WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this person has already been suggested; I searched the threads and got no hits.

I know the 14 year gap is something, however, he left under unusual circumstances.
After seeing the mp with the lighter hair, I must say I think this man looks like the jd, especially the eyes, tip of nose and the lips. Let me know what you think and thank you.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sampson_david.html

Forgive me if this person has already been suggested; I searched the threads and got no hits.

I know the 14 year gap is something, however, he left under unusual circumstances.
After seeing the mp with the lighter hair, I must say I think this man looks like the jd, especially the eyes, tip of nose and the lips. Let me know what you think and thank you.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sampson_david.html

1977 to 2001 = 24 years
David Sampson was 21 when missing, would make him 45

Chin is all wrong, though. Zino has a little weak receding chin, and I don't think it's an illusion from his pose in the photo.

Happy new year everyone! I'm hoping 2016 is THE year for Lyle :)

Back in May/June I posted regarding Tihomir (Tim) Maletic
http://www.nampn.org/cases/maletic_tim.html

I did submit him as a possibility for Lyle & just yesterday I sent a follow up email which I got a reply stating that it was passed onto the investigators and that they (Missing Persons & Unidentified Bodies Unit (MPUB) don't usually receive results after a tip is submitted

Should I contact those investigators now? If yes who???
I just have this feeling about Tim & until Im proven wrong I wont let it go ;)

Hoping someone can help

Happy new year everyone! I'm hoping 2016 is THE year for Lyle :)

Back in May/June I posted regarding Tihomir (Tim) Maletic
http://www.nampn.org/cases/maletic_tim.html

I did submit him as a possibility for Lyle & just yesterday I sent a follow up email which I got a reply stating that it was passed onto the investigators and that they (Missing Persons & Unidentified Bodies Unit (MPUB) don't usually receive results after a tip is submitted

Should I contact those investigators now? If yes who???
I just have this feeling about Tim & until Im proven wrong I wont let it go ;)

Hoping someone can help

The timeline is a bit long but if you think about it, Tim would've been 34/35 in 2001. Isn't that within Lyle's age range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The timeline is a bit long but if you think about it, Tim would've been 34/35 in 2001. Isn't that within Lyle's age range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is on the older side but Mediterranean men do look a bit younger, if he is in fact from that background

ETA. What would rule him out quickly is if Tim had an appendectomy scar. I cant find that information

Lyle's ancestry was just discussed on Reddit in /r/genetics, with interesting results. There were no findings of Native American ancestry. Somebody with extensive knowledge of genetics and ancestry gave a detailed post of their observations:

1. His eyebrows were focused on first. The poster has attributed this to the caucasus region, pointing towards peoples of Turkic, Jewish, Greek, Armenian, and Iranic South Russian to name a few.

2. His jaw and head proportions, as well as his lips and nose were estimated to be traits of North Atlantic European peoples, giving Ireland as a prime example.

3. His eye shape appeared to be a Mediterranean trait.

4. The poster's guesstimate is that Lyle could be Irish mixed with Ashkenazi Jewish, Southern Italian, Greek, Turkish, or Balkan.

Interesting

The initial round of Lyle's isotope testing has come back, and it showed that he did some traveling through the Southern States.

The initial round of Lyle's isotope testing has come back, and it showed that he did some traveling through the Southern States.

Does this mean for a short period of time he traveled through the southern states or his whole life? And by southern states are we taking Louisiana, Alabama, Florida & Georgia?

Does this mean for a short period of time he traveled through the southern states or his whole life? And by southern states are we taking Louisiana, Alabama, Florida & Georgia?

Urbex is looking to get a timeline and the states he traveled through.

The southern states usually also include Mississippi and the Carolinas, maybe Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky, and possibly Maryland, Missouri, and parts of Texas. I don't know whether the isotope areas correspond to the entire region, however.

Wow! I will always be amazed at what technology can do...I know isotope testing isn't that recent, but still.

Did it determine at what stages of his life he had travelled through the South?

Hello, everyone, I've been following this case for months now. It's a real head-scratcher!

I've read all the posts in this forum now (there's a lot of information! Come back, ColdCaseMan! <3) so here are a few thoughts I have that I don't think have been covered in too much detail. Sorry about the long post but I have 1001 questions!

1. This was a conversation on Lyle's Facebook group recently that I found interesting. I wondered what you guys thought. What on earth is this in the motel room under the towels? Photo here. It looks like sheets of drawing paper to me (size A1?); someone else suggested it was a shelf liner but it looks too big in my opinion. If it's paper, the motel wouldn't have provided this, surely? I can't see any in the first room (room 8) either. Perhaps he bought it from the store; if so, what happened to the pens/pencils? If it is paper and it was Lyle's, wouldn't that suggest Lyle was a keen sketcher/painter of some kind? An insight into who he was a person? This would be a great place to come and paint; the natural landscape of this part of WA is beautiful. Thoughts on what this 'thing' is?

2. I'm confused about the motel to be honest. Why aren't there any reviews from previous guests anywhere? Why are they not featured on any travel guide sites? How do they attract travelers without a website*, a rarity in 2015? Not a single review in the 15+ years since they opened? Are there any locals on WS who can tell us more about this place? Why Lyle was attracted to this establishment? How did he know about it?

