WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never heard of Joyce Carol Oates who wrote the novel with Lyle Stevick. I never studied literature in high school and college except what was required. Seems "Lyle" identified with this character. If someone took American Lit at the College level, how likely do you think this book would be on the reading list? I think more in terms of Steinbeck, Twain, and Salinger when I think American Lit. I see this author taught at Princeton. She was from upstate NY. Seems our Lyle Doe, used this name as a private joke maybe. Some commentary that if he had not made the internet, nobody would have ever linked his name to that novel.

I have a degree in English Literature and, although I know her works and have read a few, I did not have any of her books or short stories on any English syllabus. But that could just have been for my college. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a degree in English Literature and, although I know her works and have read a few, I did not have any of her books or short stories on any English syllabus. But that could just have been for my college. Hope that helps.

Thanks....makes me even more skeptic about the chance that somebody would use the name of this book character....

Oates is still living and still writing and teaching.

Lyle Stevick appears in the novel You Must Remember This, a tale of incest and violence in a decaying upstate New York industrial city that seems rather like the places around Oates' home town of Lockport and Millersport, NY. Lyle in the story owns a secondhand store and is absorbed with trying to build a backyard bomb shelter. He constantly thinks of suicide; at one point he keeps a noose handy in case he needs it. Two other characters in the family have attempted suicide. (I'm going by memory here so I might be off on some of the details.)

It was quite popular in the early 90's when it was on college and even some high school reading lists, and was also read by people out in the real world. This was back when we still read literary fiction once in a while :p. It wasn't her best book and I wouldn't expect anybody under the age of 40 now to have read it or even heard of it even if they're fans of Oates's writing.

I would guess that he might have read it in college around 1990 and it made an impression on him, so when he needed an alias, it was a name that came to mind.

I remember qoutes from books and story lines, and things that touched me....but no name comes in mind, except some writers....even that fades away... but nothing is impossible. Some quotes right from my hart....

Beauty is a dungeon where we wither away and be forgotten,
When all hope is gone, dying is just a formality

I would guess that he might have read it in college around 1990 and it made an impression on him, so when he needed an alias, it was a name that came to mind.

Considering the Lyle character almost hung himself in the novel, it was more than just an alias that popped in his head. He clearly planned his suicide before he checked in, and used that name as his personal foreboding message if not to only amuse himself..

Considering the Lyle character almost hung himself in the novel, it was more than just an alias that popped in his head. He clearly planned his suicide before he checked in, and used that name as his personal foreboding message if not to only amuse himself..
Not necessarily, I am unsure why it is impossible for him to have the same name as a character in a novel it could just be all coincidence and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, I am unsure why it is impossible for him to have the same name as a character in a novel it could just be all coincidence and such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That would be an amazing coincidence given he hung himself and that character tried to hang himself.

That would be an amazing coincidence given he hung himself and that character tried to hang himself.

On the whole I tend to agree with you, but amazing, tragic, and ironic coincidences do happen. The difference in spelling gives me pause, too.

Oates is still living and still writing and teaching.

Wouldn't that make him 38 or something?

I keep thinking what would I do if I checked in under a false name....wich name would I use.... a very common name....a name I saw, heard somewhere along the way, just somebody I met in a bus..a combination of an old friends name and a fantasy name..a name I like because it sounds good....or a character of a book...must be fresh read...because after a short while I forget the names...

The idea he took the name from a book interests me. My username here is not my real name but it's just a long running joke between friends that I have now become 'K. Petrova.' So yeah, he could have took it from something like that, I see that.

I'd love a coupon! My sister and I have the same father, whom we know nothing about because he was adopted. We would love to find out more about his bloodline.

Ancestry.com has their DNA kits on sale until November 28th. They are $69.00, usually $99.00.

That is all...[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ancestry.com has their DNA kits on sale until November 28th. They are $69.00, usually $99.00.

That is all...[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think I may pick one or 2 up. Would love to send one to my uncle in Hungary and test my 3 year old grandson. Doesn't look like you can stack a coupon on it. I have not started my free 14 day trial. I've been working on my tree, getting as much free info as I can, then will do the trial when I have time to research a few people I can't find much on.

Save 30% on AncestryDNA.

Discover your ethnic origins and make new family connections with this simple AncestryDNA® test — at our lowest price of the year.

$69* - SAVE 30% - reg. price $99 - Save now
Shipping $9.95
Total $78.95

I think I may pick one or 2 up. Would love to send one to my uncle in Hungary and test my 3 year old grandson. Doesn't look like you can stack a coupon on it. I have not started my free 14 day trial. I've been working on my tree, getting as much free info as I can, then will do the trial when I have time to research a few people I can't find much on.

Save 30% on AncestryDNA.

My sister and I ordered ours! So excited!

i said this a few years ago, but my pov hasn't changed - make up a fake name then google it. you'll find tons of wild stuff. not necessary for him to have been aware of the book or character.

My sister and I ordered ours! So excited!

Just ordered one for my grandson. It's going to be a long few months waiting for the results lol

I used 2 cash back sites, Ebates and Top cash back. Both gave me 7.5% for buying the kit. I've been doing pretty good shopping with it this weekend. Wish I had it when I ordered the 4 other kits I bought.

Save 30% on AncestryDNA.

The sale has been extended

Just ordered one for my grandson. It's going to be a long few months waiting for the results lol

I used 2 cash back sites, Ebates and Top cash back. Both gave me 7.5% for buying the kit. I've been doing pretty good shopping with it this weekend. Wish I had it when I ordered the 4 other kits I bought.

Sis, my nephew got his results back in two weeks. He was needing answers to a disease that runs in hubby's family. Hereditary pancreatitis.

I'm new to the site this case has caught my attention for a few different reasons mainly because I've lost a loved to suicide... just a thought this has probably been mentioned what about hospitals or mental health facilities in the area or the area he gave the fake address maybe he was admitted for attempts just a thought

I'm new to the site this case has caught my attention for a few different reasons mainly because I've lost a loved to suicide... just a thought this has probably been mentioned what about hospitals or mental health facilities in the area or the area he gave the fake address maybe he was admitted for attempts just a thought

Good point. Surely there must be some kind of connection to the address he gave. Well at least around the area.

Sis, my nephew got his results back in two weeks. He was needing answers to a disease that runs in hubby's family. Hereditary pancreatitis.

I mailed mine on Saturday morning and got the email yesterday that they received it. I can't wait to get my results! Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo55