonal.

There were several "burger joints" close by, as well as a mini mart. There were no food wrappers in his trash, but there was a small soft drink cup (one with coke printed on the outside). He did probably eat during his stay, but didn't bring any food back with him

He was wearing boxers. Dark colored print, possibly JC Penny (as I recall). Stomach was empty, so his last meal was at least 5 hours before his death.

As for JCPenney though, it is possible for Canadian residents to buy their products online.

All the brand names that he wore are widely available over here. Hanes is widely available at Sears and Walmart stores in Canada. Fruit of the Loom is sold at Zellers (now defunct), Walmart, Sears, etc.

Timberland shoes can be found just about everywhere around Canada. I've been able to buy several pairs around Vancouver.

As for the belt, it would be inconclusive. He could have bought it down in the States or it could have been an import.

I'd like to find out the brand name of the plaid shirt, that would be of interest to me.

To me, the dental work and the clothing indicates that he spent most of his life in North America.

As for JCPenney though, it is possible for Canadian residents to buy their products online.

All the brand names that he wore are widely available over here. Hanes is widely available at Sears and Walmart stores in Canada. Fruit of the Loom is sold at Zellers (now defunct), Walmart, Sears, etc.

Timberland shoes can be found just about everywhere around Canada. I've been able to buy several pairs around Vancouver.

As for the belt, it would be inconclusive. He could have bought it down in the States or it could have been an import.

I'd like to find out the brand name of the plaid shirt, that would be of interest to me.

To me, the dental work and the clothing indicates that he spent most of his life in North America.

That style of shirt is often made by the Lee brand..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...on-Shirt-L-K-Blues-Browns-White-/151094266232

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma