WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you did miss on some important details. If you go back a few pages you can gain better understanding….

No, the problem is the sample that LE has is not a Y-DNA profile. The current sample that LE has is not usable in this sense. Unfortunately, companies like ancestry and 23andme only extract DNA from saliva. I contacted the coroner regarding this and have been looking for a company that would be willing to work with law enforcement to get the DNA from blood and then submit to organization like ancestry so Lyle can be identified.

---------------------------------

One of the websleuths (Buttons) had emailed Mr. Youmans back in Dec 2016 and got the following feedback,

“I spoke at length with Colleen Fitzpatrick, the woman who solved the Lori Ruff case. The problem is, the DNA profile we have for Lyle is different than one you would get from a company like Ancestry. We need a Y-DNA profile, and from what I have learned, the profile is different. I had hoped to submit our profile to one of the Ancestry companies, but from what I understand, they won’t cooperate, as they don’t want to be associated with Law Enforcement. I understand their reasoning, as they don’t want people to submit a saliva sample to find their ancestors, and wind up getting arrested for some old crime, where their DNA was in CODIS. I’ve tried to get Lyle’s DNA profile from the University of North Texas DNA database, but they won’t release it to me. They said they would give it to another government lab, as the DNA sequence is so long, that a lab would know which section to compare.
If I had known about companies like Ancestry and 23 and me back in 2001, I probably could have obtained a saliva sample from Lyle and submitted it to the private company, but all we took was a blood sample that I submitted to the University of North Texas, and the profile was run through CODIS.” - Lane Youmans, Grays Harbor Coroner

This is another email from Mr. Youmans when I emailed him in early January of this year:

“Ancestry and 23 and me have the equipment to extract a DNA profile from a saliva sample, but as I was told, they don’t possess the technology to extract DNA from a blood sample at this time, but possibly in the future. At this time, there is nothing we can do. There is also the issue of these companies working with a Law Enforcement agency.” - Lane Youmans, Grays Harbor Coroner

-------------------

There has got to be a way that this can be solved. I believe that there are people out there who miss Lyle and mourn his loss. I feel responsible to give him back his name and let his memory rest once and for all.
Thats if they have submitted to that database.

Here is my perspective and I have been silent long enough on the subject:

I have an ancestry account but have not submitted DNA, and I am not sure I want to in all honesty after reading this and similar missing persons threads about this very thing.

It is appalling that some people think it is perfectly acceptable to invade ones privacy and use innocent databases and people, to identify someone who took great lengths not to be identified, just to identify him.

Not to mention that Ancestry and 23&Me would both be sued for releasing the info without all those peoples permission as thats not what they upload DNA for. As would whatever agency uploaded it to begin with...talk about invasion of privacy on a massive scale.

Those companies would be obliterated if they used them for those purposes. It is sad to see so many feel they should be used for them with no thought or regard for the innocent people whose privacy is invaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The testing center info has been forwarded to the detective working on Lyle's case. If they do the testing, it takes about 4 weeks to get results back. I will check back with them later to see if there is anything new.

Does anyone know if Michael Negrete has been considered?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/negrete_michael.html

This turned out to be a whole heck of a lot closer than I thought it would. My first reaction was no, nothing like him, but here's the side by side (click to enlarge, if necessary). And he has attached earlobes.

My biggest reservation is the height; Negrete is small and slender at 5'8" and 130 lbs, while Lyle was a six-footer. But at 18, growth is still possible, and if he shot up that much in two years, that might explain him being so thin. (But he wouldn't have lost weight.) He was living in Los Angeles, which appears to be within the isotope ranges for where Lyle was two years before he died.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4022dmca.html
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?27120-CA-Michael-Negrete-18-Los-Angeles-10-Dec-1999

lyle stevik with Mike Negrete.png

Thats if they have submitted to that database.

Here is my perspective and I have been silent long enough on the subject:

I have an ancestry account but have not submitted DNA, and I am not sure I want to in all honesty after reading this and similar missing persons threads about this very thing.

It is appalling that some people think it is perfectly acceptable to invade ones privacy and use innocent databases and people, to identify someone who took great lengths not to be identified, just to identify him.

Not to mention that Ancestry and 23&Me would both be sued for releasing the info without all those peoples permission as thats not what they upload DNA for. As would whatever agency uploaded it to begin with...talk about invasion of privacy on a massive scale.

Those companies would be obliterated if they used them for those purposes. It is sad to see so many feel they should be used for them with no thought or regard for the innocent people whose privacy is invaded.

People have the option to share their DNA info with others looking for relatives. I have to admit, its not something I would do. In the FLEK case a cousin had shared that info which led to a match to FLEK's daughter. In Lyle's case, I think he relinquished any claim to privacy when he killed himself in a motel room. He clearly wanted his body found, or at least did not care either way. He could have accomplished a self hanging up in the hills somewhere. I have a lot of empathy for him, but he created this unsolved case. Having said that, i agree, there should be limits to what law enforcement can do with DNA from non criminal data bases.

This turned out to be a whole heck of a lot closer than I thought it would. My first reaction was no, nothing like him, but here's the side by side (click to enlarge, if necessary). And he has attached earlobes.

