Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 57s57 seconds ago
In his report, Evans said: "Looking at the scene, the trajectory of bullet, powder marks on left hand, and powder on the pillow, it would appear this death was consistent with suicide." He says in court: "I thought there was a reasonable chance he had done this himself." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 24s24 seconds ago
He says he has no training in firearm use reconstruction, or bullet trajectory. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 30s31 seconds ago
The Crown asks Evans if he has seen other suicides where a person shot themselves through the eye. Millard's lawyer objects. The witness is sent out for an argument. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Pillay says he has no disclosure on this, any studies, or foundation for that argument. He calls this "off the cuff and unfair." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 16s17 seconds ago
"The Crown isn't bound to limit their questions to things that have been provided to the defence," Jill Cameron says, for the Crown. #Millard

Evans says he was told police would take the gun to try to get fingerprints from it, but there were no usable prints on it. He says he didn't get any information about DNA on the gun. #Millard

In June of 2013, Evans was still classifying this death as a suicide. He says that's because the injury started at Millard's left eye and the trajectory of the bullet had gone across the midline of the brain ... #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 53s53 seconds ago
... and into the right side of the brain, which was consistent with the entry through the left eye. There was also evidence of soot on the pillow, and some on Millard's hands, he says. #Millard

And, he says, to a certain extent, the decision hinged on how his left hand was found with his thumb curled up, which "might have been consistent" with holding the gun and pulling the trigger with his thumb. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Now looking at a photo of Millard's body. Evans says he doesn't see any obvious soot in his hand in that photo. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 51s51 seconds ago
"At the time, I thought it was more consistent with a suicide. In retrospect ..." Evans says. Millard's lawyer is now quickly on his feet objecting. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 34s35 seconds ago
Evans says the history he got from the family, saying that Millard had financial problems and had episodes of depression, helped him in his determination of suicide. #Millard

If the door to the bedroom was unlocked that gives DM s lawyer an opening to say anyone could have murdered Wayne Millard.

Including the guy who lived in the home and likely knew how to get in and out of the house undetected. Through backyards and over fences even if necessary.

But you're right, since no tests were done for unknown DNA or prints on any of the home's surfaces and door handles, and a patio door was unlocked, that is definitely an argument that could be made.

But will they make both arguments? A suicide and/or an unknown intruder?

MOO

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
The Crown is finished. Ravin Pillay is now cross-examining for Millard. #Millard

Evans says he doesn't have his notes for this case anymore. He can't find them. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 55s55 seconds ago
Pillay says because he doesn't have his notes, he can't give significant details about what happened. Evans says most of the information about his notes ended up in his reports. #Millard

Pillay is hammering home that Evans can't say how many police where there, who he interacted with, and what those officers were doing. #Millard

Pillay says he's trying to establish that Evans' recollection "is not that great." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Evans says there's a "difference in his recollection" of where the blankets were on Millard's body and what we see in pictures. Evans says they were covering him. In pictures, they're pulled down towards the bottom of his legs. #Millard

Evans says he didn't give any instruction to any police officers about what they should do at the scene -- save for pointing them to the direction of the gun. #Millard

Interesting that Evans made no mention of vomit.

At this point I believe that information was taken out of context I. The tweets. Christie Blatchford's article has this to say about that...

And yet, when the first paramedic to arrive at the scene — the call came in from Wayne’s long-time ex-wife, who had been called to the house by Dellen after his purported discovery of the body — was asked if he observed “any injuries,” his reply was that he had not.

Medic Bill Smith told the judge, in cross-examination by defence lawyer Ravin Pillay, that he’d been told that Wayne was an alcoholic and, he said, it was not unheard of for long-time alcoholics to have blood and vomit coming from their mouths. Sometimes, apparently, the blood vessels there burst.

Christie Blatchford: Millard murder ruled a suicide inside two days

So perhaps that was just testimony that these things can happen, but not necessarily testimony that these things did happen.

MOO

"At that time, in your mind, it was a suicide, right?" Pillay asks. "I was leading towards a suicide, yes," Evans says. #Millard

Evans says he "didn't see any reason to hold the scene" until after the autopsy -- so it was released. #Millard

Pillay is now talking about his second report -- here, suicide is still the cause of death. Contributing factors are alcohol abuse. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 44s44 seconds ago
His last report was on June 14, 2013. This is Evans's final report. Again: he ruled this case a suicide, six and a half months after it happened. By this time, he has also gotten the toxicology report. #Millard

But he took a cab there. And his cell phone.

Exactly, but I question whether he took the cab right to the house. That would have stood out to any possible witnesses or surveillance cameras on that small court. Perhaps to another location on a neighboring street and then over the fences into the yard? Seems like something this "genius" would like to do on a "mission".

MOO

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 28s29 seconds ago
Evans says he didn't find any other injuries to Millard's body, other than the gunshot wound to the eye. #Millard

"You can't tell us exactly what you did with the gun in the bag correct?" Pillay says. Evans responds he saw the bag sitting between the bed and the dresser. "I was trying to get an idea of how much blood there might be ... " #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 54s55 seconds ago
...I just took my hand and pushed the left side of the bag over to the right side of the bag." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 52s53 seconds ago
"I wasn't picking up a bag and pulling it over," Evans says. Pillay asks if he picked it up and showed it to a police officer, and he says no. "I'm going to suggest sir you picked up a bag and showed it to a police officer," Pillay says. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 47s48 seconds ago
Evans responds that's not his job. "I have to leave evidence at the scene as it was." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 23s24 seconds ago
The defence is now done. Evans is now finished. #Millard

Exactly, but I question whether he took the cab right to the house. That would have stood out to any possible witnesses or surveillance cameras on that small court. Perhaps to another location on a neighboring street and then over the fences into the yard? Seems like something this "genius" would like to do on a "mission".

MOO

It may even turn out that the cab was a deliberate setup of an alibi. Taken somewhere else completely, where a vehicle was stashed or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214