WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know. Some of his later post-mortem photos look like he is Native American. Although he has orbital edema and his face has some diffuse swelling. His profile does look different compared to pictures taken at the motel room. The immediate post-mortem pictures make it really difficult… well, we know he’s not Asian, he’s not Black… but the options remain open for all ethnic groups/ populations. He more strikes me as Eastern/Southern European or from Northern Middle East/ Caucasus.

I agree. I think you need to look at the crime scene photos to get the best feel of how he looked.

I can't confidently pin any ethnicity on him - he could be any combination of anything. I recall he had no chest hair and I'm not sure if that's because he's on the younger side of the estimated age scale or if it's a clue to his ethnic background. Were his arms hairy? I don't remember seeing any body hair aside from on his legs which is unusual as he's light skinned with dark hair and thick eyebrows.

I agree. I think you need to look at the crime scene photos to get the best feel of how he looked.

I can't confidently pin any ethnicity on him with - he could be any combination of anything. I recall he had no chest hair and I'm not sure if that's because he's on the younger side of the estimated age scale or if it's a clue to his ethnic background. Were his arms hairy? I don't remember seeing any body hair aside from on his legs which is unusual as he's light skinned with dark hair and thick eyebrows.

It’s not typical but can be possible. He could have waxed his body/chest hair. There are some men who are darker that don’t have a lot of body hair, and some who are as dark and have too much body hair. Of course, that’s just genetics, hormones, and may or may not provide much clue about his ethnic background.
Most men with darker complexion have body hair. Yes, he could have just been younger than he is believed to have been.

I don't know how helpful this is but I found this passage by Carleton S. Coon:

attachment.php

Lyle does look like he could be of Armenian or Turkish descent among the many other possibilities.

Attachments

• Image3-4.jpg
    Image3-4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 134
Does the absence of shovel teeth rule out any Native American descent?

With how Native American he looks in the PM photos and early recons, one would think he would have shovel teeth. I do not know how far removed from a Native American ancestor you would have to be to not have the shovel teeth.

I have a thread called Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy? where I posted that we did our DNA at Ancestry, my mother in law's father's mother and grand father are supposed to be Native American. My son didn't show any Native American in his results. I don't have a name for the grandfather's wife so I'm not sure if her fathers mother was full or half Native. My son does not have shovel teeth, to my knowledge neither does my mother in law. I'm going to have to send her the photos to ask if she remembers her father or uncle's teeth being like that because they would have shovel teeth for sure because he would have been either full Native or half. I am going to ask if she'd consider doing her DNA at ancestry.

I've also thought that the person who posted it mistook the UID for Jonathan Depatie, who was found dead in 2011.

I've also thought that the person who posted it mistook the UID for Jonathan Depatie, who was found dead in 2011.

I don't think so. His remains were found in 2012 If I am not mistaken. I think someone who knew him would have heard the news, and if not, they would have looked it up. The comment on findagrave was posted a few weeks back.

Jonathan is a pretty common name. We can't just assume that the person meant someone in a missing persons database.

My thoughts: First I thought about 9/11 and Lyle being a muslim who somehow came through Canada and had trouble going to USA, lost weight while keeping the little money (crisp brand new money) he had and then saw the hijacking news in the newspaper and knew he had to commit suicide since his muslim friends were dead.

Second thought: He does indeed look Native American, but then, in Canada these days, when you look for "missing native men" the internet comes up with Missing Native Women, because there is a covered scandal going on about Native women being murdered without any concern by the police force.

I agree. I've previously thought that it was maybe an acquaintance or a distant friend who heard about the news in later times. But I realized that my thought didn't make a lot of sense in this situation. You're right, Jonathan is a common name.

Sorry for the year mistake, some articles I read 2011, but I didn't know it was 2012.

Does the absence of shovel teeth rule out any Native American descent?

No. I have the shovel teeth, my son had a couple in the back. And my teeth are a lot straighter than these pictured above.

Edited, because two of his back teeth were considered shovel, but not to the extreme of looking like them.

And apparently, I need to go back to bed lol.

Brainy, you and Roselvr are doing a great job here. If anyone breaks this case, I think you two will succeed.

Brainy, you and Roselvr are doing a great job here. If anyone breaks this case, I think you two will succeed.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tulessa.

If you have been reading the previous posts, there has been a problem with Lyle’s DNA. I am in the process of working and contacting a private company (that will be tomorrow) that has the technology of processing and extracting DNA from given samples. Even though it sounds exciting, I don’t know yet if we’d be able to change or gain some results, but I really hope something may come up to give Lyle back his identity.
Whatever information I have I will be directing it to Lane Youmans and see if there is anything that he can do. There was a mention of working with ancestry and others, but those companies do have a lot of limitations and not the latest technology. I am hoping that after the appropriate DNA is obtained, it can be sent to companies like ancestry in our hopes of connecting Lyle to his loved ones.

I don’t want to give up on this.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tulessa.

If you have been reading the previous posts, there has been a problem with Lyle’s DNA. I am in the process of working and contacting a private company (that will be tomorrow) that has the technology of processing and extracting DNA from given samples. Even though it sounds exciting, I don’t know yet if we’d be able to change or gain some results, but I really hope something may come up to give Lyle back his identity.
Whatever information I have I will be directing it to Lane Youmans and see if there is anything that he can do. There was a mention of working with ancestry and others, but those companies do have a lot of limitations and not the latest technology. I am hoping that after the appropriate DNA is obtained, it can be sent to companies like ancestry in our hopes of connecting Lyle to his loved ones.

I don’t want to give up on this.

Gosh! What a brilliant idea! I'll stay glue to this thread!

There are lots of missing persons who share similarities with Lyle but no sketch or photo is available which is incredibly frustrating. I find myself sifting through every database at least once a week even though I know he's not there.

Is it possible he was reported missing but lived in an isolated (or rural) area and his case never made it into any online database or even past his town? He was at least twenty years old, possibly a drifter and there was no sign of foul play so his local police department might not have felt any urgency to locate him.

There are lots of missing persons who share similarities with Lyle but no sketch or photo is available which is incredibly frustrating. I find myself sifting through every database at least once a week even though I know he's not there.

Is it possible he was reported missing but lived in an isolated (or rural) area and his case never made it into any online database or even past his town? He was at least twenty years old, possibly a drifter and there was no sign of foul play so his local police department might not have felt any urgency to locate him.

Maybe or maybe not. Records get lost all the time, or maybe it was reported and there was no follow-up since LE didn’t suspect foul play/ didn’t have any evidence of anything suspicious happening. But we don’t know if records have been or haven’t been lost since we don’t know Lyle’s real identity.

Hi, would you be willing to share the results?

Sorry folks , I've been horribly sick for the last few weeks. I'm just now going through all the posts I missed. Sure I'll share. First I'll start by sharing mine:

33% Scandinavia (Norwegian and Denmark)
29% Irish
26% Swiss
10% Italy/Greece
1% Iberian Peninsula
1% Great Britain

#1 daughter came back as:

1% African Ivory Coast/Ghana
1% African Southeastern Bantu
23% Native American
2% Asia Central
26% Great Britain
15% Italy/Greece
10% Europe West
8% Scandinavia
5% Iberian Peninsula
3% Ireland
2% Europe East
2% Finland/Northwest Russia
1% European Jewish
1% Middle Eastern

#2 daughter came back as:

16% Native American
31% Scandinavia
24% Italy/Greece
10% Ireland
10% Iberian Peninsula
2% Europe West
2% Great Britain
2% European Jewish
1% Europe East
1% Finland/Northwest Russia

I listed all the trace amounts too because they are SO crazy. Now. Keep in mind both my daughters have the same father, who is Mexican. His parents were born in California, but his grandparents were born in Mexico. #1 daughter is Olive complected, brown hair and brown eyes, #2 daughter is ivory complected with green eyes and light brown hair. All of the ethnicities that came up in my daughters' DNA that aren't mine are obviously from my husband's side and he always swore that he was "just" Mexican. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, he did pick that name because it meant something to him. And yes, I do agree with your observation that he had had thought of suicide at last for a while. Yes, I think you are right. If he just wanted to die with no trace he could have walked into wilderness and die of exposure somewhere very remote. But I think it’s unlikely that he did that based on the fact that he had thought of suicide, and was not a decision of the moment. I think the longer it is thought about the more likely the person have determination and pick a route that’s relatively fast. Even the way he hanged himself, he knelt down to suffocate… he could have stood up at any point and choose to live rather than die. It tells me that this person didn’t have a change of heart and acted with great determination. I don’t think it was due to an impulsive decision... his planning was very thorough.

I live near the Angeles National Forest in California and I can't tell you how many people go up into the forest and kill themselves and nobody knows. They plan it and they don't want to be found and they aren't for a loooooong time. With Lyle, he was IN the forest. He could've done something similar, but he chose to do it in a motel where SOMEONE would find him in a matter of a couple of days. Of course, would he even be concerned about that? I mean, obviously he was troubled. He might not have been thinking about details or the outcome.

Dodgerchick... I find the results you posted for your dna profiles very interesting. My husband and I have considered doing the test just to see what it will say about each of us but we've not acted on that thought just yet. I still have my reservations about it for a few reasons, mostly I'm concerned about privacy. But the science is amazing nonetheless. Maybe one day I'll feel more comfortable and be able to do it.

Your daughters dna's blow me away. Same mother and father yet such different profiles.

Sorry folks , I've been horribly sick for the last few weeks. I'm just now going through all the posts I missed. Sure I'll share. First I'll start by sharing mine:

33% Scandinavia (Norwegian and Denmark)
29% Irish
26% Swiss
10% Italy/Greece
1% Iberian Peninsula
1% Great Britain

#1 daughter came back as:

1% African Ivory Coast/Ghana
23% Native American
2% Asia Central
26% Great Britain
15% Italy/Greece
10% Europe West
8% Scandinavia
5% Iberian Peninsula
3% Ireland
2% Europe East
2% Finland/Northwest Russia
1% European Jewish
1% Middle Eastern

#2 daughter came back as:

16% Native American
31% Scandinavia
24% Italy/Greece
10% Ireland
10% Iberian Peninsula
2% Europe West
2% Great Britain
2% European Jewish
1% Europe East
1% Finland/Northwest Russia

I listed all the trace amounts too because they are SO crazy. Now. Keep in mind both my daughters have the same father, who is Mexican. His parents were born in California, but his grandparents were born in Mexico. #1 daughter is Olive complected, brown hair and brown eyes, #2 daughter is ivory complected with green eyes and light brown hair. All of the ethnicities that came up in my daughters' DNA that aren't mine are obviously from my husband's side and he always swore that he was "just" Mexican. Lol

Did you test him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members