My biggest reservation is the height; Negrete is small and slender at 5'8" and 130 lbs, while Lyle was a six-footer. But at 18, growth is still possible, and if he shot up that much in two years, that might explain him being so thin. (But he wouldn't have lost weight.) He was living in Los Angeles, which appears to be within the isotope ranges for where Lyle was two years before he died.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?27120-CA-Michael-Negrete-18-Los-Angeles-10-Dec-1999

attachment.php

Yes, I can see some similarities, but most of the things that are see are strong differences... cheekbones, jaw lines, doesn't seem like Michael had attached earlobes either... Michael's disappearance also leads one to strongly believe there was foul play involved. He was an 18 yr old kid going to college on music scholarship that left his dorm room after playing video games and never returned. It is definitely worth considering him as Lyle but chances are pretty high that Michael is not Lyle.

Not to sound corny... I have always thought that if I saw a picture of Lyle, I would immediately recognize that it's him. I have looked
at the postmortem photos (both in the room, with and without his face being so swollen, his face from different angles) that
it has just burned in my memory.

Yes, I can see some similarities, but most of the things that are see are strong differences... cheekbones, jaw lines, doesn't seem like Michael had attached earlobes either... Michael's disappearance also leads one to strongly believe there was foul play involved. He was an 18 yr old kid going to college on music scholarship that left his dorm room after playing video games and never returned. It is definitely worth considering him as Lyle but chances are pretty high that Michael is not Lyle.

Not to sound corny... I have always thought that if I saw a picture of Lyle, I would immediately recognize that it's him. I have looked
at the postmortem photos (both in the room, with and without his face being so swollen, his face from different angles) that
it has just burned in my memory.

I think the nose is the closest one we have seen as well as the square chin and the shape at the bottom of the chin. I think the shape of the brows and eyes are pretty close as well. I can't see the ears well enough. Have to remember that Lyle was found three years after Michael disappeared and Michael's featuures would have matured and we don't know how old he is in the pics.

Frankly, I don't think Lyle is in a missing persons database. He was either reported missing but nobody followed up to find out more or he was ever reported missing. I mean, this man have very unique features that can be identified almost immediately. I don't think there is any hope in looking into databases to find a possible match... simply.. because I don't think he will be found there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pierre Arnaud side by side with Lyle. Click to enlarge, if necessary. lyle stevik with Pierre Arnaud.png

Pierre looks like he could have been quite a bit heavier, which would fit with the steadily decreasing belt size reported for Lyle.

Stevik Toilet Seat.jpg

Anyone ever notice that the sanitary band is still on the toilet seat? Don't they fall off the second you lift up the toilet seat cover? Does this mean he didn't use the restroom between when the room was cleaned on a Saturday and when his body was found on Monday?

View attachment 113745

Anyone ever notice that the sanitary band is still on the toilet seat? Don't they fall off the second you lift up the toilet seat cover? Does this mean he didn't use the restroom between when the room was cleaned on a Saturday and when his body was found on Monday?

If he lifted lid and seat together to pee, it wouldn't necessarily come apart.

Couldn't let him go after all....trying to look at it in a different angle.... In some other research I found this.....https://adoptiondatabase.quickbase.com/db/7c2gsmqv?a=dr&rid=10678&rl=c3fhBirthmother is searching for her adopted son. DOB adoptee 05/15/1976, halfThai/Chinese, half mixed European and part Cherokee Indian.

Call me crazy...just want to add a fresh idea...

attachment.php

Chin and nose...hmmmm did not check the stats....good find I think....

Pierre Arnaud side by side with Lyle. Click to enlarge, if necessary.
attachment.php

Pierre looks like he could have been quite a bit heavier, which would fit with the steadily decreasing belt size reported for Lyle.

I strongly advise to look also on his Facebook site...there are a lot of people (and as I recall this guy also) who are ruled out unofficially because all kinds of different things....

View attachment 113745

Well it's not that odd considering when he actually committed the suicide. I am sure there is an estimated time frame in the coroner's report.

Perhaps he never used the bathroom, used it while he was showering or put the band back on.

Can't let this go... I wonder if Lyle didn't have a family or wasn't close to them at all.

Me, for example... When I moved away from my parents, I was adamant that I wanted to be away and have no contact with them. I have not had any contact with my family for years. If I went missing, they would not report me since we don't have any contact and are hundreds of miles away from each other. I suspect that Lyle didn't have much of any family that he was close with. He was perpetually consumed with depression and moved away from the life he once knew. When people say that it's odd that no one is looking for him... It really isn't that odd. He probably felt that no one really knew him or who he was on a deeper level and that was the reason for him concealing his identity.

Just speculation. On some level, I do feel like I can relate to him. Sometimes life creates the perfect conditions to foster isolation and depression... it becomes exhausting and heavy.

Can't let this go... I wonder if Lyle didn't have a family or wasn't close to them at all.

Me, for example... When I moved away from my parents, I was adamant that I wanted to be away and have no contact with them. I have not had any contact with my family for years. If I went missing, they would not report me since we don't have any contact and are hundreds of miles away from each other. I suspect that Lyle didn't have much of any family that he was close with. He was perpetually consumed with depression and moved away from the life he once knew. When people say that it's odd that no one is looking for him... It really isn't that odd. He probably felt that no one really knew him or who he was on a deeper level and that was the reason for him concealing his identity.

Just speculation. On some level, I do feel like I can relate to him. Sometimes life creates the perfect conditions to foster isolation and depression... it becomes exhausting and heavy.

This right here!!

yes I believe it! or he can be from another country and over stayed his visa and did not have a paper trail here and no family or family not close in another country where time goes by and no one contacts each other....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member