* They list their website on their Yellow Pages listing as a computer repair business called '4D Computers' in the Lacey, WA, area. What's all that about?

3. Who was there on Monday morning when Lyle was found? I read on here that the maid said that Lyle was the only person checking out on Monday morning (so he told them when he was leaving) but yet BW and GB* were not on the premises, right? He came to the motel after being called by the maid; she was in Olympia as per the case file. So if Lyle didn't do what he did, who would have collected his room keys and the money he owed? The maid? Is that usual practice?

* It didn't dawn on me until I read the case files again but GB would have only been in his mid-twenties at the time, right? I know that nothing to do with anything but he had amassed a mini business empire by a young age (someone on here said he owned the grocery store as well)! Good for him.

4. The fact that Lyle left so much money puzzles me (enough for four nights I think), but that's been covered in great detail already on here.

5. Anyone notice that a whole roll of toilet paper has been used and thrown in the bathroom garbage bin? There's also what looks like rolled up tissue/toilet paper in the room bin too (the one with the newspaper). It looks hard - as if it's been wet.

6. To establish whether someone is "pacing up and down" the highway suggests that Lyle was being watched for a considerable amount of time. He wasn't just pacing, but rather pacing "up and down". However, the motel is not on the main road according to Google Maps, so I wonder how BW knew this. Unless someone who was working at the grocery store told her (echoing point 3 about the store/motel being connected).

7. I know eyewitness testimony are flawed at the best of times, but one would imagine that you could remember if someone had a backpack or not (BW said she couldn't be certain). They had two interactions - when Lyle checked in and when he changed rooms - and I imagine she would have seen him from the back as he exited the front desk area. How many people would she had checked in that weekend, anyway? Less than 10? This isn't a Hilton where hundreds of guests are coming and going; I thought a detail like this would be remembered only a couple of days after the fact, but obviously not. This also differs from GB's statement where he says that Lyle arrived with no bags of clothes.

8. "The subject was seen by several people standing on the porch of his room on Saturday afternoon." That's it? Didn't these "people" go into any further detail? It's all a bit vague.

9. Was Lyle wearing his underwear inside-out? Or is that the label from the Levi's jeans? Can anyone tell? Photo is NSFW.

10. According to the case files, the maid never actually managed to clean the room that weekend (Lyle refused room service on Saturday but asked for clean towels, and then flat out "sent her away" on Sunday!). Yet, the bag in the bathroom garbage bin looks like it's been emptied to me (the bag isn't fitted to the bin like it is in room 8). I wonder if Lyle disposed of his belongings in this bag?

Great post!

BBM.
Regarding what's under the towel, now that you bring it up, I have to wonder not just about the paper, but also about the wood underneath? I mean, if LE brought the paper in with them, that would make sense, but it's all sitting on a luggage rack, and those usually have canvass straps across the metal frame. Where'd the wood come from, and what is it? Isn't that wood?

Regarding the tag -- I think it's from his jeans and is hanging out because he had the waistband folded over. Speaking of which, it looks to me like he had lost quite a bit of weight based on how baggy the jeans are. I know that people often wear them baggy (and especially then and I think this has been discussed before), but there is something about the fit that makes me think it isn't intentional. It isn't a leap to think he was depressed given his manner of death, but I would guess he had been depressed for a while and his suicide wasn't a reaction to some very proximate event.

ETA: The more I think about it, the less I think that LE brought in the paper or the wood under it. If that set-up was LE's, I don't think the photographer would have taken a picture so specifically of it, nor do I think that it would have been included in their file on the case. Also, I don't think they would have put one of the towels form the room on top of it. Stranger things have happened, but on balance, I think that was set up like that by our victim. Why?

The more I think about it, the less I think that LE brought in the paper or the wood under it. If that set-up was LE's, I don't think the photographer would have taken a picture so specifically of it, nor do I think that it would have been included in their file on the case. Also, I don't think they would have put one of the towels form the room on top of it. Stranger things have happened, but on balance, I think that was set up like that by our victim. Why?

Respectfully snipped by me...

What would the paper have been for if it was LE's? I'm struggling to think of a reason. Is it to create contrast or something so you can see the 'evidence' if it's placed on a darker object (in this case the wood) for a photo? But if it was that, why didn't LE place paper under the other towels on the desk before taking a photo? It does look like it was already in the hotel room but for what purpose, I don't know. And now you mention the wood, I'm not sure why that's there either.

That could be part of a shelf from the closet. Maybe it was knocked down while he was, well, I'll leave it at that.

That could be part of a shelf from the closet. Maybe it was knocked down while he was, well, I'll leave it at that.

I think it may be out of the closet as well. You can see he took the hangers out too.

Good observation about the hangers, too -- if he took the shelves and hangers out of the closet to make room, then it seems a whole lot more plausible to me now that the paper is shelf liner that was taken out at the same time.

I think if you look at the hangers and everything there, it's probably out of the closet. Normally the luggage holder is in a closet. The wood is probably a shelf that had the paper on it. They probably provide the paper to line the drawers with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member